FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Sarasota REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/658347-hyatt-sarasota-review-master-thread.html)

GeorgeK Feb 9, 2007 8:21 am

Hyatt Sarasota REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Has anyone stayed at the Hyatt Sarasota recently?

(I see much older threads but nothing recent).

Secondly, since they don't have an RC will I receive breakfast coupons instead as I am a Diamond member?

bsdstone Feb 9, 2007 8:55 am

George,
I stayed there about 1.5 years ago. The hotel is average at best...kind of like an older hyatt business hotel with a pool and marina behind it. Unless they've updated it recently (which I doubt, b/c I heard it was being sold for condo development), don't expect anything special...just a normal older hyatt...clean, with mediocre service.
I received two breakfast vouchers, but did not use them, so I can't help you there...sorry.
If this is a revenue stay, I'd look at the Ritz across the Marina...it's a nice typical ritz, but their beach club is HEAVEN ON EARTH!

RMC500 Feb 13, 2007 6:50 pm

I had a one-night stay here about 3 or 4 months ago. As a Diamond, you will receive breakfast coupons. I found the hotel to be in the same condition as it was on my last visit 2 or 3 years ago - an older (circa 1974) property that should rate no more than 3 stars at most. It could stand a renovation one of these years if it isn't converted into condos. IMO, the best rooms are on the top floor (10th) facing south (towards the Ritz-Carlton). Pluses are a nice swimming pool area (which I don't use), free parking, a location convenient to the downtown business area, a helpful, friendly staff, and credit for stays with Hyatt. It is true that the Ritz-Carlton (about 1/2 mile south of Hyatt) is much much nicer, but as a rule its rates are far more expensive, except during the dead months in August and September when its rates sometimes go below $100 per night.

CO_Bulkhead Apr 30, 2007 5:52 pm

I am at this Hyatt right now, May 2007, and I must say it is not that great. Very old hotel, mediocre service and run-down facilities. I was at the Ritz last week and there is absolutely no comparisson except that the Ritz rates were nearly double.

The pool is nice with a large waterfall, but the rooms are small and the bathrooms really petite.

My rate included breakfast coupons and the breakfast was really nice.

Dinner options are only the Boathouse restaurant which is fine for one night, but boring after that.

They do have free self-parking which is nice and T-mobile internet.

cricketdog Jun 6, 2008 4:21 pm

I just stayed at this hotel last week and have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. They have completely updated the hotel and it now has an art deco meets tropical kind of vibe.

I'm guessing the rooms are still the same size as before, i.e., not huge, but they are quite comfortable and I believe each one has a balcony overlooking either the Gulf or a small marina behind the hotel. While sitting on my balcony one evening, a manatee swam into the marina and hung out for about 20 minutes. It was really fun to watch.

The staff was also quite friendly and helpful.

All and all, it was quite a pleasant stay.

banzani Apr 21, 2010 2:42 pm

we used an upgrade certificate last summer and were upgraded to a beautiful bi-level suite on the top floor. Everything is pretty new and clean, and the design is tropical-modern.

BF vouchers were handed out though the selection was probably average at best. Pool area is relatively small, but not an issue with plenty of nice beaches around. Location is fine, short drive to the beaches and downtown.

We are looking at returning this year, but for some reason rates in October are going through the roof...

BAGoldBoy Dec 30, 2010 7:16 am

This property certainly looks a lot better than it did before the refurbishment but the rooms are still pretty small and there's not much on site apart from a small pool. At least there is free parking which is a plus.

Breakfast was OK but service was slow and the hot food was pretty awful as it had congealed - yuk!

I have posted a few photos in the Hyatt Lovers group on Flickr

hobo13 Mar 9, 2012 10:42 pm

I assume this is the primary thread for the HR Sarasota?

Any updates on this property? I might be staying there for a couple nights in April.

peteropny Mar 10, 2012 9:43 am

Originally Posted by hobo13 (Post 18171333)
I assume this is the primary thread for the HR Sarasota?

Any updates on this property? I might be staying there for a couple nights in April.

Yes it is - thank you for posting in the right thread - hopefully someone can provide an update.

jlisi984 Mar 11, 2012 1:40 pm

I was in the lobby (didn't stay) a year ago in March, and it looked and felt very nice. The pool was also very nice, with a fountain.
Hope this helps a little. ;)

bcatlin Mar 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Stayed at the HR Sarasota for a week last Christmas. Upgraded to a bi-level suite on the top floor (Diamond confirmed). Great complimentary breakfast and happy hour specials.

TravelOnMyMind Jul 22, 2012 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by bcatlin (Post 18180661)
Stayed at the HR Sarasota for a week last Christmas. Upgraded to a bi-level suite on the top floor (Diamond confirmed). Great complimentary breakfast and happy hour specials.

Hi I saw that you stayed in the bi level suite. How was it
did it have a kitchenette would you consider it a good use of a suite upgrade, and do you know if this is a standered diamond upgrade or did you get the feeling that it was a special upgrade and that they do not usually upgrade to that suite? Thanx sorry for all the questions

bcatlin Jul 24, 2012 8:57 am

Standard diamond upgrade is to an executive suite - also nice. Th bi-level is great but doesn't offer a kitchenette. You've got a small fridge and espresso machine, though.

billycwhatup May 26, 2013 8:07 am

Hi - I'm a Hyatt newbie (Marriott platinum prospective convert) staying at this property in a few weeks. Does anyone know if any of the suites have a connecting room? I'm currently booked in two rooms but have a Diamond status match coming and would love to have a suite with my wife while having my two kids in an adjoining room. Thanks.

billycwhatup Jul 7, 2013 12:44 pm

I can't comment on the condition of the hotel before the renovation, but I will say that I was very pleasantly surprised with a recent six night stay.

As a Marriott Platinum, I'm "testing the Hyatt waters" with the Diamond challenge. Part of my perception is definitely colored through that prism, but a few thoughts:

1. Check-in was a little disappointing. Arrived at noon hoping to get a room - was told that it would be 3pm. Fair enough - that was check-in time and they seemed to be rather full.

2. A rather large production was made about the effort being expended to get two adjoining rooms even though it had been confirmed. Reading the many posts of Diamonds getting suites, I had hoped that we might get a suite with an adjoining room (thus my previous post). In any case, we ended up with two standard-fare rooms.

3. As underwhelmed as I was by the intangibles, it really was a great stay. Service was surprisingly good. Housekeeping came with random stuffed animals for my kids. The wait staff in the restaurant were personal and outstanding during breakfast. By day two of six, I didn't even have to ask for my high-maintenance egg while omelet.

4. The pool and gym were both excellent. For me, my big "wants" in a gym are good cardio (check), TV on the cardio (check) and good wifi in case I want to stream something off my ipad while I run (check). The pool had plenty of chairs, plenty of towels, decent bar service.

5. The self-parking was plentiful and literally a one minute walk to the rear entrance of the hotel. I'm all for splurging on all sorts of things, but spending $18 for valet at this property seems goofy.

All in all, while I don't think this will be renamed the "Park Hyatt Sarasota" any time soon, it was absolutely more than adequate for an early summer family visit and I would stay again without thinking twice.

Ancien Maestro Sep 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Flying to TPA and considering this hotel. Currently all reservations are at Clear Water, but I'm thinking of landing in Tampa and getting to a destination such as Sarasota, but not sure if its conveniently near TPA to do the trek right off the bat.

Is the lounge at Sarasota always open? What sort of food can we expect lately?

What is there for kids to do?

Is it advisable to visit this property during Christmas break? Are point upgrades easily attainable?

FD1971 Sep 16, 2013 3:05 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 21450630)
Is the lounge at Sarasota always open?
Is it advisable to visit this property during Christmas break? Are point upgrades easily attainable?

No lounge at the Hyatt (Regency) Sarasota, it used to be the Hyatt Sarasota.

All the properties on the coasts in Florida will be very very full during the X-Mas season, the Grand Tampa might be one exception. I would not count on automatic upgrades etc.

Your strategy for Clearwater was brilliant, booking some months in advance and calling the property to see what they can offer you. I recommend the same for all the other hotels.

Sarasota is an old-school property, recently renovated, but still stuck in the original set-up, so the pool area is relatively small and overcrowded, when the hotel is at capacity.

The suites are very nice, spacious, two floors, beautiful views.

billycwhatup Sep 16, 2013 3:36 am

I think the pool - while possibly overcrowded during holidays - was pretty good. Nice shallow entry for kids and a nice waterfall on the other side. This will not rival the pool of great resorts but it's much better than an average urban hotel.

Sarasota is great with kids. The hotel is across the street from the GWiz science museum (good for a few hours), a few minutes from the Mote Aquarium, St. Armand's Circle (lots of shops, restaurants, ice cream joints, etc...) and the Ringling. Hotel is also a walk (or very short drive) to the better-than-you'd-think restaurant scene of downtown SRQ.

Ancien Maestro Sep 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by FD1971 (Post 21451584)
No lounge at the Hyatt (Regency) Sarasota, it used to be the Hyatt Sarasota.

All the properties on the coasts in Florida will be very very full during the X-Mas season, the Grand Tampa might be one exception. I would not count on automatic upgrades etc.

Your strategy for Clearwater was brilliant, booking some months in advance and calling the property to see what they can offer you. I recommend the same for all the other hotels.

Sarasota is an old-school property, recently renovated, but still stuck in the original set-up, so the pool area is relatively small and overcrowded, when the hotel is at capacity.

The suites are very nice, spacious, two floors, beautiful views.

Alas, I ended up cancelling Sarasota. I actually got a reservation at the Cypress in their exec accomodations, December 22 to January 5.. Orlando during this time period through Christmas and New Years was too good to pass up. Plus I got extremely lucky last night as there was no availability and as the evening rolled along January 2 to 5 opened up.. and then December 26 to 31 opened up.

The hotels I kept for our vacations all have lounges.. With a 7 year old and 3 year old, its important to have a lounge. Thanks for the comments, it really helped me to decide as it was a very hard decision to make.

I was also told by the Diamond Line that Sarasota is more of a business type hotel. If they had a lounge, it would have helped. But definitely, I want to try this hotel out in the future.

Jay00848 Feb 13, 2014 1:55 pm

Does anyone have some recent pictures of the bi-level suites? looking at staying there for Memorial day.

birdman0494 Jan 2, 2015 9:11 pm

Nice property with good service, The complimentary breakfast for diamonds is one of the better ones. They also have free little paddle boats by the dock that you can take advantage of. my only negative is that ive stayed here about 3 times and theyre quite stingy with upgrades, IIRC they would not let me use a DSU for the bilevel suite.
Regency Jacksonville treats diamonds better.

ucacm Apr 4, 2015 7:26 am

Just finished a three night stay here using points. I got a room on the 9th floor w/balcony facing the water and loved it! I thought the pool was great for laying around and getting some sun. I'm more of a lay around and occasionally dip your toes in the pool type of guy, so the pool area was everything I wanted. Didn't try any food and brought my own beer, so I can't comment on the quality of the food, but the place definitely exceeded my expectations.

The rooms were clean, well appointed, and a decent size for a standard room. The staff was courteous and seemed to go out of their way to be helpful.

I took advantage of the free shuttle to St. Armand's, which was a nice touch. All in all. I thought this was a great hotel, and a value for the points a night requires. I would go back in a second.

AttorneyVin Apr 7, 2015 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Jay00848 (Post 22343587)
Does anyone have some recent pictures of the bi-level suites? looking at staying there for Memorial day.

Take a look at my TripAdvisor Review - numerous photos attached. I stayed in a Bi-Level Suite last Christmas, and I have it booked again for this year. AMAZING room!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...a_Florida.html

m0hamed Jun 21, 2015 1:39 am

Does anyone know if this property allows Diamond breakfast via room service?

m0hamed Aug 30, 2016 10:15 pm

<bump>

Any recent reviews?

AttorneyVin Aug 31, 2016 6:45 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 25003185)
Does anyone know if this property allows Diamond breakfast via room service?

No, they do not. But, the buffet is excellent and has a few rotating specialty items on a daily schedule.

m0hamed Aug 31, 2016 6:54 am

Thanks. Saw your TA reviews. Booked the Exec Suite. Considered the Bi Level but one of the family member snores so a solid door is required for soundproofing!

Had to book the Ritz Carlton for the first two days as the HR is sold out. Not paying RACK for a base room.

travelexpert Feb 22, 2017 1:59 am

Seems like the last room renovations were about a decade ago.

Are the rooms in need of refurbishment?

Would like to visit Sarasota early 2018, but one of my biggest room peeves is "dated furniture".

m0hamed Feb 22, 2017 2:04 am

Originally Posted by travelexpert (Post 27941975)
Seems like the last room renovations were about a decade ago.

Are the rooms in need of refurbishment?

Would like to visit Sarasota early 2018, but one of my biggest room peeves is "dated furniture".

Stay at the Ritz Carlton. The suites are gorgeous and a great club lounge.

We were going to split our stay between the two but didn't want to leave the RC.

travelexpert Feb 23, 2017 12:07 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed (Post 27941988)
Stay at the Ritz Carlton. The suites are gorgeous and a great club lounge.

We were going to split our stay between the two but didn't want to leave the RC.

Just checked out the rates at the RC.

Three nights next Feb for a limited view (cheapest) room is $700 including tax.

At the Hyatt I can have a suite for half the price (or much less if I use C&P with DSU).

This past Presdient's Day long weekend, had a suite at the Hyatt in Austin for just over $100 per night. Both rooms were spiffy with two bathrooms, view spectacular, value tremendous.

That's what i am looking for....

Can Hyatt Sarasota deliver?

m0hamed Feb 23, 2017 3:50 am

The Hyatt looks like a 3 star convention hotel. The view looks ok but even the best suites are just meh.

The RC is a truly stunning property. They had a separate beach club with regular shuttles with several pools and sun loungers on the beach with food and beverage service.

I think we got a suite a the RC for USD $550 per night. Obviously if you're booking this fare out they probably have loaded RACK rates and no deals.

59Impala Apr 3, 2017 6:36 am

Had a fantastic 1 night stay last week. got upgraded in advance to a Suite. The double beds I had requested, plus an adjacent living room with balcony. was confirmed on the day before check-in, as I got a "reservation change" showing the 2 rooms.

Room on 9th floor, great service and staff, great breakfast. As a Globalist, I had no restrictions on the breakfast, so chose something from the menu. Poolside lunch was very good as well,
Free self-parking

anubond005 Jun 14, 2017 7:15 am

Any recent reviews/experiences at this hotel. Taking my friends here for a 3 night stay and hoping for great time. Any insight on Globalist treatment or breakfast will help too. Thanks

beachfan Jun 15, 2017 9:42 am

Originally Posted by anubond005 (Post 28441169)
Any recent reviews/experiences at this hotel. Taking my friends here for a 3 night stay and hoping for great time. Any insight on Globalist treatment or breakfast will help too. Thanks

Was there over mothers day weekend. Breakfast was decent (would have liked more fresh fruit options), location very good, honored free parking on Hyatt Credit Card night, service very nice.

Pet friendly, which resulted in me stepping in dog poo in the elevator. The upgrade was to a regular room, high floor, with a "view" that was a view of a parking lot. Requested a room with a real view, got a better view.

Pleasant stay overall, but could use a refresh as others have mentioned.

Boghopper Oct 23, 2017 12:24 pm

Meh is right

Just stayed there last week for a conference. I used one of my SNAs for a suite which was confirmed and got the usual two connected rooms with a view of the parking lot. The next afternoon I was reading in my room and heard somebody come into the connecting room, walk up to the connecting door and shut it in my face. I called the front desk and was told that the connecting room had been assigned to somebody else and that if I wanted a suite they would see if they could move me. I asked why I had to move and was told that they could "ask" the new inhabitants if they were "willing" to move. I guess Globalist status really is meaningless, glad I'm moving back to Starwood/Marriott.

After a moment to think I decided I needed to leave so I told them to cancel my reservation and off I went to the Westin. Lovely new hotel, no complaints, upgraded to a suite despite last minute reservation. Excellent breakfast.

I'm just glad that I was in the room when it happened. Otherwise I might be missing some stuff I suppose.

Room was dated but clean and reasonably well maintained. Water pressure was anemic, towels were thin and threadbare. Breakfast was terrible. I was allowed to order from the menu but my "ham and cheese" omelet was basically a bacon frittata and the potatoes were dead cold. I didn't bother complaining I just left. They said they would not charge me for the night I was there but the charge appeared on my credit card anyway. They also kept my SNA. Can't say I'm surprised in either case.

CloudCoder Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm

I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but thanks for posting.

If this had happened to me, I can guarantee that I would have hounded them until they deposited the Suite Upgrade award back into my account. Since I'd have to call or write them anyway, I'd also ask them to remove the charge that they said would be comped.

Originally Posted by Boghopper (Post 28967022)
Just stayed there last week for a conference. I used one of my SNAs for a suite which was confirmed and got the usual two connected rooms with a view of the parking lot. The next afternoon I was reading in my room and heard somebody come into the connecting room, walk up to the connecting door and shut it in my face. I called the front desk and was told that the connecting room had been assigned to somebody else and that if I wanted a suite they would see if they could move me. I asked why I had to move and was told that they could "ask" the new inhabitants if they were "willing" to move. I guess Globalist status really is meaningless, glad I'm moving back to Starwood/Marriott.

After a moment to think I decided I needed to leave so I told them to cancel my reservation and off I went to the Westin. Lovely new hotel, no complaints, upgraded to a suite despite last minute reservation. Excellent breakfast.

I'm just glad that I was in the room when it happened. Otherwise I might be missing some stuff I suppose.

Room was dated but clean and reasonably well maintained. Water pressure was anemic, towels were thin and threadbare. Breakfast was terrible. I was allowed to order from the menu but my "ham and cheese" omelet was basically a bacon frittata and the potatoes were dead cold. I didn't bother complaining I just left. They said they would not charge me for the night I was there but the charge appeared on my credit card anyway. They also kept my SNA. Can't say I'm surprised in either case.

Boghopper Oct 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder (Post 28968569)
I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but thanks for posting.

If this had happened to me, I can guarantee that I would have hounded them until they deposited the Suite Upgrade award back into my account. Since I'd have to call or write them anyway, I'd also ask them to remove the charge that they said would be comped.

I'm not going to use the SNA, anyway. I won't be in the Hyatt program anymore, which was pretty much determined when they decided they didn't want "lite" elites like me (25 stays a year, no way in Hades I can make 60 nights given their footprint). Their top tier is good (except for the stupid name), the next tier down is basically worthless, or no better than the status you can get at other chains by owning a credit card.

dprocuk Jun 28, 2018 10:45 am

Has anyone stayed recently? Looking for something from 2018 if at all possible.

Thinking of going for a few days at the end of December with 4 & 5 year old. Hit up Siesta Key for a day, bop over to Lido, maybe see some manatees, do some shelling and looking for sharks teeth. Looks to be a decent option, especially for only 12,000 WoH points.

We plan to then head down to Coconut in Bonita Springs for the second half of trip, use the lounge, day a day on Sanibel, and enjoy all the pools on property.

Thoughts? Recommendations?

beachfan Jun 28, 2018 8:52 pm

Stay at Coconut point the whole time.

Hot Pocket Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

It depends on what you’re looking for. The Sarasota Hyatt is upscale, the Globalist breakfast is great, it’s right on the water with free parking. It is a better couples retreat than a family friendly resort for kids. That’s where Coconut Point comes in. They are both excellent but could hardly be more different.