Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Originally Posted by Winniesbestfriend
Thanks for the reply. I feel a bit more confident about booking now as some reports on Tripadvisor haven’t been exactly glowing.
I was surprised to hear this since I also checked out Tripadvisor before we stayed there, and I've just had a look now. I see what you mean - there are a couple of recent negatives. On the other hand though, I often find FlyerTalk reviews more informative than TripAdvisor's, perhaps because FlyerTalk folk on a specific hotel's forum often have similar expectations and experience with the chain. I can assure you that I'm pretty exacting with hotels, and I've stayed in many hotels in London over the years and this was one of the best for us, up there with Conrad (if you ever do Hiltons). For the most part, the staff were great, and although we experienced an isolated noise incident, the staff jumped right on it, and offered us the chance to switch rooms (didn't take it). Rooms were very comfortable with all the things you need to sleep well, good beds, good blackout curtains etc. We followed our London trip with one to Budapest, where the lounge food and the staff service in the supposedly best Hilton the Castle one, were of a completely different (and regrettably lower) stay than the Churchill.

Look forward to hearing your take and hope your trip is good.

Last edited by yaromac; Nov 28, 2018 at 1:48 pm
Old Nov 28, 2018, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH: Diamond, WofH: Globalist, UA: 1k, Longterm member only post when I have something new to ask/say
Originally Posted by jameswes
Just curious if anyone has experience with both - for a globalist traveling with two children, planning to use a TSU, would you recommend HR Churchill or Andaz Liverpool?
First time to London, planning to do touristy things. Not planning on a car. For the dates I'm looking at in March, both hotels are similarly priced.

I echo what the poster above said about the Churchill location being better for you with two children than the Andaz. Mine enjoyed both the walk to KP and the walk along Oxford Street. Amazing selection of middle Eastern restaurants steps away from the hotel too (hummus to die for) and very child friendly. My kids are well schooled in the art of being extremely well behaved in hotel lounges (from when they were very young it was behave or back to the room) but it was still a great relief to know that if someone didn't want to see or hear children they had another lounge to go to. I wish more Hyatts did this but it's a first for me to see it this way.

Uber is alive and well in London by the way, for when you want to get the kids directly to the tourist attraction. We never waited more than a couple of minutes.
SeeTheLights likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, World of Hyatt
If I am already booked for this weekend (Sunday +) and already have a confirmed suite upgrade is there anyone I should ping to request a special room?
I have stayed there before with a suite and been happy but am not sure if I am missing out.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by DaveLP
If I am already booked for this weekend (Sunday +) and already have a confirmed suite upgrade is there anyone I should ping to request a special room?
I have stayed there before with a suite and been happy but am not sure if I am missing out.

The only this is remember floor up to and including 5 are renovated so check your floor I gave up a larger suite for a renovated room and frankly was happy.

Just saying
DaveLP likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Will be staying here next month...does anyone know what floors are renovated now and which haven't been?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Will be staying here next month...does anyone know what floors are renovated now and which haven't been?
first four floors balance will be later and from what the GM told me will be a bit different. I have stayed in the renovated rooms and find them very nicely done even opting for a smaller king renovated over a small suite on the upper floors. The lounges will not be none until those floors are renovated
G-CIVC and MarkP24 like this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:08 pm

Is this hotel into nickel and diming people? We will be staying here at the end of the month for three nights. We are Explorists and used club access award on points for the first night. The other two nights, we used TY points--prepaid travel agency rate(?). I emailed the hotel asking 1. to connect our two reservations; 2. for a renovated room; and 3. if we can have the lounge access for all three nights.

The hotel responded by saying that they will give us a "refurbished" room (is refurbished same as renovated in this hotel? Or, are they offering something less than what I requested?) AND will sell the lounge access for the other two nights for 60 GBP per night. We are fine without the lounge access (I was hoping the hotel would extend it to our prepaid stay since one club access award should be good for seven nights, but wasn't expecting it), but I am somewhat taken aback by the response. A simple "no" would have been fine. However, their eagerness to sell the lounge access for the other two nights made me wonder about the hotel.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:52 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by boracat
Is this hotel into nickel and diming people? We will be staying here at the end of the month for three nights. We are Explorists and used club access award on points for the first night. The other two nights, we used TY points--prepaid travel agency rate(?). I emailed the hotel asking 1. to connect our two reservations; 2. for a renovated room; and 3. if we can have the lounge access for all three nights.

The hotel responded by saying that they will give us a "refurbished" room (is refurbished same as renovated in this hotel? Or, are they offering something less than what I requested?) AND will sell the lounge access for the other two nights for 60 GBP per night. We are fine without the lounge access (I was hoping the hotel would extend it to our prepaid stay since one club access award should be good for seven nights, but wasn't expecting it), but I am somewhat taken aback by the response. A simple "no" would have been fine. However, their eagerness to sell the lounge access for the other two nights made me wonder about the hotel.
Yes, refurbished is the same as renovated at this hotel.

As to your other complaint, are you really unhappy because the hotel, instead of flatly turning you down for club access for the remaining two nights, instead gave you an OPTION to buy it? Clearly a case of "no good deed goes unpunished."
Old Feb 11, 2019, 9:06 pm

Thanks for clarifying that refurbished is same as renovated at this hotel!
And yes, I am not sure whether it was the wording on the email, or what not, but yes, I would have rather received a simple "I am sorry ... NO" than an over eagerness to sell--I did not feel like giving me the option to buy in the same sentence as "we cannot apply Club Lounge Access ..." was a good deed. But then again, it may just be me. Thanks for the quick response.

Last edited by boracat; Feb 11, 2019 at 9:20 pm
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:51 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Over the years I've seen this hotel only improve with a sense of cooperation upgrading guests and especially those that have been coming for years
I've not seen them play games at all
However the rules are pretty clear with benefits on eligible rates and non eligible rates
When you use the term prepaid rate in advance I'll assume an ineligible rate
Unless prepaid non refundable booked through direct booking channels Hyatt.com or Hyatt reservations its not technically not eligible if you prepay
In that case the hotel fairly advised you its available for a nominal up charge which I think is more than fair. If you are two and consume a fair amount it can make good sense
Personally i enjoy Montagu for breakfast in the lobby way more than the lounge

When I brought a third guest recently to Hyatt for breakfast when I am only eligible for 2
I paid for the 3rd guest at checkout. I don't assume the hotel should be picking up my additional guests even though I've been coming regularly for 20 years
Some upper management folks have been known to waive the up charges but there has to typically be a reason
With email you are typically dealing with the front lines and or reservation agents and they are trained to follow the rules as expected and communicate as such
Enjoy your stay.I'm there in April
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:20 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
And yes, I am not sure whether it was the wording on the email, or what not, but yes, I would have rather received a simple "I am sorry ... NO" than an over eagerness to sell--I did not feel like giving me the option to buy in the same sentence as "we cannot apply Club Lounge Access ..." was a good deed. But then again, it may just be me. Thanks for the quick response.
If have you ever travelled much you should know that hotel staff are generally trained to never use the word "no" ever.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:55 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
... will sell the lounge access for the other two nights for 60 GBP per night.
It makes more sense to use your club access certificate for the two-night stay (instead of the one-night stay).

It might be worthwhile to call Hyatt reservations (instead of the hotel directly) to ask if the two reservations can be combined.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Over the years I've seen this hotel only improve with a sense of cooperation upgrading guests and especially those that have been coming for years
I've not seen them play games at all
However the rules are pretty clear with benefits on eligible rates and non eligible rates
When you use the term prepaid rate in advance I'll assume an ineligible rate
Unless prepaid non refundable booked through direct booking channels Hyatt.com or Hyatt reservations its not technically not eligible if you prepay
In that case the hotel fairly advised you its available for a nominal up charge which I think is more than fair. If you are two and consume a fair amount it can make good sense
Personally i enjoy Montagu for breakfast in the lobby way more than the lounge

When I brought a third guest recently to Hyatt for breakfast when I am only eligible for 2
I paid for the 3rd guest at checkout. I don't assume the hotel should be picking up my additional guests even though I've been coming regularly for 20 years
Some upper management folks have been known to waive the up charges but there has to typically be a reason
With email you are typically dealing with the front lines and or reservation agents and they are trained to follow the rules as expected and communicate as such
Enjoy your stay.I'm there in April
Thanks! If you have any restaurant recommendation in the area, I'd really appreciate it.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
It makes more sense to use your club access certificate for the two-night stay (instead of the one-night stay).

It might be worthwhile to call Hyatt reservations (instead of the hotel directly) to ask if the two reservations can be combined.
Thanks, but the hotel already combined our two reservations. I could only use the club access certificate on the first one, since that is the one we are staying with points. And after posting here, I am totally fine with the way things are. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
Thanks! If you have any restaurant recommendation in the area, I'd really appreciate it.
I love the Pakistani restaurant walking distance to the hotel called Zayna. Its on New Quebec St (which is right behind the Churchill). Also, there is a great breakast/brunch placed called the Grazing Goat this is also on New Quebec. Its attached to a small B&B type hotel. We stay at the Churchill a few times and year and love it. Hotel is great to Globalists and with the renovation, it is top notch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.