Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Great pictures, thanks! Do club rooms get free Internet? How much is a taxi from the airport or is that offered for club rooms as well? Can you make dinner out of the club lounge spread or is the restaurant pretty affordable? What about the spa services? Are massages cheap?
Old Feb 25, 2013, 5:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by enelym1978
As a Diamond, I got upgraded to the Club level with a nice room. Strange thing is that they did not ask me whether I wanted the amenities or the bonus points. They just came to my room with 3 big cookie and chocolate jars, fresh fruits and a bottle of Shiraz.
You don't get a choice of points at international properties. now you do!

Last edited by hailstorm; May 18, 2013 at 4:56 am
Old Feb 26, 2013, 10:22 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Great pictures, thanks! Do club rooms get free Internet? How much is a taxi from the airport or is that offered for club rooms as well? Can you make dinner out of the club lounge spread or is the restaurant pretty affordable? What about the spa services? Are massages cheap?
I paid 650 NPR for the airport taxi. I did not use the hotel's services as they are more expensive. But they have better and more comfy cars, that's for sure.

I wouldn't count on the Club floor lounge for dinner. It's quite limited but if you're ok with some cookies and canapes and fruits, why not?

I did not try their restaurants or spa, sorry...
Old Sep 1, 2013, 11:31 pm

Just came back from my second stay at this HR...

I don't remember the Wifi/Ethernet internet to be soooo slow last time.
I used Speedtest.net a few times and on average, it returned a download speed of 0.6Mb/s and... a 0.3Mb/s upload speed!!!

It was a pain in the backside to read my work emails... let alone surfing the web. I talked tot he attendant at the lounge level and she said she would ask IT to "increase the speed", not sure what that meant... but nothing changed. Stayed for 2 nights and it was just painful.

Service is always nice though!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 12:56 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
how was transportation to/from the hotel and downtown??

since you didn't have dinner at the hotel, are there a few decent restaurants in the immediate hotel area??

Originally Posted by enelym1978
Just came back from my second stay at this HR...

I don't remember the Wifi/Ethernet internet to be soooo slow last time.
I used Speedtest.net a few times and on average, it returned a download speed of 0.6Mb/s and... a 0.3Mb/s upload speed!!!

It was a pain in the backside to read my work emails... let alone surfing the web. I talked tot he attendant at the lounge level and she said she would ask IT to "increase the speed", not sure what that meant... but nothing changed. Stayed for 2 nights and it was just painful.

Service is always nice though!
Old Sep 2, 2013, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by BKKLEE

since you didn't have dinner at the hotel, are there a few decent restaurants in the immediate hotel area??
I had room service, not bad.

I also had a quick bite (club sandwich) at the cafe on the ground level (level 3 for them).

Transportation. I had a friend picking me up at the airport and drove me to the HR. Otherwise, the hotel is a bit far from "downtown", which is Thamel and the older part of Kathmandu.
It's nearby the airport and the Pashupati temple. Taxis are cheap but they are usually these tiny Suzuki cars.

On my check-out day, they actually gave me complimentary transportation. They thought i was going to the airport but then I said I was moving to another hotel in the Thamel area. No problem, they drove me there, free of charge. Not sure whether it's because I'm a Diamond or got upgraded to the Regency Club level.

They have a big van for that... which is not always easy to maneuver in the tiny streets of Thamel.

Otherwise, expect about 700 Rupees for a ride from the airport and about 400-500 to Thamel.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 10:58 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by BKKLEE

They offer a shuttle from the hotel to Thamel at fixed times I think 4 or 5 times a day. One way shuttle though, you're on your own getting back. Alternatively it's a 45-60 minute dusty, somewhat interesting walk.

I didn't eat anywhere in the hotel area but I did notice a handful of tourist restaurants in the Bodnath Stupa area (which is about an 8-10 minute walk out the back of the hotel). However when I asked in the lounge for recommendations in that area they pretty much told me there was nothing worthwhile. There was a place on tripadvisor that looked interesting and got good reviews but there are no street names / signs and the map they gave me was pretty bad so didn't make the effort to hunt it down.

Taxi to the airport is free for Diamond, pick up may be free as well if you arrange in advance but the fixed cab is not that expensive. (I think 650 NPR is fixed price and if you walk outside to find someone else you can probably get it for 500-550).

Would suggest avoiding the travel agent company in the lobby if you're planning on heading out of Kathmandu and instead arrange it somewhere in Thamel. They quoted me $250 US for a driver to Chitwan National Park. Research online showed me the price should have been closer to $80-$100 or a bus for $14. I suppose they're generally catering to a clientele who doesn't mind paying extra and the car offered might have been of a higher quality but I can't imagine it being worth that price differential. They're fine for booking flights though, prices are fixed.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
thanks for your input............been to Kathmandu a few times but never stayed outside the CBD so your comments were very welcomed............

Originally Posted by IggySD
They offer a shuttle from the hotel to Thamel at fixed times I think 4 or 5 times a day. One way shuttle though, you're on your own getting back. Alternatively it's a 45-60 minute dusty, somewhat interesting walk.

I didn't eat anywhere in the hotel area but I did notice a handful of tourist restaurants in the Bodnath Stupa area (which is about an 8-10 minute walk out the back of the hotel). However when I asked in the lounge for recommendations in that area they pretty much told me there was nothing worthwhile. There was a place on tripadvisor that looked interesting and got good reviews but there are no street names / signs and the map they gave me was pretty bad so didn't make the effort to hunt it down.

Taxi to the airport is free for Diamond, pick up may be free as well if you arrange in advance but the fixed cab is not that expensive. (I think 650 NPR is fixed price and if you walk outside to find someone else you can probably get it for 500-550).

Would suggest avoiding the travel agent company in the lobby if you're planning on heading out of Kathmandu and instead arrange it somewhere in Thamel. They quoted me $250 US for a driver to Chitwan National Park. Research online showed me the price should have been closer to $80-$100 or a bus for $14. I suppose they're generally catering to a clientele who doesn't mind paying extra and the car offered might have been of a higher quality but I can't imagine it being worth that price differential. They're fine for booking flights though, prices are fixed.
Old Jan 30, 2014, 12:06 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
I flew back to BKK on TG in C (no F). Remember view of Everest in right side. View of Everest out left side. Had a great view of the mountains leaving. Also. If you really want to know which mountain cap is Everest do your research ahead of time. Looking at the entire range it will be to your extreme right set back. That makes actually seeing Everest a ?.
RTW flying from AUH is Everest on left or right?
also thanks all for the heads up on the complaimentry transfers.
Old Jan 31, 2014, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Originally Posted by aussielori
RTW flying from AUH is Everest on left or right?
also thanks all for the heads up on the complaimentry transfers.
Coming from BKK Everest is visible from the right hand side and we've always landed from the south. From AUH I'd surmise you won't have much of a view save a super good visibility day as Everest is considerably to the east of Kathmandu.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 6:56 am

Programs: QF Emerald EY Plat HH D
Read on here that once upgraded to club free airport so booked it, they were waiting and happy to oblige
lovely fast checkin.
booked on P=C- what a deal and used diamond upgrade to suite.
the hotel is lovely the pool is stunning and the staff are exceptional.
Im in the club now lots of food and help yourself drinks.
I can't say how great this hotel is!
wish I had booked more nights.
the breakfast downstairs is fabulous. the whole place is wonderful.
oh and make sure you book spa before 2pm as you get 30% off the massage scrub was great.
also free car to several wonder spots but must book 30 mins before.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:19 pm

staying there in 2nd week of march 2014 for a week! PM me if any of you will be there in March 2014. I have booked club room for 2 persons.

Do we both get lounge access or only one person?
Old Mar 2, 2014, 7:42 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
staying there in 2nd week of march 2014 for a week! PM me if any of you will be there in March 2014. I have booked club room for 2 persons.

Do we both get lounge access or only one person?
You've booked for 2 persons - both should get club access - even if you were upgraded to club as a Diamond, with a booking for two, both should get club access.
Old Mar 2, 2014, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by peteropny
You've booked for 2 persons - both should get club access - even if you were upgraded to club as a Diamond, with a booking for two, both should get club access.
It is one club room booked by me and my brother will join me there. Booked with my Hyatt points
Old Mar 3, 2014, 9:22 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
It is one club room booked by me and my brother will join me there. Booked with my Hyatt points
Who your guest is doesn't matter - you've booked a club room for two persons. It's not like you were asking if you've booked for 2, will the 3rd person get access or if you've booked 2 rooms, will the 2nd room get access - these would be YMMV but you probably would if you were Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.