Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency London the Churchill REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Hardwood flooring is the current trend in hotel refresh packages. So far it's been fine, some chains add throw rugs to soften and deaden noise. There's nothing worse than checking into a room and the carpets are less than clean. The same refresh goes for showers and the shower pans and glass doors most ill fitting.
Originally Posted by 59Impala
Fully agree, I try to avoid hotels that have carpets, from a hygienic perspective.
The bedroom in the Regency Executive Suite is carpeted anyway, so there's no avoiding it. Luxury hotels in particular should be cleaning the carpets sufficiently. I like the look of hardwood floors but I'll always take carpet if it means better noise insulation.

It doesn't help that they use such heavy/bulky, old-fashioned furniture in the room. It made me hate moving the desk chair because I knew I was making as much noise as the person above me.

Originally Posted by aviators99
Thanks for the info. I'm checking in there on Saturday with a TSU. Do you have specific suggestions on what I should request when I get there, or if I should e-mail today, in advance? I should add that I'm very noise-sensitive.
I would contact the property in advance (i.e., now) - tell them that you're concerned about construction noise from the north side of the property and you'd appreciate a quieter room. Don't wait until check-in time.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Pickles
London is a weird city for hotels. I think the Churchill is a solid hotel that punches above its weight in the London market. For example, there are a fair number of hotels that are way more expensive and provide very poor value for money (many of which I have stayed in the past): DUKES, Claridges, Connaught, May Fair, St. James, etc. 500 quid a night is not unusual for a tiny room in a semi-decrepit setting with snooty service and weak water pressure. Similarly, it's quite easy to end up in some 4-star rated dump with ratty finishings and downright hostile service, and paying 250-300 quid for the privilege.

Under that metric, the Churchill is an excellent alternative for the price, location, and amenities. Is it 5-star? No, but very little in London really rises to that level, and then you're talking probably close to 1000 quid a night.
Agree 100%. I tend to rotate between the Marriott GS and Hyatt Churchill and am perpetually disappointed with the level of service at both properties. The lounges are okay but neither in the top 20 worldwide (see e.g. many properties in Asia and Eastern Europe, even JW Griffin (Houston) and LA Live.

That being said London seems to have way too many awful properties (including some major chains) that are rated 4* - the Hyatt (and a few others) always provide solid rooms at a (comparatively) reasonable price. So not sure if I will roll the dice on other options, despite the flaws here.
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

The truth is that many of London's properties are extremely old and and worse dealing with crumbling infrastructure
The newer generation hotels are doing a marvelous job creating world class standards at select properties all over the city making London proud
Over the past few years I have moved to other properties that are more luxurious more modern and offer me as an elite member
breakfast in the lounge restaurant my choice or sometimes both on a given day
The Hyatt Churchill has been mighty good to me and I have great memories overall. Its always a choice when in London but no longer a go to property for me
It needs a massive overhaul IMHO despite some of its old world charms.First to go? the terrible elevators that have trapped guests in them occasionally for years
They are slow and scary for that caliber hotel
Unfortunately with the loss of the amazing Simona the guest service manager @ The Churchill (adored her) to a more upscale hotel Its been hard to go back to the Churchill.
My last stay was just fair or a tad better than that
Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Had a good stay here after switching over from a terrible stay at the Hilton Paddington. Was able to secure a TSU upgrade to the Regency "Suite" King (actually just a junior suite). I'd e-mailed the GM about the hotel switch but I think he was on vacation, but another manager e-mailed me that I had been upgraded to a Regency Executive Suite 'in the hopes of improving my stay in London' - I thought this was a really nice touch. I was given one of the renovated suites which meant it was on a low floor. The traffic noise was definitely noticeable but not as bad as I originally feared. I did like the renovated room; the finishings were nice even if not really my style.

The one thing in the room I really didn't like was the hardwood flooring. I prefer carpet in any case, but functionally it causes a lot of noise between the rooms. I could hear furniture scraping the floor in the room above me, and the housekeepers vacuuming was really loud.

One current issue with the hotel is that there is noisy construction occurring across Upper Berkeley Sreet on the north side of the property, including jackhammering going on throughout the day. It didn't really bother me, but if you're sensitive to construction noise it's probably best to avoid rooms on that side of the property (which, unfortunately, includes a good number of these suites as well as many of the TSU room type).

I will note that at check-in, the FD agent only offered breakfast in the lounge and seemed reluctant to allow me to take breakfast in the restaurant, although eventually relented. I'd never been denied breakfast in the restaurant here so not really sure what the issue was or what they're usually giving Globs these days.
Be sure to speak with Hilton Guest Assistance about your poor stay they will likely make things right
Though Hilton has a huge presence in London most of them are disappointing Conrad and Hilton Bankside are truly standout properties leading the way
that are exceptional and offering elite members outsize value (YMMV)
Glad to hear the Churchill folks took good care of you! Awesome
Old Aug 31, 2019, 12:12 am

If nothing has changed since my last visit up to and including 5th floor. I like the new rooms. Last conversion I had with the GM he said the lounges and balance of the floors would be done at the sometime, and hinted the rooms might look a bit different. As we all know that is "subject to change" Still a nice place to stay.
my suite on the 6th floor was refurbished. It was really nice.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by yerffej201
my suite on the 6th floor was refurbished. It was really nice.

Maybe their starting with the upper floors has the lounges been refurbished ?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just finished up a 3 day stay as a first timer - some thoughts:

Good
  • Location - short ride from Paddington, close to multiple Tube lines, nice area to walk around in
  • Upgraded in advance to a suite and then got the further upgrade at check-in to an Exec suite
  • Suite isn't the newest/freshest but good space, 2 BR
  • No issues w/elevators - 1 in-op day 1 but fixed quickly
  • Nice accommodating staff generally
  • Arrived 10:30am and was in my suite less than an hour later
  • Proactively offered 4pm check-out

Less good/ok
  • Made the mistake of thinking I could do breakfast downstairs one day - big no-no (even though the buffet is basically identical to the one in the lounges plus a few added fruits/meats), they tried to charge me 60 GBP but then waived it after a bit of protesting
  • Lounge breakfast is fine, but does get a bit tiring after a few days (though you can order off-menu...did an omelet, not sure what else is available
  • Gym is pretty tiny, gets the job done but not much to it
  • Lobby is kind of "narrow" and just felt a bit hectic at times
  • Shower is pretty tight
Would come back but also more likely to try the Andaz or GSY maybe one of the myriad SLH options

As noted, London needs a PH! There is a Nobu Hotel going up right across the street, also saw the Pen in development.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Just finished up a 3 day stay as a first timer - some thoughts:

Good
  • Location - short ride from Paddington, close to multiple Tube lines, nice area to walk around in
  • Upgraded in advance to a suite and then got the further upgrade at check-in to an Exec suite
  • Suite isn't the newest/freshest but good space, 2 BR
  • No issues w/elevators - 1 in-op day 1 but fixed quickly
  • Nice accommodating staff generally
  • Arrived 10:30am and was in my suite less than an hour later
  • Proactively offered 4pm check-out

Less good/ok
  • Made the mistake of thinking I could do breakfast downstairs one day - big no-no (even though the buffet is basically identical to the one in the lounges plus a few added fruits/meats), they tried to charge me 60 GBP but then waived it after a bit of protesting
  • Lounge breakfast is fine, but does get a bit tiring after a few days (though you can order off-menu...did an omelet, not sure what else is available
  • Gym is pretty tiny, gets the job done but not much to it
  • Lobby is kind of "narrow" and just felt a bit hectic at times
  • Shower is pretty tight
Would come back but also more likely to try the Andaz or GSY maybe one of the myriad SLH options

As noted, London needs a PH! There is a Nobu Hotel going up right across the street, also saw the Pen in development.
Excellent overview and assessment^
of a reasonably good hotel missing its potential in key areas/focal points
The competition is fierce in London and as a top tier elite Marriott Autograph collection is excellent in London
with some of the highest ranking guest satisfaction scores in the city
Select luxury Hilton properties typically have a vastly better modern brand standard with lower pricing and
the great option of taking breakfast in the club lounge or restaurant or doing both!

Hyatt is missing an opportunity here to avoid overcrowding in the lounge
and drive higher guest satisfaction among top tier elites having it their way
When the Churchill opened as a Hyatt there were less competitors and it was a standout at the time

The Churchill doesn’t have a lot going for it anymore besides some wonderful
team members past and present
The food quality (dinner )was off on my last visit (just fair)and crazy expensive for what it is now
They also lost some of their strongest chefs.High quality dining was one of the main reasons for years I enjoyed the property
and put up with the lack of a proper fitness facility, slow dated failing elevators and accommodations way past their prime
Some of the refreshed rooms and suites are clearly an improvement
I would go back to the Churchill without question just for the kind customer service alone but sadly it’s no longer my go to hotel when in London.
With the Loss of their fantastic guest service manager not long ago there was also notable slippage
Having said all that I do still like the hotel and it’s location is great
The hotel has been especially kind to me through the years which I appreciate
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 7, 2019 at 2:21 pm
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Be sure to speak with Hilton Guest Assistance about your poor stay they will likely make things right
As I mentioned in the respective property review thread, unfortunately Diamond Desk was not helpful - after the property offered token compensation, Diamond Desk completely washed their hands of it. I told them I was going to drop Diamond and discontinue loyalty to HH and I plan to do so, as this experience shows their "Make it Right Guarantee" is a marketing fluff lie.

Maybe their starting with the upper floors has the lounges been refurbished ?
They definitely started with lower floors and management told me they are working their way up. Others have reported 5th floor was completed a while ago, so maybe they've gotten the 6th floor (or at least part of it) done.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
They really need to figure this out especially for Globs.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 7:36 am

As I mentioned in the respective property review thread, unfortunately Diamond Desk was not helpful - after the property offered token compensation, Diamond Desk completely washed their hands of it. I told them I was going to drop Diamond and discontinue loyalty to HH and I plan to do so, as this experience shows their "Make it Right Guarantee" is a marketing fluff lie.

They definitely started with lower floors and management told me they are working their way up. Others have reported 5th floor was completed a while ago, so maybe they've gotten the 6th floor (or at least part of it) done.

They really need to figure this out especially for Globs.
I was told by the GM that when they begin to finish the refresh their will be some modifications to what was done prior to his coming to the hotel. It sounded as if he was not impressed with some points. I think from my stays in the new rooms the bathrooms need some adjustments. As for the over crowding in the lounges usually the "family" side is generally busy with the "business traveler " side less so also very quiet, no children. I also agree with the prior post about some Marriott's ( they seem to have the market) and a couple of Hiltons.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:00 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
The truth is that many of London's properties are extremely old and and worse dealing with crumbling infrastructure
The newer generation hotels are doing a marvelous job creating world class standards at select properties all over the city making London proud
I would add that there are also some new hotels popping up in lower price categories that offer new infrastructure and modern comforts at a fraction of the price that is increasingly tempting in comparison to this place. I'm no longer a globalist so I am either booking a suite or using Prive to get an upgrade to one, neither options are cheap. Every visit I find new options that probably are a better overall deal, even if a solid class lower in service, but nostalgia leads me back here...
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by stephem
I would add that there are also some new hotels popping up in lower price categories that offer new infrastructure and modern comforts at a fraction of the price that is increasingly tempting in comparison to this place. I'm no longer a globalist so I am either booking a suite or using Prive to get an upgrade to one, neither options are cheap. Every visit I find new options that probably are a better overall deal, even if a solid class lower in service, but nostalgia leads me back here...
Actually that's great point and yes there are many middle market new designs popping up all across the continent.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:15 pm

As I mentioned in the respective property review thread, unfortunately Diamond Desk was not helpful - after the property offered token compensation, Diamond Desk completely washed their hands of it. I told them I was going to drop Diamond and discontinue loyalty to HH and I plan to do so, as this experience shows their "Make it Right Guarantee" is a marketing fluff .
i have decades of experience with Hilton Hyatt Marriott IHG and consulted for a few of the programs over the years besides having spent a fortune across these programs
Hilton is typically consistent in my experience with service recovery failures
If I have any advice to you do not work with the Diamond Desk if working on a hotel issue from a past stay .By all means if at all possible go directly through Guest Assistance
Be clear of the issues keep it simple as to the key focal points and what your preferred outcome would be based on the standard possibilities they have historically provided
On the rare occasions I have contacted them going on near 1000 nights I’ve had a near 98% success record
When it was something complicated with something highly similar to a bed bug issue (my family member. was affected not I)I was horrified

Hilton failed me due to their fear of liability on the corporate level
My credit card company admirably stepped up to the plate thankfully on that occasion and luckily it wasn’t a points stay.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Oct 8, 2019 at 11:23 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 12:24 am

i have decades of experience with Hilton Hyatt Marriott IHG and consulted for a few of the programs over the years besides having spent a fortune across these programs
Hilton is typically consistent in my experience with service recovery failures
If I have any advice to you do not work with the Diamond Desk if working on a hotel issue from a past stay .By all means if at all possible go directly through Guest Assistance
Not going to take this further OT but the final response was from Customer Care.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
Regarding breakfast, I've stayed here many times as a Diam/Glob and never been able to take breakfast in the restaurant. That is a pretty concrete rule that they follow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.