Airline Miles instead of Hyatt Points

Old May 17, 07, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Airline Miles instead of Hyatt Points

Apologies if this has been discussed recently but I don't follow this forum and search returned no results.

I need to credit an upcoming Hyatt Regency Vancouver stay to Delta Skymiles instead of HGP for a promotion. I currently have my HGP number in the res. Should I delete my Hyatt number and just tell them to credit to Delta at check in or can I leave it there and ask them to credit to Delta anyway?

Thanks.
Old May 17, 07, 2:36 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Tell them at check-in. Check within a week after and if it credited to your Hyatt account, call CS and tell them a mistake was made and they should be able to reverse it.
Old May 17, 07, 2:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Tell them at check-in. Check within a week after and if it credited to your Hyatt account, call CS and tell them a mistake was made and they should be able to reverse it.
Thanks peteropny.
Old May 17, 07, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Please allow me to offer another side of this story. For many years I've stayed at Hyatt's, but took the airline miles. Obviously I have no status or points with Hyatt. In booking a night at the DFW Grand Hyatt I got stuck with the full rack rate.

Had I banked Hyatt points instead of airline miles, I might be in a different situation now with this booking.... or not.
Old May 17, 07, 10:19 pm

Programs: QF Platinum
Originally Posted by oldpenny16 View Post
Please allow me to offer another side of this story. For many years I've stayed at Hyatt's, but took the airline miles. Obviously I have no status or points with Hyatt. In booking a night at the DFW Grand Hyatt I got stuck with the full rack rate.

Had I banked Hyatt points instead of airline miles, I might be in a different situation now with this booking.... or not.
You get 5 points per dollar with the points.......you can convert to miles later when they've built up at 2.5 points per mile.

I am a QFF and I only get 600 miles per STAY......I will stay at Hyatt regency Islandia and will rack up 6000-7000 on the room over 6 days and the family is coming so dinner etc.

Surely I take the points and convert them later.....am I getting all this wrong?

Cheers
Old May 17, 07, 10:59 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Well the OP was trying to fulfill some special promo that DL is running so it could make sense. I always take Hyatt points myself, since airline miles are relatively easy to come by but Hyatt points are difficult.
Old May 18, 07, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
thank you!

Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Well the OP was trying to fulfill some special promo that DL is running so it could make sense. I always take Hyatt points myself, since airline miles are relatively easy to come by but Hyatt points are difficult.
I've learned my lesson and am changing my ways. I'll take the Hyatt points from now on.
Old May 18, 07, 6:20 pm

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
OP16, just call Hyatt before U stay & ask CS to set your acct. to earn DL miles. After that stay posts with DL miles, just change back to GP points !

If U don't need the points, U can always trade 'em for an = or slightly greater number of miles on tCC!
Old May 19, 07, 2:48 am

Programs: NW 1MM, BD Gold, BA Gold, AA 1MM, LM, VX eleVAte, Hyatt D6, SPG Plat, Hertz President's
HGP Points to Virgin Miles

And if you're converting points, the best conversion rate is to Virgin Atlantic. Transferring 150k points will net you 100k miles (compared with 200k points to 100k miles on most other carriers).

Search this Thread