It Lives Again..... Somewhat

Old May 18, 07, 2:49 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Post It Lives Again..... Somewhat

Rather than Tear Down the Former 922 room Hyatt Orlando the Moinian Group
Will Temporarily Reopen the Vacant Hotel to Generate Income By Daphne Sashin, The Orlando Sentinel, Fla.McClatchy-Tribune Regional News
May 17, 2007 - KISSIMMEE -- Rather than tear down the former Hyatt Orlando off Interstate 4 and U.S. Highway 192, the owners will temporarily reopen the vacant hotel to generate income while they await approvals to transform the property into a much larger luxury resort.

The hotel is scheduled to open June 1 as Orlando Sun Resort by Lexington, with a $5 million makeover more than three years after the Hyatt closed. About half the 922 rooms will open initially, with the rest likely to open in September, at rates comparable to those at the Radisson next door.

The hotel could stay open at least two years while the New York-based Moinian brothers await land-use approvals, find investors and complete the designs for the planned Landmark Sun Resort & Spa.

http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2...7_ExHyatt.html

Last edited by Markie; May 18, 07 at 11:43 pm Reason: reproduction in full of copyright articles are against TOS
Old May 21, 07, 4:52 pm

We almost stayed there on a priceline bid a few years ago, but it was too crappy even for $20 / nt. I did get two nice Diamond amenities which we took to our jr. suites (SPG Plat upgrade) at the WDW Swan instead.

$5,400 per room will probably not be enough to elevate it from being a dump.
Old May 21, 07, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I spent part of my honeymoon there, nearly 25 years ago. The travel agent suggested this property over one of the 2 Disney hotels because "you don't want to pay $50 more per night to put your head on a pillow."

I can't say it was bad. But then again, I was 23 and I really hadn't been in too many hotels before this one

What I do remember were the very persistant timeshare salespeople in the lobby that made walking thru very uncomfortable.

I haven't been back since, and from what I read here, I didn't miss much
Old May 22, 07, 4:12 pm

This property was seriously damaged by the 2004-2005 hurricanes and sat empty for a long time. I heard there were big mold problems in the buildings.

$5 million wouldn't even begin to cover the work needed to bring this place up to snuff. I feel sorry for anyone unfortunate/ill-informed enough to stay there.

The Radisson next door is a MUCH nicer property.
Old May 22, 07, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I remember staying there in the ealy 80's with my parents. I quite liked it. IIRC the rooms were in different clusters with different outdoor colours and a separate swimming pool in each block.

Regards

TBS
Old May 29, 07, 3:38 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
A Hyatt of a different era (like the also-former Hyatt San Jose) whose principal value in latter years was the inexpensive mattress runs. I stayed miles from my actual conference hotel not just a few times just for the $60 stays, especially in FFN season.

Ah yes... the mold issue. And I wonder how many children of Gold Passport members were introduced to their first gecko at the Hyatt Orlando?

Search this Thread