Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Churchill London REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 11, 19, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MAN Flyer View Post
Have the fixed the lifts here yet ?. When I was there last week for the first day two of the three were out and while they had got a second one operational on the second day, they were still encouraging guests to use the staff lifts down the corridor.
The middle one was busted throughout our stay, and for one day it was down to one elevator. It was kind of a mess with all the entourage, security, and posse staying there. One day there was a fire alarm, and we were on the 9th floor. We were leaving anyway, so it wasn't much of an PITA for us, but we found that the service elevator was not disabled so we took that down to the ground floor, walked out and came back hours later when it was all over.
Old Jul 11, 19, 6:50 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAN Flyer View Post
Have the fixed the lifts here yet ?. When I was there last week for the first day two of the three were out and while they had got a second one operational on the second day, they were still encouraging guests to use the staff lifts down the corridor.
Left last Tuesday (July 9) after staying for a week. The center lift was broken the entire time. Never saw anyone working on it. On at least two days, a second lift was broken as well and sometimes, but not always, they were shuttling people to the staff lifts as others have noted.

This was not one of my better stays. I was left a single small cupcake with an American flag on it on July 4. Maybe that was compensation. LOL

The good news is that I somehow missed all the entourage others have referred to.

Incidentally, unlike a poster above, I would not call this hotel a "solid 5 star." It is definitely upscale compared to the average Hyatt Regency and I do overall like the hotel, but let's not confuse it with a real luxury hotel.
Old Jul 11, 19, 9:25 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RichardInSF View Post

Incidentally, unlike a poster above, I would not call this hotel a "solid 5 star." It is definitely upscale compared to the average Hyatt Regency and I do overall like the hotel, but let's not confuse it with a real luxury hotel.
I think it makes a solid 4* property. The lounge wouldn't even make my top 5 of all-time.
RichardInSF likes this.
Old Jul 12, 19, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by Aventine View Post
I think it makes a solid 4* property. The lounge wouldn't even make my top 5 of all-time.
Maybe this isn't the perfect forum for this, but my interest is peaked: what are your top lounges?
Old Jul 12, 19, 7:39 am

Programs: AS Million Mile Flyer, Marriott LTPP
Left last Tuesday (July 9) after staying for a week. The center lift was broken the entire time. Never saw anyone working on it. On at least two days, a second lift was broken as well and sometimes, but not always, they were shuttling people to the staff lifts as others have noted.

This was not one of my better stays. I was left a single small cupcake with an American flag on it on July 4. Maybe that was compensation. LOL

The good news is that I somehow missed all the entourage others have referred to.

Agree 4 stars This elevator issue seems to be of recent vintage have never had an issue before. Maybe long over due maintenance
Old Jul 12, 19, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
London is a weird city for hotels. I think the Churchill is a solid hotel that punches above its weight in the London market. For example, there are a fair number of hotels that are way more expensive and provide very poor value for money (many of which I have stayed in the past): DUKES, Claridges, Connaught, May Fair, St. James, etc. 500 quid a night is not unusual for a tiny room in a semi-decrepit setting with snooty service and weak water pressure. Similarly, it's quite easy to end up in some 4-star rated dump with ratty finishings and downright hostile service, and paying 250-300 quid for the privilege.

Under that metric, the Churchill is an excellent alternative for the price, location, and amenities. Is it 5-star? No, but very little in London really rises to that level, and then you're talking probably close to 1000 quid a night.
Old Jul 13, 19, 6:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Left yesterday and 2 lifts were out of action (including the middle one). This was only our second stay since World of Hyatt (after perhaps 40 stays under Gold Passport) and not too good. Check-in agent appeared bored and didn't even try to answer questions. Breakfast in the Montagu was pretty poor - ordered a 'soft omelette' and made do on the third attempt but was not remotely soft (first delivery to table was scrambled eggs) and service was very slow. Room was fine but turn-down seemed to consist of making the bed only - no restock of used shower amenities, provision of extra water or even shutting the curtains. I didn't really feel the hotel was any better than the Pullman, which is a solid 4* business hotel but no more.
Old Jul 13, 19, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
Used a TSU and was placed on a 9th floor balcony suite. Suite is not refurbished, but it's perfectly fine. Not as nice as the one time I was given one of the suites in the back that 1.5 bathrooms. That one was refurbished, although it had no balcony and no real view to speak of. Cardi B, A$AP Rocky, and Migos are in the da house so it's kind of a nightmare with the elevators. Don't fret if you don't know who they are, I don't either, but apparently they are famous for something or other.
How did you find out ASAP Rocky was in the Churchill on that night?
ASAP Rocky was in Stockholm on or before July 3rd and locked up in a Swedish jail during and after the 4th of July. Given how Sweden tends to deal with arrested foreigners in Sweden and the support he was seeking from the US embassy, I am pretty sure he wasn’t released and staying at the Churchill on the night or during the week in question. https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-raided-source

The hotel shutting off an elevator or more to facilitate the stay of guests they consider to be CIP/VIP enough (or who negotiated for it) doesn’t really surprise me, but I doubt it was done with ASAP Rocky then and there. Mechanical elevator problems seem more the order of the day this month at the hotel, and that is something the hotel should fix.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 13, 19 at 8:41 pm
Old Jul 13, 19, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GUWonder View Post

How did you find out ASAP Rocky was in the Churchill on that night?
ASAP Rocky was in Stockholm on or before July 3rd and locked up in a Swedish jail during and after the 4th of July. Given how Sweden tends to deal with arrested foreigners in Sweden and the support he was seeking from the US embassy, I am pretty sure he wasn’t released and staying at the Churchill on the night or during the week in question. https://www.foxnews.com/entertainmen...-raided-source

The hotel shutting off an elevator or more to facilitate the stay of guests they consider to be CIP/VIP enough (or who negotiated for it) doesn’t really surprise me, but I doubt it was done with ASAP Rocky then and there. Mechanical elevator problems seem more the order of the day this month at the hotel, and that is something the hotel should fix.
You are correct, it seems A$AP Rocky (whoever he is) did not make it to London. But the place was certainly like a scene out of the Star Wars Mos Esley Cantina. As for the middle elevator being busted, I don't think it had anything to do with VIPs, it was just plain busted. I did see one time when some burly fellas commandeered one of the elevators and prevented others from getting on in the name of "security." I was getting out of the other elevator but I would have been torqued if it had happened to me.
Old Aug 18, 19, 2:42 am

what % of the rooms are refurbished? considering staying here next week; am globalist
Old Aug 18, 19, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201 View Post
what % of the rooms are refurbished? considering staying here next week; am globalist
If nothing has changed since my last visit up to and including 5th floor. I like the new rooms. Last conversion I had with the GM he said the lounges and balance of the floors would be done at the sometime, and hinted the rooms might look a bit different. As we all know that is "subject to change" Still a nice place to stay.
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Aug 29, 19, 3:35 am

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Had a good stay here after switching over from a terrible stay at the Hilton Paddington. Was able to secure a TSU upgrade to the Regency "Suite" King (actually just a junior suite). I'd e-mailed the GM about the hotel switch but I think he was on vacation, but another manager e-mailed me that I had been upgraded to a Regency Executive Suite 'in the hopes of improving my stay in London' - I thought this was a really nice touch. I was given one of the renovated suites which meant it was on a low floor. The traffic noise was definitely noticeable but not as bad as I originally feared. I did like the renovated room; the finishings were nice even if not really my style.

The one thing in the room I really didn't like was the hardwood flooring. I prefer carpet in any case, but functionally it causes a lot of noise between the rooms. I could hear furniture scraping the floor in the room above me, and the housekeepers vacuuming was really loud.

One current issue with the hotel is that there is noisy construction occurring across Upper Berkeley Sreet on the north side of the property, including jackhammering going on throughout the day. It didn't really bother me, but if you're sensitive to construction noise it's probably best to avoid rooms on that side of the property (which, unfortunately, includes a good number of these suites as well as many of the TSU room type).

I will note that at check-in, the FD agent only offered breakfast in the lounge and seemed reluctant to allow me to take breakfast in the restaurant, although eventually relented. I'd never been denied breakfast in the restaurant here so not really sure what the issue was or what they're usually giving Globs these days.
Old Aug 29, 19, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by gengar View Post
Had a good stay here after switching over from a terrible stay at the Hilton Paddington. Was able to secure a TSU upgrade to the Regency "Suite" King (actually just a junior suite). I'd e-mailed the GM about the hotel switch but I think he was on vacation, but another manager e-mailed me that I had been upgraded to a Regency Executive Suite 'in the hopes of improving my stay in London' - I thought this was a really nice touch. I was given one of the renovated suites which meant it was on a low floor. The traffic noise was definitely noticeable but not as bad as I originally feared. I did like the renovated room; the finishings were nice even if not really my style.

The one thing in the room I really didn't like was the hardwood flooring. I prefer carpet in any case, but functionally it causes a lot of noise between the rooms. I could hear furniture scraping the floor in the room above me, and the housekeepers vacuuming was really loud.

One current issue with the hotel is that there is noisy construction occurring across Upper Berkeley Sreet on the north side of the property, including jackhammering going on throughout the day. It didn't really bother me, but if you're sensitive to construction noise it's probably best to avoid rooms on that side of the property (which, unfortunately, includes a good number of these suites as well as many of the TSU room type).

I will note that at check-in, the FD agent only offered breakfast in the lounge and seemed reluctant to allow me to take breakfast in the restaurant, although eventually relented. I'd never been denied breakfast in the restaurant here so not really sure what the issue was or what they're usually giving Globs these days.
Hardwood flooring is the current trend in hotel refresh packages. So far it's been fine, some chains add throw rugs to soften and deaden noise. There's nothing worse than checking into a room and the carpets are less than clean. The same refresh goes for showers and the shower pans and glass doors most ill fitting.
Old Aug 29, 19, 7:51 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LT Globalist
Originally Posted by edgewood49 View Post
Hardwood flooring is the current trend in hotel refresh packages. So far it's been fine, some chains add throw rugs to soften and deaden noise. There's nothing worse than checking into a room and the carpets are less than clean. The same refresh goes for showers and the shower pans and glass doors most ill fitting.
Fully agree, I try to avoid hotels that have carpets, from a hygienic perspective.
Old Aug 29, 19, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by gengar View Post

Thanks for the info. I'm checking in there on Saturday with a TSU. Do you have specific suggestions on what I should request when I get there, or if I should e-mail today, in advance? I should add that I'm very noise-sensitive.

Thanks again!!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: