Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Kathmandu REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
I'm considering a short stay here in Jan 12. I just want to confirm that when it is mentioned the location is not the best...is it safe for solo female to be wandering around??
Old Sep 20, 2011, 9:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
I'm considering a short stay here in Jan 12. I just want to confirm that when it is mentioned the location is not the best...is it safe for solo female to be wandering around??
When people talk about the location not being the best, I think that they mean it is not in the heart of town. You need to take a car to go most places other than the large temple that is visible from the hotel. The neighborhood is pleasant, the hotel grounds are extensive, and there is no issue of walking in the vicinity of the hotel.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by retirementdreams
Just as SanDiego1K said... the grounds are peaceful + delightful, & Kathmandu in general is a most glorious strange and beautiful place. Just chaotic. Go in expecting chaotic (Indian city level chaotic, the v. highest) outside the hotel. (The old town, for instance, around Durbar Square, is enchanting to wander, especially first thing in the morning, butter-lamps and drifting incense, one of the most special places in the world. But: it's made up of narrow medieval streets with motorcycles coming both ways, donkey-carts coming both ways, cars, pedestrians, wedding processions... there's a fair bit of leaping aside involved, always. There's no such thing as a truly peaceful walk. That's the only safety issue, really, in Kathmandu - apart from the obvious things like not buying drugs from the clearly-on-the-police-payroll guys in Thamel. The Maoists have faded, lately.) Keep an eye on the festival calendar for Nepal - some are just stunning, and worth planning your trip around. The Hyatt's a lovely sanctuary. Nepal's glorious. Give yourself time to adjust, and enjoy. I've never known anyone regret going.
Old Sep 21, 2011, 12:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Yeah, it's safe ... if you're willing to take some time, there are a few destinations that can be walked to ... it's a good points redemption value at Cat 1 (5000 points/night)

A nice pool that the local expats pay to use, large grounds with a high wall which allows a noticeable decrease in the air pollution of the city
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA explat,Adm Club,Priority Club, and all nonsense in my comic book mind.
Thanks everyone for your input. I will arrive here on the 3rd of January...give me a day or two to recuperate from the flight (and hope that I make the connection from AA to Jet in Delhi!! Happy holidays to all.

RD
Old Jul 18, 2012, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone have any tips to get a reasonable rate here? Looking at over $200 a night with taxes. Seems a lot for a standard room IMO. Pity there is no Hilton!
Old Jul 18, 2012, 9:53 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by hugolover
Does anyone have any tips to get a reasonable rate here? Looking at over $200 a night with taxes. Seems a lot for a standard room IMO.
Do you have any Hyatt points? It is just 5K points/night.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:13 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Do you have any Hyatt points? It is just 5K points/night.
SanDiego1K is absolutely right.
Even buying Hyatt points (or moving them from Amex or something) seems like a better deal than paying $200/night for that place. While I had a nice stay and was treated well, it's definitely not a top-end Hyatt. That said, it's got a nice location and decent food in the restaurants.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by kyushuman
Even buying Hyatt points (or moving them from Amex or something) seems like a better deal than paying $200/night for that place. While I had a nice stay and was treated well, it's definitely not a top-end Hyatt. That said, it's got a nice location and decent food in the restaurants.
And it MIGHT be worth for playing for club using points if you don't have Diamond status.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hi,

I'm new to Hyatt so unfortunately no points. I can arrange a status match to Diamond though.

Apart from buying the points, and Amex and other way to get some?

It's definitely a better deal to buy the points at the moment than to book a room.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 12:46 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by kyushuman
The property is indeed conveniently located: near the airport, near the city center and walking distance from the Boudhanath shrine. People in the hotel are quite professional and very professional in the club. The swimming pool is quite relaxing and the hotel also has its own garden where the Chef grows vegetables. A nice oasis from the city. Restaurants have nice terraces for evening dinner. The Travel desk can organize day trip to see Mt Everest and sightseeing tour in the city.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 8:05 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Dilema: Hyatt or Radisson

Hi,

I am considering this property, most probably by point redemption based on the feedback I see from the last few posts. My stay will be for 2 nights.
However I also have the option to choose the Radisson also with points.

I am just wondering besides the location and the food at the restaurant, would this be a better choice (especially from point usage) compared to the Radisson.

Cheers!

ps: am not elite in both hotel programs, just those odd points dumped into. For Hyatt, I would need to buy points for my 2nd night.
pss: am looking for some luxury place after my first few days roughing it out in teahouses
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:50 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Hi everyone,

I will need to make a trip to Kathmandu early February and was considering this HR.

The reviews sound good enough and I don't mind staying a bit away from the center. I'm sure taxi are quite affordable?

Anyway, I will be purchasing points for 2 nights at US$240 (whereas 1 night paid costs US$205 incl. taxes).
Which makes me think, do we need to pay the taxes if we pay the stay with points?

And if it's paid with points, can I use my Suite Awards on them? or is it just on paid stays?

My alternative would be the CP I guess... but being only Gold with ICHG....

Thanks all in advance!
Old Jan 16, 2013, 12:23 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by enelym1978
Hi everyone,

I will need to make a trip to Kathmandu early February and was considering this HR.

The reviews sound good enough and I don't mind staying a bit away from the center. I'm sure taxi are quite affordable?

Anyway, I will be purchasing points for 2 nights at US$240 (whereas 1 night paid costs US$205 incl. taxes).
Which makes me think, do we need to pay the taxes if we pay the stay with points?

And if it's paid with points, can I use my Suite Awards on them? or is it just on paid stays?

My alternative would be the CP I guess... but being only Gold with ICHG....

Thanks all in advance!
  • Hotel is quite close to the airport and you can walk to Boudhanath Stuppa through the garden of the hotel. There is a guard at the back door.
  • Taxis are fairly inexpensive in Kathmandu.
  • Enjoy, it is a nice property with excellent service, especially in the club and in the restaurants.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 9:48 pm
Marriott 10+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Gold, IHG Gold, BAEC Silver, TP Silver
Just returned from my stay there. I had a lovely stay at this HR. The building is quite impressive, especially viewed from the plane when landing. The view of the HR and the Buddha Stupa is just quite impressive.

Taxis out of the airport are at a flat rate of RPs 650... Don't expect a Benz or even a Toyota, they are all these tiny Suzuki. After a good 15-20 minutes ride through the unfinished and bumpy roads of Kathmandu, you finally arrive at the HR.

Staff is super friendly and available. They even greeted me by name on the first evening when I walked to the concierge desk ^.

As a Diamond, I got upgraded to the Club level with a nice room. Strange thing is that they did not ask me whether I wanted the amenities or the bonus points. They just came to my room with 3 big cookie and chocolate jars, fresh fruits and a bottle of Shiraz.

Room is nice and big. No LCD TV but a regular old school CRT one Bathroom is big as well, separate shower with good water pressure and hot water. Bath tub available. The tiles on the floor start to look a bit worn out.

A major problem in Nepal are the power outages. It's quite regular. Sure the hotel has its own generator but somehow, the TV was not working anymore after each time the generator kicks in. They provide each room with a torch anyway, just in case.

Heating was working well.

Breakfast at the Club lounge was good but limited. Nice view on the stupa. Friendly and efficient service.

You can walk to the stupa through the gardens, through the back door gate. It's about 15min walk and there are signage. To come back, just knock at the gate or try to call the guard through the openings. Otherwise you need to walk around the property and it's huge!

They have a scheduled free shuttle service that drops you off at several points in town. No pick up though.

Anyway, had a very good stay there and would definitely stay there again if I had to come to Kathmandu.

Here are a few pictures:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.