Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 19, 2024, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
As of February 2024:

Closest open entrance from the hotel to the Metro Center Station is 11th & G Streets.

Active construction (jackhammers and loud banging) on the 12th and 11th floors. Hotel Is booking rooms directly under the construction zone!

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Washington DC REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 21, 2018, 5:56 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
In my limited experience, the club is small, poorly staffed, and frequented by consumers even more avid and sloppy than I. That's why my experience is limited; I haven't been tempted (much) to return, even at the low prices. By way of comparison, I think the HR Washington club, even if small, is better.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 7:15 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by soliloquy
We need to book 2 rooms. 1 King room and 1 Double room. The points difference is 21K/night v. 15K/night with the former being for Club Access. We are staying 4 nights. Is it worth 48K points to have club access?
No. The club is small for the amount of people who go there. During breakfast the place is a madhouse and I’ve often been unable to find a place to seat as families take over every spot. One of my least favorite US club lounges.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT
Has any Globalist been able to get comp breakfast at the restaurant rather than the Club lounge? I think this question was asked upthread, but not ever answered. Trying to avoid the madhouse in the tiny lounge if they'll allow it...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Million Miler,Hyatt-Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Club Carlson, National-Exec.
Washington

Originally Posted by h8stn4d
Has any Globalist been able to get comp breakfast at the restaurant rather than the Club lounge? I think this question was asked upthread, but not ever answered. Trying to avoid the madhouse in the tiny lounge if they'll allow it...
That would be my question too as I am staying there next week for a quick in and out meeting. Is the Lounge even open during the holidays?
Thanks
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by klakhav
That would be my question too as I am staying there next week for a quick in and out meeting. Is the Lounge even open during the holidays?
Thanks
They told me it would be no problem for a Globalist to eat breakfast in the restaurant...just bill it to the room. Which is a good thing, because the club lounge is tiny.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by h8stn4d
They told me it would be no problem for a Globalist to eat breakfast in the restaurant...just bill it to the room. Which is a good thing, because the club lounge is tiny.
If this is true, that would be an exceptional step forward for this property.

Please report back back whether or not you had any issue getting the charge waived.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dpb132

Please report back back whether or not you had any issue getting the charge waived.
+1

would love to know if this actually works. Considering it takes effort to get parking comped on glob award nights, I'd be surprised if the property were willing to do restaurant breakfast instead of lounge as a rule. Wouldn't surprise me if they did it for a valued regular customer though.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by dpb132

I was traveling with 2 adults and 2 kids 13 & 15. We ate in the restaurant for breakfast every day of our 6-day visit. In one case, I ate with one kid and my wife with another, at different times. I am a Globalist but haven't stayed at this property before. I have no reason to believe that I was treated specially. In fact, I asked on two occasions (called beforehand and asked when I checked in) and was told the same thing twice: No problem.

At some breakfasts, tip was added automatically (I think maybe when it was over $100?); and in other cases I added it. In one case, I added a tip on top of the already-added service charge. You can order a la carte from the menu or the buffet (hot or continental). We had multiple cappuccinos multiple times (for those keeping close tabs).

When I checked out, every nickel from breakfast was removed from the bill, no fuss. The only thing on the bill aside from room charges and room taxes was $10 for a glass of wine upstairs in the lounge.

This was not an award stay so I did not rent a car. Also, FWIW, my room rate was like $105/night. DC is evidently pretty dead over the holidays.
dpb132 likes this.
Old May 28, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt / SPG
Grand Hyatt DC starting this destination fee BS.....SMH!

Beginning June 1, 2019, all new, future reservations will have a destination fee of $20.00 plus tax (subject to change) applied to each night of your stay.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/wa...wasgh/policies
Old May 29, 2019, 6:40 am

Originally Posted by Star_Guy
Beginning June 1, 2019, all new, future reservations will have a destination fee of $20.00 plus tax (subject to change) applied to each night of your stay.

https://www.hyatt.com/en-US/hotel/wa...wasgh/policies
There are plenty of Hyatt Place/Hyatt House locations throughout the D.C./NoVa area that are great options for Hyatt fans. No reason to stay at the Grand Hyatt and pay the destination fee unless there is a specific need to be in the hotel's area.
Old May 29, 2019, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by JetAway
There are plenty of Hyatt Place/Hyatt House locations throughout the D.C./NoVa area that are great options for Hyatt fans. No reason to stay at the Grand Hyatt and pay the destination fee unless there is a specific need to be in the hotel's area.
Sorry but some prefer a full service 4-star or higher experience. I will never choose a HH or HP over a Grand, Regency, Andaz, etc.. Fee is also waived for Globs... but you still get any of the perks.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Sorry but some prefer a full service 4-star or higher experience. I will never choose a HH or HP over a Grand, Regency, Andaz, etc.. Fee is also waived for Globs... but you still get any of the perks.
A non-Glob might have a different view about throwing away $20 a day. And I'm not sure what "service" or "experience" this rather tired hotel offers over some of the newer (and nicer) Hyatt Houses in the area.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:34 am

A non-Glob might have a different view about throwing away $20 a day. And I'm not sure what "service" or "experience" this rather tired hotel offers over some of the newer (and nicer) Hyatt Houses in the area.
Depends on how you define “nice.” I find even new HH and HP properties to be a far lesser experience than a typical full service Hyatt... but hey that’s just one persons opinion.

HH/HP:
1. Cookie cutter boring/cheap architecture and furnishings.
2. Mediocre (at absolute best) breakfast.
3. Less experienced/least trained staff. Mostly franchises.
4. Minimal fitness centers (at most).
5. Cheap toiletries.
6. No real upgraded rooms or basic/minimal suites.
7. No club.
8. Basically a chain restaurant of a hotel (if you like Olive Garden you probably love HH/HP).

Full Service Hyatt:
1. One of kind architecture with much higher quality everything (even if it's older).
2. Full service restaurant(s) and bars w/higher quality food available.
3. Higher end fitness centers and in many cases spa areas.
4. Typically much more experienced and better trained staff. Mostly corporate-run and NOT franchises.
5. Better locations.
6. Higher quality room levels (views, suites, deluxe rooms, etc.)
7. Nicer higher quality toiletries.

I like Full Service - but maybe I'm just a wierdo.

...just off the top of my head.

laxsnaogg likes this.

Last edited by txhyattlvr; May 29, 2019 at 9:12 am
Old May 29, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206

Depends on how you define “nice.” I find even new HH and HP properties to be a far lesser experience than a typical full service Hyatt... but hey that’s just one persons opinion.

Interesting how you spin things.
Old May 29, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
And I'm not sure what "service" or "experience" this rather tired hotel offers over some of the newer (and nicer) Hyatt Houses in the area.
I agree. The HH Wharf is terrific and in a fun hip area, and has become my go-to option when traveling to D.C.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.