Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Melbourne REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:06 am

Programs: Krisflyer (SQ) Gold Membership, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Accor Platinum and Hilton HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Are you determined to stay at the Park Hyatt? IMO the e-cert would be better utilised at the Grand Hyatt. The Grand Hyatt's lounge has far superior food and beverage offerings.
+1

Park Hyatt Suite Room is just a bit larger and organized than Park Deluxe Room.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Gracias!

Thanks for all the input. I called up the PH Melbourne today, and spoke with their reservations department. They didn't seem to have any interest in providing a Terrace Suite, and after waiting on hold for 10 minutes to get anyone on the line, I decided to not try and push the issue with them.

So, booked the GH at a little more than the PH, and got my suite upgrade transferred to the GH.

55SM compared to 80SM is a big difference. Club benefits being better is a bonus, too.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
55SM compared to 80SM is a big difference. Club benefits being better is a bonus, too.
I got into the habit of using the PH during the renovations of the GH, and it appears to have been an age since I had a suite at the Grand. Have some suite UP to use, will move back to Collins Street.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 11:38 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BKKROP
I got into the habit of using the PH during the renovations of the GH, and it appears to have been an age since I had a suite at the Grand. Have some suite UP to use, will move back to Collins Street.
If it's your first time to MEL and it's more than a few nights, why not split the stay? Use the e-cert at the GH, and accept a Park Suite at the PH? I think this would allow you to experience both properties for their different attractions.

The GH is a stunning property, recently refurbished, and the common areas are quite stunning.

The PH, however, is more of an upscale, boutique property that was designed as a residence.

They are a 7 minute walk from each other.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 2:59 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Thanks
Old Feb 12, 2012, 4:12 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
If it's your first time to MEL and it's more than a few nights, why not split the stay? Use the e-cert at the GH, and accept a Park Suite at the PH? I think this would allow you to experience both properties for their different attractions.

The GH is a stunning property, recently refurbished, and the common areas are quite stunning.

The PH, however, is more of an upscale, boutique property that was designed as a residence.

They are a 7 minute walk from each other.

Or 2-3 minutes on the tram.....

I sometimes split stays to keep up my annual stay count - the PH truly is the superior property, GH is where I seem to burn most of my suite upgrades (to get a bad away from the door - m0hamed isn't joking about the noise coming under the door. Best to keep a weapon handy in case a limbo dancer decides to sneak in.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
Park Hyatt - suite upgrade datapoint

Well, I am staying here right now. Booked a Park King, and as a Diamond, used a Suite Award and got a "Park Suite".

It has a balcony (terrace) and is a nice space of sitting room with TV and fridge, then a luggage area and wardrobe, a big bathroom and spa, lovely King bedroom area, and an outdoors balcony screened by box hedge.

Well worth it.

Now: what am I going to do with my other Suite awards in the next 2 days!?!?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:09 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by zbender
Well, I am staying here right now. Booked a Park King, and as a Diamond, used a Suite Award and got a "Park Suite".

It has a balcony (terrace) and is a nice space of sitting room with TV and fridge, then a luggage area and wardrobe, a big bathroom and spa, lovely King bedroom area, and an outdoors balcony screened by box hedge.

Well worth it.

I think you'll find you're in a Terrace Suite and not a Park Suite. I was assigned this room type last week.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:11 am

Programs: QR Gold; EY Gold; Hilton Gold; IHG Plat Amb; Marriott Gold Elite; Hertz Pres Circ
I think you'll find you're in a Terrace Suite and not a Park Suite. I was assigned this room type last week.
Yes indeed: they specifically called it a "Park Suite", but it's a Terrace Suite as far as I am concerned. :-) That's why I put it in quote marks.

No fireplace, unless it's behind some door or cupboard, and I have missed it.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:33 am

The fireplace should have been under the TV. But as I said before, there are 36 different room types....
Old Feb 26, 2012, 3:35 am

The fireplace should have been under the TV. But as I said before, there are 36 different room types....
I really do thank you, as your info has been really helpful. Under the sitting-room TV is a cupboard with fridge.

Under the bedroom TV is the same cupboard, no fridge.

The spa TV has no fireplace! :-P

Another of the 36 room types: documented.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by zbender

You can use your diamond suite upgrades for future bookings beyond Feb 29. Don't let them go to waste.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:04 pm

Programs: QF Plat+ LTG/ OW Emerald, VA Plat, NZ Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Whatsit. Taxation is theft.
You're not a real expert until you've figured out how to dismantle the fireplace to adjust the gas flow controls underneath it.
Old Mar 1, 2012, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by shillard
You're not a real expert until you've figured out how to dismantle the fireplace to adjust the gas flow controls underneath it.
Touche'!
Old Mar 25, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: AA LT Gold, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, SPG Gold, PC Plat Ambassador
Thoughts on booking a Club room using points?

Question about this property for an award stay next year. I'm looking to go on an Australian vacation for my 40th birthday next year, flying into SYD and starting w/the Park Hyatt Sydney, then visiting other areas without a Hyatt, then finishing up in Melbourne with 3 nights at PH Melbourne. However, due to the whims of award flights, I can only depart MEL on March 5th. Which means if I don't requalify (and I probably won't), I won't be diamond anymore when I stay.

Upon looking at the award options, I see I can book either a King room for 15000 pts, or a Club room for 3000 pts more a night (with my limited experience in booking award nights, I've never seen that before)! I'm thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that if I were to stay on award nights even as a diamond, I most likely wouldn't get upgraded to a suite, and if I can book the Club room using points, I'll still get breakfast/lounge access... so it might not be that detrimental not being Diamond at that point.

The 3000 pts a night *does* seem steep just for lounge access, but you get a larger room as well it looks like.

Thoughts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.