Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 28, 14, 11:34 pm
  #871  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,835
Also scrambling to select a car/min-van pickup in view of the second tube strike scheduled for next week. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 5:27 am
  #872  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Also scrambling to select a car/min-van pickup in view of the second tube strike scheduled for next week. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Within London, I would hail a cab or use Addison Lee for shortish journeys (the Mercedes service is often a good price through AL).

To/from airports, I would email Pete at chauffeured services: enquiry[at]chauffeuredservices.co.uk. Price should be 150 return to/from Heathrow for new Mercedes E class (if it comes up higher, mention me and rate should drop). I presume 1-way is around half the price. Always had great service and the drivers are mostly ex police professional drivers so excellent.
price123 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 5:30 am
  #873  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Also scrambling to select a car/min-van pickup in view of the second tube strike scheduled for next week. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Alternatively Prompt Airport Cars are bookable online, but drivers tend to be less good.
price123 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 7:28 am
  #874  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,835
Originally Posted by price123 View Post
Alternatively Prompt Airport Cars are bookable online, but drivers tend to be less good.
Thanks. Prompt comes in at 56, which is about 10-15 more than any of the others that I've been looking at, but that might be worth it if the second strike comes off as scheduled. I'm afraid chauffeured services are a bit out of my league.

My wife really wanted to take the HEX, but if the Connect is cancelled and the HEX is at half schedule I think it might get quite crowded, and then there's the possibility of a long taxi queu at Paddington.

Can't seem to find a lot of info on Prompt on the net, but if you recommend them, they might be worth a shot.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 7:52 am
  #875  
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Bristol, UK
Programs: Accor Silver, HH D, BA Silver
Posts: 5,279
Or consider using uber:

https://www.uber.com

Fairly new in London but good and popular
BotB is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 9:22 am
  #876  
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palo Alto, California,USA
Posts: 17,242
I've tried The Three Tuns and unlike an earlier poster, I found the food to be awful.

The same is true for the salt beef place (The Brass Rail) inside Selfridge's, but then there is no edible salt beef (corned beef) or pastrami in all of the UK as far as I can tell.

Regarding the tube strike, you should definitely plan for it to happen but bear in mind that many of these strikes are canceled at the last moment. As a backup, H'Ex doesn't come under the same union, so should be available if you can get to Paddington.
RichardInSF is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 9:27 am
  #877  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Thanks. Prompt comes in at 56, which is about 10-15 more than any of the others that I've been looking at, but that might be worth it if the second strike comes off as scheduled. I'm afraid chauffeured services are a bit out of my league.

My wife really wanted to take the HEX, but if the Connect is cancelled and the HEX is at half schedule I think it might get quite crowded, and then there's the possibility of a long taxi queu at Paddington.

Can't seem to find a lot of info on Prompt on the net, but if you recommend them, they might be worth a shot.
Prompt are fine - a number of people used them for the London Do in 2012. You generally get a Merc E, so better than most of the minicab services available at the 40 mark.
Taxi to Paddington is around 8. Single on the HEX is 21pp, so you're at 50 already. Convenience is lower with taxi+HEX but you have a better idea of how long it will take (usually).
price123 is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 11:04 am
  #878  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,835
Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post
I've tried The Three Tuns and unlike an earlier poster, I found the food to be awful.

The same is true for the salt beef place (The Brass Rail) inside Selfridge's, but then there is no edible salt beef (corned beef) or pastrami in all of the UK as far as I can tell.

Regarding the tube strike, you should definitely plan for it to happen but bear in mind that many of these strikes are canceled at the last moment. As a backup, H'Ex doesn't come under the same union, so should be available if you can get to Paddington.
Yes, I've been watching the current shutdown closely (or as closely as UK internet new allows, which seems like an 8+ hr time lag). I realise that next week has a god chance of being cancelled; if I were on my own with light luggage, I'd easily walk from Paddington, but with 2 suitcases filled with enough clothes for 3 weeks, we're a bit on the heavy side.

Thanks for the comment on the Three Tuns; we'll probably stick with the Grazing Goat. Most likely deluding myself, but thought we'd like to see some Brits in their own environment; precious few of them on Oxford St.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 11:09 am
  #879  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Osaka
Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Posts: 2,835
Originally Posted by price123 View Post
Prompt are fine - a number of people used them for the London Do in 2012. You generally get a Merc E, so better than most of the minicab services available at the 40 mark.
Taxi to Paddington is around 8. Single on the HEX is 21pp, so you're at 50 already. Convenience is lower with taxi+HEX but you have a better idea of how long it will take (usually).
As long as they don't bail on us or extra charge due to either it being a bank holiday or the tube strike.
OsakaWino is offline  
Old Apr 29, 14, 11:17 am
  #880  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Posts: 1,965
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
As long as they don't bail on us or extra charge due to either it being a bank holiday or the tube strike.
any extra charges are included on the quote page - e.g. on Christmas Eve, they put a special charge on.
price123 is offline  
Old May 29, 14, 10:40 am
  #881  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CVG
Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Posts: 1,465
Thank you all for the kind suggestions up thread. We have been here for the last few days and have quite enjoyed our stay. Room was not ready on arrival given that another Diamond was using their 4 pm checkout, so the hotel graciously put us up in a regular room till our suite was ready.

We're in one of the 90X suites which make up the presidential suite and it is pretty comfortable for our 2+2 family. Compared to the "regular" suites, this end location has a door/wall that completely shuts off the sitting area, which has been nice. The room does not have some of the amenities of the suite pictured a page above (TV in bathroom, rain shower). Probably could use an updating, the stone sink area hasn't been sealed properly in awhile and the hard water stains show even on the darker surface. Lovely balcony on the top floor though and also love the toiletries, nice stuff.

