Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrades Suck at Hyatt

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2008, 9:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Upgrades Suck at Hyatt

While trying to book a room in BC, i indicated that I have a suite upgrade cert. that would like to use. They give me some bogus rate to use that cert. with. We are all well aware of their RACK Rate, which is always unpublished. Well, according to the cert the AAA rate will work, i asked what the AAA rate is and it DOES NOT match whats on their website. Why doesnt their system sync up with their own website. This is completely LAME!
Old Jul 2, 2008, 10:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
There are 2 types of suite upgrades that I am aware of: Diamonds receive a complimentary one yearly which is usable for almost all rates- but it is based on availability at checkin. The 6000 point GP suite upgrade requires the Prevailing Rate as listed on the web site- higher than the AAA rate. I'm not sure which one you and the hotel were discussing.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 12:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mmgm
There are 2 types of suite upgrades that I am aware of: Diamonds receive a complimentary one yearly which is usable for almost all rates- but it is based on availability at checkin. The 6000 point GP suite upgrade requires the Prevailing Rate as listed on the web site- higher than the AAA rate. I'm not sure which one you and the hotel were discussing.
The Diamond award one...
Old Jul 3, 2008, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
The Diamond award one...
So, you should have just booked a room, at the best rate you could get and show up with the cert and hope they had a suite available.

That is how that Certificate works.

Trying to pre-book it directly with the hotel is not going to work.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
They don't suck unless you suck.

Anyway I am quite satisfied with Diamond upgrades beyond what is required by the T&C. Upgrades are only better for IHG RA's and for SPG Platinum's.
Old Jul 3, 2008, 11:23 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by holtju2
They don't suck unless you suck.

Anyway I am quite satisfied with Diamond upgrades beyond what is required by the T&C. Upgrades are only better for IHG RA's and for SPG Platinum's.
And for Marriott Gold/Platinums where access to the Lounge is guaranteed even if you are not on the Exec Floor. (Not the case at Hyatt).

So, let's summarise - Better than Hyatt = Starwood, Intercon and Marriott - seems perhaps not so good at Hyatt then.
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:18 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Always had great upgrades with Hyatt - rarely do we not get a suite, which is nice to very nice - esp. when you're talking PHVendome on points...
Old Jul 4, 2008, 2:44 am

Rarely do I get a suite at Hyatt, but almost 80% at SPG properties
Old Jul 4, 2008, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by Markie
And for Marriott Gold/Platinums where access to the Lounge is guaranteed even if you are not on the Exec Floor. (Not the case at Hyatt).

So, let's summarise - Better than Hyatt = Starwood, Intercon and Marriott - seems perhaps not so good at Hyatt then.
With Marriott lounge access is not guaranteed at resorts and no breakkie is provided when the lounge is closed (Friday night to Monday morning) by T&C. Also on the promotion side Marriott is very weak compared to Hyatt.

On my personal preference list Hyatt is third after IC RA and SPG PLT but far above Marriott/Hilton when it comes to upgrades. More often than not I do end up in a suite, although suites are "off" limits for upgrades when it comes to the T&C of the program unless using points/certs for upgrade.
Old Jul 6, 2008, 9:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 787
So, you should have just booked a room, at the best rate you could get and show up with the cert and hope they had a suite available.

That is how that Certificate works.

Trying to pre-book it directly with the hotel is not going to work.
The certificate specifies to pre-book with the offer code SUITE
Old Jul 6, 2008, 10:40 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by holtju2
With Marriott lounge access is not guaranteed at resorts and no breakkie is provided when the lounge is closed (Friday night to Monday morning) by T&C. Also on the promotion side Marriott is very weak compared to Hyatt.

On my personal preference list Hyatt is third after IC RA and SPG PLT but far above Marriott/Hilton when it comes to upgrades. More often than not I do end up in a suite, although suites are "off" limits for upgrades when it comes to the T&C of the program unless using points/certs for upgrade.
You must have a nicer face then me. I think that it has been 10-12 years since I got a suite at Hyatt despite being Diamond for 15 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.