Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Club upgrade using points...need to pay extra for second guest?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Club upgrade using points...need to pay extra for second guest?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Location: SYD, Australia......Hotels: HHon LT Diamond, Hyatt LT Glob, Marriott AMB (LT Gold), IHG AMB (20 years of SCC and RoyAMB dropped 2024)...Airlines: BA GGL (OW Emerald), LH FTL (*S), QF Plat (LT Gold), VA, UA Silver (*S), SQ Silver (*S)
Originally Posted by Platcomike
It sounds pretty grim for this particular member but my experience has been different. I think this was visit number 6 to PH Canberra. I have always found them to be very courteous and helpful, although sometimes lacking in experience. The quaint uniforms they wear always amuse me when I walk in.

I just stayed there two weeks ago and had absolutely no problems. My room was AU$230 for two people. Prevailing rate during a pretty slow time since Parliament was on holiday and the weather is awful.

I upgraded to Club using 3000 points and that was that. Both of us were able to use the lounge, and had a wonderful room as always.

In the past, I have stayed there alone and have always had a great experience, usually upgrading from the single rate.

That's very interesting. Just wondering, did you upgrade at the hotel or in advance by calling GP?

I just checked a few dates in October and during slow times the hotel can be had for between $200 and $220 at the prevailing rate. So, it's not unusual.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Platinum, 2MM since 1981, MAR Lifetime Plat, IHG Plat Amb. Global Entry
I upgraded in advance through the GP line in the US.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by nonyflyer
Several years ago I came across another thread............................................ .......

Does anyone else see the vast difference in the response from Hyatt?
Very similar circumstances there. The only difference was the outcome:

From old-thread:
Rather than make excuses, Hyatt stepped up to the plate and made things right - unfortunately a rarity with many other FF programs as evidenced by the postings on this BB!
Seems like both Hyatt and the individual hotel had an easy opportunity to step up to the plate and make this right, but nobody did even though it was so simple.

I only stayed at my very first Hyatt 4-5 years ago (when they reeled me in with one of those 3 month Diamond trials that they sent out to top-tier elite status fliers at all the airlines) so I'm not sure how much the Hyatt treatment is dropping, but it seems like I see more and more people complaining about Hyatts customer service lately. For the record though, I'm myself have been happy with Hyatt/GP C.S.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 8:18 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by gregorygrady
I only stayed at my very first Hyatt 4-5 years ago (when they reeled me in with one of those 3 month Diamond trials that they sent out to top-tier elite status fliers at all the airlines) so I'm not sure how much the Hyatt treatment is dropping, but it seems like I see more and more people complaining about Hyatts customer service lately. For the record though, I'm myself have been happy with Hyatt/GP C.S.
They reeled me in with one of those offers too (DL PM then). However, I had been a regular at the former PH SF since 1990 and a few other scattered Hyatts every now and then otherwise. Since then, I've usually stayed at Hyatts if practical and not too much more expensive.

I haven't had much complaint with GP CS (they're usually quite helpful). However, I haven't run into a problem like the OP here either. One of my annoyances which is ongoing is that something booked on hyatt.com should automatically get you points & stay credit - period.
Old Aug 2, 2007, 6:41 am

I've never had this problem although I occasionally find some hotels making up their own rules (Singapore doesn't honour free tea/ coffee in the morning for GP members- I was charged $20). Paying 6000 points is enough to upgrade for 4 nights- there should be no cash payment at all. You are 100% correct that the points pay for the room.

Generally Park Hyatts don't have club lounges- I think only in Australia. This is very disappointing from Hyatt.
Old Aug 6, 2007, 3:12 pm

Last edited by nonyflyer; Sep 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm
Old Feb 6, 2009, 11:08 pm

Trouble with Upgrade

I am trying to use points to upgrade my sons upcoming stay at the PH Canberra. I called up GP and they said that it would cost 3000 points + $350 to upgrade to a club room. I then spoke to another GP agent who said it would only cost 3000 points, but that there was no availability for points upgrades, although there were club rooms available?

Does this sound right to you?

Also, can I use my points to upgrade my sons room, or do I need to transfer them to his GP account, and let him do it himself.

Thanks for your help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.