Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
The 5% fee statement will show up in your email confirmation under the Notes section of the email. They do everything possible to obscure the fact that the fee is there. This is just sad
Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:40 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Has the property had a refurb? They just posted this on FBook.

I looked at some potential dates and the room photos all look like new decor. Odd that they would announce it, if so.

I note July and August still have no suites available....

Old Mar 13, 2022, 12:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
That looks really nice!
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by PortlySpartacus
The 5% fee statement will show up in your email confirmation under the Notes section of the email. They do everything possible to obscure the fact that the fee is there. This is just sad
Totally agree about this charge. And while this is the Churchill thread, I had same experience 2 weeks ago at the Great Scotland Yard hotel a couple miles away. I actually posted about this in a TA review and got a (lame) response from the GM.

Here's the portion of my review on this topic: There is a 5% discretionary service charge. When you go through the booking process, this charge is essentially hidden unless you specifically look for it. You actually have to click a dropdown menu for ‘more info’ to see any evidence of it. Otherwise, you’ll have no idea, as it doesn’t show on your booking confirmation screen. Others may have no concerns, but this is a clear money grab for a hotel, so at least make it much more apparent. Some Hyatts who have this charge clearly show it when you confirm the booking rate. GSY does not. It’s shady…

GM Response: Apropos your service charge comments, it is never our intention to hide this from our guests and I apologise that this was not communicated clearly to you at the reservation stage nor upon your arrival. I will be sure to pass your feedback to the appropriate management to ensure these issues are followed up on and do not reoccur.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Has the property had a refurb? They just posted this on FBook.

I looked at some potential dates and the room photos all look like new decor. Odd that they would announce it, if so.

I note July and August still have no suites available....

Ouch, the new decor is not really that great, is it? :—(
Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:21 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Ouch, the new decor is not really that great, is it? :—(
The hotel is tired, but it looks simple and refined.

This a selection from the room photos on the website. It still doesn't warrant 400 0r 500GBP for a lead in room in August, though...

Old Mar 13, 2022, 6:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
You can pay a whole lot more than that for uglier and smaller rooms in London
JIMCHI, Colin, Boraxo and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
You can pay a whole lot more than that for uglier and smaller rooms in London
Or you can book FHR, Virtuoso etc and book an actual luxury hotel....

It's madness paying that for a Hyatt, Hilton or Mariott.

Last edited by m0hamed; Mar 13, 2022 at 7:09 pm
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:42 pm

The hotel is tired, but it looks simple and refined.

This a selection from the room photos on the website. It still doesn't warrant 400 0r 500GBP for a lead in room in August, though...

I bet they will not do much to the bathroom.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by just2010just
I bet they will not do much to the bathroom.
Looks like a soft refresh? I don't remember what they used to look like.

Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:05 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
I don't see what the fuss is about; the design scheme seems to call upon "upscale hotel anywhere" with nothing but beige and nothing to distinguish it. This doesn't say "London" or luxury to me - just generic at the most base possible cost to pass it off as premium.

In the words of Homer Simpson: booo-ring.

khabah
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by khabah
I don't see what the fuss is about; the design scheme seems to call upon "upscale hotel anywhere" with nothing but beige and nothing to distinguish it. This doesn't say "London" or luxury to me - just generic at the most base possible cost to pass it off as premium.

In the words of Homer Simpson: booo-ring.

khabah
Ha. This could be said of many London hotels, though.

I think I was surprised to stumble upon it, given it hadn't been announced.

As I said, I ended up choosing the Rosewood instead given the pricing this Summer that is simply outrageous.
broadwayboy likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:14 pm

Ha. This could be said of many London hotels, though.

I think I was surprised to stumble upon it, given it hadn't been announced.

As I said, I ended up choosing the Rosewood instead given the pricing this Summer that is simply outrageous.
Ha — that’s not fair. Rosewood is league ahead of HR Churchill!!! Rosewood is gorgeous because it’s got Tony Chi magic touch. Looks like HR Churchill just went the bland safe boring direction with the renovation.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Ha — that’s not fair. Rosewood is league ahead of HR Churchill!!! Rosewood is gorgeous because it’s got Tony Chi magic touch. Looks like HR Churchill just went the bland safe boring direction with the renovation.
Yes on both counts.
Old Mar 25, 2022, 8:49 am

We are going to London for 5 nights and are debating HR Churchill vs Conrad St. James. This is the first time actually staying in London since about 20+ years ago. Location wise, both are nice for us. I do have the reduced version globalist(via promotion last year) and Hilton Diamond. With these, are there any suggestions/recommendation for one over the other?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.