Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I am at the Park Hyatt Vienna this week, after a week at the PH Vendome and the Churchill.

PH Vienna, exceptional in every way.

the price differential, depends on when you book and when for. The location of the Andaz Vienna is not something Id be keen on, I compared Churchill and PH Vienna.

I got a screaming good deal at the Churchill booked last year for earlier this month; 279 Pounds plus 9k points per night for a premium suite. Checking a date at random next month, Churchill is signicantly lower, and a little lower on a random date in November.

The biggest difference to me is the hard product with a TSU; the only one of the three that books into a true suite. And it is better in service, globalist recognition, etc (where else go they refresh the fruit bowl and flowers mid stay).

But my stay at the Churchill was superb. Hard product, breakfast, service, etc. Was it up to the PH Vienna- no, but thats an incredibly high bar.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 27, 2022 at 5:17 am
Old Sep 27, 2022, 5:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
[duplicate
Old Sep 27, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Property appears to be in great shape, excellent morning buffet in the restaurant, professional staff, and good Globalist recognition. I haven't stayed at a better Regency property, but there are many I haven't experienced yet outside the US - which, if any, might be better?
Haven't been to a ton OUS - but I find HR BKK to be quite good (know others may feel differently relative to the GH/PH)
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Was really only thinking/surveying Regency class hotels. I have enjoyed the PH Vienna several times and it is every bit as good as the PH Paris/Place Vendome, with significantly better upgrade potential. Enjoyed the Andaz Vienna 10 days ago, and found it to be better than expected, especially for the price... But, as pointed out, probably not the best location for a first time visitor to Vienna.

But with regards to the Regency brand, I haven't seen anything that compares to the Churchill; I am hoping some of you can come up good competitive suggestions! HR Maui comes to mind, their hard product has been upgraded somewhat in the past couple years, and, well, it's in Hawaii! But the lounge/breakfast/service levels are typically US, so IMO the Churchill beats it on all of those counts.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:12 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Diamond, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The Churchill is distinctive and positioned arguably more as a Grand Hyatt. Is it the best Hyatt Regency? I guess it depends what you compare it to. Outside of the US, you have the likes of HR Bangkok, Samui or Zurich to name just a few which are all newer and each have some form of distinctive feature.

Personally, Id be more likely to say that the Churchill is more of an odd fit than the clear vest of the pack (with highest room rates, even with the UK having torpedoed their currency).
Old Oct 9, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: *A Gold, ST - E+
I recently finished a 2-day stay here for 3. Overall a great experience, I was proactively granted a late check-out during check-in due to exploralist status. Staff was awesome and helpfull, breakfast was good despite overcrowded and the bar is very nice.

We needed and extra bed and they had forgotten about it but it was sorted out within 5min of contacting the front desk.

5% Discretionary fee was presented at check-out and I "naively" enquired about what it was exactly: "it's a service fee that it's totally optional for you to pay or not" so I asked it to be removed and there was no issue about it
Old Oct 9, 2022, 12:21 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Good Lord
No hotel did that while I was in london and prices were way up there based on pre pandemic pricing way above inflation rates
Seems like they are trying to recover past losses
London Restaurants sure thing the charge is expected
Who really wants that discussion at check out as many are in a rush to go
And I’ll assume easy to miss the new optional nuisance fee
Perhaps call it the Hyatt discretionary panhandling fee?
Awkward!

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 9, 2022 at 12:28 pm
Old Oct 9, 2022, 5:27 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Good Lord
No hotel did that while I was in london and prices were way up there based on pre pandemic pricing way above inflation rates
Seems like they are trying to recover past losses
London Restaurants sure thing the charge is expected
Who really wants that discussion at check out as many are in a rush to go
And Ill assume easy to miss the new optional nuisance fee
Perhaps call it the Hyatt discretionary panhandling fee?
Awkward!
It's not just Hyatt. It's made its way across most London hotels.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 6:14 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by m0hamed
It's not just Hyatt. It's made its way across most London hotels.
Another reason to pay with points as its hard to charge credit card surcharge fees and discretionary fees on a 0 balance
But our dollar is so strong I paid for my stays this time.
Hotels could bring back the energy surcharge with energy shortage this upcoming winter
Its a doggone fee after fee world.(sigh)
When I landed in Boston upon my return from London my 90 dollar lunch check for a lobster roll @ Finn Point had a kitchen recovery fee.
Is that after a night of heavy drinking with the team recovering to sober state to cook?
I'll take it to go next time from James Hook nearby much better quality larger portion and 40% less.
I may miss the fees though
Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Just completed another stay here. Everything was excellent from check-in to check-out. The larger family section of the Regency Club is still closed until Nov.15th for "maintenance". This is causing the slightly smaller other club quite overcrowded and seats/tables are not always available. I was shocked and annoyed by several people each night who occupied tables and just sat there for extended periods just using their laptops, something they could do in their room rather than causing other guests to be turned away. Some people just have no sense of courtesy. I also noticed that anyone can access the 8th floor where the Club is- the elevator doesn't require key access to reach the 8th floor. We were entitled to access but we were never asked for our room number or key. Given the Club is overcrowded some control should be put in place. We had our usual Regency Suite Balcony, which is what a TSU gets you. It's not very large but it does have separate bedroom and parlor. We were fine with it.

The Club remains closed for breakfast but a huge buffet is offered in the Montague Restaurant. They will also make you omelets if you wish. If you don't qualify for complimentary breakfast, the charge is GBP 30 per person.

The "discretionary fee" was on my bill at checkout but I asked them to remove it and there was no issue- I seem to recall it was about GBP 8 per day but adds up if you're there for more than a day or two.

We used Heathrow Express both ways from LHR and then a taxi from Paddington to the hotel. The taxi fare from Paddington was about GBP 11 each way. Book the Heathrow Express online at least a month ahead and the discount is substantial- we paid about GBP 5 per person each way by buying online 5 weeks in advance.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by JIMCHI; Oct 27, 2022 at 9:17 pm
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt GLB
Was looking here for a potential stay towards the end of August next year but it looks like the hotel might be playing the no "standard" rooms available game.
Old Dec 3, 2022, 5:12 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Was looking here for a potential stay towards the end of August next year but it looks like the hotel might be playing the no "standard" rooms available game.
I secured rooms in July and August on full points. Given hotel prices around the world you really have to book a year in advance to avoid the ridiculous pricing.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:01 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
I really enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt Regency Churchill and found it to be a great start to my first trip to London. This property excels in a major way compared to other Hyatt Regency properties, such as many in the US, as the bed here is plush and comfortable. Here are my pros, cons, and photos:

Pros:
  • Used a TSU that was expiring in 2023, which got me into a Regency Suite King - I ended up being placed in a suite on the 9th (top) floor that had separate rooms, which was nice
  • Suite was ready when I arrived at 12:30 PM
  • Had to ask, but no issue with 4 PM late checkout
  • Nice spacious suite - looks like it could be connected to others via a staircase with locked doors at top and bottom (mine was the bottom) as the wing was comprised of four suites, including the Presidential (the other side wing on the 9th is the Churchill Residence Suite)
  • Living room had a nice desk and large couch
  • The bed was very comfortable - super plush covers, wonderful plush pillows (look at how tall those things are), and nice plush mattress (though, it did seem to be two twins made into a king based on a gap I felt - not an issue) - I had a great 9 hours of sleep
  • Nice shower pressure - wand and upper head can be turned on at the same time with no loss in pressure
  • Delivered a nice note and bag of what looks to be toffee as a welcome gift
  • Very large bath towels
  • Check-in and check-out friendly and efficient
  • One of my curtains was stuck, but I heard some staff in the hall and they came in right away and fixed it (they even called a housekeeper to wipe down the chair they had to stand on) - very friendly
  • Turndown attendant came by to ask if I needed any more waters or towels
  • Lots of waters in room - about 6 or 7 glass bottles
  • Wi-Fi worked well
  • Regency Club offering on the 8th floor is very good
    • Open most of the day for self-service drinks and snacks
    • Evening offering had delicious (really absolutely divine) cakes, including an amazing spice cake and even more amazing chocolate cake - there were other options, too - I enjoyed the focaccia and cheeses
  • Regency Club / Globalist breakfast is in the main restaurant and was easily one of the tastiest breakfasts I've had in a long time - it's a large buffet, but the bacon was so divine, especially combined with the pancakes and then dipped in syrup - tasty coffee, fast service, really nice eggs and smoked salmon - I really enjoyed every bite I took with this breakfast and went back for seconds of most things
  • Check-in and check-out were friendly and efficient (no service charge tomfoolery on points stays)
Cons:
  • Bedroom in my suite had a direct door to the hallway, which harmed noise isolation, especially during midday housekeeping hours
  • The shower door was not effective at keeping water off of the floor due to several gaps and the fact that the water shoots directly at the door
Overall, I would highly recommend the Hyatt Churchill to Hyatt loyalists and others.

Photos:

EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Nice TR. Will be there in a few weeks and glad to see Glob breakfast is now in the restaurant (change from pre-Covid times, much discussed issue IIRC). Already in a Regency Suite w/Balcony.
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Nice TR. Will be there in a few weeks and glad to see Glob breakfast is now in the restaurant (change from pre-Covid times, much discussed issue IIRC). Already in a Regency Suite w/Balcony.
Yes, I can imagine spacing and maintaining two equitable food selections between lounge sides would be aggravating. Having it in the restaurant is much more scalable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.