Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Feb 18, 13, 8:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Not having your room available when told otherwise over the phone seems a big mistake by the hotel.... not sure what their responsibility is for the rest. Those women would probably like to see you gone as well :-).
Old Feb 18, 13, 8:57 am

Programs: AA,AS,BA,WN,Hyatt,Marriott
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Not having your room available when told otherwise over the phone seems a big mistake by the hotel.... not sure what their responsibility is for the rest. Those women would probably like to see you gone as well :-).
Having both lounges open would have helped the situation. And reporting the problem with the kids running might have resulted in some action. This hotel sure has been getting some negative reviews recently.
Old Feb 18, 13, 12:35 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think closing one of the lounges is very annoying, especially since it eliminates the adults-only lounge option. I like this hotel, have already booked my next stay, but remain quite disappointed with this practice.
Old Feb 18, 13, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Back at the Churchill and arrived earlier than check in yesterday with no request for early check in.My flight in First Class on British Airways was simply sensational in almost all regards
My confirmed suite on a revenue reservation was not ready and the hotel apologized profusely.I explained that there was no need to apologize as I was clearly earlier then check in time permits.Not to mention I always respect my fellow Diamonds to a late check out should my room or suite be occupied
I was prepared to walk around London and check my bags but the fantastic folks here at the Churchill checked me into a temporary small guest room which was a great touch while I waited and freshened up from my long journey
Less then a few hours I was in my sensational suite and off to a great start

I did have some problems with the wifi that cut in and out on day 1
Montagu was an improved experience with friendly can do service and excellent food
In the evening both lounges open but only one served food
In the morning both served food and the offerings were very good
Afternoon pastry of fruit tart was the best dessert ever experienced at this property
Morning had two types of hot eggs and bacon and a nice spread missing only cantelope which they substituted fruit salad in juice which I am not a fan of
Housekeeping is exceptional and all in all a solid stay from the great folks at the Churchill
Old Feb 18, 13, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
So you're not having any of the problems that numerous other posters have been having?
Old Feb 18, 13, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
So you're not having any of the problems that numerous other posters have been having?
Probably one of the best stays in years here with no dramas
Absolutely no problems whatsoever though some may be annoyed by the evenings food offerings offered in only one of the two lounges
The only thing I can think of that may bother some is the more recent policy change and removal of all beverages from In room mini bars
Word on the street is some guests are freaking out others delighted to have the free space
I believe in early conversation they are planning to fill bars by request only and custom order what folks want to order up
This might have bothered me had I been traveling with guests that didnt want to call up room service and wait
However most hours the club lounge is at your disposal for those who have access
Because I was traveling alone with my own bottled water I actually prefer this
Especially as I tend to come back from area restaurants and like to store leftovers
As always everything will be subjective good or bad in the eyes of the beholder

I can clearly say that the shining star at this property is Simona the asst manager of the front office.When there are challenges this is your go to person folks.She is up there with some of the best Hyatt associates anywhere in the world.Heres to hoping The Churchill keeps her onboard for a long time to come!
Old Feb 18, 13, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Glad to read your report 777. We're looking forward to a 9-night stay with a confirmed suite upgrade in April.

I'm assuming that both lounges will be open in the spring when there are more guests, but I think opening both lounges while serving food in only one is a big step up from closing the second lounge completely. As least that might allow us to get some food and drink and go find a quiet spot someplace.

Personally also happy to hear that the minibars are now empty. As light eaters, the evening service in the lounge will probably be almost, but not quite, enough for a meal. With the suite it will be nice to be able to stock a few goodies from the food halls at Selfridges, etc., in the empty minibar to supplement.
Old Feb 19, 13, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino View Post
Glad to read your report 777. We're looking forward to a 9-night stay with a confirmed suite upgrade in April.

I'm assuming that both lounges will be open in the spring when there are more guests, but I think opening both lounges while serving food in only one is a big step up from closing the second lounge completely. As least that might allow us to get some food and drink and go find a quiet spot someplace.

