Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 11:46 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by blase
The 3000 pts a night *does* seem steep just for lounge access, but you get a larger room as well it looks like.
Thoughts?
If you're not going to be Diamond when you visit, I think the 3,000 points/nt for lounge access would be well spent, unless of course you are very short on points. I stayed at this hotel last July and loved this lounge - it was a great place for relaxing in the evenings with a peaceful atmosphere and great snacks and drinks. This is definitely one of the nicest lounges I've ever been in. ^
Old Mar 25, 2012, 4:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jkm024
If you're not going to be Diamond when you visit, I think the 3,000 points/nt for lounge access would be well spent, unless of course you are very short on points. I stayed at this hotel last July and loved this lounge - it was a great place for relaxing in the evenings with a peaceful atmosphere and great snacks and drinks. This is definitely one of the nicest lounges I've ever been in. ^
The lounge access is certainly worth it as breakfast is provided in the restaurant (except on Sundays), as well as cocktails and canapes at night. if the 3,000 points books you into a Club Deluxe, absolutely take it. The room is the size of a suite.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
+1 to the above - it's a no-brainer for 3k points.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shillard
+1 to the above - it's a no-brainer for 3k points.
+2, another vote from me
Old May 1, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
Such a shame that I have 4 Diamond suite certificates expiring....today, about right now....and no bookings to use them on.

Le sigh....:-(
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:07 pm

Programs: AS, HH, UA, IHG
Do suites at the PH include access to the Club lounge? GH explicitly includes Club in suite descriptions, not so at PH.
Won't be Diamond by arrival date so this may factor into the choice between the two.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 9:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Marriott PLT, SPG PLT, AA EXP, Virgin Elevate
agreed, I love this lounge... hotel is my second home.

Originally Posted by jkm024
Old Aug 30, 2012, 6:50 am

church bell noise?

Hi, I was looking at booking this hotel for an upcoming weekend stay in Melbourne but was concerned about some comments I found online that complained of waking up due to early morning church bells on the weekend from the cathedral across the street. Has this been a problem for anyone on this forum? Is there a certain room/location to ask for?

Thanks so much for any experiences!
Old Aug 30, 2012, 11:58 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by victoras
Hi, I was looking at booking this hotel for an upcoming weekend stay in Melbourne but was concerned about some comments I found online that complained of waking up due to early morning church bells on the weekend from the cathedral across the street. Has this been a problem for anyone on this forum? Is there a certain room/location to ask for?

Thanks so much for any experiences!
Welcome to Flyertalk and the Hyatt Gold Passport Community ^

I've never had problems with the bells @ the Park Hyatt Melbourne and I'm a light sleeper. That’s not to say one couldn't.
During the day I found them entertaining and cool actually. It’s also not like they rang them that often.
What drove me away from the hotel was having my Diamond breakfast refused at check in,closure of the club lounge to save money,costly inedible room service that in the past was senstaional,turning the hotel into part hospital and a host of other silly nonsense not worth going into.
To the hotels credit they did have some really nice team members and as far as upgrading Diamond members they certainly did do a fine job.

Its been so long that I've been there I can't say if anything has gotten better or worse at present including the church bells
I will return knowing that General Manager Arthur Holliger has left the hotel.
Though he had 38 years with Hyatt he didn’t seem to care about what guests experienced on any level. He was just operationally running the hotel period.

And of course though the rooms are not as nice at the Grand Hyatt it's where I find the fuller guest experience outshines the Park Hyatt at least in years past.
The Grand Hyatt continues to have an amazing Club lounge and heartfelt caring team members,great location and best health club in the CBD if you like to swim or weight train/work out
I’m ready to book a return trip just to go back and experience it all over again!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Aug 30, 2012 at 8:07 pm
Old Aug 30, 2012, 3:54 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I'm all of my hundreds of nights at this hotel, I have never been woken by Church bells.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 7:04 pm

Thanks so much for the input! I ended up emailing the manager of the hotel (he had multiple posts on TripAdvisor) and they made a note to put me in the Park Tower (rather than Cathedral Tower) to minimize the noise. . . Now just hope all the other things 777 mentioned have improved.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
And of course though the rooms are not as nice at the Grand Hyatt it's where I find the fuller guest experience outshines the Park Hyatt at least in years past.
The Grand Hyatt continues to have an amazing Club lounge and heartfelt caring team members,great location and best health club in the CBD if you like to swim or weight train/work out
I’m ready to book a return trip just to go back and experience it all over again!
Can't agree with some of this:

- The pool at the GH is pus, the PH has one of the best hotel pools in the country, a real 25m lap pool in a wonderful setting.

- The rooms at the GH are horribly noisy. The Cathedral bells have never bothered me at the PH and I sleep with one eye open and (as recommended by Lazarus Long) with my clothes and weapons where I can find them in the dark. The gap between the door and floor of GH rooms is large enough to make me wary of limbo dancers.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 11:32 pm

Can't agree with some of this:

- The pool at the GH is pus, the PH has one of the best hotel pools in the country, a real 25m lap pool in a wonderful setting.

- The rooms at the GH are horribly noisy. The Cathedral bells have never bothered me at the PH and I sleep with one eye open and (as recommended by Lazarus Long) with my clothes and weapons where I can find them in the dark. The gap between the door and floor of GH rooms is large enough to make me wary of limbo dancers.
Thanks for the thoughts
I am speaking of the fitness work out equipment @ The Grand Hyatt as I never use the pool.
Michael Phelps wont have to worry that I'll be hogging up the pool during his stay
For those who are pool users and I'll asume thats you I won’t doubt your assessment for a second.
The Grand Hyatt is vastly superior in the gym arena though.

As far as noise complaints both the Park Hyatt and the Grand Hyatt have had complaints of noise from select guests.
As a Diamond member I have never had a serious problem in either hotel where I couldn’t sleep and I am a light sleeper.
And my giraffe and helicopter fit nicely on the roof of both hotels ^
(See UTUBE I AM A DIAMOND GUEST)

Sure housekeepers can be noisy sometime but name a hotel thats 100% sound proof it’s pretty rare in my experience.
If you get a noisy room anywhere and it bothers you do as I do ask for a different room

Now about those limbo dancers I'll be watching to see if any slip under my door.Hopefully they can teach this old Ambassador how to dance
I'm ready to try the PH out again at some point just to see how time has treated a former favorite.
Now that management has rotated I can't think of a better time to try a stay.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 4:47 pm

Gym bunnies consistently recommend the GH over the PH for the equipment - I'm content to observe the more aesthetically pleasing devotees at the PH through the glass wall separating the pool from the machinery.

PH is definitely worth another look, a superb hotel with some great staff members.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 5:48 pm

Gym bunnies consistently recommend the GH over the PH for the equipment - I'm content to observe the more aesthetically pleasing devotees at the PH through the glass wall separating the pool from the machinery.

PH is definitely worth another look, a superb hotel with some great staff members.
Who are you calling a gym bunny?
I appreciate the vote of confidence in the property.
I know for some time years ago the hotel had a steady vocal group of unhappy customers.
That's highly unusual for any Park Hyatt one of the greatest hotel brands ever created.The hotel hit a fantastic stride after its first few years after the Grand Opening

Park Hyatt was the brand in the mid 90s that changed the way I looked at hotels and the business world forever.
Who can forget the hall of fame Park Hyatt San Francisco who was the first hotel to teach me that paying considerably more for your room could provide far greater value based on exceptional personalities and excellent customer service ^
Off topic The Le Meridien SF is now inferior though the lovely rooms and suites are still nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.