Hyatt Place ---FIASCO

Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW-Silver, US, UL, IA, DL, Marriott & *wood-Gold, HH-Diamond, PC- Plat. Hyatt Diamond
Thumbs down Hyatt Place ---FIASCO

So with the double credit I thought I would try the new Hyatt Place. Logged in to GP searched reservations found the Sterling hotel and tried to book it. Web site was acting weird last night but the rez page wanted me to enter all of my information (versus self populating from GP). I thought that was odd so I called instead. Well our Diamond rez center can't book Hyatt Place, TRANSFER.

Very nice agent answered told him what I want, and then he asks if I have stayed before. Responded no, but that I am Diamond. He was clueless on GP and proceeded to give me the sales pitch for Hyatt Place. There is no need to "sell me" I am calling to book. UGHH. So he then proceeds to ask me all of my information. I respond that's why I gave you my GP # take it from my profile. Well it seems GP doesn't communicate at all with reservations for Hyatt Place. The agent must enter all information and preferences don't transfer over. This is why the online does not populate.

After logging in today and clicking on future reservations this reservation does not appear. I had asked for an email confirmation, to date not received. I have now spent half an hour and three calls trying to get my confirmation. I don't know about all of you, but my 120+ days on the road will be spent in hotels that make my life easier and allow me to make travel arrangements on my terms.

Seems Hyatt may have rolled this one out too quickly because in my case, I have not even checked in yet and my impression is very negative.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 1:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Yep - Fiasco is the first word I'd have thought of for this story
Old Mar 7, 2007, 2:12 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
That is the way it works now. Can't book on hyatt.com. When trying to book on the brand website you have to re-enter all your information. The reservations do not show up on your GP reservations, but the hotel has them.

Trying to cancel them can be a pain. I asked the hotel directly. They said it was done, but then found out that it was never cencelled.

But I do like my 2X stays -- even if the wake-up call doesn't come in either.

PS - it takes about a week for stays to post; don't worry.

Last edited by SMF Rider; Mar 7, 2007 at 2:24 pm
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by SMF Rider
That is the way it works now. Can't book on hyatt.com. When trying to book on the brand website you have to re-enter all your information. The reservations do not show up on your GP reservations, but the hotel has them.

Trying to cancel them can be a pain. I asked the hotel directly. They said it was done, but then found out that it was never cencelled.

But I do like my 2X stays -- even if the wake-up call doesn't come in either.

PS - it takes about a week for stays to post; don't worry.

You can setup a profile on the A/S website and you don't have to enter your info every time. You can also cancel your reservations on the A/S site. If you use the A/S site you should get an e-mail with the reservation or cancellation number.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Yeah, so, the systems aren't integrated yet. Minor inconvenience. I have stayed at Hyatt Place and Summerfield Suites a couple of times, and find the double stay credit (and low rates -- e.g., the oft-mentioned-on-this-forum $69 or $59 on weekends for Sterling) worth the minor hassle. Remember -- Hyatt Place is in its infancy!
Old Mar 7, 2007, 4:42 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
When talking to Hyatt central res. about HY Places that are open, and finding very few, and no Summerfield Suites around the area I wanted to book, I wished aloud that the x2 promo would extend to later in the year when more HY Places would be on-line. The agent said that she wouldn't be surprised if this x2 promo is repeated from time-to-time as is FFN.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Dia, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by mecabq
Remember -- Hyatt Place is in its infancy!
This is the key for me. I'm willing to put up with some technical difficulties with HP properties so that I can be in the position of renewing Diamond this year.

And the HP properties are better than I expected. Excellent bed, huge TV, decent free wifi, breakfast with very good eggs and sausage. It looks like a Marriott Residence Inn/Courtyard killer. The only problem that I see is the weeknight rates are way too high ($143? Come on!). Thankfully the weekend rates are very low.
Old Mar 7, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
While I wouldn't call it a FIASCO, I must admit I share similar feelings to the OP's. The Hyatt/Hyatt Place websites were hickuping on me earlier this week, so I ended up calling for a reservation. At one point, I actually looked at my cell phone to see how long I've been on the phone to make one reservation - it was 8 minutes and counting!
They ask TOO MUCH info. Home address, phone #, etc. At the end, they wouldn't even take my GP # (Oh, just give that when you check in...)
I wasn't impressed. Looking forward to my first HP stay though (Sterling).
Old Mar 9, 2007, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I did three nights at the Hyatt Place Opryland last week. The ground floor is completely under renovation and useless, but the finished rooms were very nice so that's good enough for me. I've also moved two stays from Starwood properties to Summerfield properties, and Hyatt has taken over my #2 hotel spot from Starwood. The Hyatt Place/Summerfield res system is a pain, but I can deal with it.

