Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Liverpool Street - London - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:56 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I am in the middle of an eight day stay -- @92GBP senior rate for ALL eight nights (it pays to be "old"). This was reserved 4-6 months in advance. I am in a queen double which is perfectly adequate for me -- tho I won't be so happy paying the current 385GBP weekday rate! Considering the included FULL choice breakfast and free internet, this is the steal of the year.
Old Nov 26, 2007, 5:04 pm

Let's give my recent stay a "mixed" review......

Check-In and asked for a possible PLT upgrade to a bigger room. The staff member said he had two types available a suite or a king type. I asked if this was a free upgrade and he said no I'm going to charge you.

Well I was glad I asked. I declined the upgrade.

He took me to a room on the second floor with a view of a concrete wall.
Look way up there he pointed you can see some sky.......please show me another room......

This one maybe on 4 had a window that could not be opened or even had curtains that worked since the window was a circle. The desk was stained and i said take me back to the old room.....I give up.

He said let me try again and then it was a third floor room that had 1/2 a view plus a window that opened. I quit while I was ahead.

The "healthy" mini bar means items you would not ever buy if you spent your own money.

No soft drinks....just 4 waters and 4 juices......YOU MUST LIKE APPLE
3 of the bottles were apple something.....the other one pear juice.

Hello.....what about orange ???? Where is the pepsi ????

I did the free laundry......You are limited to one free bag per room per stay.
Came back pressed in a basket.....very nice.

Free WI-FI.....use your laptop or their TV Web with wireless key board.

Nice touch.

Breakfast served on the weekends till 11:00am.

The restaurant could not handle the crowd either day but Sunday was the worst. "I'll seat you in 10minutes and take your order in 45 minutes."

"please go back in your room.....use room service"

I was in no hurry so I waited. The bills each day came to about 35 pounds for one person. Service was added to the check so no tipping either.

THE BREAKFAST WAS GREAT !!!! Very tasty and all-you-can-order !

At check-out bill was correct except that they wanted to bill me for the newspaper at my door. They took it off "since I didn't know" but said it was because they are so "green".

What about Gold Passport Benefits.....always the free paper. Are they a Hyatt or not....

I'd love to train the staff on Gold Passport Benefits.

If I was still a diamond I'd be back at the Churchill.....They love the gold passport people! But just a PLT......I would go back to the Andaz...

Too bad it is so far from the West End....
Old Dec 1, 2007, 6:00 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Did this renovation make any of the rooms LARGER than they were before? I have only seen two different room styles in my one stay at this hotel, but the first one was the "king studio" that domirule seems to regard as a major, unattainable upgrade, and it's about 25sqm; i.e., cruise ship cabin size. (The second was a weirdly shaped suite.)

Of course, if you mention the tiny room size to hotel staff, you get the standard reply which is used everywhere outside the U.S. to justify a tiny hotel room, "Hah hah! You know, of course, that rooms here in <insert country name> are traditionally smaller than in the U.S."
Well, I'm in a room at the Hilton Paddington now that is twice as large as anything I ever got on a cruise ship. And the Hilton Paddington seems to value my business as opposed to Hyatt when I stayed at the Great Eastern over the summer. It will be a cold day in XXX before I stay at the Great Eastern again especially since its head seems to have gone to its rates. Perhaps if someone from Hyatt contacted me personally, welcomed me back, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. But, that sort of thing never happens at Hyatt.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I will be at the Andaz in London in the coming week and look forward to checking it out since I haven't been there since it officially opened as an Andaz.

Are there any GoldPassport bonus point earning opportunities with this property?

RATES INCLUDE BREAKFAST, INTERNET, MINIBAR, LOCAL CALLS, LAUNDRY AND MOVIES. THANK YOU FOR CHOOSING ANDAZ LIVERPOOL STREET LONDON
How much laundry does it include?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by GUWonder
How much laundry does it include?
No mention about volume of laundry included in the rate but it appeared that the limitation was not reasonable volume of laundry, just that dry cleaning was not included and that clothes must be given in by 10 a.m. for them to comes in the same evening.

