Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 4, 14, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
There's one in the kitchen of the lounge. We had asked to see if we could reheat some cold stuff we got from Selfridges last night as we were out on Oxford while the evening canapes was going on. My wife came up rather sheepishly with two of the club lounge employees with full silver/plate/white napkin presentation of our food. That's service above and beyond!
Thank you Osakawino and Sam_goh on whether there is a microwave.
But Sam_goh I am afraid I did not understand your post above. Did you get to use the lounge microwave (in the kitchen)?

Osakawino, your posts are very informative. Thank you.

There are seldom microwaves in top hotel rooms (except in some suites such as Grand Hyatt Beijing, Andaz Fifth and more often ski lodges, in my experience) but I do find a microwave very helpful, not to heat up a substantial dish or a meal but for things like hot chocolate (!), reheating some tea (!) or soup, when one is up late, eg, jet-lagged. Or sometimes a small pastry. There is no reason to go through the trouble of ordering room service, which does not serve the purpose when you just want "a bite". I can understand that microwaves are not entirely necessary or consistent with the theme in a top hotel so they are not usually there. A microwave in the lounge does not help in the scenario of staying up late and need only a small bite but I asked the question since I was reading the suggestion of buying some food from Selfridges.
Old Jun 5, 14, 12:58 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by IncyWincy View Post
Thank you Osakawino and Sam_goh on whether there is a microwave.
But Sam_goh I am afraid I did not understand your post above. Did you get to use the lounge microwave (in the kitchen)?
Sam_goh might clarify, but what I believe he was saying was that the staff took the food back into the kitchen, warmed it up in the microwave, and then brought it out with plates, napkins, and cutlery.

As he said, it was an exceptional instance for them, and I would not think it is something anyone would want to do on a regular basis. The staff is very accommodating, although there are not many of them around after 8 pm or so. Food service closes at 7:30, but the lounge is open until 10 pm. We have gone over to Selfridges after 8 pm and gotten some fancy desserts at 70% off and brought them back to the lounge and asked for a pot of tea.

I have seen them offer a glass of wine to guests checking in after the food service had closed, but I have also seen them tell one such guest who asked for a refill that a second glass would have to be ordered through room service and paid for.

The base level suites, at least the ones on the 8th floor, are not well designed for in-room dining. There's no dining table, just a low coffee table, sofa and overstuffed chair. No room to wheel in a table from room service either, and only the one desk chair. If I were ordering room service, I would have it sent to the lounge and eat there; I've seen guests order a full meal from room service and have it sent to the lounge even during the evening food service hours.
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:07 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Ordering room service during lounge areas can be a great way to do room service on the cheap.

Re a microwave you could ask if it was possible to have one set up in the room, but I'm not sure the request would be granted on a short stay (I know someone got a full fridge/freezer but they stayed a few weeks/months)

When we travel and want to keep costs down, we tend to pack rice cakes, dried fruit and chocolate - maybe you can choose a small snack that doesn't require heating?
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
@IncyWincy - OsakaWino's interpretation is spot on. It was definitely a one off and the staff went out of their way to heat our dinner. I must say London is a really pricey place (as with Paris) for food. Even the M&S or Selfridge's Food Halls came to ~30 pounds for a small meal for 4.

@price123 - I hear ya'.... we packed 50 pounds of Kind Bars this time around. Figure 10 pounds a week
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:27 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
We arrive at the Churchill on June 13 for 5 nights with our 6.5 year old son, does anyone have any recommendations for a child friendly pub in the area?
thanks in advance.
Old Jun 5, 14, 10:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
I must say London is a really pricey place (as with Paris) for food. Even the M&S or Selfridge's Food Halls came to ~30 pounds for a small meal for 4.
Go to China Town. All you can eat buffets for 5-8pp. Late breakfast in hotel, early dinner at buffet and you're done.
Old Jun 5, 14, 11:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by price123 View Post
Go to China Town. All you can eat buffets for 5-8pp. Late breakfast in hotel, early dinner at buffet and you're done.
I would have said "Absolutely dreadful buffets for...." Food sits around in warmers for ages, tastes awful. I will eat all sorts of junk food but this stuff is so bad, I wouldn't go near it.

The usual algorithm is that what a dollar buys in the US, it takes a pound to buy in the UK. One exception: the Chipotle on Baker St charges MORE than that, a $6.75 burrito is around 8 pounds.

Fast, healthy, relatively inexpensive, food on Baker St (about 5 minutes walk) can be found at Itsu and Tossed. There are a Tesco and a Waitrose on Edgware road, a 7-10 minute walk.
Old Jun 6, 14, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I would have said "Absolutely dreadful buffets for...." Food sits around in warmers for ages, tastes awful. I will eat all sorts of junk food but this stuff is so bad, I wouldn't go near it.
Agreed but it's probably better than Burger King or similar.
TBH, we have got used to eating dinner in the lounge - we only pay for food when it's better than we can cook at home.
Old Jun 6, 14, 8:33 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
There are a Tesco and a Waitrose on Edgware road, a 7-10 minute walk.
There's also a Waitrose Marylebone High St; just about exactly the same distance as the one on Edgware Road.

The best food at the best cost that we had as a supplement for the evening lounge offerings were pates from Harrods food court. The prepared foods from Selfridges were nice but quite pricey for things like shrimp salads.
Old Jun 28, 14, 11:19 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I am presently at this property, on probably my 10th stay here in 2 years, always as DM. It just occurred to me that I have never been assigned a room facing Portman Square. I'm just curious if this is pure coincidence, or are the Portman Square-facing rooms a different category which they tend to refrain from assigning to DMs paying the lowest book able rate but receiving the RC floor privileges?
Old Jun 28, 14, 11:36 am

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Originally Posted by milehighj View Post
I am presently at this property, on probably my 10th stay here in 2 years, always as DM. It just occurred to me that I have never been assigned a room facing Portman Square. I'm just curious if this is pure coincidence, or are the Portman Square-facing rooms a different category which they tend to refrain from assigning to DMs paying the lowest book able rate but receiving the RC floor privileges?
Always ask for one. If you don't they will presume you don't care.
Old Jun 28, 14, 11:41 am

Programs: SQ PPS, BA Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Always ask for one. If you don't they will presume you don't care.
The truth is I don't particularly care. It only occurred to me when glancing at the escape floor plan. But I'll probably request one next time just for a change.
Old Jun 28, 14, 11:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by milehighj View Post
Yes, the Portman sq. view rooms are a higher category room - but Ive been here more times than I can count - ranging from award nights to C+P to full rack rate, etc.. and probably 80% of the time, I've had a Portman sq. view.

I do have it noted in my preferences that it the view rooms are my preference Last time I checked in they upgraded me to an interior facing suite and I turned it down in favor of the view.

A couple of things to consider:

Some of the rooms facing inward are actually larger than the view rooms.

A lot may also depend on your bed preference. If you have a king as your preference - and there are view twin rooms, they'll give you the interior view king.

Last edited by bdemaria; Jul 1, 14 at 11:42 pm
Old Jul 1, 14, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Just completed another 2 night stay. Service at this fine hotel is outstanding, especially from Club floor staff. We were a bit disappointed with the evening appetizer selections and the lack of any dry vermouth with which to make a Martini. We, like others, miss the made to order eggs in the morning, but the scrambled eggs that were offered were delicious.

The overall stay was great, however, and we will continue to stay there when visiting London.
Old Jul 2, 14, 9:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
Stayed here in late June for 3 nights on points and we were overlooking Portman Square on the club lounge floor.
Previously stayed in a non view room and will definitely request the view in future.
Portman Square garden is currently open to the public so it was lovely to walk through.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: