Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
Agreed. Why has this property been allowed to languish? Its in such a great location and PSP is booming.
Because of COVID and it being the only Hyatt right now in Palm Springs. I suspect when the Andaz Opens theyll have to get their act together as people will have a choice and a great one at that.

I see theyre renovating their pool right now.

I actually stayed at the lowest Category Hilton in the US last month (10k redemption) and spoke to the assistant GM. He told me all Hilton properties now have to update their rooms every 5 years and bathrooms every 7 at a minimum. Definitely think Hyatt should have hotel owners adopt this policy. I got a suite upgrade at that Hilton and it was like a very modern Junior suite at a HR amazing for 10k (Tulsa South).
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 4:53 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Matt4200
I actually stayed at the lowest Category Hilton in the US last month (10k redemption) and spoke to the assistant GM. He told me all Hilton properties now have to update their rooms every 5 years and bathrooms every 7 at a minimum. Definitely think Hyatt should have hotel owners adopt this policy.
All the big chains have capital expenditure requirements regarding renovations in effect in their contracts. The issue is that properties can also apply for waivers based on certain conditions (market conditions is certainly one of them), and it would appear that this property has received many. Usually, when corporate doesnt agree to a waiver and the property owner isnt willing to commit funds to a renovation, youll see a property either go independent or join a chain with more lax requirements (ie Clarion).
Old Jul 30, 2022, 12:22 pm

Programs: Some/Most/All
Just spent better part of a week here. My thoughts...

Background: Business trip. Indian Wells was a little out-of-reach on price when there are plenty of seemingly-decent, lower-priced (non-Hyatt) options around. OTOH, I need the EQN and the Hyatt badge would be nice, so I went for it.

Based on the comments above, I was hoping for a 'wow, it's from the last century, but it's still charming.' What this place really is is a dump. And there may be a dump or two I just offended. My apologies to those dumps and the posters whose warnings I didn't heed.

Some of this has been said before, but I'll walk through my stay as quickly as possible.

Parking was so-so. As mentioned, self-parking is in the former valet garage, which is around the back. I don't know what the self-parking setup used to be, but it's a bit much to charge $25 for this. (Yeah, you could make the same argument at a lot of properties.) OTOH, OPM.

The front desk staff was nice throughout the trip, but I could tell they were new. For some reason, I thought I was going to have to pry every single bottle of water out of their hands. At $20/night (resort fee,) they should have delivered them to me. (And, indeed, that was the first 'discussion.' They said water was in my room on the first night. It wasn't. Are you sure? We're talking about 2 bottles of water, yes I'm sure.) I really don't think they were trying to be this way, but it was like they didn't understand the concept. But everybody gets water, surely they've seen it before. ???

The only F&B outlet open is the lobby bar. As a low Explorist, I didn't check out breakfast, but the evening selection was an indifferent bartender, a limited menu, and way-too-loud live music. Hard pass.

The room. When I first went up to my room, I contrasted the worn and stained hall/atrium carpet with the new carpet in the room. The new carpet was the high point. (And I should give the new mattress some love, too.) The style was fine. Yes, from last century, but it would have been ok. Except... I don't know when the last time the room was properly cleaned, and I don't know when the last time a maintenance person had been inside of it. I'm not a clean freak. I've seen random hair in hotel rooms before and it doesn't bother me. But three obviously different hairs in different places, plus dust and crumbs is a fail.

I'm trying to remember everything that was 'wrong' with the room, but there're so many it's difficult. The sink faucet leaked when on. Not a big deal, but it had leaked so long that it had eaten away at the caulking on the vanity. The TV remotes didn't work right. Seems nit-picky, but the issue was the cable box has an IR extender and the receiver had come loose and was pointing at the back wall. Easy fix, but why did I have to do it? Tub faucet was dripping. There was a light out in the hall. No big deal for where it was, but it points to the lack of caring. Balcony door didn't lock. (But had a privacy lock.) Coffee maker didn't work right. Again, lack of caring all around.

Sure, the place needs a reno. But, it could be perfectly acceptable if they just cared. But they don't, so I don't care to come back. Yeah, perhaps the Andaz/Thompson delays are messing with them, and sure, staffing is tough right now, but that's not an excuse for what I saw, IMHO. Put just a little effort into this place to make it at least tolerable.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 4:22 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sorry to hear bout your stay JB kettle
This property has long since seen its glory days sadly.
Able to say there was a time when I was proud to stay there 2008 ? sometime after they last renovated their biggest in history.
Unfortunately you have amazing challenges now to get a property up to speed especially in its low season with the PS inferno summer.
Then the staffing challenges & budget issues as a result of the pandemic.Likely not being ready financially for a refresh
Increased competition with the new Kimpton property which is 5 star in comparison and others.
With Andaz Thompson eventually opening in our lifetime potentially even more competition.
My guess is they will do when they have no other choice or it becomes Regency Ramada Suites Inn

Off topic. While not a topic many want to discuss as its complicated.
Hyatt once a global leader in Food and beverage seems to be in decline in quite a few locations.
Its what made me a Hyatt customer as a younger man excellence & exciting menus & recipes
I've had spoiled produce with over cooked dry as sand eggs at a recent close to 5 star Grand Hyatt.
Now add dirty tables and poor understaffed & stressed out service

Some of it is related to corporate failures of their food and beverage decisions and budget cutting or riding out trends like the locally sourced
which may offer lower quality sometimes.The other grass fed beef trend for some years now with frequently disappointing taste.
One of the biggest restaurant groups in America worth billions tested Grass fed and their customers some returned it for inferior taste and texture
and some in the video just spit it out in their napkin complaining they would never come back.That said the company still stocks it by request
Get there is market for it even in perception it may be better for your health or the environment (Not fully true)
I've watched more empty dining rooms at Hyatt's in all the years I travel with them.
Except at breakfast time when many just deal with whatever is there egg beaters (looks like pancake syrup) and I can't believe its not butter helper

There was a day I spent considerably on Hyatt Food and beverage and would go to them regularly to dine without staying.Now almost never
I go out or order Door Dash then subject myself to the new lower standards and limited selections.
Hence with the declining Globalist breakfasts at some select properties
I'm now staying at more non Hyatt brands favoring price, quality and location over brand loyalty.
I accept change for the better or the worse I just move on voting with my wallet at the end of the day where I end up.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 8:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Should I use a suite upgrade at this property or not? Reading all the varied reviews sounds like the entire stay could be a crap shoot. I’m not worried about using the upgrade I would just like to know if the upgraded room is an improvement over the standard king suite?
Old Sep 7, 2022, 10:47 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
Should I use a suite upgrade at this property or not? Reading all the varied reviews sounds like the entire stay could be a crap shoot. I’m not worried about using the upgrade I would just like to know if the upgraded room is an improvement over the standard king suite?
Personally I couldn't imagine using a suite upgrade here when the entire property is all suites.Its not likely to get you anything more
I'd be surprised if they take them because what are you upgrading too?
There are a few VIP suites.Not sure if you can confirm an upgrade into those
I have been upgraded into them but its been years.
Just negotiate/request for what you want before in advance
Ex (Rear of hotel) mountain golf course views(the most quiet) or Palm Canyon (nosier city action the main drag )high floor low floor....................
dw likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 11:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
It's true all the rooms here are suites. There are two other room types - Presidenial Suites and Family Suites. Not sure if these are classified as Premium Suites or if you can use a cert.

I'm usually in a Presidential Suite and that is my preference. These rooms numbers end in 10 and they are about twice as big as the normal rooms. They have a king bedroom and a large separate living room with a table and four chairs. The pull out couches in the living room are in pretty bad shape for sitting or sleeping. Bathrooms are big with a tub & shower. TV in the bedroom & living room with seperate A.C. controls.

They also have a few Family Suites. These rooms end in 17 and they are the largest with two seperate bedrooms and bathrooms connected by a living room and kitchen area with a couch and table. I'm not a fan of these rooms because the A.C. vents don't cool down the master bedroom enough for me. The combo tub & shower in the master bathroom is an odd design and difficult to get into. These rooms have 3 TV's.

Note the parking garage is entirely valet now & the restaurant and bar may have odd hours. If you're a Globalist the free breakfast is good here (better than many Hyatts I've been at recently). Good variety on the menu - I like the salmon benedict. There's also a good spot across the street for fruit bowls & drinks.
ralphs and TravelinSperry like this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 12:14 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG
Should I use a suite upgrade at this property or not? Reading all the varied reviews sounds like the entire stay could be a crap shoot. Im not worried about using the upgrade I would just like to know if the upgraded room is an improvement over the standard king suite?
i would not use a TSU here. TSU gets you into the Cabana Suite, which is on the ground floor, and they are what I call the "motel 6"-type rooms, with large gaps at the bottom of the door, they have direct access from the street.
Since all rooms are suites, I'd simply go with the standard room, or upgrade to the premium suites.
dw likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:25 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Should I use a suite upgrade at this property or not?
No.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 12:51 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Are there any other recommended parking options nearby? Valet only parking for $45/night is a rip-off IMO. I don't plan to use points so as a Glob I would incur the parking fees so just looking for some nearby alternative parking recommendations, thanks.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Self parking is very convenient. The garage is next to the hotel and feeds directly into the lobby. Not sure on cost, didn't scrutinize it as I was there on business for a conference.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 1:09 pm
formerly a193991

Are there any other recommended parking options nearby? Valet only parking for $45/night is a rip-off IMO. I don't plan to use points so as a Glob I would incur the parking fees so just looking for some nearby alternative parking recommendations, thanks.
there is free parking just about 1/4 mile up street. This is just one parking lot, there are many offering free parking

435N N Palm Canyon Dr, Palm Springs, CA 92262, United States

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 13, 2022 at 8:13 am
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:43 am

The WSJ today specifically calls out this hotel in an article about "shabby," poorly maintained expensive hotels. Hyatt responded that it is working with the hotel to get things back on track.
ralphs likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2022, 2:05 pm
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by JetAway
The WSJ today specifically calls out this hotel in an article about "shabby," poorly maintained expensive hotels. Hyatt responded that it is working with the hotel to get things back on track.
link?
i do not find anything online when searching.
tks
Old Nov 10, 2022, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala
link?
i do not find anything online when searching.
tks
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hotel-r...prices-broken-

Or search Shabby Hotels on WSJ site

You may hit a paywall
59Impala and happychic like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.