But I'm getting annoyed at the inability for ANY Hyatt stay to post properly. Six this year, none have posted correctly except for my FFN award stay which had no points!

A renovated Hyatt Place blows the doors off of a typical Four Points. I think it's just a notch below a newer Hampton because of the difference in beds, and a notch above the standard 3-story rural Interstate Hamptons.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW-Silver, US, UL, IA, DL, Marriott & *wood-Gold, HH-Diamond, PC- Plat. Hyatt Diamond
and now the rest of the story

So last night was my first night in a Hyatt Place. The trials of trying to book it started this thread. I was a guest at the Sterling, VA location.

Things that I liked:

TV (minus the five second delay between channels)
Decor
Seating area in the room (think oversized sectional)
The pens & room keys
Colors of lobby
The alcoves and private areas all around the living room (lobby).
Fitness Room

Things that I disliked:
Construction still ongoing in the lobby
Monitors imbedded into the counter at the front desk or "living room" anyone standing around can see them including me, staring at the screens.
Lack of recognition as Diamond and no record of GP #
Lack of public printer or remote print technology.
The painted cardboard covering a hole on the side of TV build out
Elevators dingy with graffiti
No lotion

Comments on Breakfast:
Like the pantry concept (24hr food & drink of some sort) and played with the touch screen order system. Anyone familiar with Wa-Wa knows exactly what I am talking about. All food & drinks are divided into categories but as you page through if you change your mind the only back to main menu is through cancel. There is no page back.

Nice real ceramic place ware, nice mugs (Starbucks coffee!) nice cereal bowels but the plates are huge. Selections are slim and no peanut butter even upon request. Plates are way too big and heavy.

Of course I took the time to share my feedback with the staff all of whom where friendly. Overall it was OK. Rate was $59, which for that rate this hotel, is an exceptional value. I won't go out of my way to stay at HP but won't steer clear either.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 9:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, WN A-List Pref, MR LT Plat, SPG LT Gold
I stayed at the Hyatt Place in Lombard, IL last week, and really liked it. The facility renovations were complete, the 42" plasma was connected to a full HD signal, and the whole experience was just as advertised.

Different story this week in San Antonio (Northeast)...LOTS of construction still going on, both in the lobby as well as the first-floor rooms. They can't even sell you a bottle of water here yet, and going out to get one isn't quick & easy, due to the hotel's location on a one-way access road that parallels I-10. The room layout is identical, however, and I'm finding I really like having such a big TV. (Unfortunately, no HD signal here...just regular lo-def cable.)

In short, I like the Hyatt Place concept, although the suite situation reminds me why I never stay at Embassys anymore while on business (too many noisy families). But it makes sense to be wary for a while as the hotels are being converted.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:13 am

i stayed in the sterling a week ago for $47. the only problem i've had is my g1 bonus didn't credit. i checked out at the hyatt machines in the lobby and found as a result the rest of my points credited within 2 days
Old Mar 13, 2007, 4:28 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Originally Posted by MrAOK
i stayed in the sterling a week ago for $47. the only problem i've had is my g1 bonus didn't credit. i checked out at the hyatt machines in the lobby and found as a result the rest of my points credited within 2 days

Just checked out of the HP Sterling this morning. How did you get a $47 rate? The cheapest rate the desk agent quoted me was $55 for a weekend AAA price. I would be very interested to book a $47 rate instead!
Old Mar 13, 2007, 10:08 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
There were a few weeks at the $47 rate, now it's only available at the "Best Available" on the weekends for $69 as they don't seem to offer anything lower than that anymore... I'll do two more stays and that will get me to 20 stays for the year... I'll round out the rest over the next 9 months when Dulles or Fair lakes has the G2's going...

Originally Posted by bostonbali
Just checked out of the HP Sterling this morning. How did you get a $47 rate? The cheapest rate the desk agent quoted me was $55 for a weekend AAA price. I would be very interested to book a $47 rate instead!
Old Mar 14, 2007, 3:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I also had an issue with getting the G1 to post from my 3/2 Sterling stay. I did call and they posted it quickly but there appears to be a problem with this bonus posting. Original stay credit at the 47 dollar rate posted (as double) though. That 47 dollar rate was great and tough to beat. I've hit my 25 stays for the year with this stay so I'm good for the year. Unless FFN's come back of course

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.