Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Dulles North (Sterling, VA) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's

Well an AmeriSuites is in the process of renovation into a Hyatt Place, so I figured I'd check it out and get the 2x stay credit ... might do a few more over the next few months at $40 per stay credit

They are still renovating the lobby, so things aren't complete yet. The front desk needs work as they have no "Hyatt Place" keycards yet, and the dining area is temporarily closed until the renovation is finshed. Breakfast is served in one of their meeting rooms (I didn't stick around for it).

Wi-Fi is free in the hotel and the rooms are made for both relaxation and work. The FIRST thing one notices when they enter the room is the 42" plasma TV that takes up almost one wall between the "Cozy Corner" and the bedroom. The room has an adequate work desk that is the right height for the chair they have. Nothing ticks me off trying to work at a desk that is too low or high for the chair.

There is a wet bar area and sink, also a small refrigerator in the living area. They have added a small wall to partially seperate the bedroom from the parlor area, which makes a nice break between the two areas.

The vanity is outside the bathroom, with a black granite top. There are several drawers and a small closet with iron and ironing board. The bathroom has been repainted and papered, and includes the larger curved shower curtain.

I've posted some pics here... enjoy!
Old Jan 17, 2007, 7:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
thanks Zipper; this is definitely one of those places where I check in and leave type deals but if they keep the rates low on the weekend; it will definitely be a place to build up my 2X stay credits by the end of Feb if my work doesn't offer me the opportunity to get enough nights in that time frame

was there any other recognition of diamond status in any way shape or form?

also, how long did the stay take to post?
Old Jan 17, 2007, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
No recognition of DIA status... web site says "Platinum and Diamond members will receive point bonuses and select in-hotel benefits" tried getting a better answer from the DIA line on what this means and they were clueless... definately need some training there! (NOTE: On my statement I got a 500 point DIA bonus in addition to 1.5 points per $ for the regular DIA bonus)

Stay was on 1/12 and posted today 1/17

With the 42" plasma, I'd say if one can get a good AAA rate, this is where I'd have my Super Bowl party...

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
was there any other recognition of diamond status in any way shape or form?

also, how long did the stay take to post?

Last edited by thezipper; Jan 17, 2007 at 11:01 am Reason: Stay Just Posted
Old Jan 17, 2007, 11:10 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I have also stayed here recently and found that almost everything in the room was redone, other than some of the bathroom - a pretty thorough renovation. The 42" plasma was nice and included channels such as HBO and ESPN. I overheard a manager saying that there will be High Definition available on the TV's soon.

The hotel is scheduled to become Hyatt Place on Feb 1, although this date is tentative.

For those not interested in points , the hotel is selling for $53 on priceline during the week (as a 2.5*) - a great price considering the recent renovations

Last edited by martyYYZ; Jan 17, 2007 at 1:32 pm Reason: added more details
Old Jan 17, 2007, 9:38 pm

I stayed here too a week earlier and the tv didnt work that weekend, but aside from renovation activity (including on sunday) it was nice though the air condition/heating was bit loud.

as i reported in the other thread on double stays, i was able to book this through www.amerisuites.com/movie for a $63 aarp rate (taxes brought it to $70) and that rate includes two fandago movie tickets. (they also have the same $63 aaa rate).

So at those prices, the priceline rate doesn't make much sense. rates are higher during the week though

Then again while that got me 362 points (i'm platinum) and 2 stay credits, a stay at the hyatt at fairlakes with the g2 benefit generates about 2400 points for like $100 with taxes and comes with a full breakfast and at the moment qualifies for the free nights thing.

Last edited by MrAOK; Jan 17, 2007 at 9:49 pm
Old Jan 18, 2007, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by MrAOK
and at the moment qualifies for the free nights thing.
I thought Hyatt Place/Amerisuites didn't qualify for FFN? Did you get a FFN credit when staying here?
Old Jan 18, 2007, 9:11 am

what i meant was stays at the hyatt fairlakes gives you more points and lets you qualify for the ffn nights promo that stays at the amerisuites dont provide.

However the amerisuites gets you movie tickets and ouble stay credit.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
OK, so I'm not staying in VA, but I have begun staying at the AmeriSuites/Hyatt Place Cincinnati Airport. Same deal as above, they are mid-construction, and the lobby is a mess, but the new rooms are great. I think the lobby will be done at the end of Feb, when they will officially switch over to Hyatt Place in name.
I was staying at a Marriott Courtyard...got 10,000 points from the Hyatt to switch, and got a nice gift basket to say thanks for the business.

There is a Best Buy next door, so I may buy a cable to show movies from my laptop on the HDTV! And several of the channels ARE HD now, including HBO HD.
Chief complaints: no Comedy Central, no MTV/VH1, etc, and there is an annoying PAUSE when you are switching channel...about a 3-5 second black screen when the channel is coming up.

Overall, a very nice room! Well done, Hyatt. ^
Old Jan 23, 2007, 12:33 pm

i've seen some indication somewhere that hyatt will be switching the hyatt place tv services (which may have varied by location) over to satellite. someone announced a contract for it.

hyatt has also announced plans to put xm satellite radios in all it u.s. hotels, but i'm not sure if it applies to hyatt place hotesl
Old Jan 23, 2007, 2:05 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by MrAOK
hyatt has also announced plans to put xm satellite radios in all it u.s. hotels, but i'm not sure if it applies to hyatt place hotesl
Are you talking about recently or a couple of years ago? I think that the xm radios has been superseded by iPod docking radios.
Old Jan 23, 2007, 8:04 pm

500 DIA Bonus points

[QUOTE=(NOTE: On my statement I got a 500 point DIA bonus in addition to 1.5 points per $ for the regular DIA bonus)
QUOTE]
Is the DIA 500 a standard bonus or amenity or required to use certain codes?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

I've gotten mine automatically, but this is how it posted...
"HPHZ Diamond Welcome Bonus 500 Points"

[QUOTE=JNB71;7080274]
Originally Posted by (NOTE: On my statement I got a 500 point DIA bonus in addition to 1.5 points per $ for the regular DIA bonus)
Is the DIA 500 a standard bonus or amenity or required to use certain codes?

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2007, 9:48 pm

Thanks. And Thanks for the pics.

[QUOTE=thezipper;7080757]I've gotten mine automatically, but this is how it posted...
"HPHZ Diamond Welcome Bonus 500 Points"

Old Jan 24, 2007, 9:13 pm

Smaller bath amenities

Just checked in at AmeriSuite buckhead, Atlanta and noticed that Portico bath products are of smaller size as in Hyatt hotels.

All things considered, Hyatt Place can well be a good choice for GP points and stay credits.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 12:21 pm

weekend AAA rate is now down to $47 through the end of March. A great deal, especially with the double stay promo

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.