Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 3, 2018, 1:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by lalala
Spending a few nights here after Bank Holiday weekend and really appreciate the hotel reaching out and asking me to fill out a form about my likes and dislikes. I'm usually here with TH, who takes care of the reservations and comms with the hotel.

Does anyone know if they still have REN toiletries? I did love those.

lalala
I just looked them up on the net for some images and, yes, I believe they were the ones I received on a stay a few days ago.

Like you I also received an advance survey. The 'Tell us a quirky fact about you' is a bit odd and they didn't really seem to deliver anything complimentary to it. I booked an entry level room for GBP184+ and was upgraded to a king suite with a proper, separate bedroom. The room was large and included a separate tub, two large televisions, a working desk, dining table with a couple of chairs and plenty of closet space. The minibar was a little better than the pitiful offering at 5th Avenue but not by much.

The gym is open to public membership (limited numbers, I think) so it's better than your usual hotel gym. I can't remember the last time I was in a hotel gym with a bench press and a squat rack! I had drinks in the bar on the lobby level (not facing Liverpool St) one evening and it was decent although there are no beers on tap. Location is of course outstanding if Liverpool St station is your go-to transit option. A full breakfast was provided in the restaurant. I was given a menu and ordered an item. After I ate that I was asked if I wanted something else so that was nice. I thought the quality was fine.

I don't really get the Andaz evening drinks thing, nor this idea that hotel staff don't wear uniforms. The latter I could handle better if they wore name badges. The drinks in the lobby were one red and one white with some canapes. But there's hardly anywhere to sit and enjoy your drink. Perhaps you're only supposed to have one and move on.

One thing I noticed at this hotel and a couple of other places in the UK is this 12/12.5% service charge that's added to bills without a word. Forced tipping is poor form.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:22 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Yes definitely still have REN products and you can buy larger bottles at reception. Hyatt Prive benefits tend to be variable - it's a shame that they can't manage the simple things
Old Jan 15, 2019, 5:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
The lobby area is currently being renovated. The work will apparently take 4-6 weeks and started last Friday. Reception is now on first floor in front of the business centre. Every guest is given a voucher for a hot drink, glass of house wine or a soft drink as there no drinks available to help yourself to. Had booked Prive rate and upgraded to large King. No WOH drink vouchers this time. Hotel was very quiet even though room rates were high. Breakfast continues to get worse. New breakfast menu with new healthy options but the hot buffet food had been left too long and was rather chewy! Dinner in Eastway was pretty good. They have a Happy Hour from 5-8 so it does get pretty busy at this time.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 6:18 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by BAGoldBoy
Hotel was very quiet even though room rates were high. Breakfast continues to get worse. New breakfast menu with new healthy options but the hot buffet food had been left too long and was rather chewy!
Perhaps breakfast is better when the hotel is crowded? I was recently at Andaz Liverpool Street before/after New Years Eve as a party of two rooms / four adults. Received the royal treatment . Upgraded to a huge suite. Breakfast was great, but the dining room was VERY busy. My entire party could order anything they wanted from the breakfast menu, plus anything from the excellent buffet, and all the charges for both rooms (all on one invoice) were removed.

I visit this hotel at least once a year. Yes, some of the top-tier benefits have been reduced. In the good old days, top tier could have comp room service breakfast. I never used that benefit, so it bothers me zero that it was phased out. In past years, Globalists could have breakfast in Eastway. I have no idea why they eliminated this benefit, but I'm okay with it.

On the plus side, today's wi-fi is infinitely better than the creaky old diesel-powered system of yore. Also, a few years ago, I asked them to stop putting me into those funky suites with the round window and the slanted walls. The rooms improved immediately after making that request.

I'm very pleased with every aspect of this hotel.
frogss29 likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:30 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The lobby opened yesterday 22nd February and looks very grand. There are a few changes. The reception area now has two desks - I think the feedback was that the fact there was nowhere to check in was unpopular. The 6-8 drinks and canapes have been enhanced to 7-8 drinks and no canapes. No longer receive a drinks voucher at reception. Upgraded to large king - one of the street art rooms which was very nice.

Met friends for cocktails in Rakes Bar. Not great as we had to wait over 30 minutes for 4 drinks despite reminding them twice.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/46144772@N00/, on Flickr

Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:45 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Thanks for the well shot nice photos of the Andaz public areas
Hope this isn't insulting to anyone but that decor is simply dreadful
It would make me run from the property.Yikes
I'm not sure who its appealing to and.I consider myself very open minded and love the Marcel Wanders design in Andaz Amsterdam even though its not my taste
It fun different, artistic and fresh out of the box thinking
But really what was that I just viewed lol wow just wow
Designer on mind altering drugs?
Its shocking to me someone may have spent money on it
Looked far better from the past in my memory

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 23, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Old Feb 23, 2019, 1:17 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I had the chance to speak to some of the management as this was the first day the lobby was open. The thought that the previous lobby was getting dull, was dark and the lack of reception desks wasn't working and I tend to agree.

When we were there in January they had just started demolishing the old lobby. Again we spoke to the managers and they told us their thinking. The Andaz was the Great Western (Railway) Hotel and was a very old and grand institution in London. The concept was to capture the grandure of the Pullman carriages that were on the GWR that used Liverpool Street Station.

I would say go and have a look. It's actually pretty grand although I wouldn't decorate my lounge like this! The guests we spoke to last night were really impressed and repeat visitors certainly liked the new look.

I guess that the concept of the Andaz brand is to reflect the local history and culture so they are all very different and won't appeal to everyone.
Old Feb 23, 2019, 6:03 pm

I'll be interested in reading what others have to say in social media too
Its certainly different
However I will be reading from another London area hotel like the Churchill
Old Feb 23, 2019, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Public areas reminds me of the Austin Powers movies. Very shagadelic baby!

Last edited by Aventine; Feb 23, 2019 at 9:13 pm
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:06 pm

It's interesting that this Andaz is so different from the light wood and sleek modernity that is part of most other Andaz locations I've visited, and it's also the first ever Andaz.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Michael Ad
It's interesting that this Andaz is so different from the light wood and sleek modernity that is part of most other Andaz locations I've visited, and it's also the first ever Andaz.
Its also to my knowledge one of the only Andaz Hotels not originally designed by Andaz/Hyatt
In 2000 Terence Conran redesigned the previous property The Great Eastern and they sold it to Hyatt in 2006 which went onto becoming Andaz! Sort of the prototype for ANDAZ
While the building is historically significant and has interesting architecture after more than a few stays I came to the conclusion it just wasn't for me with the layout and went back to the Churchill
and other London Luxury properties

I liked the team members however their professional experience was very weak and no concierge.Front of the house was great though door men etc )
The hotel has a quirky design though some of the modern design is/was beautiful
There has been a sea of rotating GMs through the years some very good & one downright awful
Inconsistent upgrading policies for Diamonds and later Globalists.It's truly amazing what some hotels have the nerve to call a suite and pass it off as such
And perhaps the worst wifi of any hotel I have ever experienced at each every stay with no solution.Unusable
I've heard its since been improved or been fixed after years of complaints

Added to all that inconsistent service standards especially at breakfast (good breakfast otherwise) and likely the worst in room dining I can just about ever recall in my history of traveling
I'm sure some will say the hound is overly critical and exaggerating
Closing on a good note Andaz Liverpool has/had the best Andaz bed ever and outstanding large bath sheets in the bathroom
So good I purchased a case from the hotel and had them shipped home years ago!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 25, 2019 at 1:16 pm
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Thanks for the well shot nice photos of the Andaz public areas
Hope this isn't insulting to anyone but that decor is simply dreadful
It would make me run from the property.Yikes
I'm not sure who its appealing to and.I consider myself very open minded and love the Marcel Wanders design in Andaz Amsterdam even though its not my taste
It fun different, artistic and fresh out of the box thinking
But really what was that I just viewed lol wow just wow
Designer on mind altering drugs?
Its shocking to me someone may have spent money on it
Looked far better from the past in my memory
Agree. Is this what we'll see when we walk into the property on the way to the elevators? Yikes.

I like the old ways, where the furniture was average, somewhat comfortable if you were waiting for someone and the people in the lobby provided the pops of color.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:29 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
We saw the 'tunnel' being built in the lobby during our previous stay here last month. The manager who took care of our departure told us they wanted to make the new lobby much more colorful, upbeat and fun. I think she even mentioned there'd be a live DJ or something during certain times. This is apparently supposed to be the last stage of their renov starting from the rooms two years ago.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
We saw the 'tunnel' being built in the lobby during our previous stay here last month. The manager who took care of our departure told us they wanted to make the new lobby much more colorful, upbeat and fun. I think she even mentioned there'd be a live DJ or something during certain times. This is apparently supposed to be the last stage of their renov starting from the rooms two years ago.
Yes that would be perfect.I'm truly having a good chuckle
A DJ that would pair nicely with the brilliant colorful Bordello plus decor
You couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.
We are going all out to roll out this amazing decor and add a DJ as well
Someone said lets pay for this improvement? The appeal is hopefully to young Millennials who would best appreciate this all?
Old Feb 25, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Its also to my knowledge one of the only Andaz Hotels not originally designed by Andaz/Hyatt
In 2000 Terence Conran redesigned the previous property The Great Eastern and they sold it to Hyatt in 2006 which went onto becoming Andaz! Sort of the prototype for ANDAZ
While the building is historically significant and has interesting architecture after more than a few stays I came to the conclusion it just wasn't for me with the layout and went back to the Churchill
and other London Luxury properties

I liked the team members however their professional experience was very weak and no concierge.Front of the house was great though door men etc )
The hotel has a quirky design though some of the modern design is/was beautiful
There has been a sea of rotating GMs through the years some very good & one downright awful
Inconsistent upgrading policies for Diamonds and later Globalists.It's truly amazing what some hotels have the nerve to call a suite and pass it off as such
And perhaps the worst wifi of any hotel I have ever experienced at each every stay with no solution.Unusable
I've heard its since been improved or been fixed after years of complaints

Added to all that inconsistent service standards especially at breakfast (good breakfast otherwise) and likely the worst in room dining I can just about ever recall in my history of traveling
I'm sure some will say the hound is overly critical and exaggerating
Closing on a good note Andaz Liverpool has/had the best Andaz bed ever and outstanding large bath sheets in the bathroom
So good I purchased a case from the hotel and had them shipped home years ago!
I love this hotel, although I'm not particularly concerned about the common areas (admittedly the new design doesn't impress me) and far more interested in the excellent location. I've found service to be generally excellent. Wi-fi has not been an issue for me over 10+ stays over the last five years. I've certainly had much worse in-room dining experiences (PH in Hamburg comes to mind).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.