Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2012, 1:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by price123
We have stayed in both, although usually receive executive suite. In April, a balcony may be nice although you can't bank on the weather. The 9th floor suites have 2 separate rooms with a door between and the balcony runs past both rooms. The 7th floor suites are more contempory in style and have 2 spaces with a partial wall separating but no doors. There is a large walk in wardrobe/small dressing room and the bathroom has a tv in the mirror. I think we preferred the 7th floor but that may be just because it's different. It may be worth requesting an executive suite if they show available when you check in but for 9 days I doubt they would want to offer it.

I'll put up some pictures of 7th floor suite next week (prob Monday) on the website. 2 of the 9th floor suites in the presidential suite are regency suite kings which have no balcony but a larger living space. This may be an option (although the air con tends to work less well here for some reason).
Thanks again as always for your helpful information. I have read others comments in this thread and in the confirmed diamond suite upgrade thread, as well as browsed the web.

I know some bemoan the lack of a door between the rooms in the 7th floor suites, but we'd probably prefer the half wall, although the door would not be a deciding point.

Thought the balcony might be nice, not necessarily for sitting on, but just to step out and get a bit more of view of the surroundings. But then I have 2 worries re the balcony: 1) If the only opening windows are the balcony doors, we would feel uncomfortable leaving them open at night (although temps in April might not require that anyway), and 2) Have read that there is only a lattice separating adjacent balconies, allowing a view down the entire length of the building, and thus worry that someone standing at the lattice could see into the room.

Also thought that since the 7th floor suites are completely new the might have better appointed bathrooms, but have found no mention of this. Don't need the TV in the mirror, but a bit of elbow room in the bathroom is nice.

I will certainly enquire re an exec suite at check-in, but would be very, very surprised to get one. Asking about one of the suites attached to the presidential suite sound like a good idea too (would not think that the AC will matter much in April), but I just thought it would be good to request either 7th floor or 9th floor in advance, since they should be more capable of meeting such a request.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:22 am

transport from LHR

Wondering what everyone's preferred means of transport from LHR is.

We're arriving on a Fri evening at 17:20 at T1. 2 people, 2 relatively large but only half full and therefore rather light suitcases, plus a one wheeled carryon. Looks like the usual options are HEX (as low as 29 GBP prebooked using discount codes or 38 GBP at LHR) and cab from Paddington (maybe 6 GBP), private car service for about 35-40 GBP (but everyone I've looked at has at least some very dissatisfied customers), or the tube (about 10 GBP, or about 6 GBP using an Oyster Card PAYG) and cab from Green Park or Hyde Park Corner (maybe 8 GBP).
Old Sep 30, 2012, 12:41 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

On and Off topic of transportion

Check out "Airport Executive" for private professional car service
They meet and greet right in the terminal.
It's a huge operation and I find most drivers very good and its a fixed cost effective rate less then what you are posting above
That takes you right to the door of the Churchill
Most the hotel car service partners charge twice as much

For those of you interested in Fitness your club breafast just became less damaging to your body
The Churchill as nice a hotel as it is has a dreadful fitness facility
After years of frustration and within walking distance to the hotel i discovered a solution.
There is an excellent branch of "Fitness First" within walking distance to the hotel and they do daily rates that sadly don't come cheap.
Its a shame the hotel doesn't partner with them to offer a reduced rate.
Mr. Oshin of the club has always given me a warm welcome and once in awhile throws in a free work out.
Nice folks good facility nice neighborhood.

Finding Fitness First was what saved my relationship with the Churchill
I was starting to stay in other parts of the city to work out
It boggles my mind how bad the fitness facilties are at the Churchill for the typical cost to stay at this otherwise very nice property with professional team members
Old Sep 30, 2012, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Used Airport Executive in August from LHR to/from Churchill and were very pleased with service and the cost.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Wondering what everyone's preferred means of transport from LHR is.

We're arriving on a Fri evening at 17:20 at T1. 2 people, 2 relatively large but only half full and therefore rather light suitcases, plus a one wheeled carryon. Looks like the usual options are HEX (as low as 29 GBP prebooked using discount codes or 38 GBP at LHR) and cab from Paddington (maybe 6 GBP), private car service for about 35-40 GBP (but everyone I've looked at has at least some very dissatisfied customers), or the tube (about 10 GBP, or about 6 GBP using an Oyster Card PAYG) and cab from Green Park or Hyde Park Corner (maybe 8 GBP).
If I am by myself, I tax the HEX to Paddington, and then the tube to Marble Arch (right around the corner from the Hyatt).

When traveling with family, which was the case this past summer, I used http://www.expcar.com/. I've used them five or six times, and they've never let me down. IIRC, it was 40GBP for the service from the Churchill to LHR, and v.v.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

By myself, I always do HEX followed by a cab (if there isn't a long queue) or a bus in front of Paddington Station (if there is a long queue). The tube from Paddington to Marble Arch does not seem very viable as there is no way to do it without at least one transfer, while plenty of busses go direct.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
If I am by myself, I tax the HEX to Paddington, and then the tube to Marble Arch (right around the corner from the Hyatt).

When traveling with family, which was the case this past summer, I used http://www.expcar.com/. I've used them five or six times, and they've never let me down. IIRC, it was 40GBP for the service from the Churchill to LHR, and v.v.
Airport Executive is less unless going to Andaz London which is further
Prior to their rate raise a few years ago they were 23GBP for one person!
Old Sep 30, 2012, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
By myself, I always do HEX followed by a cab (if there isn't a long queue) or a bus in front of Paddington Station (if there is a long queue). The tube from Paddington to Marble Arch does not seem very viable as there is no way to do it without at least one transfer, while plenty of busses go direct.
While a transfer is required, I find it refreshing to stretch my legs are a long TATL.

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Airport Executive is less unless going to Andaz London which is further
Prior to their rate raise a few years ago they were 23GBP for one person!
The company I mentioned charges the same whether you go from the Churchill or the Andaz..

Lots of companies to choose from on London, of course.

23GBP is quite nice, although from the Andaz, I'd just save the HEX. Again, a short ride from Liverpool to Paddington, but I'd rather do that if it means skipping the morning/afternoon traffic on the roads.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP Hyatt Dia SPG Gold Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Thanks again as always for your helpful information. I have read others comments in this thread and in the confirmed diamond suite upgrade thread, as well as browsed the web.

I know some bemoan the lack of a door between the rooms in the 7th floor suites, but we'd probably prefer the half wall, although the door would not be a deciding point.

Thought the balcony might be nice, not necessarily for sitting on, but just to step out and get a bit more of view of the surroundings. But then I have 2 worries re the balcony: 1) If the only opening windows are the balcony doors, we would feel uncomfortable leaving them open at night (although temps in April might not require that anyway), and 2) Have read that there is only a lattice separating adjacent balconies, allowing a view down the entire length of the building, and thus worry that someone standing at the lattice could see into the room.

Also thought that since the 7th floor suites are completely new the might have better appointed bathrooms, but have found no mention of this. Don't need the TV in the mirror, but a bit of elbow room in the bathroom is nice.

I will certainly enquire re an exec suite at check-in, but would be very, very surprised to get one. Asking about one of the suites attached to the presidential suite sound like a good idea too (would not think that the AC will matter much in April), but I just thought it would be good to request either 7th floor or 9th floor in advance, since they should be more capable of meeting such a request.
The 7th floor suites do not have a half wall, they have a full wall (floor to ceiling) between the bedroom and sitting area with ceiling height doorways on either side. Of course, that might have been what you meant by half wall.

I wouldn't say the restroom provides much elbow room, but it is decent sized for London. The shower and bath (separate) are both decent sized, toilet, bidet and single sink (iirc) with good counter space so the square footage (or meterage). My pictures are not online, but I can post later if you are interested.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:03 pm

[QUOTE=777 global mile hound;

It boggles my mind how bad the fitness facilties are at the Churchill for the typical cost to stay at this otherwise very nice property with professional team members[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more on how limited the fitness facilities are- i filled out a comment card during my last stay a couple of weeks ago, was begining to think I'm the only one who thinks like this :-) Here's hoping they do something but not holding out much hope
Old Oct 1, 2012, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by cmanc
Couldn't agree more on how limited the fitness facilities are- i filled out a comment card during my last stay a couple of weeks ago, was begining to think I'm the only one who thinks like this :-) Here's hoping they do something but not holding out much hope
Glad to hear I'm not alone out there
I hear ya not falling on deaf ears here.
The amazing thing to me is how many of their affluent guests put up with
this in a 5 star hotel or somehow don't care about their health or well being.
It's scary to me and it should be of concern to Hyatt and its very reputation of being a leading hotel company.
Even a 3 star hotel in an airport has better facilities in many cities and countries.At least most Hyatt’s put a priority on this globally.
London appears to be the biggest most noticeable oversight in recent memory.

My guess is they put a lot of investment in the public area and renovation when it went from a tired InterContinental into a revitalized Hyatt.
Ownership couldn't see the ROI immediately as they could a food and beverage venue and just said let it be.

Oddly as much as I like and admire the property the former Park Hyatt Carlton had a fantastic health club with food service in their lounge for years
It was also a awful hotel filled with surly individuals with uncomfortable beds. I’d still rather have it is as we do today and remain a Hyatt Churchill fan.
However I do hope they will one day do the right thing in a whole new era.
Even if they don’t improve their on site facility they owe it to their customers to forge a partnership with a full service facility like Fitness First
where guests can receive a free guest pass or a deeply discounted daily or weekly fee.
Even some Marriott’s that are of much less caliber do so as well as other properties/chains.
Probably more property driven than brand.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 1, 2012 at 9:38 pm
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:28 pm

And I why did they remove the Sauna, I know it was small, was never turned on etc. but it was a token at least :-) I've actually been using Andaz as an alternative, much better Gym and I know others have had mixed experiences with service etc. but I have always been treated well there
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:40 pm

And I why did they remove the Sauna, I know it was small, was never turned on etc. but it was a token at least :-) I've actually been using Andaz as an alternative, much better Gym and I know others have had mixed experiences with service etc. but I have always been treated well there
The UKs best kept secret?
I could speculate but I'd rather not
Old Oct 1, 2012, 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by qbrain
The 7th floor suites do not have a half wall, they have a full wall (floor to ceiling) between the bedroom and sitting area with ceiling height doorways on either side. Of course, that might have been what you meant by half wall.

I wouldn't say the restroom provides much elbow room, but it is decent sized for London. The shower and bath (separate) are both decent sized, toilet, bidet and single sink (iirc) with good counter space so the square footage (or meterage). My pictures are not online, but I can post later if you are interested.
Yes, by half wall I meant a full height wall extending half way across the room with a large opening between the bedroom and sitting area rather than a door. As I said, we'd actually prefer this type of semi-open design rather than having a door between the 2 rooms, but it is not a deciding point.

I was just wondering if someone has stayed in both the newly created 7th floor suites and the newly renovated 9th floor suites could compare the two. I know that 9th floor (with the exception of the Presidential suite appendages) has a balcony and the door between the rooms, but am wondering if there are other differences. I don't know how they newly created these suites on the 7th floor, maybe by combing 2 standard rooms?

I'm assuming the might have considerable leeway on allocating between the 7th and 9th floor suites, since they are the same rank, so I thought I'm make a request if I could decide which we would prefer, although I know the difference is not going to be really that much.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
This is something we bought up when we met the GM. He has grand plans but very early stage and by no means confirmed. However, a better gym is a feature.

A reduced price fitness first membership you would have thought may be possible. We can suggest it during the London Do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.