Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:00 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol, except for when the cheapest room is $799 per night (like it is tomorrow). Rates are typically sky-high in SF during the week. It's the weekends that rooms can (sometimes) be had under $200/night.
I was looking in late Jan. Weekend rates were running ~$500 and weekdays under $150.
It's a tourist destination, but I suppose it gets a lot of overflow during the week when business hotels fill up.

Now that this hotel's going to cat 5, I'd book the HR embarcadero on points over this property.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I was looking in late Jan. Weekend rates were running ~$500 and weekdays under $150.
So your comment was based on a single data point? Anyone who is at all familiar with SF hotel market, knows the reality is the opposite of your comments.

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
It's a tourist destination
Location within SF matters very little during the week. The hotels often fill up within 40 or 50 miles of the city. And this property is not badly located to reach the financial district, union square, or civic center.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Kacee
So your comment was based on a single data point? Anyone who is at all familiar with SF hotel market, knows the reality is the opposite of your comments.

Location within SF matters very little during the week. The hotels often fill up within 40 or 50 miles of the city. And this property is not badly located to reach the financial district, union square, or civic center.
It's based on more than one weekend. I've been watching the SFO area most of the winter and the pattern has been cheap during the week and expensive on weekends.
True, it's not that far from anywhere in SFO.

Since I normally stay near the airport, this isn't a desirable location for me, but there have been several times I considered booking there during the week due to the low price vs airport and hotels along the BART.

But sure, SFO sux for hotel prices.

Edit: I can see where my original post gives one the impression that it was only based on a single sampling. I have more than 20 hotel nights in the SFO area in the last 4 months and since they're on my dime, I look at a lot of different options. In the case of this hotel, it would require me to BART then take the F trolley to get from the airport for the cheapest transportation option..

Last edited by iflyjetz; Feb 14, 2019 at 9:43 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
SFO is not SF.

Wednesday rates in March at the Hyatt Centric is double the Saturday night rate.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by joe_miami
Not a big fan of destination fees, but this one is disclosed right at the top of the page when booking a room at this hotel.
It appears from a dummy booking I tried that the $20 destination fee isn't assessed on award stays using points or certs. Is that everyone's experience?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:02 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by beltway
It appears from a dummy booking I tried that the $20 destination fee isn't assessed on award stays using points or certs. Is that everyone's experience?
Typically resort fees aren't charged on award stays so I will assume the same applies to destination fees but always good to double check with the hotel
beltway likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ewrp12
The Director of Operations emailed me before my stay and I specifically asked him if parking would be waived. He said yes. I'm not sure if it's general policy or if he made an exception because I asked.
I emailed in response to the "we look forward to seeing you" email -- am staying tomorrow.. The director of operations also said my parking would be waived but clarified (unsolicited) that this was an exception and that generally it is waived only for globalists on award stays (mine is a paid stay).

So, YMMV.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Adequate stay here. Booked a regular king ($125.10 AAA rate was hard to beat). Was given "upgraded king" (not sure what was upgraded about it) on 5th floor, facing outside. I didn't have any problem with facing outside, I didn't hear any noise.

I definitely wouldn't have wanted a "courtyard view" if that means facing the pool & hot tub area, that would seem a little awkward to me... and you would theoretically have a view into rooms across the way, too (the courtyard isn't very big).

The outdoor hot tub was a nice perk. It is 50-something and gloomy and drizzly in SF, so the (probably 95-100 degree, could have stood to be hotter) tub was a welcome diversion.

My main glitch with the room was the lack of anything like a work desk & chair. This is not a business hotel and I wouldn't have stayed here this time, knowing I had work to do, if I'd known there was no proper desk. The shower was also one of those that's impossible to turn on without getting wet. Good bed & linens though. No robe in room (unlike other centrics I've seen) but I gather I could have asked for one.

Didn't make it for breakfast. Ordered a burrito to be delivered via Postmates and was pleased that the delivery person was able to make it to the room rather than requiring me to come to the lobby.

Overall would stay again but will definitely try Grand Hyatt next time for lounge & (presumably?) a proper work desk.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum AA Platinum UA Dirt Grey Marriott Ambassador Hyatt Globalist
Is it really useful to keep this thread merged with reviews from the old Hyatt Fishermans Wharf?

The property is now totally different in terms of style and especially brand. IMHO it should be separated in this Master Thread since it's rebranding to CENTRIC.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 9:37 am

The weekend I stayed there, one night was an award night and the other night was points. Explorist, not Glob. I was not charged a destination fee for either night.
beltway likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:25 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Stayed last weekend on an award night and a night paid by points and was not charged for either night.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:48 pm

As far as the destination fee, this seems to be a Hyatt thing; I've priced rooms with Marriott, Hilton, IHG in San Francisco and they don't include destination fees. The GH and HR in San Francisco also charge this destination fee but the HP in San Francisco does not.

Last edited by iflyjetz; Mar 19, 2019 at 6:51 am
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Good to hear that there's no destination fee on certs. I just applied two of them there before the rate increase.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is just Hyatt's policy. Free stays (points or certs) are inclusive of required charges -- no destination fee, no resort fee, no service charge, no taxes. It doesn't vary from property to property. If you don't charge additional (optional) things to your room (room service, restaurant, spa, etc etc) you will not owe anything.

This is why it's important to take these additional charges into account when determining the value of a points redemption. In particular, the taxes can add a huge amount in some locations.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:33 pm

It seems as of this month, this hotel is now also a category 5 hotel (like all other Hyatt’s in SF) and so is no longer eligible for cat1-4 free night awards...

I was surprised and disappointed when the Regency became cat5, but ok. However it is a little ridiculous to suggest this Centric hotel is at the same level as the Grand Hyatt. The only thing is has going for it is the location.

And why was the new Hyatt Place made cat5 from the get go? Also seems crazy.

Now I’m not sure what to do with my award nights.

What do others think?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.