Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 3, 06, 10:01 pm

London Hotels and Hyatt

There are so many great hotels in London - why stay at one under renovation? The Four Seasons Canary Wharf is contemporary, stylish, modern and very service-oriented. I also like the Metropolitan which has sharp service and smart rooms. The new InterContinental across the street from the Metropolitan should be a terrific choice as soon as renovations are completed there. IC closed it down for almost a year to completely overhaul the hotel. London is not a good Hyatt city.
Old Nov 3, 06, 11:41 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have been staying there because they have been upgrading me to a suite every time. But as I noted above, my last two experiences were less than ideal, and the continued lack of response to my email is very troubling.

Also, one thing the Hyatt has going for it over the 4S is location. Portman Square is way better than Canary Wharf.

Currently, London hotels give the least value for money of any major city in the world (except possibly for Moscow, which I don't visit). In other words, you get less hotel for your pound in London than anywhere else, especially if you are getting those pounds by converting USD.
Old Nov 4, 06, 8:03 am

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by thesilb
I am typing this from the business center of the Churchill right now...Diamond amenity was a full bottle of wine, fruit and nice card. They had already UG'ed us to regency club - and let us upgrade further to a X23 suite with the Diamond suite cert (I have not once in many stays been told "no" to using a suite cert here). Fantastic dinner last evening in Montagu's, to boot. Sommalier led us to a great french pinot, food was terrific and that sticky toffee pudding...the best in town. This hotel really does not disappoint.
How much was the bus. center computers? I am not going to lug a laptop next weekend unless forced.

lala
Old Nov 5, 06, 10:08 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am pleased to report that I finally got an answer from the GM in which he apologized and said he had highlighted this issue to staff so it wouldn't happen again. I'm satisfied with the reply, though not spectacularly so.

This is a HR, not a GH or PH, so I guess one shouldn't really expect outstanding service. It's a decent hotel, but it's definitely time that a major city like London had a PH.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Nov 7, 06 at 9:08 pm Reason: typo
Old Nov 7, 06, 10:50 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by pdx42
There are so many great hotels in London - why stay at one under renovation? The Four Seasons Canary Wharf is contemporary, stylish, modern and very service-oriented. I also like the Metropolitan which has sharp service and smart rooms. The new InterContinental across the street from the Metropolitan should be a terrific choice as soon as renovations are completed there. IC closed it down for almost a year to completely overhaul the hotel. London is not a good Hyatt city.
Remember that the Hyatt there was an older IC hotel.
The Hyatt Regency Churchill folks have done a brilliant job with the lobby and food and beverage outlets in the hotel. Though the rooms were certainly overdue for some updating.
The bed was excellent and I slept very well something I don't easily do when traveling to int destinations.

The HR Churchill Hotel also has one of the top 5 Regency Club teams I have witnessed in all my years with Hyatt.Hopefully that hasn't changed.
If the renovation is a creating a problem that might be a serious consideration to switch properties depending on the situation.

My stay last January exceeded all or most of my expectations.
I only hope next year I can be as positive after the stay

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 7, 06 at 7:58 pm
Old Nov 7, 06, 12:18 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by pdx42
Ditto 777 global mile hound's comments. I really enjoy the people and service on the RC floor and club. With only one exception in more than 20(?) stays there, since Hyatt took over, I've been very pleased. So far, they've done a pretty good job of isolating the renovations. Nonetheless, for the next few months, YMMV.
Old Nov 10, 06, 9:18 am

Programs: BAGold,AA3MMPlat,UA1MMGold,FBSilver,MarriottAmb,AccorPlat,HHGold,ICPlatAmb, HyattDiscoverist
I received 4 apples, a full bottle of wine (which I left there) and note.
I do think the renovated rooms are an improvement, but I join in the coment above about lack of drawer--or shelf--space. I was glad to see that dreary plaid disappear, but after I saw the drapes closed, I was not convinced the fabric choice was any improvement at all.
I agree it's too bad about the bathroom size. I also think they should have realized most people are right-handed and to compound the problem the toilet paper holder is not at the right height. (Of course, I might have been given a special left-handed room!) I also think putting a master switch on only one side of the bed is a design flaw.
I do like most of the RC staff, and appreciate the care they take of me.
As for the hotel itself, concierge desk downstairs is still in need of improvement. I asked one of them where the nearest WH Smith was, and he told me Bond St. shopping center. I thought how silly I was not to have noticed it before. Turns out there's a reason I never did; a subsequent session with the phone book led me to conclude he possibly meant Baker St. (or perhaps it WAS there and then moved?)
I am fond of the RC staff, but, since most of my stays are on weekends, when London hotel deals are often plentiful, I'm not all that inclined to stay there in non-FF periods. I recently priced a weekend there in December, and it came in at 228 GBP, plus VAT. I'm finding better rates elsewhere in locations more convenient for my plans.
Old Nov 10, 06, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by rfrost
I received 4 apples, a full bottle of wine (which I left there) and note.
I do think the renovated rooms are an improvement, but I join in the coment above about lack of drawer--or shelf--space. I was glad to see that dreary plaid disappear, but after I saw the drapes closed, I was not convinced the fabric choice was any improvement at all.
I agree it's too bad about the bathroom size. I also think they should have realized most people are right-handed and to compound the problem the toilet paper holder is not at the right height. (Of course, I might have been given a special left-handed room!) I also think putting a master switch on only one side of the bed is a design flaw.
I do like most of the RC staff, and appreciate the care they take of me.
As for the hotel itself, concierge desk downstairs is still in need of improvement. I asked one of them where the nearest WH Smith was, and he told me Bond St. shopping center. I thought how silly I was not to have noticed it before. Turns out there's a reason I never did; a subsequent session with the phone book led me to conclude he possibly meant Baker St. (or perhaps it WAS there and then moved?)
I am fond of the RC staff, but, since most of my stays are on weekends, when London hotel deals are often plentiful, I'm not all that inclined to stay there in non-FF periods. I recently priced a weekend there in December, and it came in at 228 GBP, plus VAT. I'm finding better rates elsewhere in locations more convenient for my plans.
You bring up a good point about the downstairs service experience. The upstairs Regency Club team and others throughout is all Hyatt International direction with regard to hiring and training of team members.
Some of those downstairs folks like the concierge and others to my understanding are leftover from past Inter-Continental before the Hyatt takeover
Some of those guest behavior skills are from a whole different culture and era.
I too noticed a slight disconnect though not enough to affect the outstanding experience in the Regency Club and the downstairs dining experience which was brilliant.
Most of my encounters were overwhelmingly positive including some of those from the former regime.Sorry to hear about some of the disappointments after such a major costly renovation. Sounds like there is still fine property here overall to look forward to
Old Nov 13, 06, 5:35 am

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
I had a great stay. I checked in upstairs and was greeted by the always friendly and absolutely stunning Adriana. It was 866, which is right next to the main entrance way, but for some reason worked much better than usual. I wouldn't stay on the front side of the building until the construction across the way is completed, in say, 2009.

Very noisy starting early in the morning.

The RC staff was excellent as usual.

Breakfast was great, I sort of nibbled both nights, but nothing out of the world great except for the cheese selections. You all know how much I looove cheese.

I have four issues with the rooms --

1. I hate the bathtubs. I keep on thinking I'm going to kill myself getting out. I don't understand the british bathtub and I lived here as a child.

2. No alarm clock by the bed. I could have Christie call me, but instead Adriana found me a clock. She just suggested that I still ask for a wake up call. Funny thing, when I got it and sounded groggy, the wake up guy asked if I wanted him to call me back in 20 minutes. I liked that.

3. Lack of art on the walls, just above the new tvs. The wall is so bare. I like the tvs okay, I guess, but I want to see something else. It would be very cool if they had mounted the tvs on the walls and then did something like gallery player where it displayed art when the tv wasn't on.

4. The safes are still tiny. Why can't they put in a safe for the laptop (standard, not the widescreen variety).

Other than that, another great stay, my cheese was well refrigerated, the apples outside by the regency club were a good foil and I slept very well.

lala
Old Nov 13, 06, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by lalala
I had a great stay. I checked in upstairs and was greeted by the always friendly and absolutely stunning Adriana.
My family and business associates admire Adriana and a number of her colleagues.
It is team members like this that personify what the real "Hyatt Touch" is all about.
Good to know we may still see her and her fellow team members on my next trip
Thanks for the trip report ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Nov 14, 06 at 7:30 am
Old Nov 14, 06, 3:21 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I checked out yesterday . . . but I had been given one of the "old" rooms on the RC floor. RC staff, as ususal, was very good. I was just there over the weekend so I had no construction noise issues . . . although I did get a 5:30AM wake-up call that was NOT requested. I will be back next week end and have requested a renovatated room . . . we'll see.
Old Nov 14, 06, 11:42 am

FYI, they are closing the lounge on November 22, 2006 and redoing that and the other rooms on that floor.

Lounge will be on the 2nd floor and my guess would be that I would opt for another floor during construction if I was on vacation.

The Great Eastern officially becomes a hyatt in January 2007.

Great if you are a erm, banker.

lala
Old Nov 14, 06, 12:12 pm

FYI, they are closing the lounge on November 22, 2006 and redoing that and the other rooms on that floor.

Lounge will be on the 2nd floor and my guess would be that I would opt for another floor during construction if I was on vacation.

The Great Eastern officially becomes a hyatt in January 2007.

Great if you are a erm, banker.

lala
Any idea how long the Regency Club will close for?
If that is the case I need to make other plans and rebook elsewhere at once.
Thanks
Old Nov 14, 06, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Any idea how long the Regency Club will close for?
If that is the case I need to make other plans and rebook elsewhere at once.
Thanks

Lounge is relocating, so you'll get the same stuff, just on the 2nd floor.

No idea, I would think 3 months tops.

lala
Old Nov 14, 06, 3:10 pm

Lounge is relocating, so you'll get the same stuff, just on the 2nd floor.

No idea, I would think 3 months tops.

lala
I was a told a temporary lounge just as you correctly indicated will open on 2
I called Hyatt customer service who knew nothing except the renovation dates and the agent wanted to guess as to if the Regency Club would be open by looking at rooms available by date and if the club rooms were for sale.......
However after declining that opportunity (they didn't want to bothered calling the hotel) I contacted a fairly reliable source directly at the hotel
The official new Regency Club will not reopen until sometime this coming summer.
What the temporary digs will be like in comparison in the interim will be interesting to hear.
And I eagerly await any updated information from our community on the temporary RC set up after the 22 of Nov

This makes my interest in Faster Free Night interest wane considerably with my two Park Hyatt’s of choice history and now the Regency Club in London experience that could easily be affected due to the numerous ongoing disruptions with the renovation process.
Part of the experience is having a civilized experience walking a few doors down to your room or perhaps one floor below to the RC........

I will have to wait and see.......
Thank you for your very helpful and timely post ^
I have 4 tickets on hold to London and I may cancel them and consider rebooking later until which time some helpful posters might share us the latest heads up on what to expect.
I trust the exceptional team there but do not have a clue how it will come down with the latest change......The upside is I am sure it will be excellent in the year or two ahead once they get everything into place
Cheers

Search this Thread
Search Engine: