FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Public Transportation to Jersey City Latenight (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/681109-public-transportation-jersey-city-latenight.html)

jayer Apr 10, 2007 4:08 pm

Public Transportation to Jersey City Latenight

Area residents or perhaps someone who has tried it on vacation, would you take the Metro subway and PATH back to the Jersey City Hyatt after an evening Broadway show? Still full of riders or creepy empty by that time of night? Is there any better public alternative?

My understanding is the PATH terminal is just across the street from the hotel? Is that correct?

Have been in the Grand Hyatt several times since the Stanhope closed, but by now I've burned all my FFN's and points. I'm not used to doing NYC on a hotel budget, and Jersey City is booking for way less than Manhattan comps right now. Always wanted to stay there just for the view anyway, but it never worked out.

I got used to taking the Lexington Avenue express bus or subway back to the Stanhope after curtain. They were always pretty crowded even that time of night, and obviously it was mostly through the high rent district. For Jersey City were talking changing trains and much more distance. Please tell me if I'm being paranoid to ask the question, or you would never recommend it that late.

ashaboe Apr 10, 2007 5:29 pm

I wouldn't think twice about doing this ... I don't think the trains would be too full but it should be OK (and the Exchange Place PATH station is next to the Hyatt).

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 7560051)
Area residents or perhaps someone who has tried it on vacation, would you take the Metro subway and PATH back to the Jersey City Hyatt after an evening Broadway show? Still full of riders or creepy empty by that time of night? Is there any better public alternative?

My understanding is the PATH terminal is just across the street from the hotel? Is that correct?

Have been in the Grand Hyatt several times since the Stanhope closed, but by now I've burned all my FFN's and points. I'm not used to doing NYC on a hotel budget, and Jersey City is booking for way less than Manhattan comps right now. Always wanted to stay there just for the view anyway, but it never worked out.

I got used to taking the Lexington Avenue express bus or subway back to the Stanhope after curtain. They were always pretty crowded even that time of night, and obviously it was mostly through the high rent district. For Jersey City were talking changing trains and much more distance. Please tell me if I'm being paranoid to ask the question, or you would never recommend it that late.

trd Apr 10, 2007 8:12 pm

certainly not a problem. I have done it many times . . . but if it is truly late the trains only run every 30 minutes or so. Never had any safety concerns. The Hyatt is right on top of the station. Timetables can be found www.panynj.gov

lalala Apr 10, 2007 11:01 pm

I did it once and it was fine. There were tons of PATH police on the platforms and the hotel is really right there.

lala

Markie Apr 11, 2007 4:19 am

Thanks for this - I was in two minds about doing the same thing as the OP, now I'll do it for sure!

royster747 Apr 13, 2007 6:01 pm

Mrs. Royster747 and I have done this several times...an 8pm curtain on Broadway...then the Metro to the Path at the WTC. Path Trains are not nearly as frequent as the daytime, but once the train moves from the WTC, 4 minutes and you are at the Exchange Place station...up the escalators, out the door and there is the Hyatt...

We have been staying there for several years on our "Theatre runs"...nice hotel, cheaper than Manhattan...worth the slight inconvenience of the subways...