Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt on the Bund, Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt on the Bund, Shanghai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Regarding smoking

Sounds like you hate or strongly dislike cig smoke - me too.

When I go to China or Japan, it's not enough to ask for a non-smoking room. I ask to speak to the Front Office manager and interview him about where the non-smoking rooms are. It does no good to have a room if you're room is next to a smoking room, or directly above/below one. It's like two people sitting at the same table, and them saying "that chair is non-smoking, but this one is smoking" (like the way airlines used to be).
Old May 3, 2012, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I don't have a big problem with smoking. I just don't want to smell it, or have it blown in my face. If I sit in a non-smoking section, I shouldn't smell smoke. Ditto for a NS room.

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Sounds like you hate or strongly dislike cig smoke - me too.

When I go to China or Japan, it's not enough to ask for a non-smoking room. I ask to speak to the Front Office manager and interview him about where the non-smoking rooms are. It does no good to have a room if you're room is next to a smoking room, or directly above/below one. It's like two people sitting at the same table, and them saying "that chair is non-smoking, but this one is smoking" (like the way airlines used to be).
Old May 3, 2012, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I don't have a big problem with smoking. I just don't want to smell it, or have it blown in my face. If I sit in a non-smoking section, I shouldn't smell smoke. Ditto for a NS room.
I'm just like you. And I have many friends who say I have a problem with cig smoke. I do, my problem is I don't like, don't want it blown on me, don't want to smell it, don't want to breathe it, and I expect hotels to create an environment where none of that will happen. This last part is a challenge in China and Japan, but can be done if I as the guest take some extra steps.
Old May 15, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hyatt Explorist, SPG gold
Hi there...
first time going to Shanghai and debating where to stay for the first day of my trip. I will have time to explore the town. I have my main stay at the PH on day 2&3, and want to try out some of the other Hyatts in town. Currently thinking of HOTB, due to the views. Or Andaz. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a cab ride from PVG to either location at night (hopefully no traffic)? Thanks in advance!!
Old May 15, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by coterie
Hi there...
first time going to Shanghai and debating where to stay for the first day of my trip. I will have time to explore the town. I have my main stay at the PH on day 2&3, and want to try out some of the other Hyatts in town. Currently thinking of HOTB, due to the views. Or Andaz. Does anyone know how much it would cost for a cab ride from PVG to either location at night (hopefully no traffic)? Thanks in advance!!
Taxis in china in general isn't that expensive. I doubt it would be more than 25-30 USD for a 15 mile trip from PVG.

I personally would suggest that you stay at the PHS all 3 nights because moving is a chore, especially for a 3 night/day stay.

But if you want a real change the Andaz would be a better because it is in Xintiandi, which is a slightly different part of town, where as the HOTB, GHS, and PHS within the vicinity of the Bund.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:51 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
On a recent trip to Shanghai, a taxi from the Hyatt on the Bund to PVG in the late morning with no traffic was about RMB 180 (about $30).

If you're thinking of moving over to the Puxi side of the river for a few nights, I would probably recommend the new Andaz because of the location. I do like the Bund property, and they have always put me in a room with a nice view, but if you stay there you basically have to take a taxi everywhere as the only thing within walking distance is the Bund itself, and the closest subway station is a good 10-15 minute walk away. There's much more within walking distance of the Andaz, and a lot of dining options around Xintiandi. That being said, I believe the rates are cheaper at the Bund property compared to the Andaz.
Old May 15, 2012, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by coterie
Hi there...
If you want to save on taxi, and want to experience the mag-lev high speed rail (over 250 km/hr if I remember correctly), then from PVG take the train to it's Shanghai terminal (it's not a train system, there's only one combination of origin/arrival) and from there take the taxi.
Old May 15, 2012, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by canyonleo
If you want to save on taxi, and want to experience the mag-lev high speed rail (over 250 km/hr if I remember correctly), then from PVG take the train to it's Shanghai terminal (it's not a train system, there's only one combination of origin/arrival) and from there take the taxi.
During peak hours, the Maglev tops out at around 430 kph (which is quite fast), but off peak is ~300 kph, which is no faster than HSR. Both PVG and Longyang Road are technically in Shanghai, but neither is all that close to where most people want to go. As such, the straight taxi option is generally preferable from a time savings standpoint, and isn't all that expensive (less than $25).

That having been said, the Maglev is certainly worth experiencing once (preferably at top speed) while it lasts.
Old May 27, 2012, 7:43 am

A friend/client of mine stayed there this weekend, and I got a chance to get a feel for the property.

Good points:
-awesome concierge
-gym/pool only topped by the Portman and the RC Pudong
-the rooftop bar (can I say "wow"?)
-the rooms are as nice as you would expect them to be

Bad point:
-the location simply blows
*the Pudong Shangri-La is only ~800 meters away, as the crow flies, but is 6 km away by taxi
*in spite of the fact that I don't care for the Bund scene (i.e. wouldn't be a selling point for me), it really isn't on the Bund that most people think of
*back in the 90s, I used to pay Y50 per night to stay in almost the exact same location (Shanghai was expensive back then, too)
*unlike the other Hyatts, it is on the proper side of the river, but just barely
Old May 28, 2012, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by moondog
A friend/client of mine stayed there this weekend, and I got a chance to get a feel for the property.

Good points:
-awesome concierge
-gym/pool only topped by the Portman and the RC Pudong
-the rooftop bar (can I say "wow"?)barely
Moondog , I assume you mean HOTBs pool .... And both the RCs pool are your Top 3 as it were .... Where would you place park hyatt SH s pool and Puli s pool ??
Old May 28, 2012, 11:40 am

Originally Posted by bearbrick
Moondog , I assume you mean HOTBs pool .... And both the RCs pool are your Top 3 as it were .... Where would you place park hyatt SH s pool and Puli s pool ??
Until proven otherwise, the Portman's pool will always be #1 because the lawn area is simply sublime; as slick as the RC Pudong is, its pool doesn't compare.

I haven't had a chance to check out the Puli yet, though I've heard great things.

The Park Hyatt is good, but not in same league as its peers. (I'm focused mainly on swimming this post.)
Old May 29, 2012, 10:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Stayed at HOTB three times last month, here are my positives and negatives.

Positives:
- got upgraded to a corner room twice with the full bund view
- the club lounge was spacious, spread was good, staff very helpful
- the gym and pool were quite good and not very busy

Negatives:
- even though the room was supposed to be non-smoking, you could still smell smoke (not sure if the smell is creeping through the air cond or from previous guests smoking in the non-smoking room)
- only got the diamond amenity one time out of the three stays, the other two times had to call downstairs and asked them to deliver it. C'mon, diamond amenities should be automatic, you should not have to remind them or ask for it!
- the location is not ideal, there is nothing nearby. You have to walk about 15 minutes to get out to the Bund area (which was insanely crowded with local tour groups)
- rate not cheap cheap
Old May 30, 2012, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by lululee
Stayed at HOTB three times last month, here are my positives and negatives.

Negatives:
- even though the room was supposed to be non-smoking, you could still smell smoke (not sure if the smell is creeping through the air cond or from previous guests smoking in the non-smoking room)
In much of Asia (and China for sure) I've found it's not enough to ask for a nonsmoking room. One must make sure the adjacent rooms (up and down the hall, floors above and below) are nonsmoking. Otherwise it's like sitting in a restaurant (or plane) and having a smoking table one meter from a nonsmoking table - what good is that?
Old Jul 31, 2012, 8:06 am

Hi, first post. My wife and I will be staying at HOTB in October. I used a suite upgrade to reserve a suite, however I noticed that it's only for the city-view suites. All the pictures that I've seen of the suites have been river view so does anyone have any comments on the city-view suites? Are the views not as nice? Is there a way that I can request and receive a river-view suite? Should I call the hotel directly, and make up a story?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jlin17
Hi, first post. My wife and I will be staying at HOTB in October. I used a suite upgrade to reserve a suite, however I noticed that it's only for the city-view suites. All the pictures that I've seen of the suites have been river view so does anyone have any comments on the city-view suites? Are the views not as nice? Is there a way that I can request and receive a river-view suite? Should I call the hotel directly, and make up a story?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
I'd certainly contact the hotel. I didn't even request it, and got it when I stayed a few months back.

I loved the breakfast in the restaurant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.