Does the included minibar only include juices and water or are other options ever present too? It seems like there is nothing else in the minibar besides just the non-alcoholic beverages mentioned by me.

The included movies include the "blockbuster" selection which are a reasonably contemporary set of movies, about as contemporary as the most contemporary movies to be found on international airlines.

The included free local telephone calls obviously do not include local cell phone numbers.

The included free local internet is a nice feature, but it has some slow-downs.

Most of the rooms are small but at least the bathrooms are a decent enough size. The rooms have a sort of high-end IKEA-feel to them with some more contemporary touches and well selected toiletries. The issue is access to natural light, which for many rooms only comes from the windows looking in on the hotel's "inner core" which supplies some light through the skylight. I must say that the room has sort of a Scandic St. Jorgen windowless-cabin room hotel feel to it. Another issue as mentioned earlier is the noise from the water/drainage system.

The included breakfast is a nice feature with options to have it either as room service or in either one of two restaurants on premises.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:09 am

No mention about volume of laundry included in the rate but it appeared that the limitation was not reasonable volume of laundry, just that dry cleaning was not included and that clothes must be given in by 10 a.m. for them to comes in the same evening.

Does the included minibar only include juices and water or are other options ever present too? It seems like there is nothing else in the minibar besides just the non-alcoholic beverages mentioned by me.

The included movies include the "blockbuster" selection which are a reasonably contemporary set of movies, about as contemporary as the most contemporary movies to be found on international airlines.

The included free local telephone calls obviously do not include local cell phone numbers.

The included free local internet is a nice feature, but it has some slow-downs.

Most of the rooms are small but at least the bathrooms are a decent enough size. The rooms have a sort of high-end IKEA-feel to them with some more contemporary touches and well selected toiletries. The issue is access to natural light, which for many rooms only comes from the windows looking in on the hotel's "inner core" which supplies some light through the skylight. I must say that the room has sort of a Scandic St. Jorgen windowless-cabin room hotel feel to it. Another issue as mentioned earlier is the noise from the water/drainage system.

The included breakfast is a nice feature with options to have it either as room service or in either one of two restaurants on premises.
I stayed at this hotel a week ago for one night, and moved to the Churchill after that. Things didn't start well, when the "front desk" announced that they didnt have any king rooms avaliable, and that they would put me in a Queen. I pointed out that I had booked a king at a higher rate, and wanted the room that I had booked.

They put me in the queen room while they found a King. Four hours later the King room was avaliable (I checked in at 2:30pm).

The mini bar was not really what I expected - I had expected something more than apple juice and water...

The laundry service is only useful if you are staying for more than one night.

Internet connection was good, but the TV had some issues (it didnt really seem to want to change channels).

Had a room on the second floor with the view of a wall.

Another issue with rooms on the second floor is that the conference facilities are located on the same floor, so as I was navigating luggage to the elevator, there was a conference/meeting going on break and seemingly hundreds of people clogging the path to the elevators.

All in all not at all impressed, I think they are trying too hard to be cool, and not pulling it off very well.

The prime example that comes to mind with this is the lack of any kind of folio of information about the hotel, there is an odd magazine type thing, but apart from info about local pubs etc, the hotel information is a mystery (I didn't know until reading this that room service breakfast was an option).

I feel like this should be a hotel I like, I'm in my 30's, I spend alot of time travelling, I really wanted to like this hotel, but really, give me the Churchill any day - it pulls off contempory room design, and good service in a far classier way than this hotel does.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:38 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Not to mention that for most people the Churchill is in a better location!
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AN-Diamond
I stayed at this hotel a week ago for one night, and moved to the Churchill after that. Things didn't start well, when the "front desk" announced that they didnt have any king rooms avaliable, and that they would put me in a Queen. I pointed out that I had booked a king at a higher rate, and wanted the room that I had booked.

They put me in the queen room while they found a King. Four hours later the King room was avaliable (I checked in at 2:30pm).

The mini bar was not really what I expected - I had expected something more than apple juice and water...

The laundry service is only useful if you are staying for more than one night.

Internet connection was good, but the TV had some issues (it didnt really seem to want to change channels).

Had a room on the second floor with the view of a wall.

Another issue with rooms on the second floor is that the conference facilities are located on the same floor, so as I was navigating luggage to the elevator, there was a conference/meeting going on break and seemingly hundreds of people clogging the path to the elevators.

All in all not at all impressed, I think they are trying too hard to be cool, and not pulling it off very well.

The prime example that comes to mind with this is the lack of any kind of folio of information about the hotel, there is an odd magazine type thing, but apart from info about local pubs etc, the hotel information is a mystery (I didn't know until reading this that room service breakfast was an option).

I feel like this should be a hotel I like, I'm in my 30's, I spend alot of time travelling, I really wanted to like this hotel, but really, give me the Churchill any day - it pulls off contempory room design, and good service in a far classier way than this hotel does.
I recall the Philips flat screen TV having some issues too -- the channels seemed to "stick" or "double jump".

They don't seem to do upgrades for Platinums and Diamonds -- if they do, we couldn't tell.

The Stock magazine that is the hotel guide of sorts does have one page at the back called Guest Services but it is short on details of what is actually available.

Isn't the second floor of the hotel a coed dormitory for younger singles? I couldn't tell the difference.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:16 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
FFN Nights

Does anyone knows if FFN can be used at ANDAZ? If it can, this might be a good way of checking this exclusive property out.

Thanks
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:23 am

Programs: Various
Originally Posted by klakhav
Does anyone knows if FFN can be used at ANDAZ? If it can, this might be a good way of checking this exclusive property out.

Thanks
No, this property is not available for use of a FFN according the the terms of the promotion.

*** A minimum of a three-night award stay is required for Faster Free Nights Award(s) redemption in non-resort hotels during mid-week (i.e., Monday through Thursday). One or two-night stays at non-resort hotels are available on weekends only. A weekend is generally defined as Friday through Sunday, but may vary to conform to local custom and practice in certain countries. Faster Free Nights Award(s) redemption is not valid at Manchester Grand Hyatt San Diego, the Great Eastern Hotel - London or Hyatt Regency Paris — Madeleine.

Last edited by Robt760; Dec 3, 2007 at 8:28 am
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:39 am
Suspended

If this property is to be called the Andaz for long, when will he GEH logo on items -- such as towels and bathrobes -- go away?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:46 am
trd

I was there during the official change over a couple of weeks ago. Overnight the name plaque on the outside and the Terminus restaurant changed names. I am sure more to come.
Old Dec 4, 2007, 11:58 pm
Suspended

The Andaz property is not available for Faster Free Night award redemptions per the terms and conditions of the FFN promotion (which also has it referred to as the Great Eastern Hotel). It is fortunately a property that is available for redemption using GoldPassport points.

I am just wondering how long after check-out it takes for a stay to be credited to the account.
Old Dec 5, 2007, 8:37 am
trd

The Andaz property is not available for Faster Free Night award redemptions per the terms and conditions of the FFN promotion (which also has it referred to as the Great Eastern Hotel). It is fortunately a property that is available for redemption using GoldPassport points.

I am just wondering how long after check-out it takes for a stay to be credited to the account.

It took about a week for me -- I checked out 11/19
Old Jan 12, 2008, 12:19 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I stayed here last night and have some observations:

- Room had two windows both with curtains
- Hotel seem quiet but that might just be my room at the end of the corridot
- Breakfast starts at 0730 on Sats and requires you to leave the hotel and take a 1 minute walk outside
- Free wired and wireless internet
- Turndown was just that, no ice, no chocolate
- Large room - possible upgrade?
- Grapes, apple, banana and two bottle of water - diamond amenity?
- Large TV
- Big bathroom with REN toiletries but seperate shower is a big step up
- Toilet uses some suction system which can be noisy
- Free mini-bar with water and juices in room

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.