Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 22, 13, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP - 8 MM, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
.. Have to say that the evening lounge last night was one of the worst I have ever experienced. Arrived at 6:30 and not a single place to sit. No wine glasses, no napkins. Incredibly poor food offerings. Some low-quality smoked salmon (much too salty), cheese, and chips. Very cheap wine. Places to sit opened up at around 7 and most of the food ran out. Rather than replace anything, they microwaved some frozen spring roles and passed them around...

I could not agree more. IMO this lounge is hardly worth a visit.
Old Apr 22, 13, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
The lounge tonight felt like we were in a different hotel. Only about one-third the number of guests compared with Saturday night. I still think the food and wine are sub-par, but I've always found that the taste of a cheap wine improves greatly in a pleasant and comfortable environment.

Some pros: Really good service in the lounge at breakfast. The food is nothing really special, but certainly adequate. Excellent housekeeping service, and really fast response to requests; asked for an extra box of tissues and it was brought in less than 5 minutes; there was only one pair of slippers, but a call brought a second pair again in less than 5 minutes; battery on the alarm clock was dead, and again response in less than 5 minutes; left a note asking for some extra hand towels because we find the bath towels too heavy, and correctly met each day without having to repeat the request. And great beds; very firm without being too hard.

So some pluses and some minuses.
Old Apr 22, 13, 3:53 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
I found the housekeeping 'hit and miss'......shampoo not replaced which was annoying once I was in the shower. Milk not replaced.
Off to Grand Hyatt Hong Kong in a couple of weeks - can hardly wait since that Club is my very favourite in the whole wide world I know there is constructiion noise but I think the bubbles from the first class champagne served there will help make up for it
Old Apr 23, 13, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by frogss29 View Post
I found the housekeeping 'hit and miss'......shampoo not replaced which was annoying once I was in the shower
Maybe the better housekeeping experience is because we're in a suite. Shampoo replaced every day, even though less than 1/4 used, so we've always had 2 full ones. Or maybe we just got lucky with the staff doing this section of this floor.

Funny you should mention the Grand Hyatt HK. I had a long talk with the regency club manager about the lounge (they approached me re my earlier comment here; I guess there are not too many guests here from Osaka right now). He said that they aspired to the quality level of the Hyatts in Asia, except that they could never reach the scale of the GH HK. I commented that I would just like to see the quality level of maybe the HR Incheon, an airport hotel (he winced at that), or maybe the HR Fukuoka, which is in a very provincial city.
Old Apr 23, 13, 1:11 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
I commented that I would just like to see the quality level of maybe the HR Incheon, an airport hotel (he winced at that), or maybe the HR Fukuoka, which is in a very provincial city.
Considering they winced at being compared to a lounge that puts theirs to shame shows the problem and tells me we should expect too much from the lounge at the Churchill. If only they could get it near to the Incheon lounge I'd be more than happy...
Old Apr 23, 13, 1:29 am

Maybe the better housekeeping experience is because we're in a suite. Shampoo replaced every day, even though less than 1/4 used, so we've always had 2 full ones. Or maybe we just got lucky with the staff doing this section of this floor.

Funny you should mention the Grand Hyatt HK. I had a long talk with the regency club manager about the lounge (they approached me re my earlier comment here; I guess there are not too many guests here from Osaka right now). He said that they aspired to the quality level of the Hyatts in Asia, except that they could never reach the scale of the GH HK. I commented that I would just like to see the quality level of maybe the HR Incheon, an airport hotel (he winced at that), or maybe the HR Fukuoka, which is in a very provincial city.
Weird they would aspire to that quality but are unable to reach it........have great staff, serve good food/decent wine and they would be able to achieve it!
Old Apr 23, 13, 1:39 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by frogss29 View Post
Weird they would aspire to that quality but are unable to reach it........have great staff, serve good food/decent wine and they would be able to achieve it!
Well I think it's partly a space issue, GH HKG is a lot more spacious at least with the relative number of people with club access.
Old Apr 23, 13, 2:18 am

Originally Posted by peteropny View Post
Well I think it's partly a space issue, GH HKG is a lot more spacious at least with the relative number of people with club access.
That is true.....and the view at GH HKG cannot be beaten

This was my first time at Hyatt Churchill London and I had expected something more 'wow' so had already set myself up for a fall.
It was OK. Just not anything special.
Old Apr 23, 13, 2:49 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, SPG LTP, Hyatt Dia, Hilton Dia
Indeed, but keeping half of your lounge closed is hardly going to help with space issues....
Old Apr 23, 13, 3:49 am

Yes, he mentioned the space difference from the GH HK limits the variety of the items that can be offered, and of course that is true, but it does not explain why there was absolutely no place to sit on Sat and again close to zero places on Sun when they have another completely empty room just across the hallway. And to my mind, it utterly fails to address the issue of the low quality of the food and wine. Maybe it's acceptable to Diamond members getting it as a perk, but would it be worth paying for? The rate difference for double occupancy between a Club Kind and View King (the next category down, which would be a more fair comparison than vs. the standard King) is about 84 GBP, the equivalent of US$130. That's a lot for a decent but not spectacular breakfast and a very mediocre evening service.
Old Apr 23, 13, 8:43 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
I am disappointed that the hotels new chef has made no positive changes. At one point around the time of the new lounge opening when they first started to serve hot canapés, there was an interesting selection each night and staff seemed proud to serve them. On our last couple of visits, the hot canapés in particular have been poor quality and uninspiring. We sent detailed feedback and suggestions to the hotel but it seems nothing has changed. I will try to bring this up with management prior to the do in October. I guess part the problem is that whilst club rooms and being sold and the club is busy, there is no incentive to change things. For us, the staff make the Churchill our home in London. However, the club lounge is an important benefit which is worth less than it used to be.
Old Apr 23, 13, 1:49 pm

A number of very slightly higher quality hors d'eouvres tonight, and the lounge was less than 1/4 full.

On a positive note, I like how they leave 1 bot each of still and sparkling water. We like sparkling, so this saves us the trouble to grab a bot from the lounge.
Old Apr 27, 13, 10:50 am

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
£179 advertised here...

http://www.secretescapes.com/hyatt-r...paign=20130424

The talk...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...179-night.html

[I have no connection with Secret Escapes or Hyatt.]
Old Apr 27, 13, 12:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Originally Posted by Firewind View Post
£179 advertised here...

http://www.secretescapes.com/hyatt-r...paign=20130424

The talk...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hotel...179-night.html

[I have no connection with Secret Escapes or Hyatt.]
I asssume that this rate wouldn't count as a stay or earn GP points?
Old Apr 27, 13, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, DL 500k, WoH 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Right you are.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: