Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt San Antonio REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt San Antonio REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2014, 3:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tdrag97
thx..

so if booking cash +points (7,500+$100) which is a better site, the Grand or Regency? For Diamond suite and breakfast?
I have yet to stay at the Regency, but I mulled over the two choices before settling on the Grand because it's newer and the one on the Riverwalk is more "used and abused" from the tons of families that stay there (the Grand is next to the Convention center, so I think mostly business types stay there).

Diamond suite better with Grand, but breakfast 100% better with Regency because it's a full breakfast in a restaurant compared to the continental stuff in the Grand. Both are right on the riverwalk, but the Regency is located in a better location. Both are Category 4 hotels.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
So we decided to stay at the Grand., since the suite are larger then at the Regency. I'm also hoping newer = cleaner too.. lol I guess we will bare with the breakfast and see how it goes. VIP manger did contact me, and I have requested to have breakfast in the restaurant, but like in the past also got decline. Saying that the restaurant is not part of the hotel and will cost $22 adult and $13 for kids.

Let see how this suite come out to be.
Old May 20, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tdrag97
So we decided to stay at the Grand., since the suite are larger then at the Regency. I'm also hoping newer = cleaner too.. lol I guess we will bare with the breakfast and see how it goes. VIP manger did contact me, and I have requested to have breakfast in the restaurant, but like in the past also got decline. Saying that the restaurant is not part of the hotel and will cost $22 adult and $13 for kids.

Let see how this suite come out to be.
It's not a bad hotel, it just seems they spent more on the lobby and superficial stuff than they did on the actual rooms. But, give us your full report when you get back!
Old May 25, 2014, 12:09 am

Programs: HiltonH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, Hyatt-Diamond,SPG-newbie
So check in a the grand. And yet, they spend too much on the lobby. Check in to out suite., during our checking the rep, said with excitement. "We have you in our VIP suite"

But when we check in. It's your normal suite at the Hyatt, basic living room and dining table, king bed with sofa sleeper but the master bath is very nice I was hoping for a two bedroom but hotel is total book this weekend. More to come later
Old Dec 8, 2014, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Does anyone have the contact info for the properties VIP manager, and if so would you mind PMing it to me? Thanks!
Old Apr 25, 2015, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Peatisback
Does anyone have the contact info for the properties VIP manager, and if so would you mind PMing it to me? Thanks!
Bump- if the VIP manager contact info is available, could someone please PM it to me?

Thanks!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:46 pm

Programs: UA MP, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Enterprise
Bumping an old thread. We had a nice short stay at the Grand Hyatt San Antonio, we live relatively close in a neighboring town but wanted to spend a day doing the downtown SA thing. We arrived and decided to self-park. I have a truck that is lifted a couple of inches, called ahead and confirmed the garage height was 6'8" in case anyone is interested. Even though the height was ok, had some pretty tight turns, so watch out if you have a larger vehicle.

Lobby is nice, spacious. There was a sheriff's convention going on so lots of activity when we arrived. We had a club level room on the 23rd floor, it had nice views but overall the rooms were pretty plain. Comfortable, but relatively boring. The club was nice, with a great view of the Tower of Americas...Starbucks coffee maker was out of commission at the time though so that was a bummer. I don't know if I was just hungry or what, but the cookies during the day and the pastries for breakfast were amazing to me.

The best part about this hotel is the location though. If you are interested in experiencing the riverwalk, but on your terms, this is the place for you. The hotel itself is towards the quieter end of the riverwalk, but a short walk over gets you right in the heart of the action. We liked that flexibility and spent a good amount of time taking in the restaurants and Rivercenter mall. Being able to walk back away from the action was nice at the end of the night though.

Overall it's a very nice property if you're not focused on the rooms specifically (can't speak for the suites though). Service was good and we had no issues. If you're able to make it in the area for the summer, I highly recommend the Fiesta Noche del Rio show at the Arneson River Theatre, we had a great time.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: CO OnePass; AAdvantage Dirt; IHG Priority Club Plat; Hyatt Plat; Marriott Gold; Avis PresPref;
Quite pleasant

Decided to turn attendance at an evening event into a quick getaway. Booked one night in a club king, got club floor king. Elevators worked very well, never waited more than a minute or so. Agree with previous assessment that rooms are comfortable if rather bland. Did not notice anything particularly special about the room other than nice view and access to club lounge. Decent size. No sheer curtain on window, only roll down opaque curtain. No robe/slippers or any such amenities. Did hear some traffic noise at night, surprising on a floor that high.

Lounge was quite nice, as usual with Grand Hyatt. All day snacks of large assortment of dried fruits and nuts, assorted hot and cold soft drinks, some great cookies. Evening spread a very nice array of grilled veggies, cheeses, flat breads/crackers, olive loaf, hummus, nacho cheese sauce that was a dismaying grey color from the ground beef but quite tasty. Attendants were delightful. Beer, wine, spirits available for purchase, poured by attendant. Hyatt's private label Canvas wines by Mondavi on offer - cab was good. Slept in so did not get to try lounge breakfast.

Dinner was a private function for several hundred people, surprisingly nice for "rubber chicken ballroom" meals. Suspect the organizers dropped some significant dollars on F&B, but both service and food were very well executed. Did not have a chance to try the hotel's other dining options. There is a Ruth's Chris on site, promoted on many of the printed materials.

Workout area is very nice,a treat to use - large and full of light, well ventilated and featuring plenty of cardio (treadmill, elliptical, stationary and recumbent bikes) machines along with good assortment of resistance machines, some free weights, yoga space (with big screen on the wall playing yoga DVD's if desired.) Towels and chilled towels provided along with chilled water cooler. Pool on same floor looked nice but did not have time to use. Sanitized Koss headsets provided for use.

Location was great to stroll on the Riverwalk. Overnight valet parking ran $39 - yikes - but was very convenient and had the car waiting when we got there after texting from room when checking out via web.

Summary: large property clearly geared to conventions, staff uniformly courteous and efficient. Would not hesitate to recommend.
Old Jan 1, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by SeamusSA
Overnight valet parking ran $39 - yikes - .
Anyone know of cheaper self parking alternatives nearby?

Headed to the Hyatt Grand this Sunday.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
Anyone know of cheaper self parking alternatives nearby?

Headed to the Hyatt Grand this Sunday.
To answer my own question... alternative cheaper parking is available directly across the street at the Convention Center parking facility. However our nephew who lives in San Antonio told me his car was broken into in this specific parking garage.

Self parking is $26 at the Grand Hyatt and is very easy. Check-in, ask for self parking and you will get a plastic card with a magnetic strip that allows easy in-out. The Hyatt parking lot has a much higher level of security than the convention center... So I parked at the Hyatt.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:24 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Grand club here is closed temporarily - hotel is offering $40 credit at their market and self-serve venues. Also believe that the Globalist breakfast would now be in the Ruth's Chris, which is an interesting opportunity for a higher-quality Glob breakfast.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
Grand club here is closed temporarily - hotel is offering $40 credit at their market and self-serve venues. Also believe that the Globalist breakfast would now be in the Ruth's Chris, which is an interesting opportunity for a higher-quality Glob breakfast.
This has changed. Just finished two nights there, and they've since opened up a temporary club in one of the bigger suites (530). Just about the regular fare as usual, though could use a few more seats. Espresso machine didn't make the trip down so they're giving out coupons for coffee drinks in the market if you want more than drip or tea. Staff super helpful, and I got the vibe the reno on the new club wouldn't take that long. The whole hotel is being redone prior to NCAA final four, basically floor by floor.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
This thread seems long overdue for an update, so this is based off my stay with a few friends at the end of September. 2 night stay booked as a Guest of Honor had my room upgraded to a standard Junior Suite with club lounge access. It's a nice property with pretty textbook benefits, but I suppose when you have a ~1000 room property, you kind of have to work that way. I had a car and the obnoxiously high parking fee ($33/nt) was waived as a GoH booking, but the keys weren't programmed correctly to get in/out of the parking structure, which was a bit of an inconvenience.

The breakfast in the lounge was lacklustre. One morning the scrambled eggs on offer were borderline cold despite being on the hot plate. The evening snacks were mostly just cheese/crackers and your standard US lounge fare. One night there were tortilla chips and a bean dip out. I wouldn't pay extra or burn a lounge upgrade cert for club lounge access if it hadn't already been included. On the plus side, for a paid honor bar the prices were reasonable for a hotel. Beer and wine was $3, liquor was $4.

Overall I was happy with the 12k/nt spend with a GoH booking, but not sure I'd be back. We mostly stayed here as one of my friends was Globalist and we all had sufficient Hyatt points. Personally, I still like the Hilton Palacio del Rio which is right down the block and offers a much better breakfast in addition to a balcony to sit out on.

Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:37 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Overall, a very solid mid-week stay while I was in town visiting an old friend!

I booked on points as I was able to get 2.7 cents per point (much higher than my expected 2 cents per point) when I factored in the cost of parking. While I was only upgraded in-app to a High Floor King, I was able to get an Executive Suite at check-in on the 12th floor (oddly listed as a premium suite in the room description but available as a standard suite redemption - IMO, this is definitely a standard suite). The Executive Suite is a true two-room suite with wetbar-like area (no sink though, so not very usable), living room with comfortable couch and desk, separate bedroom, and small-ish bathroom. The bathroom was a big disappointment - very plain-looking and I was unable to get much pressure or warmth out of the very small shower head in the shower-tub combination (I'll chalk the warmth issue to taking a shower at a peak time in the morning). The bed was quite comfortable - one of the better Grand Beds I've dealt with - but it did seem a bit on the short side (or, maybe, I'm growing taller). The view towards the Marriott Rivercenter was very nice - even on floor 12. I liked the decor, but the bathroom really brings this room down.

Service was good - friendly front desk agents and friendly and quick valet service. Breakfast at Bar Rojo was delightful - I was told at check-in to order whatever (no limit given). The menu at Bar Rojo (this was a sit-down breakfast) was very extensive, and the food was quite good and complimented by friendly service. I ordered a standard American breakfast, as well as a "side pancake" - everything was taken off. I was also given two $25 vouchers for the Perks coffee shop - one for each day (not just each night) - that said "Thanks for being a Globalist." - but as I'm trying to be healthier (you can tell by my breakfast order), I didn't actually use these. Valet parking was free due to my points redemption, as expected - the agent actively encouraged me to use valet, rather than self-parking. No issue with late checkout.

With that breakfast, I'm glad the Grand Club is still closed!
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Overall, a very solid mid-week stay while I was in town visiting an old friend!

I booked on points as I was able to get 2.7 cents per point (much higher than my expected 2 cents per point) when I factored in the cost of parking. While I was only upgraded in-app to a High Floor King, I was able to get an Executive Suite at check-in on the 12th floor (oddly listed as a premium suite in the room description but available as a standard suite redemption - IMO, this is definitely a standard suite). The Executive Suite is a true two-room suite with wetbar-like area (no sink though, so not very usable), living room with comfortable couch and desk, separate bedroom, and small-ish bathroom. The bathroom was a big disappointment - very plain-looking and I was unable to get much pressure or warmth out of the very small shower head in the shower-tub combination (I'll chalk the warmth issue to taking a shower at a peak time in the morning). The bed was quite comfortable - one of the better Grand Beds I've dealt with - but it did seem a bit on the short side (or, maybe, I'm growing taller). The view towards the Marriott Rivercenter was very nice - even on floor 12. I liked the decor, but the bathroom really brings this room down.

Service was good - friendly front desk agents and friendly and quick valet service. Breakfast at Bar Rojo was delightful - I was told at check-in to order whatever (no limit given). The menu at Bar Rojo (this was a sit-down breakfast) was very extensive, and the food was quite good and complimented by friendly service. I ordered a standard American breakfast, as well as a "side pancake" - everything was taken off. I was also given two $25 vouchers for the Perks coffee shop - one for each day (not just each night) - that said "Thanks for being a Globalist." - but as I'm trying to be healthier (you can tell by my breakfast order), I didn't actually use these. Valet parking was free due to my points redemption, as expected - the agent actively encouraged me to use valet, rather than self-parking. No issue with late checkout.

With that breakfast, I'm glad the Grand Club is still closed!
2 months back we had an eerily similar stay - upgraded to Executive suite on a weekend 2 night stay. It was during late fall, not busy season for tourists I am assuming and on a weekend for a hotel next to convention center. Rojo was great!

I will say, we had some very good salads (relative) from coffee perks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.