Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2010, 11:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by Markie
Turns out that it was a Andaz King, according to the email I got after I filled in the comment card and that this was the Diamond Upgrade!
Did you have a sofa, cocktail table, and two orange chairs in a separate room? I had booked a king but this was a lot more than I was expecting. Makes me wonder if it was a suite rather than just the standard king. PHOTO1 PHOTO2
Old Apr 23, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by tom911
Did you have a sofa, cocktail table, and two orange chairs in a separate room? I had booked a king but this was a lot more than I was expecting. Makes me wonder if it was a suite rather than just the standard king. PHOTO1 PHOTO2
Tom, that room looks about 3 times the size of the King room I received. They call it a king and I've been told "you have been upgraded to a king size room" from the single room I reserved but there's just a bed and desk. I think there must be different categories within the king category as the hotel is virtually empty.

I have an upcoming stay booked at a slightly higher rate coming up and if I still get this same room size without the two red chairs I'll have to argue.

Regarding the Andaz5 code; although I have added it when making the reservation, after check in I found that I didn't have it added. Luckily I checked an hour after checking in and they said they will add it and that I don't need any vouchers - $50 will be subtracted at check out.

Photo of the room, excuse the mess: Photo 1 Photo 2
Old Apr 23, 2010, 5:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I'm going to do a quick trip to London in a few weeks and the price at the Andaz is much better than the Churchill. I'm traveling alone - probably won't be out late clubbing - but is the hood safe enough for a woman traveling solo to feel comfortable walking around around 8 pm or so on a Saturday night? If not, I'll just buck up and stay at the Park Tower on points.

lala
Old Apr 23, 2010, 6:31 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
The hotel is located right next to one of our major train stations, and so there are plenty of people around, at that time of night you should be fine.

Originally Posted by lalala
I'm going to do a quick trip to London in a few weeks and the price at the Andaz is much better than the Churchill. I'm traveling alone - probably won't be out late clubbing - but is the hood safe enough for a woman traveling solo to feel comfortable walking around around 8 pm or so on a Saturday night? If not, I'll just buck up and stay at the Park Tower on points.

lala
Old Apr 24, 2010, 2:20 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by lalala
I'm traveling alone - probably won't be out late clubbing - but is the hood safe enough for a woman traveling solo to feel comfortable walking around around 8 pm or so on a Saturday night?
I'm not sure "the hood" is ever safe
Old May 6, 2010, 1:23 pm

Hi!
Stayed at the Andaz for one night recently. I'm fairly disappointed. Stylish but cold and very basic!

As Diamond I received an upgrade from queen bed single to king bed andaz king room.

The minibar was included and I receieved free breakfast as benefit.

Anyway. I made some pictures (as usual) - have a look on flickr.

Regards

Ham
Old Sep 20, 2010, 4:25 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
I stayed here for a night at the weekend. Very busy because of a wedding party but check in was quick and efficient. Upgraded to large King which was fine. Amenity was a chocolate pot and biscuits. Room was good and very quiet despite being so busy. Excellent breakfast in the restaurant and no arguements about complimentary nature of the breakfast. I am on a mission to get Diamond again this year but very slow business travel year so will be back here again (and again!)
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards
Echoing the last post that as the hotel is within 90 seconds walking of Liverpool Street Station, we never felt that safety was an issue at all.

It definitely is a little bit "out of the way" if you're concentrating on the West End, Knightsbridge, etc. for your stay, but is very convenient to the City and the Tower of London. Honestly, London is so big that a 'central' hotel really isn't possible if you're planning on ranging far and wide.

The hotel didn't seem particularly good for loitering in the lobby-- however, we spent so much time sightseeing that the only time we were in the lobby was for the 10 seconds to get to the lifts. The room itself is absolutely massive by European standards and the free drinks and snackies are always an appreciated touch (although maybe we should have asked for 2 still bottles of water as the sparkling went pretty much untouched).

One thing we did notice is that the plumbing for the shower was sort of dodgy-- lots of clanging noises and the temperature took all sorts of twists and turns-- perhaps this has been mentioned in prior posts? Oh, and I managed to pull the regulator apparatus right out of the slot connecting it to the pipes! (but it slid right back in without difficulty).

