Homewood Beats Summerfield

Old Feb 28, 07, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, UA*G, HH Dia, MR Platinum, IHG Amb/Plat, Hyatt Exp
Homewood Beats Summerfield

Staying at my second Summerfield property in El Segundo, CA. I did Scottsdale AZ a year ago.

At least during the current Hyatt "count double" promo, $129 is the best rate I can get here. Many (Hilton Family) Homewoods are less, at least at government rate. The two brands aim at the same longer stay market, with kitchenettes, grocery shopping service, Mon-Thur evening manager's reception etc.

Summerfields tend to be older, with worn desk edges, bare-bones sofas and lamps, cramped bedrooms etc. Homewoods are definitely more appealing, with a new standard design, mostly interior corridor hotels with upper floors accessed by elevator (Summerfields are walk-up exterior stairs even with 3 stories). Also Homewoods have nice contemporary furniture. Some Homewoods have fake but realistic flowers in water on the coffee table, fireplaces equipped with log, wafflemakers at breakfast at most if not all properties, plus breakfast meat and french toast, etc. In the evening, Homewoods may have fruit.

Summerfield just seems funky beside Homewood, which was designed by Hilton from the ground up. But not as funky as Amerisuites, some of which can be downright creepy.

After the promo is over, it's Homewood for me in this market.
Old Mar 8, 07, 10:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Summerfield Suites, El Segundo

I agree. I just completed my first stay at the Summerfield Suites in
El Segundo at $129 per night. The room had an aging desk, a very cheap looking fiberglass lining on the tub/shower, and a couch that was somewhat worn down. The front desk was not aware of the 500 point Hyatt Diamond Amenity Bonus. When you compare this hotel to the Hilton's Homwood Suties....Homewood wins out.
Old Mar 8, 07, 11:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/AA-Plat/HY-Globalist/BA-CCR/GGL/Gold for Life
The 500 point amenity is credited without invervention by the property.
Old Mar 9, 07, 1:09 am
sil

Programs: hyatt gold passport platinum
summerfield pleasant Hill

I stayed in Pleasant Hill, Belmont and Plesanton Summerfield to catch up to my diamond status and I think between three of those I recommend Pleasant Hill one.
Pleasant Hill property is new, so everything is still clean and nice.
This one more luxury than other two.
There is movie theater and a lot of restaurants within walking distant, so it is very easy to get dinner at night.
I really please to stay there.
Old Mar 13, 07, 7:13 pm

Stayed at Pleasanton and Belmont recently.

Pleasanton asked me to sign 5 or 6 different documents during check in - what's up with that? One of those was some sort of promise not to throw a party in my unit - huh? Belmont was a bit better but the same separate "keep it quiet" document to sign. Awful beds in both hotels - I hope Hyatt has plans to replace them.

I'll try to stay away from Summerfields for now - this brand is very far from being up to Hyatt's standards (and it is certainly weaker than Homewood suites).
Old Mar 18, 07, 1:49 am

Programs: WN CP, DL PLT, Hyatt DD, PC PLT, GC PLT, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Stayed at Pleasanton and Belmont recently.

Pleasanton asked me to sign 5 or 6 different documents during check in - what's up with that? One of those was some sort of promise not to throw a party in my unit - huh? Belmont was a bit better but the same separate "keep it quiet" document to sign. Awful beds in both hotels - I hope Hyatt has plans to replace them.

I'll try to stay away from Summerfields for now - this brand is very far from being up to Hyatt's standards (and it is certainly weaker than Homewood suites).
I couldn't agree with you guys more on the three N Cal Summerfield Suites locations. Because of my business travel plan, I actually got to use these three places without going out of my way and I am seriously disappointed. Diamond status means NOTHING, I got stuck in a room facing the parking lot, acrossed the hall from the gym and next to the laundry room. The noise level is unbearable. Most of the advertised Hyatt "touches" are not even in these locations. Hyatt dropped the ball on this brand conversion thing. They should of gotten them all ready before annoucing it. I will NOT be going to these places again, at least not for a LONG time. I think I will stick with real Hyatts or other well-known mid-level chains' "suite" brands. Hyatt's adversting compaign really back fired for me, at least in N Cal.
Old Oct 12, 08, 7:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Question Shuttle Bus

Does anyone know if there is a shuttle from this property to LAX, there is no information on the hotel's web site? I am sure I have seen a white mini van there on previous stays

Search this Thread