Personally also happy to hear that the minibars are now empty. As light eaters, the evening service in the lounge will probably be almost, but not quite, enough for a meal. With the suite it will be nice to be able to stock a few goodies from the food halls at Selfridges, etc., in the empty minibar to supplement.
I'm very glad you expanded I like being able to go to the quieter lounge
Just as you suspected take away the free handouts and one lounge is more packed then the other.Because all I typically drink is water I'm fine with the no frills lounge
The team members are not new and those who were are really getting polished in their professional behavior.As jaded as I am and liking the new hard room product and public areas of the new InterContinental in London with their fantastic beds the food and beverage combined with the team here have me reasonably hooked.still a solid choice for Diamonds and those willing to pay the price
Which can be steep at times.
If I speculate here I see the hotel as trying to cut costs depending on occupancy
I don't believe I have an issue with that as long as the basic offerings stay high in quality which I can clearly say is the case
On the other hand the mini bar though to my preference is a big work in progress and I believe they have to find a better balance at present despite my preference for what they have done
It should be a guest choice stocked or not stocked and a full list should me made available to the guest
If empty and no charge to stock what the guest personally desires while in house

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 19, 13 at 5:30 am
Old Feb 19, 13, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound View Post
I'm very glad you expanded I like being able to go to the quieter lounge
Just as you suspected take away the free handouts and one lounge is more packed then the other.Because all I typically drink is water I'm fine with the no frills lounge
The team members are not new and those who were are really getting polished in their professional behavior.As jaded as I am and liking the new hard room product and public areas of the new InterContinental in London with their fantastic beds the food and beverage combined with the team here have me reasonably hooked.still a solid choice for Diamonds and those willing to pay the price
Which can be steep at times.
If I speculate here I see the hotel as trying to cut costs depending on occupancy
I don't believe I have an issue with that as long as the basic offerings stay high in quality which I can clearly say is the case
On the other hand the mini bar though to my preference is a big work in progress and I believe they have to find a better balance at present despite my preference for what they have done
It should be a guest choice stocked or not stocked and a full list should me made available to the guest
If empty and no charge to stock what the guest personally desires while in house
Meaning no offense, are you sure you only drink water?

Your positive outlook is always appreciated; sometimes forgotten by those of us still struggling down here in the muck, trying to grad a much as we can.
Old Feb 19, 13, 1:25 pm

Meaning no offense, are you sure you only drink water?

Your positive outlook is always appreciated; sometimes forgotten by those of us still struggling down here in the muck, trying to grad a much as we can.
Folks know when a hotel does push my buttons the wrong way I am the first to cry fowl
While I'm happy to give praise where it is due I have been very vocal and critical of hotels or management
Though the Hyatt Hall of shame hotels do exist as do their HOS management
It's the rare bunch or handful of full service hotels that don't take good care of the guest especially when pressed

I could knit pick here at the Churchill but at the end of the day it's the overall expereince here and they seem to value my business as much as I do the team on board and its management

If I can share one thing with the community that may be helpful don't expect the hotels to know each and every time what you want the first time or the 7th time staying.
Team members come and go at many properties or may be off prior to your arrival.
When a hotel gets busy they turn operational and sometimes may miss your preferences
Always remember to add comments to your reservation comments section if u prefer premium view over space or space over view
Remind them if arriving early and if they can they may be able to check you in early
And though when I'm jet lagged I get cranky and impatient remember that every guest sees and appreciates things differently so remind again of your hopeful expectation and be fair and reasonable without asking for a private wing for the giraffe and gorilla day of arrival especially with a sold out hotel or high occupancy
Hotels need repeat customers and do wish to please and in the right hotel execed expectations
A helpful reminder in house or before arrival clearly may be the difference between a great stay and one that's just average/routine

I'm in heaven on a run I started with the Grand Hyatt in San Francisco ( ok)
Left the Churchill this evening (wonderful)
On my way to Grand Hyatt Melbourne (a personal favotite)
the Park Hyatt Sydney and then finally the Grand
Hyatt in Tokyo
How hard is it to not be positive visiting places with smiling faces and celebrating with friends and loved ones in a number of the greatest countries and cities with some of these aspirational Hyatt properties
Toto we are not at Hyatt Place dining on freeze dried radiation nuked breakfast bacon and powdered eggs

Now as much as I like the HP concept staying out of those properties keeps my issues down to a bare minimum
as when they fail they have no customer relationship policies in place it's at your own risk
When you are at seasoned full service Hyatts most know how to take good care of the guest and find solutions to almost anything by offering pro actively Or when pressed

I've had my sting of failures but after some escalated issues with Hyatt Place dating back a few years ago I stay away from the limited service properties with a few psycho GMs that drove a Greyhound bus before running their hotel off the cliff.the guest against us mentality

Despite some bumps in the road the Churchill has stellar management and anything that has ever mattered to this guest mattered to them.Loyalty is a two way street and communication being appreciative gets you better treatment more often then not even with elite status.Just one of many reasons I am a Hyatt guy
End of my rambling boarding the A380 to Singapore shortly its a horrible life we elite members have it tough

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 19, 13 at 1:44 pm
Old Mar 24, 13, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
Poor Stay

I had a very poor stay at this hotel and can confirm it seems to be sliding quickly.

I have stayed at this hotel more than 30 times in the last few years. On my last 3 stays, I have noticed that it has failed in several areas. This last weekend was no exception.

Arrived at the hotel at 11 am. Front Desk staff (some of whom spoke little English), all seemed confused. Offered private check-in on 8th Floor - (uh, no, just check me in here and now). Of course, room not ready. When will it be ready, don't know. I'll take any room. Please sir, can we take you to the 8th floor reception.
Welcome Sir, we have a room ready now on 9th floor. Great, wish they could have just done that downstairs 1 hour ago.

Room not very clean, minibar half empty, only 2 bath towels. floor not clean in bathroom.

Only one lounge open, no place to sit

no welcome card (have not received one during my last 3 stays), no water, no wine, nothing.

turn down service, failed to change towels in bathroom.

next day, housekeeping failed to remove dirty glasses, empty trash, again only 2 bath towels left.
only 1 lounge open, no room to sit at breakfast or evening.

Last edited by SethLevy; Mar 25, 13 at 9:42 am
Old Mar 24, 13, 11:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I also experienced the bit about having one lounge closed and it is very annoying. Apparently at least in the morning, the solution is to ask to be comped to the regular breakfast downstairs.

I didn't experience housekeeping problems as you describe on my last stay about 6 weeks ago. So I am hoping they were a one-off and you were just unlucky somehow. Did you bring the issues up with management? It sounds like they were bad enough that you should have.

Being sent to the 8th floor to be checked in doesn't seem like a big deal to me. Plus the folks on the 8th floor are, as you observed, way more knowledgable and helpful than the front desk staff.
Old Mar 24, 13, 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by SethLevy View Post
I had a very poor stay at this hotel and can confirm it seems to be sliding quickly.

I have stayed at this hotel more than 30 times in the last few years. On my last 3 stays, I have noticed that it has failed in severral areas. This last weekend was no exception.

Arrived at the hotel at 11 am. Front Desk staff (some of whom spoke little English), all seemed confused. Offered private chack-in on 8th Flor - (uh, no, just check me in here and now). Of course, room not ready. When will it be ready, don't know. I'll take any room. Please sir, can we take you to the 8th flor reception.
Welcome Sir, we have a room ready now on 9th floor. Great, wish they could have just done that downstairs 1 hour ago.

Room not very clean, minibar half empty, only 2 bath towels. floor not clean in bathroom.

Only one lounge open, no place to sit

no welcome card (have not received one during my last 3 stays), no water, no wine, nothing.

turn down service, failed to change towels in bathroom.

next day, housekeeping failed to remove dirty glasses, empty trash, again only 2 bath towels left.
pnly 1 lounge open, no room to sit at breakfast or evening.
Very sorry to hear about the disappointments
With the kind of loyalty you have demonstrated to the hotel and to Hyatt my suggestion would be to speak to someone in management directly at the hotel
I do have contacts for you should you be interested.
Every day is another performance at a given hotel and some no matter how good a property may be they can have their bad day
based on who is working at the time and a number of other factors.

