Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Palm Springs - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2022, 11:11 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I stayed here at the beginning of May. I was here on points, didn't have to pay the resort fee, and self parking was free (for me-- I don't believe parking is included with the resort fee and as an Explorist I wasn't entitled to free parking on an award stay, but nonetheless, I was not charged for it). Ultimately, I had no real complaints given my situation, but I wouldn't have been pleased if I was paying the roughly $300 cash rate.

The room was clean, so that was good. But in a nutshell, it was the most poorly maintained Hyatt I have ever stayed in, and actually reminded me a bit of either (i) Clarion Hotels I stayed in while in college 20+ years ago, that had reflagged from other chains since the property owner didn't want to put the required capital expenditures into maintenance and renovation or (ii) similarly, roughly 20 years ago, government rated 4 star hotels in China that had fallen into disrepair and simply chose to take a 3 star government rating.

It kind of just seemed like the property has given up trying to maintain the rooms, in expectation of an upcoming renovation. Some highlights from my room:
- One of the nightstands was missing a lamp. So there was only one lamp in the entire bedroom
- Not that it was necessarily dirty, but the sheer look of the headboard made me not want to allow any of the pillows to touch it
- No alarm clock (or any clock whatsoever)
- Bedroom curtain was very visibly torn
- Bathroom had a very strong musty odor, which is odd because this is the desert, not a very humid tropical location where I would expect that
- One of the TVs simply wouldn't turn on and there were cables scatted all around it, like someone had tried to fix it and given up
- Console with TV in the living room clearly had a protective glass top at some point, but it had been removed. Yet nobody bothered removing the sticky residue from the nubs that were there before so there were large circles of sticky substance on the surface

Overall all the furniture just looked incredibly old and not maintained. There are certainly hotels (like in Japan) that are trapped in a time warp with incredibly dated furniture, but that are also incredibly well maintained. That was not the case here.

I can't imagine very many situations where a property in such a state would be allowed to maintain the Hyatt flag, but I have to think that the unique circumstanced with this market (including the uncertainly with the new Andaz/Thompson development down the street) have led to Hyatt making many, many exceptions when it comes to mandatory brand standards.
TravisMT81 likes this.
Old May 31, 2022, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
One more May 2022 data point, with photos

Stayed here for 1 night on a free night certificate award, en route to the coast.

Overall I would say it was somewhat better than I expected going in, based on this thread and other reviews.

First the good: the lobby and elevators (or at least the one I used) were sparkling clean. There was new carpet in the room, everything worked, and it was a comfortable enough sleep. Self parking in the underground garage was straightforward and convenient. Breakfast was fine and service was friendly as has been noted. The location to all of the downtown activity is superb.

Now the less good: the furniture in the room is so beat up and stained as to be borderline inappropriate to use for guests. I imagine the renovations must be imminent if they are allowing that level of quality to still be in use. The garage and even the lobby at times had that musty/odd odor that was referenced earlier. The room could have been just a tick cleaner when I checked in. The bar closing at 8pm is ridiculous, and it was busy right up until last call.

Probably I wouldn't stay here again, but that has more to do with my distaste for downtown Palm Springs than the property itself. I had never been to PS before and had no idea the downtown area is apparently a blend of Key West, New Orleans, and Santa Monica.

Suite living room. Apparently all rooms are suites here.

Suite bedroom.

Nice mountain view off the back balcony.

Pool view off the back balcony.

Bathroom with tub-shower combo.

Welcome letter.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
In the midst of a 4 night stay here. I'm very familiar with the property and aware that reviews are all over the map. I'm happy to report that part of their long needed renovation is underway. My bed has a brand new mattress. When I checked with the front desk they said I was just the second person to stay in the room since it was installed. The couch still needs to be replaced but my stay has been fine.

The Globalist Breakfast in the restaurant was good (Salmon Eggs Benedict) and I was pleased with the bartenders this afternoon. Front desk staff was helpful & housekeeping delivered extra pillows and water. Business center is open but there is no happy hour or valet parking yet. Underground parking garage has been split up oddly. If you enter from the front entrance you can't access the hotel. You must use the ramp behind the hotel to get in & out of the garage.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:35 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Considering a stay here on an Off Peak date (9k vs. 12k) flying into Palm Springs but mainly staying towards LA for our real trip. Would primarily stay here just for a night A) for a cheap(ish) first night of the trip and B) to get the “Hyatt” badge.

Many people say this is the most horrid, disgusting Hyatt they’ve ever been to and based solely on stays here will never stay at a Hyatt again, also many negative Globalist reviews which is alarming.

So I wanted to ask is it truly that bad? Or should I give it a chance?

Alternatively we’d stay at Hyatt Regency Orange County.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:00 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Matt4200
Considering a stay here on an Off Peak date (9k vs. 12k) flying into Palm Springs but mainly staying towards LA for our real trip. Would primarily stay here just for a night A) for a cheap(ish) first night of the trip and B) to get the “Hyatt” badge.

Many people say this is the most horrid, disgusting Hyatt they’ve ever been to and based solely on stays here will never stay at a Hyatt again, also many negative Globalist reviews which is alarming.

The HR OC has better food quality & variety at breakfast (you can thank Disneyland traffic for that) and their hard product a bit better on the overall
but I wouldn't be afraid to stay at the HR Palm Springs either
You might see some wear and tear from the years but in over 25 years of staying there I've seen the best and worst of times there
At the end of the day Hyatt will have your back if the apple falls to far from the tree.either the hotel or Hyatt Guest Services.
If you have issue with the room you can always ask for a change
I've always been comfortable there but yes the stays can be uneven.
Hyatt IMO has lost step in many locations during Covid as the economics weren't there to keep quality standards up in many properties
I've seen even the stellar Hyatt properties stumble recently so at the end of the day both housekeeping & F&B more noticeably
YMMV
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
The HR OC has better food quality & variety at breakfast (you can thank Disneyland traffic for that) and their hard product a bit better on the overall
but I wouldn't be afraid to stay at the HR Palm Springs either
You might see some wear and tear from the years but in over 25 years of staying there I've seen the best and worst of times there
At the end of the day Hyatt will have your back if the apple falls to far from the tree.either the hotel or Hyatt Guest Services.
If you have issue with the room you can always ask for a change
I've always been comfortable there but yes the stays can be uneven.
Hyatt IMO has lost step in many locations during Covid as the economics weren't there to keep quality standards up in many properties
I've seen even the stellar Hyatt properties stumble recently so at the end of the day both housekeeping & F&B more noticeably
YMMV
And that’s what’s scary I see countless reviews on Hyatt.com and elsewhere where people even got upgraded to a premium suite like a VIP Suite and the room was horrible, the service was horrible, many things were not functioning correctly.

I’ve just never heard of a property that’s not a HH or HP having so many issues and guest complaints.

It’s funny though, for me many stays were actually better during COVID than pre or semi post (currently) COVID. You really got to see and feel the core product and when the chips were down you truly saw who cared and who strived for providing positive experiences, not just giving the bare minimum.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:29 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA

It‘s YMMV. Location can hardly be beat. Rooms are big, junior suites actually, this hotel being formerly a HR Suites hotel, like the one in Atlanta..
rooms are dated, very dark, brown, small balcony, I don‘t like the set up of the bathroom.
staff friendly, breakfast good, freezing breakfast room.

I will not stay in a Casita Suite again. Ground floor. Huge gap between door and floor. My wife was afraid that insects, bugs or even snakes may sneak in. If I could have parked my car right in front of my room, it could have been a Motel 6 room.

As I mentioned earlier, we did not stay here early June. I have been about 4-5 times, and had it for now. I do not need the EQN anymore. If I did, I probably would have stayed. But if you have never stayed, I can still recommend you give it a chance. Hyatt badge at around 130$ is a good value. AND there is free parking at least near by (that is important to you I believe).

it is really a YMMV thing. Hope I have not confused you more than helping
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold
I've done two weekend stays there this month. They were both fine since my Concierge & I were proactive and reached out before my stays. It's true that the property has gotten horrible reviews. The staff from the G.M. down is entirely new (in the last 6 months) with the exception of a few front desk people. The good news is they seem to be hands on. YMMV really sums it up. I was told that most of the rooms now have new mattresses. My room did on both stays and it made a huge difference. If you're going to stay here I would have your Hyatt Concierge reach to make sure you get a room with a new mattress. Couches and chairs still need to be replaced ASAP & bathrooms are very much YMMV.

Your quality of stay also depends what night of the week you're there. Weeknights are quiet but there are some big multi hotel music festivals on several weekends in the summer. Those are not at the Hyatt but it will change your level of service.

The restaurant does a good job for breakfast but there maybe times on weekends when you have to wait because they are still short staffed. They may close the kitchen early so don't assume you can get lunch or dinner on site. The bar hours may vary too. There are many food & drink options across the street or a short walk away.

They just resurfaced the pool deck but the pool is small & will be crowded on the weekends. The pool bar is closed. Also be aware they are not offering an airport shuttle. If you have an early flight you may have problems getting airport transportation. You should allow plenty of extra time. The city of Palm Springs has some unique rules regarding pet access at hotels. You will encounter many guests with dogs. If that's a problem make sure your concierge requests a non pet room in advance. Finally, this is not a particularly kid friendly location - I don't usually see many children. First longer stays the HR Indian Wells is a better option for families.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
So I wanted to ask is it truly that bad?
Not that bad.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 10:17 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by dpb132
Not that bad.
While I can get on board with that assessment, I also find it hard to recommend this property to someone who has never stayed here, not knowing what their expectations are.

I’ve stayed here more than once (and recently), and given the right price or points redemption, I’d do so again. But is it the worst maintained Hyatt branded property I have ever stayed in? Definitely.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:37 am
formerly a193991

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
we also saw quite a few homeless all over the main area / downtown Palm Springs. We were quite shocked, since we never saw that before in Palm Springs.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 12:49 am

And that’s what’s scary I see countless reviews on Hyatt.com and elsewhere where people even got upgraded to a premium suite like a VIP Suite and the room was horrible, the service was horrible, many things were not functioning correctly.

I’ve just never heard of a property that’s not a HH or HP having so many issues and guest complaints.

It’s funny though, for me many stays were actually better during COVID than pre or semi post (currently) COVID. You really got to see and feel the core product and when the chips were down you truly saw who cared and who strived for providing positive experiences, not just giving the bare minimum.
Its high drama online and many aren't Globalists.Full service Hyatt's typically work hard at pleasing us when if they can.
A number of Hyatt's and other brands are struggling to get back to consistent standards.
I've been on the phone 3 this past months with GMs that share their revenue and staffing pain.The stories some are truly challenging
They really care about getting back to glory day standards Clubs, Food & beverage etc
I absolutely would stay here and just share in advance or at arrival my personal expectations.If they can't deliver then it falls back on them

If folks think its bad now they should have seen this property in the 90s it was a near
dog house kennel it was so bad.It may be aging but I've had some perfectly nice stays here over the years .
My suggestions ask for a best condition room high floor quiet mountain/ golf course view.
Certainly the newer Kimpton will be nicer mostly because its newer and you'll pay or redeem at a higher cost too.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 1:04 am

Originally Posted by 59Impala
we also saw quite a few homeless all over the main area / downtown Palm Springs. We were quite shocked, since we never saw that before in Palm Springs.
Homeless are in most cities now sadly even with multi million dollar dwellings around.
Situation is exploding as inflation /housing costs and increasing rents take their ugly toll on many
When i moved to my wonderful city back in 2006 rents were 1000 to 1400 for a nice enough small unit.Now 2500 a month and higher
In NYC average median rent now approx 4k a month.Not everyone can afford that with all other living expenses.
My investment properties now require tenants to have a 6 figure plus income and good credit scores.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 3:05 am
formerly a193991

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Homeless are in most cities now sadly even with multi million dollar dwellings around.
Situation is exploding as inflation /housing costs and increasing rents take their ugly toll on many
When i moved to my wonderful city back in 2006 rents were 1000 to 1400 for a nice enough small unit.Now 2500 a month and higher
In NYC average median rent now approx 4k a month.Not everyone can afford that with all other living expenses.
My investment properties now require tenants to have a 6 figure plus income and good credit scores.
yes, this is tragic. we visit the US 2-3x a year, except during the Pandemic obviously, as we were not allowed to travel. We are shocked how the situation has developed in the US. Very sad and i feel really sorry for all these folks. L.A. area is really terrible now.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by dw
But is it the worst maintained Hyatt branded property I have ever stayed in? Definitely.
Agreed. Why has this property been allowed to languish? Its in such a great location and PSP is booming.
dw and TravisMT81 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.