The restaurant seems to be populated by lots of City businesspeople but for us the English breakfast was certainly tasty enough (pricey, but sometimes you just want to try the hotel restaurant). There's a M&S food shoppe across the street for takeaway and some places in Liverpool Street Station (good for chocolate and Walkers Crisps and large water bottles to take back to the room).

Overall, a great hotel for the money in my opinion. I would definitely go back... but we did stay in a Firmdale hotel later in our trip, so sorry Andaz, you slip to a very respectable second choice. :-)

Cheers!
J
Old Sep 27, 2010, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Just recently finished a three night stay here and I must say I was somewhat underwhelmed. While the hotel is participating in the London Design Fair which adds some flair, overall I was unimpressed.

Sure, maybe it was because I was coming from the Park Hyatt Vendome in Paris, but still. I was presented as a Diamond with a tiny room on the 6th floor. Basic Diamond amenity was some crostini with pesto which tasted pretty bad a la typical British cuisine. Sorry, Brit friends.

While I am all for ecologically friendly bathrooms, the toilet noises from other rooms was truly unbearable all night long. As was the fire door outside my room which made a horrible noise every time someone came through it.

Constant knocking by housekeeping and the mini bar staff in the mornings between 7 and 9am wasn't convenient and the mini bar (free) was less than impressive. Room service was terrible based on what I ordered (I am not terrible surprised in the UK), and there is no concierge on property. The front desk staff attempts, very poorly I may add, to be concierge but are largely clueless about local venues.

I didn't have a chance to check out the fitness center/spa, so can't comment on that. The rate I paid was fair for London, so I am not complaining about value per say, more about quality overall. Next time I'll try the Regency in London and if that is similar, I'll switch back to the Trafalgar Hilton which has a much better and convenient location. The Liverpool location is pretty poor IMHO.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 8:54 am

Programs: AC-E, SPG-Plat, GP-P, HH-G
Completed a recent 3 night stay

For London, I thought the room was quite large. I was on the 6th floor in a King room, with two porthole windows. While the view is somewhat limited, the rooms still was reasonably bright.

The fitness center is pretty decent, with a reasonable selection of cardio equipment. I found that the style of the hotel was ok, sort of a mix of modern and old. The desk in the room was large enough to do some work and the internet was fast. The mini bar only included 2 still water, 2 sparkling water and 2 juices, with a few snacks that were not consumed by me. But the fridge was convenient to use to store other beverages.

As I had meetings in the City, it was convenient as I only had to walk for about 10 minutes to most meetings.

I actually found that room service food to be better than most of the restaurant meals in London. Now you have to keep in mind that when I ordered room service, it was usually after 10 pm, and after spending most of the evening at various pubs.

I got a very decent rate that included breakfast.

I cannot comment too much about service, aside from the fact that I like to be left alone. So if people are friendly and responsive to requests, that is enough for me.

I asked about car service to LHR and the hotel quoted me 120 GBP. Yikes, ordered outside service and it came to 43GBP.
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I'm looking at staying here next month. Are they near a tube station, or will I need to take a car service to LHR?
Old Oct 2, 2010, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PLT Pro 1.9 MM, Hyatt-Explorer, Marriott-Gold, Super 8--Formica
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I'm looking at staying here next month. Are they near a tube station, or will I need to take a car service to LHR?
Hotel is nearly attached to the Liverpool St. Tube station which is a fairly major transit point. the Picadilly line goes to LHR, and there are several connection points that can get you to Liverpool St.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 11:29 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Trustguy
Hotel is nearly attached to the Liverpool St. Tube station which is a fairly major transit point. the Picadilly line goes to LHR, and there are several connection points that can get you to Liverpool St.
But, it would be a long Tube ride from LHR to Liverpool Street. It might be quicker to take Heathrow Express to Padington and the Tube from there.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by jjbc
I asked about car service to LHR and the hotel quoted me 120 GBP. Yikes, ordered outside service and it came to 43GBP.
I just called the hotel to ask a few questions, and they mentioned that I could get the car service for 130 GBP.. I'll keep looking into my option. I believe the tube starts running at 5am on Sundays?
Old Oct 3, 2010, 3:57 pm
thc

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Platinum
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
There is a SuperShuttle type van service and I have found that I prefer this option if you have a lot of bags since it is door to door and you don't have to switch from train to train or train to cab. Plus the Paddington Express is not cheap in my opinion.

If you just have a small carry-on, Paddington Express and then another subway or switching to a cab is fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.