Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt house (Summerfield) - Scottsdale, AZ - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 24, 07, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st

I searched for a master SS Thread and didn't find one, so here is a start.

SUMMERFIELD SUITES - SCOTTSDALE, AZ

The SS Scottsdale is in Old Town, on the East side of Drinkwater across from the Hyatt Place Scottsdale, and about two blocks north of the Scottsdale Stadium where the San Francisco Giants play their Spring Training Games.

Location: It is in Scottsdale, what more could you ask for? Seriously, it is two blocks north of the Scottsdale Mall (green park, not shopping center), the Scottsdale Modern Arts Center, and the Scottsdale Main Library. One block west of all that is the serious Touristica of Old Town. It is about a six block walk northwest to the Fashion Square Mall and the new Canal developments. Destination dining is all around, shopping is plentiful, spas are everywhere and all within pleasant walking or staggering distance. Scottsdale also runs a trolley service with a stop just up the street at the Culinary Center.

Rooms: Dim and a bit frousty, this is clearly an older SS. Carpets a bit old, big dusty bedspreads, lots of dim drapes, etc. The big bed takes up all of the bedroom area, and the Kitchenette / sitting area are fine but nothing to write home about. Nothing at all like the Danish Modern Hyatt Place right across the street. Old yellow Portico bath stuff.

Amenities: It has a pool that was in heavy use by a lot of pale snowbirds, and it will give your kids a fun morning. A large breakfast area that serves eggs and toast and cereals, etc. is adjacent the front lobby.

Service: The front desk was pleasant and polite, and they were gracious with me despite my checking in and out each morning (got to get those extra-credit stays in before the month ends). The other hotel staff were also polite and friendly.

Points: The first night's stay posted immediately, the subsequent ones are still outstanding four days later. I have read on FT that the SS and GP systems do not interface, so I will wait patiently for another week before hassling them.

Ambience: No one is kidding you about being in a Hyatt, like HP tries to do. The rates were about $18 a night cheaper than the HP, and the staff were willing and able. Since we weren't hanging around in the hotel rooms, it didn't bother me too much, but until they update the heavy wooden furniture and freshen up the rooms a bit, I will stick to the Gainey Ranch and HP locales in Scottsdale. Unless, of course, GP runs another special that makes the difference worth it.
Old Sep 18, 08, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Upon checking in here, I was asked for my credit card and drivers license. I noticed that he had photocopied the drivers license before mine. I showed them the latter through the clear pocket in my wallet.

Clerk: "Actually, I need to photocopy that."
Me: "Actually, you don't."
Clerk: Stunned Look
Me: "Nobody ever photocopies my drivers license. Ever. I stay at Hyatt properties all around the country, including a Summerfield Suites last week, and nobody has ever asked me that. We can call Hyatt Corporate if you'd like and discuss it with them....."
Clerk: Looks at me, looks at the other clerk, then goes along and finishes checking me in like he had never asked about it.

Meanwhile, I hate the GP room preferences. I have it set to "high floor" for big Hyatts, so of course here I get a 3rd floor walkup. Fortunately, I don't have much luggage and am only here one night for FFN.

But the odds of me returning here are minimal even though the location is very good. I'll go back to the Hyatt Place at Metrocenter the next time I need a Hyatt stay, as that's closer to my client site anyway.
Old Sep 18, 08, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ElmhurstNick View Post
I'll go back to the Hyatt Place at Metrocenter the next time I need a Hyatt stay, as that's closer to my client site anyway.
Plus you get 2000 points at Metro Center instead of 750.
Old Sep 18, 08, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by bbbb View Post
Plus you get 2000 points at Metro Center instead of 750.
Yep. I was willing to forgo the points (heresy!) this time because I was actually interested in staying in this property year-round when I'm alone and visiting clients here, even though said clients are over in the vicinity of the Capital west of downtown. I need to stay close to the state government maximum rate even though Hyatt usually won't qualify me, and the SS had a good rate.

But I'm not willing to accept bad customer service, a much longer driving time, and 3rd-floor walk-up exterior rooms just to be within walking distance of dinner options.
Old Apr 25, 11, 10:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Nothing more recent than 2008? Help me out. I've booked my next trip to PHX at the Summerfield Suites in Scottsdale. Anyone spotting this have any updated information? I'm not locked in to the property so I don't have any problem changing my reservation.
Old May 5, 11, 8:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
Well, despite no recent feedback I kept my stay at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites Scottsdale. Now I only get 20 to 30 nights a year overall and I'm probably a little more relaxed on my expectations of a hotel than a lot of the more serious road warriors here on FT. Now you know my background and the context of my comments.

I enjoyed my stay at the HSS Scottsdale. I arrived later than expected due to flight delays. The check in went smoothly. I had reserved a one bedroom king suite. They gave me a two bedroom king suite.

The room was clean. The furnishings were rather dated, but the bedding and the matress were fairly new. Each room had a LCD HD TV. There was a DVD player in the living room area. The kitchen was better than I expected. It had a full size stove and refrigerator, microwave, dishes, etc. The refrigerator was in good working order. I didn't use the stove or the microwave. The bathrooms were nice, but definitely dated. I felt like I'd stepped back in time with the tub/shower. Doing the toilet tank test gave a date of 1998 for the last updates.

My room was on the second floor in what I would call the back corner of the property. The parking lot was well lit and there's a block wall that surrounds the property. There are no elevators, but one flight of stairs was no big deal. I'd have been fine with climbing to the third floor.

I never used the pool, but there were plenty of folks there that did. It seemed big for a hotel pool. I used the fitness center one morning and the treadmill was fine for running even for someone of my girth. There were free weights and other exercise machines. Water cooler. Towel rack.

This property had one of the better free breakfasts that I've experienced. And the social hour in the evening was good too. Not quite as much food as a Homewood Suites, but still plenty.

The location is good. It is a one mile walk to the big mall. It's just a block or two before you get to the artsy district of Scottsdale.

All in all, I was happy with my stay. I'd stay there again, but I always try to find a new hotel when I'm in town. At this point, it would be my first choice for a repeat visit of all the hotels I've stayed at in the Phoenix area.
Old Apr 7, 13, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Post renovation stay

I am very impressed by this property and the renovation to the new Hyatt House standard decor package.New carpet,drapes, case goods, sofa unit, bed and reworked bathroom area.
Lobby area looks great as do the public areas and breakfast room.

This is a former Summerfield Suites property. It is in very good shape and looks almost new.

Be aware that none of the three story buildings have elevators.

No dining options in the immediate 4 block area. There is a rather posh mall close by and there are dining options within a one mile radius. It is a bit of a drive to any of the freeways.
Old Apr 7, 13, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Big Guy, you missed several restaurants right across the road and behind the Hyatt House.

Across the street:
- Jackrabbit Lounge
- Pearl Sushi
- Quizno's
- Ben & Jack's Steak
- Firehouse
Granted, these places all have the entrances facing away from Drinkwater Ave.

Behind Hyatt House on 6th Ave and Stetson:
- Barney's Boathouse
- Scottsdale Disco
- Martini Ranch
- Revolver
- DJs of Scottsdale
- Shotgun Betty's
- Chances Are
- Spanish Fly
- American Junkie
- The Lodge
- Smashboxx
For these, you need to walk one (or one and a half) block northwest on Drinkwater, then turn east and walk along 6th or Stetson.

If you walk the one block northwest and then turn west on 5th Ave, another block brings you to Scottsdale Road, which has so many restaurants I won't bother with a listing.
Old Apr 8, 13, 6:11 pm

Thanks Wilbur
The desk person did not mention any of those and my Google GPS was acting up
Old Apr 9, 13, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Plus the stretch of Drinkwater that the hotel is on runs diagonally, unlike 97% of the rest of the Scottsdale streets, so you can't actually see any of the restaurants from the hotel.
Old Apr 14, 15, 4:22 pm

Another nice long weekend stay. This time I received a first floor courtyard view. Next time i will request the top floor.
Nothing much has changed. It was nice to see the lights wrapped in blue gels to honor Autism Speaks
Old Jan 2, 19, 12:15 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Had an one night stay during the holiday. Since we wanted to explore Old Town, I did not want to pay the top rate for the stay.

The room is decent, but clearly shows its age and needs some maintenance. The breakfast is good and we like it.

It is a value stay. I really feel that we should spend more time exploring the Old Town, than staying at hotel.
Old Oct 16, 19, 7:49 am

Good location. Average rooms for an HH. I was completely unaware of the layout: as someone mentioned above it is a sprawling campus with multiple 3-story buildings and no elevators. This was not good as we checked in around 2a with a baby and a stroller...and it was raining. No other rooms available. Had to lug lots of luggage and baby gear, in the rain, and up the stairs. Was told to try switching rooms in the morning, so I asked the next morning and was told there would be nothing available at all besides another 3rd floor. They had 2-bedrooms on the ground floor I could upgrade to if I wanted to pay. Ended up calling Hyatt to inquire if it was at all possible to switch my reservation to the HP across the street. I had booked the HH on points and the HP was the same number of points, however the HP was also showing as sold out lol. I figured it was a Hail Mary, but I was driving 30 minutes so might as well make the phone call...the agent was really kind and seemingly really wanted to help (put me on hold several times to talk to people and check some things)...in the end though she said there was nothing available at all. So I will never know definitively if they would even have outright given me the chance to switch my reservation, but at least they built up good will in the apparent attempt. This was also the stay that prompted me to go for Hyatt status. It was early-Feb and I found myself at 6 nights and I had always had good experiences with Hyatt.

Plus now I have flyertalk so I won't end up in the same poor situation at checkin!
Old Dec 25, 20, 1:42 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

This is my late review.

Hyatt House Scottsdale/Old Town - Good Location

I believe the category has been changed from 2 to 3 with the 2019 category change.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: