FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/615242-hyatt-regency-london-churchill-review-master-thread.html)

BoulderHyattHopper Sep 1, 2004 2:15 pm

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

First off, can I just say, "Fabulous!" I mean Fabulous! Top to bottom, this place did it right...

Okay, Jeff took a vacation day on Friday. We left here early (7AM Dusseldorf time, arriving 7 London time ...) We got to the Hyatt at 8somethingAM... Our room ... on the regency club floor ... was ready for us to check in. How fab was that!!!

They saw Nick and asked if we needed a crib? (it was in our reservation, but as long as they took care of it...) Plus they sent up a full bottle of Shampoo and a full bottle of baby powder for him...

We checked into room 830. Nice, but not big. It was nice. Period. Enough said. Bed nice. Bathroom nice. Nothing incredible, but new and nice and great...

The club was FABULOUS in our opinion...

INCREDIBLE SERVICE! Tatiana is FABULOUS. We did not meet her husband, but he works downstairs... Richard and Rodrigo bent over backward to do everything for Nick. They continued to drag the high chair in and out. They scrubbed it clean. There were a number of sets of families with kids.

We received a diamond amenity without asking ... two LARGE bottles of water and a bottle of red.

It was FABULOUS...

Nice food ...

Breakfast:
Great bread for toast
other bread for toast
strudels
chocolate croissants (okay...)
fruit salad
incredible straw berries
cold cuts
fruit
yogurt
cereal
cucumbers
peppers
tomatos
tea
coffee
yummy oj

During the day:
yummy cookies

Evening:
Champagne (Mercier --- by Moet and Chandon)
Red
White
Mixed Drinks
Beer (Carlsburg)
Chocolate covered strawberried
Chocolate covered orange fruit
pralines
Tomato and Mozzarela appetizer
Other pate
Other appetizers that varied by day
cut up vegetables (celery, carrots, cucumber, peppers)

All day long: (6AM - 11PM):
soda
water with bubbles
water without bubbles
beer

It was a nice location. Easy to walk around with the Bugaboo...

Nick was not too happy with the first crib and they brought up a different one. That has never happened (that Nick has not instantly fallen asleep!) They were fabulous...

Top to Bottom ... FABULOUS!!!

And as a bonus...on our Eurowings flight home (we were supposed to be on a full service LH flight, but after 3 hours they brought in a EW plane ...)

Gisele Bundchen and Leonardo Dicaprio were sitting next to us!!!

FlyMan Sep 4, 2004 7:54 am

Originally Posted by BoulderHyattHopper
I could SWEAR it said Moet and Chandon in tiny print below the label...

It was good, that is for sure!

I will check the brand for you at 6pm today. :)

As I was upgraded to RC room (on the 8th floor), my access to the lounge was no problem. Interesting though, I received this message from the Reservation prior to check-in..."If is available at check in time, you will get an
upgrade to a Regency Club room. If not available you have acess to the Regency Club lounge and an upgrade to the next best available room." :cool:

Not to mention, if the hotel decides to extend the lounge invitation to Diamond members on non-RC floor even after 9/1, that is no problem for us. :D

Marriott Park Lane has been my choice of hotel in London, but this Churchill might be a new winner. Although Marriott has way better gym and swimming pool. RC concierge said they allow diamond members 2pm (or 3 at the latest) check-out.

lalala Sep 14, 2004 12:20 pm

Churchill staff was fantastic. Taller half told Gitta on the front desk that she should transfer to the PH Vendome and give them lessons in guest relations. :)

Even Taller half said that she would stay there again and she's quite partial to the Royal Horseguards.

lala

Flyer Jon Sep 16, 2004 11:04 am

Stayed for 4 nights over UK August Bank Holiday weekend.

No problem with Diamond upgrade to RC level. I produced my suite upgrade cert and RC concierge said that I could use it, but the available suite was not yet ready for occupancy. I was prepared to wait, however, she suggested that I occupy the original room and move once it was ready -- now that is service!

Overall my son and I had an excellent experience.

In 2005, the hotel will probably be given the funds to refurbish. It does need some work, but the employees more than make up for any frayed carpet!

Great location, close to Marks & Spencers and Selfridges food halls

lalala Sep 16, 2004 12:18 pm

post office across portman square was a plus for us on this trip!

lala

divaof travel Nov 29, 2004 2:21 am

Brilliant Diamond treatment here! I am currently in the hotel, and have been upgraded to a suite for the second time in a week on FFNs. The first time last week, they accomodated us with a 2 bedroom suite for a total "cost" of one FFN. And no problem checking in at 9 AM. Club access was provided without question, as well as the amenity. (BTW, it seems that you could use the club anyway, as no key is required, and nobody asks for your room number.)

But $50 for parking (no in and out) and $40 fish and chips for two (outside of the hotel) reminds me that the class system is still enforced here with economics. (One order of fish and chips via room service is $42!!!)

mauld Nov 29, 2004 5:47 am

Great to hear Diamonds are still treated well at this property!! I'll be there this Sat (capping my double EQM for 1K at UA + my final # 25 STAY at Hyatt for '05 Diamond status + my 3rd FFN for current promo :D --not to mention this stay will be on the 'old' FFN promo (graciously extended by GP). And while I've never received a suite, a nice room on the RC floor close to the lounge suits me just fine for my one night quasi Hyatt/UA run :cool:

mauld Dec 6, 2004 5:30 am

Hyatt London did not dissappoint!

I stayed this past Sat night at the Hyatt Churchill on a FFN. . I arrived at the hotel around 9:30 am and immediately went to the front desk on the main floor with the assumption I was not going to get an RC room. (The day before I left I checked Hyatt's website, and it appeared the hotel was sold out-- so I was prepared to NOT get an RC room). They told me unfortunately my room wasn't ready---but the good news was that I was upgraded to a suite!! (I still thought no RC for me). I left my luggage and walked over to Bond street to do some shopping. I arrrived back to the hotel around 12:30 and was given my room key (Room 934), a suite on the RC Floor :) . Here are some pics:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=xcyf847...j&x=0&y=a97em3

So not only during a sold out period, but on a free night, Hyatt Churchill knows how to treat Diamonds! After a quick drink in the bar (9gbp) and a calling card phone call home (1.5gbp)-- my total bill (on my MasterCard, of course--for an ongoing FFN) came to a whopping 10.5 gbp or US$21 :D

thesilb Dec 6, 2004 9:52 am

I have leaned away from this hotel after staying at the property in 11/03 when it was still an Intercontinental, because I had perhaps the worst mattress ever in any hotel, period. I have some back problems and I really need good support. Can any of you who have stayed there comment on the mattresses - did they seem new? are they properly firm / not sagging? I am wondering if Hyatt replaced them on taking over.

PSGlenn Jan 6, 2005 7:53 pm

Thanks for this info on the Churchill! I loved the Carlton Tower when it was a Hyatt and ALWAYS stayed there when I was in London. Have been using Marriott since Hyatt lost CT. Now I've just booked 3 nights next month at the Churchill and am interested after reading all of these great comments about the property and the staff.

The staff ALWAYS seems to make or break a property. Example, Hyatt Waikiki. The Staff, especially the RC staff, make the property special.

I'll give my report back once I've returned from my trip in mid February.

Thanks

Richelieu Jan 7, 2005 1:03 am

Last time I was there, the bed were standard Hyatt bed, IIRC.

RichardInSF Jan 8, 2005 5:37 pm

I'm in the hotel now and the room I am in (as a Diamond, I was upgraded to a nice suite) has clearly been remodeled recently. About the only things they didn't do are upgrade the shower or add extra electric plugs convenient to the desk. They provided an extension cord when I asked but there really should be one automatically provided in each room.

I would definitely stay here again, but peeping into the regular rooms, they look rather smallish. So it's correct to brand this hotel as a HR, rather than a GH or PH.

Parking is a major problem but it is going to be a major problem anywhere close to Oxford St. At least they have a parking lot underneath, although it doesn't seem to be run by the hotel. And yes, the posted sign does say GBP25 a day with no mention of in-and-out privileges for guests.

The hotel is a few blocks inside the congestion charging area, so if you arrive or leave during the day M-F, you will have to pay that fee too.

Steph58 Jan 10, 2005 9:29 am

Looks like everyone gets upgraded to a suite on FFNs but me. Normally I would never even bother to ask with FFNs, but I'd read here it was a common occurrence so I sent an e-mail prior to my stay the end of Sept. Mentioned that it was my mother's 74th birthday, and I even offered to use my Diamond suite upgrade cert. Received a reply that they would upgrade us. When we arrived they absolutely wouldn't do it--said not on FFNs. I had the cert but not the e-mail or name of the person who confirmed. This was the last stop at the end of a 21-day marathon trip through Europe, so I didn't press the issue since by that point I was exhausted. Received a room on the RC floor with 2 very comfortable twin beds and view of trees in the park across the street. Room was nice enough and big enough for 2--like they say, we weren't in the room much anyway. Nice RC and very helpful staff. Also, paid for a 60-minute card for internet access on their computers in the lobby. For some reason, the time never got deducted each time I used it, so I considered that a perk. My mother enjoyed the fruit basket--especially that hairy looking fruit from Thailand.

RichardInSF Jan 10, 2005 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I'm in the hotel now and the room I am in (as a Diamond, I was upgraded to a nice suite)

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Did you ask for an upgrade at check in or was it just by chance? I am going to have a 3 night stay in March on FFN.

I didn't ask, but I also wasn't on FFNs, it was a paid stay.
They don't seem to have many suites, maybe only 2-3 per floor, at the ends of the hallway that's in front of you when you come off the elevator. So there aren't that many to upgrade to in the first place.

Oneworld_Flyer Jan 10, 2005 4:38 pm

Just returned from a UK/France trip including a 5 night stay (Regency Club King) at the Churchill. The RC concierge informed me the hotel was still part way through a renovation, but despite this it remains a good quality hotel, seemingly orientated toward business travellers. Friendly and warm service experienced in every encounter with staff, and very efficient housekeeping. (Leaving my room at 4pm, returning at 6 to find room made up and amenities restocked.)
Most cab drivers aren't aware of it's new moniker, so refer to it as the Churchill on Portman Sq. and you'll be fine.