Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Guangzhou REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt Guangzhou REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 2, 2010, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM
Suite upgrades?

Has anyone had any experience using a suite upgrade at this property? What are the upgrade suites like?

In previous stays, I've been given nice rooms on the club floor, but haven't tried a suite upgrade there yet.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by bostonpilot
Has anyone had any experience using a suite upgrade at this property? What are the upgrade suites like?

In previous stays, I've been given nice rooms on the club floor, but haven't tried a suite upgrade there yet.
I actually have the same question. I'm planning on using one next month there.
Old Jul 3, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond

I used a suite upgraded in March. The room is very nice. Large living room, large dinning table, stereo/DVD equipment, and a powder room. The main bathroom is over sized and in between the king master bedroom and living room. The suite is at least double the size of the deluxe rooms and located in the corner on the building. The decor is contemporary with a lot of dark wood. I highly recommend using a suite upgrade at this property.

Last edited by Mad4Miles; Jul 4, 2010 at 7:34 am
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by Mad4Miles
I used a suite upgraded in March. The room is very nice. Large living room, large dinning table, stereo/DVD equipment, and a powder room. The main bathroom is over sized and in between the king master bedroom and living room. The suite is at least double the size of the deluxe rooms and located in the corner on the building. The decor is contemporary with a lot of dark wood. I highly recommend using a suite upgrade at this property.
I realized that I never followed up from my question/post last month on this. I did in the end use my upgrade and the suite was as described above. I was very happy with the choice to upgrade, particularly because I ended up a bit under the weather and it was nice to hang out in the large room. The bathroom is very very nice as well.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 11:24 am

Does anyone know if the grand club is still closed here? I'm heading back in mid-Oct and wondering what the situation will be.
Old Sep 15, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Does anyone know if the grand club is still closed here? I'm heading back in mid-Oct and wondering what the situation will be.
Nope, not closed. I was there two weeks ago. When you enter the hotel you go to the main lobby where you can ask one of the employees there to give you access to the club lounge check-in. The lounge attendants are absolutely lovely! I was just talking to my partner earlier that of all the hotels we've been to in Asia this summer, the GH Guangzhou is the one that stands out most and only due to the lovely service we got.

There's hot breakfast and hot evening snacks which are enough for a proper meal in my opinion, I'm sure you will enjoy it!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
e-Concierge issue

Checked in this evening, using a suite upgrade (and agree all the descriptive Suite comments above). Problem is with an activity that is being offered on the e-Concierge site that apparently does not exist in real life. The activity (per the site this evening, the same as when I requested it, and received confirmation, ten days ago):

Guangzhou Day Tour
Itinerary: 09:00am pick up, proceed to the YueXiu Park where you can see how the local people do morning exercise. Visit the symbol of Guangzhou--“The Five Rams Statue”. Then visit the Nanyue Kingdom Tomb Museum and thousand-year-old Six Banyan Temple. And then visit the Ceramic exhibition center. After lunch, visit the Chen Clan Academy which is named the pearl of Architecture of South China, then visit Hualin Temple which has a splendid worship hall with 500 golden Buddhist saints inside. The last enjoy the Lingnan culture on the Shangxiajiu pedestrian street before returning back..
Seat in coach(Lunch inclusive) RMB 330.00
2 Pax priviate(Lunch inclusive) RMB 165.00

My wife and I requested the 2 Pax private tour, and received an email confirmation of the activity. The same day I also received an email from the concierge's desk asserting that the rate of RMB 165 no longer existed and that the current cost would be RMB 330 per person. The plot thickened this evening when checking in ---- the concierge desk now asserts not only that the price is double (or quarduple) the confirmed rate, but that there are no longer any private tours being offered (for 2 Pax or any other group size), only seats on a coach.

I've stayed in the last few weeks at both the Beijing Grand Hyatt and Beijing Park Hyatt, and have had several earlier stays at both the Hong Kong Grand Hyatt and the Shatin HR, but this is my first visit to the Guangzhou location. The registration adn welcome this evening in the Grand Club was warm, helpful, and efficient --- but this e-Concierge issue is really quite annoying, and quite at odds with the service we've received at the other China Hyatt locations.

I'm wondering whether anyone has had any recent experience with the concierge here, and perhaps any insight into what might be the cause of the e-Concierge issue here. I have enough Hyatt experience to not be surprised by run-of-the-mill website issues, but Guangzhou is very frankly not where I'd be expecting IT glitches to be routinely occurring and then go unresolved. TIA for any insights!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
Originally Posted by jbalmuth

Guangzhou Day Tour
Itinerary: 09:00am pick up, proceed to the YueXiu Park where you can see how the local people do morning exercise. Visit the symbol of Guangzhou--The Five Rams Statue. Then visit the Nanyue Kingdom Tomb Museum and thousand-year-old Six Banyan Temple. And then visit the Ceramic exhibition center. After lunch, visit the Chen Clan Academy which is named the pearl of Architecture of South China, then visit Hualin Temple which has a splendid worship hall with 500 golden Buddhist saints inside. The last enjoy the Lingnan culture on the Shangxiajiu pedestrian street before returning back..
Seat in coach(Lunch inclusive) RMB 330.00
2 Pax priviate(Lunch inclusive) RMB 165.00
On first read of your tour, they sounded extremely cheap, far too cheap, not to have been a typo error. I would say that the 2pax private should have been at least four times the coach fare, somewhere around the 1320 mark, maybe it was 1165 or 1665. These types of errors are not completely unknown in countries where English is not the first language, and even in countries where English is used in the tourist industry, the ability to write it is very rare. I cope with Chinese and Thai verbally, but I make some horrific mistakes when I try to write
Old Sep 19, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, BA Silver, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by BKKROP
On first read of your tour, they sounded extremely cheap, far too cheap, not to have been a typo error. I would say that the 2pax private should have been at least four times the coach fare, somewhere around the 1320 mark, maybe it was 1165 or 1665. These types of errors are not completely unknown in countries where English is not the first language, and even in countries where English is used in the tourist industry, the ability to write it is very rare. I cope with Chinese and Thai verbally, but I make some horrific mistakes when I try to write
I don't disagree at all regarding the price level for a private tour....but I don't understand why this "offer" has been up on their e-Concierge site for quite a while now, and remains there today. Given that this really has to be the most computer literate/savvy place on earth.....I'm not easily comprehending that this is a simple website issue. We expressed a willingness to pay a revised price, but on arrival the concierge stated that a private tour is simply not being offered.... It was for this reason that I question their motives, and wonder if any other FT traveller has had recent doings with the concierge here.
Old Sep 19, 2010, 7:46 pm

Programs: P THAI,Diamond HYATT
I should imagine the only part of the webpage the local operator could change is the daily pricing, all else would be handled by the company's head office. that is how most multi nationals work anyway. You got me thinking what is on our webpage, which I haven't looked at for years, I am sorry I did now.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: BA*G, UA1K, SPG-P, HH-G, GP-D, IC-RA
Currently staying at the hotel. Yes, the construction is still going on all around the hotel. Having read posts above, I did not expect much from this property. I had a room on the same floor as the club lounge on the 20th floor. The size of the room is average, but I like the room decor. The shower room with a small bathtub is right behind the bed and you can actually walk around it.

I have no complaint about the services being offered at the club lounge during cocktail hours. The food is not as good as Grand Hyatt Hong Kong, but still much better than most Hyatts. I would say it is average in Asia. The drink selection is quite wide. They have everything I want at least. I also like the hotel staffs calling me by name.

I took a taxi from the airport to the hotel and it cost me 120 yuan for the meter + 15 yuan for highway. A hotel staff has just told me it could take 2 hours to reach the airport in the morning.
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:45 am

Programs: M&M SEN, BA GGL, Bonvoy LTT, WoH Explorist
currently at the hotel and I am surprised why the reviews are so mixed...I love the place...it is like a full-service W if you will...great modern design and decor, but full service with lots of benefits, a wonderful Spa and a really nice Club. The pool area is one of the best I have seen in a long time.

The room is very modern and sleek, albeit probably a bit on the small side.

Upgraded to club-level but not to suite.

Had dinner in the G restaurant, very overpriced food, but as expected for lazy foreigners !

Location is quiet, but convenient access to/from airport by subway which is 300m from the hotel.

I would certainly come back here.
Old Jun 3, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: SQ PPS *G, Bonvoy Titanium
I was also at this property back in March and found it to be generally good but not great. Maybe because I had high expectations after being blown away by GH Shenzhen. I found that GH Guangzhou is very similar to GH Shenzhen but everything was executed better in GH Shenzhen.

Couldn't fault the service though, in the Club and elsewhere. And the newly-opened park just in front of the hotel made for a pleasant evening stroll. Definitely would stay here again if I ever return to Guangzhou.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 4:03 pm

Executive Suite (6000 points upgrade): http://youhavebeenupgraded.boardinga...att-guangzhou/

Last edited by youhavebeenupgraded; Mar 12, 2014 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 13, 2013, 12:14 pm

This hotel offers Hong Kong internet: Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, Tripadvisor works without restrictions
rambutan likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.