Summerfield Suites Thread

Old Mar 24, 07, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Summerfield Suites Thread

I searched for a master SS Thread and didn't find one, so here is a start.

SUMMERFIELD SUITES - SCOTTSDALE, AZ

The SS Scottsdale is in Old Town, on the East side of Drinkwater across from the Hyatt Place Scottsdale, and about two blocks north of the Scottsdale Stadium where the San Francisco Giants play their Spring Training Games.

Location: It is in Scottsdale, what more could you ask for? Seriously, it is two blocks north of the Scottsdale Mall (green park, not shopping center), the Scottsdale Modern Arts Center, and the Scottsdale Main Library. One block west of all that is the serious Touristica of Old Town. It is about a six block walk northwest to the Fashion Square Mall and the new Canal developments. Destination dining is all around, shopping is plentiful, spas are everywhere and all within pleasant walking or staggering distance. Scottsdale also runs a trolley service with a stop just up the street at the Culinary Center.

Rooms: Dim and a bit frousty, this is clearly an older SS. Carpets a bit old, big dusty bedspreads, lots of dim drapes, etc. The big bed takes up all of the bedroom area, and the Kitchenette / sitting area are fine but nothing to write home about. Nothing at all like the Danish Modern Hyatt Place right across the street. Old yellow Portico bath stuff.

Amenities: It has a pool that was in heavy use by a lot of pale snowbirds, and it will give your kids a fun morning. A large breakfast area that serves eggs and toast and cereals, etc. is adjacent the front lobby.

Service: The front desk was pleasant and polite, and they were gracious with me despite my checking in and out each morning (got to get those extra-credit stays in before the month ends). The other hotel staff were also polite and friendly.

Points: The first night's stay posted immediately, the subsequent ones are still outstanding four days later. I have read on FT that the SS and GP systems do not interface, so I will wait patiently for another week before hassling them.

Ambience: No one is kidding you about being in a Hyatt, like HP tries to do. The rates were about $18 a night cheaper than the HP, and the staff were willing and able. Since we weren't hanging around in the hotel rooms, it didn't bother me too much, but until they update the heavy wooden furniture and freshen up the rooms a bit, I will stick to the Gainey Ranch and HP locales in Scottsdale. Unless, of course, GP runs another special that makes the difference worth it.
Old Mar 25, 07, 12:54 am

Well I hope all of that checking in and out each day was not just at the Scottsdale SS or it may take longer then you think for those stay credits to post.
Old Mar 26, 07, 10:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat, BA Silver, WN A-, AA LT Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat
Now that it counts towards status. I've been staying at the SS in Waltham, MA once per month for 2-3 nights. It is an internal-hallways property, as opposed to some of the early west coast properties which had the exterior staircase model. It is a little difficult to find, but look for the Westin, drive one block past that entrance, and make a left up the hill.

Last week, I was upgraded to a 2-BR suite, which was in theory a waste since I was alone. But, it led me to realize that for the surcharge over a two-doubles in one BR suite (about $50), this would be an idea set up when on the road with friends. The bedding appears to be reasonably new - it's not as nice as the Sheraton Sweet Sleeper or even the new Hampton Inn beds, but it was better than average.

There was a problem with the internet access, and it was not available one of the nights as Wayport was trying to fix the equipment. Breakfast and evening snacks were good enough, although they had managed to burn about 5# of bacon one of the mornings. The staff is very friendly.

The biggest problem with the hotel is the area it is in - there is a lack of restaurants, minimarts, etc. near the hotel. I am very familiar with the area, and drive over to downtown Arlington (95 N to 2 E to 60 W) where there are a number of non-chain choices. There are also choices in downtown Waltham, but that is actually harder to reach so I never bother going that way.

I've been paying $125/weeknight with a AAA rate. At that price point, I think it is a reasonable property for the area. It is definitely a better property than the Hilton Garden Inn a few blocks away, which is a rework of the old and very poor Four Points.
Old Mar 26, 07, 2:17 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
I've stayed at the Waltham, MA property twice since the Double Stay program began. Both times, I received an upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite. When I checked in last week, the guy checking in next to me also got the same upgrade - makes you wonder how many 2-bedroom suites they have!

I was impressed with the afternoon snacks on offer - about 4-5 different things, including two soups.

I agree on the location. There is a decent (slightly overpriced) Cuban-inspired seafood chain pretty much across the street. It's called Naked Fish and is pretty good.
Old Mar 26, 07, 8:42 pm

Summerfield Suites Check-in Time Is 4:00 Pm

Be aware the the check-in time at SS is 4:00 pm. There may be regional difference, but I suspect that is is a chain-wide prectice,
Old Mar 26, 07, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Bondiboy View Post
Be aware the the check-in time at SS is 4:00 pm. There may be regional difference, but I suspect that is is a chain-wide prectice,
SS Pleasanton has a 2PM check-in. I don't recall the one for Pleasant Hill as I checked in very late.
Old Apr 28, 07, 5:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Plat, Starwood, Hyatt Diamond, PC Amb Plat, AA, Delta Gold
There are not any SS in my area but I needed a overnight spot since I was flying out of Charlotte. I only did it for a promo. I doubt I would every chose to stay there again. The beds left alot to be desired. The staff was very nice and the location was pretty goo.
Old Apr 29, 07, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Couple of weeks back I decided to try SS El Segundo for a Friday night to get the bonus points.

It was around 11:30PM when I arrived and drive around the property. I am not big fan of motels that have outside corridors as this one. I had to use the doorbell to get inside the lobby.

When checking in I was requested to sign a NO PARTY WAIVER. I refused and the guy called his manager who was off duty. By that time I saw some other guests at this location with whom I felt incompatible with and just asked the guy to cancel the reservation. Then I was on my way to the nearby HGI.

No more SS's for me.
Old Oct 23, 07, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist (Barely); Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Pretty Much I'd Amen This Comment

Originally Posted by nub2travel View Post
There are not any SS in my area but I needed a overnight spot since I was flying out of Charlotte. I only did it for a promo. I doubt I would every chose to stay there again. The beds left alot to be desired. The staff was very nice and the location was pretty goo.
Large property for a SS and from elevator certificate was about 20 years old, so I assume built as something else. Its OK, maybe a C+. Unless you need an extended stay in that area or one night passing through, there are probably better choices for a romantic weekend hotel. Still, breakfast was good and it was a true suite property.

What seemed to be a long, slow refresh was underway, including new carpet. (Newish bedspread, so it has to be older than the current standard-issue duvet). Just parts of the place still looked 20 years old.

Last edited by jayer; Oct 23, 07 at 7:31 pm
Old Oct 23, 07, 7:34 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

A request going forward - If you are going to write a "review" of a particular Summerfield Suites property, PLEASE start a new thread so that I can create a link to that property in the "Property Index & Review Thread". I've copied over the posts above that "review" Scottsdale & Waltham properties to new threads.

If general comments on Summerfield, this thread is appropriate.

Thanks for your help!!!

peteropny - co-moderator - Hyatt

Search this Thread
Search Engine: