FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Sarasota REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/658347-hyatt-sarasota-review-master-thread.html)

ryandc99 May 5, 2019 2:30 pm

Any recent stays?

rfrost May 8, 2019 12:57 pm

I was there in February. There were big problems with the elevators, only one of which was working. The hotel was packed for a jazz festival and the waits for the working elevator were VERY long.

beachfan May 12, 2019 8:53 pm

My second stay.

Good glob recognition, with free valet parking, late checkout and full breakfast, also extended to a second room in my name for my nephew, his wife and two small children.

Very positive interactions with guest facing staff (front desk, bellman, restaurant staff, valet parking)

Housekeeping a little disappointing (left one stuff on the floor first day, didn’t follow through on making up room when requested (and granted) cleanup before my late checkout.

Room nice, bedding good, bathroom functional albeit outdated. Received minor upgrade to top floor balcony room (hotel was sold out for several days).

Pool is nice but available lounge chairs were scarce.

Breakfast quality was mixed. Fruit, eggs, rotating specialties were good. Smoked salmon, pastries, breads subpar.

Good use of free cat 4 night certificate. I think the Hyatt Coconut Point is now a Cat 5; that is a better all around hotel.

dprocuk Jun 12, 2019 2:30 pm

We were here back in January and had a pleasant stay. One thing to note which was great for families....they had free fishing from their dock. We caught a number of fish, including two large fish. Staff worker was shocked at our catches. It made for a fun morning activity with the kids...and the price was right! We were leaving that afternoon, but saw signs by the elevator that the restaurant on-site will prepare any fresh catch you may have (for a fee), but certainly something to consider.

Overall the stay was pleasant for two nights. Certainly not as nice as the previous nights at Coconut Point, but it was a good spot to experience Sarasota, Siesta Key, etc.

Mary2e Dec 6, 2019 1:31 pm

I'll be here for 3 nights and have upgraded using a TSU.

Does anyone have experience getting them to honor the breakfast for room service? We'll have our small dog with us and won't be able to take him into the restaurant. I've had other hotels allow us to use coupons/certificates for room service as an exception, and was wondering if anyone tried it here.

AAerSTL Dec 25, 2019 5:54 am

Stayed here for one night last week using an expiring Chase free night (cat 1-4) certificate. Was not charged the phony resort fee on my award stay. Property is older and on small side but perfectly well kept, clean and functional. Supposedly they are in the early planning phases of a room renovation per the front desk supervisor. I did appreciate that Currents Restaurant has a Vegan tofu scramble on the breakfast menu. Pharmacopia products in bathroom.

Ample free parking on street in front of property and public lot across the street. Street parking is a three three hour limit and enforced Monday-Saturday between 9am-8pm, so perfectly doable for an overnight stay but definitely read the signs. I suppose during spring break rush and when performances are underway at Van Wezel next door.

Would happily return if opportunity presented itself but if given the choice would choose Westin or RC over this for Sarasota.

madderlake Sep 21, 2020 5:20 pm

Any recent post-Covid reports here?

united 1k flyer Dec 8, 2020 1:14 pm

Going for Christmas would like the answer also

madderlake Mar 11, 2021 3:01 pm

Any recent stays in the new year? Curious what's open and what isn't on property... thank you!

beachmiles Mar 13, 2021 2:26 pm

Wide open

[QUOTE=madderlake;33094173]Any recent stays in the new year? Curious what's open and what isn't on property... thank you![/QUO

we just returned from a 5 night stay. restaurant, bar, pool, fitness center all open. Masks required when not eating or drinking. Over all, a very nice stay, for modest point redemption. Lots of activity in Sarasota.

Beckles Jun 28, 2021 11:19 pm

Just stayed here for two nights, one of the busier weekends of the year for them usually (Powerboat races, though they are no longer the host hotel for this event as they have been many years in the past), restaurant/bar and pool bar/snack service were both open, and it looks like they always are based on the information we were given. The agent told me parking and resort fees are being waived for Globalists, though I was using free night certificates so they would have been waived anyway.

Note there is no free parking on the street or the lot across the street, because that lot doesn't exist anymore and half the street is closed for a big park project the City has underway on that property. I did see street parking that was never full one block east of the hotel on a new street that's been built in the past few years (El Verona Avenue I believe) as well as some spots just north of the hotel on Van Wezel Way (runs perpendicular to the Boulevard of the Arts that the hotel is on).

Breakfast was ridiculously expensive, for our family of four our breakfast at the Ritz-Carlton was $20 less expensive for a similar amount of food (and much better quality). They comped it off fully the first day, as well as the second day once I asked about it, lack of a kids' menu is partly to blame (kids are only $12, including drink, at Ritz-Carlton, no kids menu at Hyatt for breakfast that we were offered).

Daftryan Jun 29, 2021 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles (Post 33366007)
Just stayed here for two nights, one of the busier weekends of the year for them usually (Powerboat races, though they are no longer the host hotel for this event as they have been many years in the past), restaurant/bar and pool bar/snack service were both open, and it looks like they always are based on the information we were given. The agent told me parking and resort fees are being waived for Globalists, though I was using free night certificates so they would have been waived anyway.

Note there is no free parking on the street or the lot across the street, because that lot doesn't exist anymore and half the street is closed for a big park project the City has underway on that property. I did see street parking that was never full one block east of the hotel on a new street that's been built in the past few years (El Verona Avenue I believe) as well as some spots just north of the hotel on Van Wezel Way (runs perpendicular to the Boulevard of the Arts that the hotel is on).

Breakfast was ridiculously expensive, for our family of four our breakfast at the Ritz-Carlton was $20 less expensive for a similar amount of food (and much better quality). They comped it off fully the first day, as well as the second day once I asked about it, lack of a kids' menu is partly to blame (kids are only $12, including drink, at Ritz-Carlton, no kids menu at Hyatt for breakfast that we were offered).

That's a shame about breakfast. I stay at this hotel when visiting my grandma who lives in the condo complex next door. The buffet was incredible when I last stayed here in August 2019. Time to go see granny again....

59Impala Oct 16, 2022 4:44 am

Any recent experiences here? Plannin a couple of days next week.

i thought I read in this thread that the hotel would be shutting down, but must have been in another thread….there is not much activity in this thread, seems like a nice hotel.

Daftryan Oct 16, 2022 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by 59Impala (Post 34684743)
Any recent experiences here? Plannin a couple of days next week.

i thought I read in this thread that the hotel would be shutting down, but must have been in another thread….there is not much activity in this thread, seems like a nice hotel.

I was there end of August, and that tear down will not be happening until I believe they said end of 2023 or even 2024. It will then be re-built and rebranded as a Thompson. Who knows though...by then that plan may change.

It's definitely an old hotel, but it's well run. They are, for example, quick to bring up items that you request through the app.

Breakfast is a fantastic buffet. I would advise against using a TSU award here as the suites suck, but the rooms are comfortable. The suite are two standard rooms with the connecting door open, and the extra room has the most random furniture just kind of thrown in there. It's really not worth it unless you have young kids or something.

Great pool though, nice enough lobby bar, and like I said, fantastic breakfast. The GM here is a really, really nice guy who actually helps out on the floor for breakfast. I found that very respectable.

59Impala Oct 16, 2022 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Daftryan (Post 34686217)
I was there end of August, and that tear down will not be happening until I believe they said end of 2023 or even 2024. It will then be re-built and rebranded as a Thompson. Who knows though...by then that plan may change.

It's definitely an old hotel, but it's well run. They are, for example, quick to bring up items that you request through the app.

Breakfast is a fantastic buffet. I would advise against using a TSU award here as the suites suck, but the rooms are comfortable. The suite are two standard rooms with the connecting door open, and the extra room has the most random furniture just kind of thrown in there. It's really not worth it unless you have young kids or something.

Great pool though, nice enough lobby bar, and like I said, fantastic breakfast. The GM here is a really, really nice guy who actually helps out on the floor for breakfast. I found that very respectable.

thank you so much!!