Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 16, 06, 3:03 am

Programs: UA Global Services 2.92+ MM, Hyatt Globalist
Current stay didn't start as well as last time...

I checked into the Churchill two nights ago and was told by the very young and inexperienced dude at the front desk "I see you are a Diamond but since we are sold out we don't have any rooms on the Club floors and the Club will be too crowded to give you access." STRIKE ONE. I was a bit surprised, but figured that my luck was bad this time! I did mention to note in my record that I would prefer both access and a room change if something opened up during my 5 night stay.

As luck would have it, it got worse. The television didn't work and the Internet connection was down! The engineer was able to fix the Internet problem, but told me that he would have to change the TV, and couldn't do that until morning. I spoke with the Assistant Manager, and she informed me that we couldn't move, but maybe we could the next day. STRIKE TWO.

While I was at a breakfast meeting the next morning, my wife was awakened at 9AM by banging from construcution in the room above ours. STRIKE THREE.

One discussion with the daytime manager and concierge on duty had us moved to one of the Presidential Suites!

Bad night to start, but property comes through again!!! --> ^
Old Oct 18, 06, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
staying at the Churchill tonight in one of the new rooms.. I must say its a HUGE improvement from before... much nicer and very classy looking rooms... Much better value than before... Now I'm actually happy paying around 160 pounds for a night compared with before... just a few things that still needs to be done.. the phones are the old ones.. they haven't bothered to change them.. I guess they will wait till all the rooms are complete first. Fixed line internet isn't working so have to use wireless, and the signal is rather weak in my room.. bathroom while much nicer now is still small, but can't be helped I guess...

Besides that, I love the new rooms and the new room smell.. ^
Old Oct 20, 06, 3:23 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Renovated rooms at Hyatt Churchill: Not ready for prime time

I've read one other review of the renovated rooms at the Hyatt Churchill, London, in the last thread I started on this hotel. That review from Tfung was quite positive.

I just checked into a suite here (room 661) and my experience is the opposite. All sorts of things had to be fixed before the room was tolerable: there was no fridge (not even a minibar, the drinks for sale were just scattered about on a cabinet), a number of the lamps in the room didn't work, and the internet was flaky. Additionally, coming back from dinner tonight, all the guest lifts were down and someone suggested I walk up six floors (not very practical when wearing a cast).

Overall regarding the quality of the renovation, I find it rather disappointing. Yes, it's to an average HR standard, and yes, there are now smallish plasma TVs in the rooms, but given how much scaffolding was around the hotel during the project, I was hoping for REAL improvements -- such as converting the claustrophobic shower stall in the suites to something more reasonably sized. Instead, the renovation appears to be primarily limited to repainting followed by changing the furniture and carpet.

Note that they have apparently postponed refurbishing thde other half of the hotel, so that half of the rooms are old and half are new. I'd still prefer a new room over the old, provided the facilities in the room actually worked, but don't expect to be wowed even in that case.
Old Oct 20, 06, 3:46 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Interesting. I have a stay in November (2 nights) and three in December. We may move our December stays if the November one is not up to par.

Is the scaffolding all over the hotel?

Seriously, you can't look out?

lala
Old Oct 21, 06, 3:01 am

The scaffolding is gone, but the suite they have given me has an interior view and I can't see much anyhow.

Amazingly, especially given the last thread I started, I awoke this morning (Saturday) to the sound of construction! Maybe the job isn't finished even if the scaffolding is gone.

Hopefully by the time you get here, they will have finally gotten everything working although from this particular room I can hear all sorts of sounds from the hallway. That probably isn't fixable at this stage.

Edited to add: I just discovered that the drain in the shower isn't even close to keeping up with the flow, which caused me to stop sooner than I would have liked as there is no other drain in the bathroom and otherwise the new carpet would have doubtless been waterlogged!

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 21, 06 at 3:40 am
Old Oct 21, 06, 6:32 am
pdb

Originally Posted by tfung
staying at the Churchill tonight in one of the new rooms.. I must say its a HUGE improvement from before... much nicer and very classy looking rooms... Much better value than before... Now I'm actually happy paying around 160 pounds for a night compared with before... just a few things that still needs to be done.. the phones are the old ones.. they haven't bothered to change them.. I guess they will wait till all the rooms are complete first. Fixed line internet isn't working so have to use wireless, and the signal is rather weak in my room.. bathroom while much nicer now is still small, but can't be helped I guess...

Besides that, I love the new rooms and the new room smell.. ^
tfung, GBP 160 is a great rate. Was that a hyatt.com prepaid rate?

I was, frankly, disappointed with the new rooms. Previously, they had character; now, sterile white walls with little in the way of wall hangings. Corby pants press is missing. With the exception of the 1 draw in the night table, there is absolutely no draw space. (At least before the night table had 3 draws.) The bathrooms are better, but the fixtures are flimsy and not solidly installed (at least in the 2 rooms I recently stayed in) and the tub is still slippery, despite some built in non-skid bumps. I like the staff and the RC, and I have grown accustomed to the location, so I'll not likely change, but aside from a cleaner, more modern look, I'm not impressed with what they've done with the rooms. The renovated hallways look better, and I understand that the RC will be enlarged. Anyway, that's my tuppence.
Old Oct 21, 06, 3:28 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt, BonWhut?
Originally Posted by pdb
tfung, GBP 160 is a great rate. Was that a hyatt.com prepaid rate?

I was, frankly, disappointed with the new rooms. Previously, they had character; now, sterile white walls with little in the way of wall hangings. Corby pants press is missing. With the exception of the 1 draw in the night table, there is absolutely no draw space. (At least before the night table had 3 draws.) The bathrooms are better, but the fixtures are flimsy and not solidly installed (at least in the 2 rooms I recently stayed in) and the tub is still slippery, despite some built in non-skid bumps. I like the staff and the RC, and I have grown accustomed to the location, so I'll not likely change, but aside from a cleaner, more modern look, I'm not impressed with what they've done with the rooms. The renovated hallways look better, and I understand that the RC will be enlarged. Anyway, that's my tuppence.

Please tell me they have removed the english step in and kill yourself if you under 5' 5" tubs...

All I ask is the beds stay. They are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

lala
Old Oct 21, 06, 5:09 pm
pdb

Originally Posted by lalala
Please tell me they have removed the english step in and kill yourself if you under 5' 5" tubs...

All I ask is the beds stay. They are the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

lala
Sorry, kiddo. The tubs are new (with more functional hardware) but they are the same style, albeit now with a half glass splash guard, instead of curtains (water still flies out the back end of the tub).

On the other hand, the beds are marvelous. I'm not sure if they're different, as the beds were quite comfortable, pre-renovation. I agree that they are among the best I've slept in.
Old Oct 28, 06, 5:42 am

The "Presidential Suites" at the Hyatt Churchill

This weekend I was kindly upgraded to one of these rooms as a guilt offering for last weekend's problems. There have been other threads that didn't go into detail on the actual room, so let me cover it here.

Although it's possible to set up the area as one large presidential suite, in normal use there are 4 rooms designated as "Presidential Suites." Rather clever marketing idea. I am in 910, the others are 907, 908, and 909. They are on the side of the hotel not yet renovated but, as noted above, the renovation isn't that special. The view is the ugly view over the interior of the hotel.

The heat didn't work in my room and I needed to ask for an electric heater. Amenities are the same as other suites except there are large bottles of Moulton Brown in the bathroom. The shower and bath aren't that different from other suites. Pleasantly, however, lighting is adequate.

This room has a bedroom, living room, a guest toilet at the entry, and a full bathroom.

The room is a decent suite and, again, I appreciate the gesture on the part of the hotel, but I seriously doubt that the president of any country I would have heard of has stayed here recently.

There are about 6 steps up to access 908 and 910, so these two parts of the "presidential suites" are not really accessible.
Old Oct 28, 06, 7:01 am

Programs: AA 3MM CK, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, GP Courtesy Card, Marriott LT Titanium
Yes, I also saw the scafolding outside the hotel when I looked out of the window, but luckily it wasn't around the room which I was staying in.

Bathrooms are the same style, but everything is new and updated.. the splash guard is kinda useless, but I like them more than curtains... Given the size of the original bathrooms, they should really have gotten rid of the bathtubs and just installed showerstalls in the rooms.. would have made better use of the space..

Given that I don't usually look into the nitty gritty details like drawer space like the others here... I found that the room has been upgraded from maybe a 3 star room into a 4 star one now.. at least it feels nice to be inside the room, whereas before I much rather sit in the RC than in my own room! Its just kmuch more comfortable now...

160GBP is an association rate.. bet you they will jack up the rates across the board next year though...

Last edited by tfung; Oct 28, 06 at 7:08 am
Old Oct 28, 06, 9:51 am
pdb

Diamond Amenity...

Both times I stayed at the Churchill, earlier this month, my amenity was simply a bowl of 3 apples--no bottle of wine, no welcome back card. Has that changed as well?
Old Oct 29, 06, 1:44 am

I got the wine (half bottle), the card, and some minor food goodies both times this trip, plus 4 apples, so that didn't change for me.

Edited to add:
This morning, loudspeakers announcing an emergency came on and the hotel was evacuated for about 30 minutes. When the 'emergency' was cleared, there was a huge queue for the lifts (one of the three lifts has been out of order since my last stay here a week ago). I asked a hotel employee to provide access to the staff lifts. She said it was impossible, she didn't have authority to grant that. So I asked who did. "Only the GM," she replied.

"OK, give me the GM."

"It's Sunday and he's off."

So everyone waited in line while half of the available lifts or more were ruled off-limits (I have been on these lifts before). This strikes me as inexcusable behavior. I just emailed the GM about it.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Oct 29, 06 at 4:58 am
Old Oct 30, 06, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime 1K, AA ExPlat 2012 & Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum
I am typing this from the business center of the Churchill right now...Diamond amenity was a full bottle of wine, fruit and nice card. They had already UG'ed us to regency club - and let us upgrade further to a X23 suite with the Diamond suite cert (I have not once in many stays been told "no" to using a suite cert here). Fantastic dinner last evening in Montagu's, to boot. Sommalier led us to a great french pinot, food was terrific and that sticky toffee pudding...the best in town. This hotel really does not disappoint.
Old Nov 2, 06, 11:45 am

So far, no reply from the GM or anyone at the Churchill to my email. I got the email address from the duty manager so I know it's correct. This is disappointing. I will give it another week or so before following up with corporate.
Old Nov 2, 06, 5:41 pm

Programs: FAF, Hyatt <>, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
So far, no reply from the GM or anyone at the Churchill to my email. I got the email address from the duty manager so I know it's correct. This is disappointing. I will give it another week or so before following up with corporate.

This isn't good news at all. There is small DO next weekend in LON that I was planning on staying at the Churchill for. Please keep us updated.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: