Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2022, 3:45 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by askyamaz
I found standard room to be a terrible experience and if you didn't have status check in staff seem quite unaccommodating. Not worth it in my opinion at 700-800 GBP a night. Not sure why it's 5 stars unless you get the top tier rooms. The Club was pretty nice, but that's about it. Not worth it and the pictures are extremely misleading, if you're booking standard. At the bare minimum standard at that price, should have seen some kinda of generic modern HR rooms, but falls short of that. Standard HR in America at $100 is way better.
Not worth the price of admission imo
I’ve had great experiences and poor experiences at this property since it became a Hyatt over the years
Admired many I met working there personally
Havent returned since the pandemic.
As with many hotels management changes as do the teams

I’ve felt like a Super VIP here on some stays and on other occasions just lucky to get a cramped room and climb high to
get over the tub to take a shower.I found it too much work to coordinate upgrades and moved on for the most part elsewhere where I am happier and my loyalty seems more recognized consistently as well as liking other properties lounge and breakfast offerings better for somewhat less expense that are also newer.

I return to London next week and will see if my go to is still worth going too!
Probably take the Park Hyatt to get me back to Hyatt in London as much as I like aspects of the Churchill and great memories overall.I’m in a different space & mode of thinking now then years ago when Andaz and Churchill were my go toos
The competition is fierce now and exciting for good hotel experiences in London
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:13 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
True, but the ADRs are also "fierce!" 2022 is a totally "new game," with regard to prices of 5* Luxury Properties.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
True, but the ADRs are also "fierce!" 2022 is a totally "new game," with regard to prices of 5* Luxury Properties.
Agreed I’m seeing almost 100% increase in rates except on weekends
when it’s slightly less
I would have to see consistent high quality suite upgrades and a fully equipped fitness center to justify some of the new asking rates
Old Sep 23, 2022, 7:13 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Agreed I’m seeing almost 100% increase in rates except on weekends
when it’s slightly less
I would have to see consistent high-quality suite upgrades and a fully equipped fitness center to justify some of the new asking rates
Yep, absolutely insane. Just a sort by some 5* ADRs for one (random) night in October. (Sorted by USD, since I work in USD, though the rates are booked in Ł)

Mind you, this is the rate-sort for a blah blah standard room.

Not even the worst I have seen—similar pricing craziness with NYC.

Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:37 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Not worth the price of admission imo
I’ve had great experiences and poor experiences at this property since it became a Hyatt over the years
Admired many I met working there personally
Havent returned since the pandemic.
As with many hotels management changes as do the teams

I’ve felt like a Super VIP here on some stays and on other occasions just lucky to get a cramped room and climb high to
get over the tub to take a shower.I found it too much work to coordinate upgrades and moved on for the most part elsewhere where I am happier and my loyalty seems more recognized consistently as well as liking other properties lounge and breakfast offerings better for somewhat less expense that are also newer.

I return to London next week and will see if my go to is still worth going too!
Probably take the Park Hyatt to get me back to Hyatt in London as much as I like aspects of the Churchill and great memories overall.I’m in a different space & mode of thinking now then years ago when Andaz and Churchill were my go toos
Would you are such a boss with all these LT! I would be so happy to have LT AA and Globalist
American & SPG Lifetime/Plat/Titanium :-:
Hyatt Globalist Lifetime/Hilton Diamond :-:
Old Sep 23, 2022, 4:43 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Rates have been this high for lead in rooms across London since the beginning of this year.

Frankly, I see no value in paying 500GBP at a Hyatt, Mariott or Hilton. I decided it was better value to book ultra lux which justifies the higher price so on my last trip I booked The Rosewood and had one of my most memorable stays ever.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 1:58 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Rates have been this high for lead in rooms across London since the beginning of this year.

Frankly, I see no value in paying 500GBP at a Hyatt, Mariott or Hilton. I decided it was better value to book ultra lux which justifies the higher price so on my last trip I booked The Rosewood and had one of my most memorable stays ever.
Out of interest what made it memorable?
Old Sep 25, 2022, 2:00 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AbuCordoba
Out of interest what made it memorable?
I wrote an extensive review on the Rosewood London thread.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by m0hamed

Your thought process is echoing mine perhaps a bit differently as things have changed for the better and the worse
Then there is just plain and simple Overpricing and point devaluations that seem to have less to do with inflation
As I get closer to the stay I see rates falling frequently over the past months

Programs have cut back inappropriately in places on their best customers & some of their benefits
Shrinking suite categories,penny pinching on breakfast etc.
Thankfully some select hotels have ignored some these cuts.
I have started to move away occasionally to smaller hotel groups offering exceptional values to those with no elite status or higher end experiences breaking ranks with the big programs
Or just the occasional Mandarin or Four Seasons etc
I was feeling held hostage to point earnings on every stay.Life is short especially as you get older
Holding LT status makes it easy to come back again another time so one can cherry pick for the best experiences and values
Value and experience is not dictated solely by price or ones favorite program.

Here in Europe presently and in one city for 200 Euros a night in a 4 star boutique hotel including
continental breakfast it was simply stunning.It felt small private and intimate compared to the
big chain hotels and it was fun to breakaway for a change
That said I ended up in a jr suite due to what I assume was a hotel website booking error on allowable category
I downgraded next night as the minibar wasn’t working.
If I posted photos of their breakfast you might say which Park Hyatt.Every morning I was excited to have breakfast
They proactively offered 1 PM checkout without status.What?I sometimes beg or negotiate at a Hilton or Marriott

Moved to a nearby Hilton and was upgraded to a jr suite so while I appreciated the larger spacious accommodations
I yearned for the prior hotels breakfast.By American standards the Hilton elite breakfast was substantial
but lacked in being inspiring.I felt like I was at an all you can eat buffet and essentially was with folks just overloading plates.
Because it’s free or one price buys all u can eat.Its easy to get In that mindset.

Off to Park Hyatt Vienna next week and hoping the magic is still there.Haven’t been there since Grand opening!
A return to The Churchill perhaps probably at some point just for old times sake when the pent up demand cools down
If ever!
Old Sep 25, 2022, 3:30 am

Originally Posted by askyamaz
Would you are such a boss with all these LT! I would be so happy to have LT AA and Globalist
American & SPG Lifetime/Plat/Titanium :-:
Hyatt Globalist Lifetime/Hilton Diamond :-:
I earned my stripes in the good old days when costs were lower and on a given day have great gratitude
to cherry pick where I wish to stay without the need to earn status
It certainly takes the pressure off not feeling obligated to stay and earn in a given program however it also took 20 plus years to achieve!
Its all about life’s journey through experiences

Now I’m older with much lighter pockets 😜🤯
So there are the upsides and the downsides I suppose
Harder to achieve today compared to years past that’s for sure!
askyamaz likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 6:37 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Your thought process is echoing mine perhaps a bit differently as things have changed for the better and the worse
Then there is just plain and simple Overpricing and point devaluations that seem to have less to do with inflation
As I get closer to the stay I see rates falling frequently over the past months

Programs have cut back inappropriately in places on their best customers & some of their benefits
Shrinking suite categories,penny pinching on breakfast etc.
Thankfully some select hotels have ignored some these cuts.
I have started to move away occasionally to smaller hotel groups offering exceptional values to those with no elite status or higher end experiences breaking ranks with the big programs
Or just the occasional Mandarin or Four Seasons etc
I was feeling held hostage to point earnings on every stay.Life is short especially as you get older
Holding LT status makes it easy to come back again another time so one can cherry pick for the best experiences and values
Value and experience is not dictated solely by price or ones favorite program.

Here in Europe presently and in one city for 200 Euros a night in a 4 star boutique hotel including
continental breakfast it was simply stunning.It felt small private and intimate compared to the
big chain hotels and it was fun to breakaway for a change
That said I ended up in a jr suite due to what I assume was a hotel website booking error on allowable category
I downgraded next night as the minibar wasn’t working.
If I posted photos of their breakfast you might say which Park Hyatt.Every morning I was excited to have breakfast
They proactively offered 1 PM checkout without status.What?I sometimes beg or negotiate at a Hilton or Marriott

Moved to a nearby Hilton and was upgraded to a jr suite so while I appreciated the larger spacious accommodations
I yearned for the prior hotels breakfast.By American standards the Hilton elite breakfast was substantial
but lacked in being inspiring.I felt like I was at an all you can eat buffet and essentially was with folks just overloading plates.
Because it’s free or one price buys all u can eat.Its easy to get In that mindset.

Off to Park Hyatt Vienna next week and hoping the magic is still there.Haven’t been there since Grand opening!
A return to The Churchill perhaps probably at some point just for old times sake when the pent up demand cools down
If ever!
I simply cannot justify the current rates for these big chain hotels compared to only a year or two ago.

The Churchill was sold out of suites in August (I had been looking to book last Nov), the Andaz room configs are not to my liking and GSY suites far too small.

Like you, I am a free agent and now book what I like free from the chains of loyalty. I’ll book Rosewood, FS, PH, StR or whatever brand meets my criteria now.

As for the PH VIE, you will have a wonderful stay. Only a month ago I was amazed at how just how perfect everything was from arrival to departure.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 7:13 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Harder to achieve today compared to years past that’s for sure!
Getting off-topic here, but I contend that earning lifetime status at Hyatt is much easier today. It is spend-based, and the amount - $200K - hasn't increased in at least 20 years. The 10-year requirement as a Diam/Glob was removed when WoH was rolled out. It takes fewer nights and less time to reach the $200K spend today simply because of the higher room rates.
EuropeanPete and AirbusFan2B like this.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 8:54 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The last few years has been a nightmare for those of us mainly chocking up the USD by spending in the UK though.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 3:33 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Is this the best Hyatt Regency in the Hyatt portfolio?

Property appears to be in great shape, excellent morning buffet in the restaurant, professional staff, and good Globalist recognition. I haven't stayed at a better Regency property, but there are many I haven't experienced yet outside the US - which, if any, might be better?
Old Sep 27, 2022, 4:32 am

Certainly a good Hyatt Regency if you want only a Hyatt Regency
I’d highly suggest looking at Andaz and Park Hyatt if you really want a wow factor
Here @ Andaz Vienna and at half the price of Hyatt Regency London it’s just astonishing how good it is
Probably one of the nicest stays of a lifetime now off to Park Hyatt Vienna I’d be shocked if it’s better but know it likely will be good too
If there is any take away about Europe vs North America Hyatt is killing it in Europe with exceptional quality at breakfast and failing in North America in comparison
I had forgotten how great it is to be a globalist outside of NA

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Sep 27, 2022 at 4:45 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.