Room cleanings/turn downs have been great. Although 3 days in a row now we've had leftover soapy/dirty water in the sink bowl. Think cleaning crew stops it up to clean and forgets to unstop? Club lounge has been busy but not overly so. Food quality has been on the better end, especially compared to US clubs - salmon/pates/good quality cold meats, desserts, etc. Alcohol being gratis is also a plus, although we don't generally partake. Evening canapes hours have been great, no running out of food issues, staff also brings around extra side dishes and has been very friendly so far. There are two lounges here, but we have only gazed longingly at the adults-only one.

The location of the hotel is pretty good and we've been able to do a lot of sight seeing in the last few days. Wish the weather was better but typical wet/gloomy London? The posts about the food halls at Selfridges & Marks & Spencers are spot on. Nice variety of things to try. Roti Chai was also great, although we had a tough time ordering the music was so loud upstairs.

For airport transfer, we tried prompt with a minivan. Wasn't overly impressed, I ended up loading most of our luggage on both ends. Driver didn't seem keen to help. Cost about 62-67 pounds. The black cabs are pretty costly with the meters running. Seem happy to be stuck in traffic and keep charging. On the other hand, have been very impressed with Uber so far. Cheaper than black cab and will take all kind of side streets to get to location quickly. Only caveat here is that UberX seems hard to find, so have only done Execs so far.

We are enjoying our London visit and it may be that a return trip will be in order one day. Cost of living has got to be high here though, 50 pound lunches (for a family of 4) at even simple places is scary

Last edited by sam_goh; May 29, 14 at 10:53 am
sam_goh is offline  
Old May 29, 14, 10:48 am
  #882  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 726
Originally Posted by sam_goh View Post
Thank you all for the kind suggestions up thread. We have been here for the last few days and have quite enjoyed our stay. Room was not ready on arrival given that another Diamond was using their 4 pm checkout, so the hotel graciously put us up in a regular room till our suite was ready.

We're in one of the 90X suites which make up the presidential suite and it is pretty comfortable for our 2+2 family. Unlike the regular suites, this end location has a door/wall that completely shuts off the sitting area, which has been nice. Love the toiletries, nice stuff. Room cleanings/turn downs have been great. Although 3 days in a row now we've had leftover water in the sink bowl both times, think cleaning crew stops it up to clean and forgets to unstop?

Club lounge has been busy but not overly so. Food quality has been on the better end, especially compared to US clubs - salmon/pates/good quality cold meats, desserts, etc. Alcohol being gratis is also a plus, although we don't generally partake. Evening canapes hours have been great, no running out of food issues, staff also brings around extra side dishes and has been very friendly so far. There are two lounges here, but we have only gazed longingly at the adults-only one.

The location of the hotel is pretty good and we've been able to do a lot of sight seeing in the last few days. Wish the weather was better but typical wet/gloomy London? The posts about the food halls at Selfridges & Marks & Spencers are spot on. Nice variety of things to try. Roti Chai was also great, although we had a tough time ordering the music was so loud upstairs.

We are enjoying our London visit and it may be that a return trip will be in order one day. Cost of living has got to be high here though, 50 pound lunches (for a family of 4) at even simple places is scary
Thanks for the update on your stay. You are staying with two kids, are your kids over the age of 12? I have been told that the hotel will charge you an extra 50 GBP per day for kids staying with you that are 12+ in age.....

I'm staying at the Churchill in August with my 15 year old son and want to know if this extra charge per night is true?
PortlySpartacus is offline  
Old May 29, 14, 10:52 am
  #883  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Sacramento, CA
Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Posts: 3,776
Last year we stayed in a suite which had a balcony, but I can't remember on which floor. We are returning this year but just staying in a Club room but would like a balcony. Can anyone tell me which floor those are on? Also, are the rooms with the balconies smaller because of the space that the balcony takes up?

Thanks for any advice.
JIMCHI is offline  
Old May 29, 14, 11:08 am
  #884  
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Minnesota
Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Posts: 726
Originally Posted by JIMCHI View Post
Last year we stayed in a suite which had a balcony, but I can't remember on which floor. We are returning this year but just staying in a Club room but would like a balcony. Can anyone tell me which floor those are on? Also, are the rooms with the balconies smaller because of the space that the balcony takes up?

Thanks for any advice.
This is a cool tool to check out hotel room floor plans:
https://www.room77.com/floor_plan_st...3xGA&id=cHG0AR

I read recently, not sure if it was FT thread or elsewhere, that said balconies were on 9 and the balcony rooms were smaller.
PortlySpartacus is offline  
Old May 29, 14, 12:14 pm
  #885  
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: CVG
Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Posts: 1,465
Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus View Post
Thanks for the update on your stay. You are staying with two kids, are your kids over the age of 12? I have been told that the hotel will charge you an extra 50 GBP per day for kids staying with you that are 12+ in age.....

I'm staying at the Churchill in August with my 15 year old son and want to know if this extra charge per night is true?
No problems, yell if you have any more questions. My kids are 4 + 9, so I am unsure of the 50 GBP extra rate. When I originally tried to book this hotel, they wouldn't even consider 2 + 2 in any room, including the base suites. Think only an executive suite+ (and there's a royal) allow for that. None of which are bookable by points. It was only via GHP Europe, that they allowed a compromise and booked a regular suite noting our family in the notes.

Although, when we checked in, we were asked if we wanted to upgrade to an executive for 120 GBP a day extra to be more comfortable and it wasn't entirely clear to the check-in staff what the notes were. Our kids still sleep with us so rollaway or not it still would have been fine. If there are any extra charges at check-out I will update.

Re: balconies - it's only 9th floor. Regular suite rooms I believe are smaller too, but there are executive and higher suites here that have balconies that are very much bigger. Executive is nearly double (?) in size.
sam_goh is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: