Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HR St. Louis at The Arch (formerly Waterfront) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2022, 11:05 pm

I stayed in January. Globalist breakfast was as listed above, entree and drink. You could order from Starbucks as well. My family of 4 ordered generously and it was all taken off the final bill Great hotel by the way.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I saw on TripAdvisor someone calling this a dangerous run down area part of Downtown where someone was murdered by the hotel while they were there
Haven't been there now in years.
Would I be better off in the Clayton Area?
Also the brand new grand opening of the Le Meridien its the exact same amount of points as the Hyatt
even with this Marriotts devaluation so thinking of splitting up my stay
My only stay here 3 or 4 years ago I remember as fairly lackluster just ok.
Have they refreshed the property?The room seemed quite dated at the time as I remember
Old Apr 2, 2022, 6:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I saw on TripAdvisor someone calling this a dangerous run down area part of Downtown where someone was murdered by the hotel while they were there
Haven't been there now in years.
Would I be better off in the Clayton Area?
Also the brand new grand opening of the Le Meridien its the exact same amount of points as the Hyatt
even with this Marriotts devaluation so thinking of splitting up my stay
My only stay here 3 or 4 years ago I remember as fairly lackluster just ok.
Have they refreshed the property?The room seemed quite dated at the time as I remember
I’ve read and heard too many stories about people getting mugged outside downtown’s upscale hotels, and people dropping to the street because of gunfire exchanged in their immediate vicinities so I skipped staying with Hyatt when I went to St. Louis last month and stayed at the Le Méridien in Clayton. Excellent property, that - beautifully done up, service was professional, food was good, nice bar - and the area is corporate but quiet and safe. I’d easily recommend staying there if you have any second thoughts about staying downtown.

khabah
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:21 pm
Suspended

Clayton is definitely safer and nicer than downtown, but if you're just staying at the hotel and driving to/from it (not wandering the streets), I wouldn't personally feel unsafe staying downtown. While the murders and shootings make the headlines, the widest crime problem in St Louis right now is probably car break-ins, which are happening everywhere, even in nice areas, so definitely don't leave anything of value in your car unattended. I don't think the Hyatt has been renovated since the last time you've stayed, so you know the ups and downs of this hotel -- incredible views of the arch from the right rooms, fairly close to the stadium and other downtown sights, earns Hyatt credit, and not too much else going for it.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
I’ve read and heard too many stories about people getting mugged outside downtown’s upscale hotels, and people dropping to the street because of gunfire exchanged in their immediate vicinities so I skipped staying with Hyatt when I went to St. Louis last month and stayed at the Le Méridien in Clayton. Excellent property, that - beautifully done up, service was professional, food was good, nice bar - and the area is corporate but quiet and safe. I’d easily recommend staying there if you have any second thoughts about staying downtown.

khabah
Sad to hear but I thank you for your valuable advice on where to stay.
I suppose the only downside is paying for parking
But when I think about making it out alive sounds like a good trade off lol 😂
Old Apr 2, 2022, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by oc2005
Clayton is definitely safer and nicer than downtown, but if you're just staying at the hotel and driving to/from it (not wandering the streets), I wouldn't personally feel unsafe staying downtown. While the murders and shootings make the headlines, the widest crime problem in St Louis right now is probably car break-ins, which are happening everywhere, even in nice areas, so definitely don't leave anything of value in your car unattended. I don't think the Hyatt has been renovated since the last time you've stayed, so you know the ups and downs of this hotel -- incredible views of the arch from the right rooms, fairly close to the stadium and other downtown sights, earns Hyatt credit, and not too much else going for it.
Won’t be wandering the streets and have fantastic views right at home without leaving
but did enjoy the Arch views when I was there
Clayton has more variety of upscale restaurant choices and closer to the airport to catch my flight home hopefully alive!
All kidding aside every major city is facing these challenges lately though some more than others
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:33 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
One thing I will say - St. Louis is one of the few cities where I have been accosted by someone. I was waiting to cross the street (just a few blocks from the Hyatt), and there was a man who seemed to think I was too close to him. He started yelling something about my "gay a**" (guess he didn't like my pink shorts) and started throwing pieces of torn-up paper at me. I got out of there REAL quick. I was definitely shaken up.

It's an anecdote for sure that can happen anywhere with transients and the mentally ill. Still, I appreciated visiting St. Louis for the Arch, but it isn't on my list to return anytime soon (even though I was a big fan of the Westin).
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:48 pm

For decades I tended to some degree staying loyal to Hyatt in almost every market
but now with the devaluation less so
I took a closer look at the Le Meriden and it’s reviews/ratings are off the charts with apparently
good and food and beverage that look superb
With Hyatts seasonal rates now and older lackluster hotel product in this market
it’s well worth the slight extra premium
And with some Hyatt hotels limiting breakfast and variety in some markets
I’d rather buy up and have the best available and just skip
staying unless I can be assured of a solid stay
Have a great architect designed residence.Why leave home and pay for airfare and hotels to have a far lesser experience
Appreciate all the feedback here 👍 You guys know your stuff.I’m really looking forward now
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
One thing I will say - St. Louis is one of the few cities where I have been accosted by someone. I was waiting to cross the street (just a few blocks from the Hyatt), and there was a man who seemed to think I was too close to him. He started yelling something about my "gay a**" (guess he didn't like my pink shorts) and started throwing pieces of torn-up paper at me. I got out of there REAL quick. I was definitely shaken up.

It's an anecdote for sure that can happen anywhere with transients and the mentally ill. Still, I appreciated visiting St. Louis for the Arch, but it isn't on my list to return anytime soon (even though I was a big fan of the Westin).
I can’t wear pink shorts I’m a redhead they would throw tomatoes or worse 😂
Some Scary folks out there.We are so fortunate to not walk in their shoes
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 9:57 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I can’t wear pink shorts I’m a redhead they would throw tomatoes or worse 😂
Some Scary folks out there.We are so fortunate to not walk in their shoes
My pale skin is basically pink anyway, so perhaps he thought I wasn't wearing any pants at all? And, yes, you are quite right - the lottery of life is an unfair one, for sure.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Apr 2, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Note to self: avoid wearing pink shorts in downtown St. Louis...

David
Old Jul 20, 2022, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Stayed here recently on a Friday night for a Cardinals game. Hotel was sold out, so only upgrade as Globalist was a partial arch view room on 16th floor (out of 18). Self parking was full, and there was a long wait (15-20 min) for valet parking around 4:45 pm. In fact, we were stuck at a stoplight across the street from the hotel because there were so many cars jammed in front of the hotel. Check-in was much better, as there were many agents working, and lines only 2 deep. Room was small. In the 2 double bed room, the only place to sit other than the desk chair was an odd ottoman sort of thing over by the door, which actually proved useful.

There was a line for breakfast the next morning at 9:45. We waited about 15 min to be seated. It was a buffet with extensive choices, including lunch-type deli meat and cheese, as well as hot items (sausage, potatoes, etc.). No griddle items, strangely, but extensive pastries. Melons and pineapple, but no berries.

Overall this hotel was just ok. The high points of this hotel were the location and the Globalist benefits (free breakfast for 4, free parking on award stay, late checkout). If I'm not a Globalist next time I'm in St. Louis, I'll likely try somewhere else.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:35 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I was here a few weeks ago. I thought it was rather nice, as far as a middle US Hyatt Regency goes.

I was upgraded to some sort of 2 double beds deluxe with a partial Arch view. It was the first room in the long row along the south side of the building, and so it had about 5- extra feet of width to the room which made it feel pretty big. It also had a small room before the bathroom with a second sink and an area to store suitcases , which was great since I was sharing the room with a colleague and we could each have our own sinks.

My only complaint was that the main restaurant and bar isn't open for dinner (still!). There is a sports bar and grille, but they closed at 11PM when I was there midweek (and they were packed up until last call).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:56 am

This used to be a go-to hotel of mine in STL. I would routinely get upgraded to at least a Junior Suite (which I actually prefer to the Executive Suites). It's an average hotel at best, with plenty of mediocre qualities:

Pros:
1) Location
2) Globalist recognition
3) Starbucks on site

Cons:
1) Location (downtown STL outside of baseball season can be sketchy and dangerous at times)
2) Food options mediocre/disgusting or prohibitively expensive. No between. Honestly, the breakfast is the saddest hotel breakfast I've come across. Only option for eggs are powdered scrambled eggs. Bleh.
3) Only one internet tier - Chromecast is great, but good luck not getting frustrated with buffering every 2 minutes.
4) Windows not very insulated - this is an issue especially in wintertime. Keep the room relatively warm by having the blinds drawn all the way down.

Overall, I'm not rushing to come back. And it's sad that there are no other options in STL for Hyatt. Compared with Marriott, which has several good to great hotels: Westin, Hotel St Louis, Magnolia, Le Meridien, Element, and Marriott in downtown; and then the Ritz and Le Meridien in Clayton (both absolutely fantastic properties).
Old Jul 20, 2022, 6:57 pm

There's also a Ruth's Chris steakhouse in the hotel.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.