Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Please critique my stay 2, get 1 free plan for Kauai

Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Gold , National Emerald Exec, Hertz Presidents, Delta Gold

Here's my plan.

My wife and I honeymooned at the Hyatt Kauai 11 years ago for our honeymoon.

We will be in Kauai at the end of October and I would like to stay there 10/27- 10/29.

Paying the regular rate of over $400 a night doesn't sound appealing.

The elite certs for $250 a night sounds more appealing, but I can't figure out how to make sure the hotel will accept the certs on those dates.

The most appealing option appears to be the stay 2 get one free promo, which I signed my wife and I up for tonight. It looks like for about the same money as buying the certs outright, we can enjoy a few stays at other Hyatts near where we live and still stay in Kauai 2 nights. However, the problem again is I don't know a way to make sure the hotel will accept the certs for those days. And if the hotel doesn't accept the certs for the days we are looking for, there is no reason for me to stay at a hotel close to home, more or less to generate the cert, but as well to have the kids swim in a nice pool.

I tried the workaround in the thread about checking hotel cert availability, but kept getting an error message that the code was incorrect. And, I'm unsure whether by the time I earn the free night with stays whether availability will still be available on the dates I need.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Originally Posted by Bikeguy
Here's my plan.

My wife and I honeymooned at the Hyatt Kauai 11 years ago for our honeymoon.

We will be in Kauai at the end of October and I would like to stay there 10/27- 10/29.

Paying the regular rate of over $400 a night doesn't sound appealing.

The elite certs for $250 a night sounds more appealing, but I can't figure out how to make sure the hotel will accept the certs on those dates.

The most appealing option appears to be the stay 2 get one free promo, which I signed my wife and I up for tonight. It looks like for about the same money as buying the certs outright, we can enjoy a few stays at other Hyatts near where we live and still stay in Kauai 2 nights. However, the problem again is I don't know a way to make sure the hotel will accept the certs for those days. And if the hotel doesn't accept the certs for the days we are looking for, there is no reason for me to stay at a hotel close to home, more or less to generate the cert, but as well to have the kids swim in a nice pool.

I tried the workaround in the thread about checking hotel cert availability, but kept getting an error message that the code was incorrect. And, I'm unsure whether by the time I earn the free night with stays whether availability will still be available on the dates I need.

Any help would be appreciated.
First of all, what is the stay 2, get 1 free promo?

My advice would be to call the diamond desk (or your respective level desk) and ask them to check. If they are no help, call the hotel directly and explain your dilemma to them...make sure you blather on and on about how you LOVE their hotel, etc. and you had your honeymoon there, etc.etc....IF they have availability, see if you can "hold it", and then get the persons name...call back, book it when you have the certs, and blather on and on again about the hotel...you'll probably get upgraded and champagne, etc...usually works for me! :-)

Now spill the beans about the stay 2 get 1 free thingy...
Old Jul 30, 2007, 9:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bsdstone
Now spill the beans about the stay 2 get 1 free thingy...
It's a promo that is running this month only.

If you become a new Hyatt Passport member, they will give you a free night if you stay twice in the next 90 days. There's a thread on it in this forum already.

If you are already logged in and hyatt.com recognizes you, you will not get the offer. Just log out and click on Gold Passport to see the offer.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:28 am

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 2013 at 2:06 pm
Old Jul 31, 2007, 1:40 pm

At the time I am posting this your nights are available on certs. I would call Hyatt and book the nights using certs and then order the certs a few weeks before your trip,they ship very fast. You don't need the certs until you get to the hotel.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:41 pm

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm
Old Jul 31, 2007, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by nonyflyer
The free night cert for new Gold Passport members is awarded electronically.
The shipping discussed is for the $250 Elite Level stay certificates.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

First, thanks for a great welcome to this forum. What great FT spirit,

Second, I'm really liking Hyatt right now.^

I just called the Gold Passport line and reserved 2 nights for the GH Kauai, based on certificates my wife and I will acquire after 2 stays, most likely in the Detroit area.

Basically, for the same cost as the cert for 2 nights in GH Kauai, we get 6 nights, 2 there and 4 in other Hyatt hotels. And the price is the same for 2 or 6 nights.

You gotta love hotel programs!

Thanks for the help and the MC link.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 7:37 pm

Smile

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 2013 at 1:46 pm
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nonyflyer
If you are able to stay at the Hyatt Place Detroit/Utica or Detroit/Auburn Hills, you could also enroll for the 5,000 point Hyatt Place Bonus.

For the two nights you will then earn:
- 3,000 Points Mastercard Bonus
- 5,000 Points Hyatt Place Bonus
- 500 Base Points per Stay
= 8,500 Points and 1 Stay certificate
x2 = 17,000 Points

It sounds like you're both staying two nights each, earning one cert each on two new accounts. Combine the points required for award redemption by transferring them onto one account. You can do this by making a reservation for a tier 4 award stay.

Then purchase 1,000 additional points for $20. You will also then have enough points required for a 18,000 point-based award stay at the Grand Hyatt Kaui and can change the reservation from the tier 4property you might use to combine the points into one account. If your vacation doesn't give you time for this third night, you could use it at a Park Hyatt or another top tier Hyatt property

I believe this will work!
Very nice!

Although the way I read the rules, each stay will generate over 500 points @ 5 points per dollar, and I'll earn the 18K points, if i have a "premium" MC.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 6:46 pm

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 2013 at 1:45 pm
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Well, I just booked a Hyatt Place for $119 a night. We'll both get separate rooms. That is going to be our first stay, because we are busy and we need to get that in before the end of August.

I know my wife's Hyatt stay will be the second week in September. The MC promo doesn't mention no Hyatt Places.

I have no problem with staying at a Hyatt to trigger the bonus, but it isn't going to be our first hotel stay.

I'll just call and talk to them if the bonus doesn't post.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.