I find the folks at the Churchill to be typically very helpful and that has been since inception.
I did have in the past some very poor service in the restaurant Montagu but as of the last stay it was vastly superior in every way and room service was absolutely delightful.
My upgraded room wasn't ready on my last stay yet the hotel was very nice and put me in a temporary room until my room was ready.
Sometimes they will do this automatically and other times you may have to ask if this is of interest or important to you
If you are unhappy with the lounge closing my other suggestion would be to call Hyatt Consumer Affairs. They can’t troll these sites and file reports
If after speaking to the hotel and Hyatt Consumer Affair's you don't like the response my suggestion would be to consider as a fellow Royal Ambassador
the brand new InterContinental
it has a vastly superior upscale hard product to anything the Hyatt Churchill offers. The beds are very impressive
None the less I remain a fan of the Churchill even with a few of its warts and aging wrinkles.

Management has always been responsive to me when it matters to me.
Most of the team at the Churchill extremely professional, concerned and welcoming.
The food and beverage amongst the best I have encountered in London inside a hotel for my liking
If I didn’t forgive a number of hotels for bumps in the road I'd probably have none to stay in
Even the normally fabulous Grand Hyatt Tokyo let me down on my last stay and in the past I saw it as one of the crown jewels in the Hyatt portfolio of hotels.
It happens...........more important does the guest return and does the hotel fix the concerns should they decide to do so!
Old Mar 25, 13, 9:19 am

it is really dismaying to read the various recent negative reports, especially about there being only one lounge open and no where to sit.

We have a 9-night stay with a Diamond suite upgrade coming up next month and we were really looking forward to it, as it is a rather special trip for us (after the Churchill we have 10 nights at PHV on points). The Churchill was one of the main reasons why I worked so hard to get Diamond status and also keep it for another year; since I have no business travel, getting 25 stays at Hyatt on leisure travel is not too easy for us.

We may have to lower our expectations for the Churchill to avoid being too disappointed, but we really enjoy having a comfortable time in the lounge in the evening.

Maybe I should consider burning some Hilton points in London and forgo the suite upgrade with a paid stay at the Churchill?
Old Mar 25, 13, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, United IK, AA LifPLT, Hyatt Globalist, IHG PLT AMB, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton G
it is really dismaying to read the various recent negative reports, especially about there being only one lounge open and no where to sit.

We have a 9-night stay with a Diamond suite upgrade coming up next month and we were really looking forward to it, as it is a rather special trip for us (after the Churchill we have 10 nights at PHV on points). The Churchill was one of the main reasons why I worked so hard to get Diamond status and also keep it for another year; since I have no business travel, getting 25 stays at Hyatt on leisure travel is not too easy for us.

We may have to lower our expectations for the Churchill to avoid being too disappointed, but we really enjoy having a comfortable time in the lounge in the evening.

Maybe I should consider burning some Hilton points in London and forgo the suite upgrade with a paid stay at the Churchill?
Overall, I think the hotel is fine, but declining. I am surpirsed at how poor the service has been on my recent stays. That said, you should be fine with the suite upgrade, provided they give you a true suite and not the fake large room separated by a half wall.

Having stayed at this hotel so many times (in fact, each year, it makes up more than half or my 25 stays), I am surprised that I am not regularly upgraded. Also, I personally know several members of staff and they know me by name. Yet, my room is generally never ready upon arrival (around 10-11 am) and it is always a production a check-in. The housekeeping issues are sad, but again an overall decline in the hotel's level of service. Will I stop staying there, no, especially as I have been able to secure very good BRG rates.

As an RA, I am always impressed with the IC Park Lane and gernerally (lately) recieve suite upgrades and Lounge Access. The room is always ready at 8 am or a waiting room offered even on award stays. The new IC Westminster has a poor RA upgrade policy and location, for me, is not prime.

Good luck for your stay and enjoy London!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: