Ask The Housekeeper

Old Feb 13, 2008, 7:59 am

Location: my posts are my sole opinion and do not represent the opinions of UAL CORP and their subsidiaries
In another thread, there was a discussion of smokers smoking in a non-smoking room, and someone wondered what housekeeping did to clean the room afterwards.

So, in this situation, what exactly is done to rid the room of the smell, and why does it cost $200-$250 to do so?

Welcome to the OP.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 8:32 am

Programs: No travel, no cards. :(
As I'm about to return to Hyatt, my tipping question is more based on my recent stays in other brands.

Taught to leave $2 per person per night, but sometimes housekeeping leaves the money there. I suppose there's a fear they'll be called out for stealing, but I still leave it - and at the end of my stay, whatever hasn't been picked up by the staff, I take to the desk and ask them to pass it along. Good move, bad move?

Does Hyatt have a recommended place to leave the tip so housekeeping knows it is for them?

Sometimes, all I need is fresh towels. I don't need the bed changed, I'll keep my own sink cleaned up, usually bring my own necessaries...is there a way to *only* get fresh towels each day and not make the crew work any harder than necessary?

Thanks! And thanks for being here.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by callie-girl
Taught to leave $2 per person per night, but sometimes housekeeping leaves the money there. I suppose there's a fear they'll be called out for stealingthe tip so housekeeping knows it is for them?
Where are you leaving the $$? I always leave it on the bed and its never there when I return unless the room has not been cleaned yet.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 9:26 am

I always leave a little note for the housekeeper, along with the tip, on the bed. That way there's no confusion that it's a tip and not something I left behind. Sometimes I get a nice thank you note back from the housekeeper
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, EA
Originally Posted by mgi
Have a suggestion actually - as part of the turndown service housekeeping typically leaves the TV and several lights on. Its a nice touch but its a waste of electricity for seemingly no good reason. As part of being more eco-friendly we may want to discontinue leaving the TV on and just leave one light on so the room is not completely dark when you enter.

How do the other's feel about this?

Thanks,
MGI
Our hotel is "green" so we try not to leave any lights on.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aircoco
sometimes i check into a room, i got a plate of fruits, sometimes I don't. why is that so?
I couldn't tell you.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bob95409
What percentage of guests leave tips? Are tips shared? What would be a normal tip for a room, also for a suite, although suites have been very scarce for the last couple of years. And finally do housekeepers expect tips as do bellman, etc.
Thanks for your input.
Bob
Our guests normally tip anywhere from 2-10 to even 20 dollars for long stays. The percentage is hard to say, but I don't think the housekeepers expect them although they greatly appreciate them. Leave a tip in the middle of your stay and see what looks better or different the next day...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:27 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I had another question but I want to follow up on the tips

What percent on any given night of the guests leave any sort of tip?

back to the regularly scheduled programing >

Are you told to set the thermostat to a low number? in the mid 60's? or in the summer to a high number like the mid 70's?

I ask b/c in the winter every room is cold and in the summer its hot till I change the thermostat?

oops one more

Is it a problem (on a multi nighter) to give me like 3 regular coffees per night for the room and you can keep the decaf?
You can ask for as many coffees as you'd like and we'd be happy to keep the decaf

The magical thermostat numbers are 68 in the winter and 70 in the summer.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I've waited the housekeeper make the beds when the sheets aren't changed. Why do they put the pillows on the floor?

I absolutely hate that!

I also dislike the fact that when I check in there is a full set of shampoo etc but they are never replaced back to a full set even if I stay for 7 to 10 nights.

That happens with the coffee/tea as well.

I have to put the newspaper in my suitcase to keep it from being thrown away even if I put it in a drawer. Why?
As for pillows on the floor, I have no idea why they do that, but it definitely is a bad habit of some.

Shampoos are supposed to be replaced when half full. If you need more, feel free to ask and you should have new ones within 15 minutes. I know that you shouldn't have to ask though.

As for newspapers, some housekeepers are like heat seeking missiles to trash and will throw away pretty much anything in sight. SO, if you have something you don't want thrown away, keep it in your suitcase.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flygirl94
In another thread, there was a discussion of smokers smoking in a non-smoking room, and someone wondered what housekeeping did to clean the room afterwards.

So, in this situation, what exactly is done to rid the room of the smell, and why does it cost $200-$250 to do so?

Welcome to the OP.
It costs 200-250 dollars in room revenue because the room can generally not be rented right after the smoker checks out. We scrub down all the hard surfaces and put an air purifying machine in the room that normally does the trick, but sometimes it takes more than that.

If you'd like to smoke, PLEASE request a smoking room. If you don't get a smoking room, please either go downstairs and smoke or pay the fee.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by callie-girl
As I'm about to return to Hyatt, my tipping question is more based on my recent stays in other brands.

Taught to leave $2 per person per night, but sometimes housekeeping leaves the money there. I suppose there's a fear they'll be called out for stealing, but I still leave it - and at the end of my stay, whatever hasn't been picked up by the staff, I take to the desk and ask them to pass it along. Good move, bad move?

Does Hyatt have a recommended place to leave the tip so housekeeping knows it is for them?

Sometimes, all I need is fresh towels. I don't need the bed changed, I'll keep my own sink cleaned up, usually bring my own necessaries...is there a way to *only* get fresh towels each day and not make the crew work any harder than necessary?

Thanks! And thanks for being here.
I would not suggest giving it to the desk. Not that they would take it, but it would take a while to make it to the person who cleaned your room. Leave a little note on your money and they will take it. At least the ones I know aren't shy about taking money...

If you only need fresh towels, I would suggest leaving up your do not disturb sign and calling down for towels when you need them. Our standard is to have them to you in less than 15 minutes.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:02 am

I leave my tip on the pillow. Since it would be unlikely to accidentally leave money on the pillow, I had heard that this was the proper place for the tip. I also have a book with me and read every night. If I finish the book, I leave the book under the money on the pillow so that they will know it does not need to go to "lost and found".
I do tip daily to insure todays cleaning person gets the tip.
Bob
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I,and some of the others here,do not like the Portico White Ginger-are the other Portico scents stocked in the housekeepers closet so that we could request a different scent?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I,and some of the others here,do not like the Portico White Ginger-are the other Portico scents stocked in the housekeepers closet so that we could request a different scent?
I'll be sure to pass that along, I don't particularly care for it myself. We may have some lying around somewhere, but I know that the housekeepers wouldn't have any.

Feel free to ask for something different and see what happens.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:50 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
What if the housekeepers are pre-tipped?

When we travel on corporate conventions I just found out that the bellmen and housekeepers tips are already paid for. Is that something the hotel negotiates for large group travel?

I've always tipped the maids and bellmen in the past when I've gone on these type of trips. Does that mean they are getting double tipped?

Only once did a bellman refuse to accept the tip saying that was already covered in our package rate. Of course, the maids have never refused the extra tips.

My question is, do the maids (and bellmen) really get extra money when a large convention group stays at a hotel and therefore the convention guests don't need to tip?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.