Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt DFW REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Grand Hyatt DFW REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 29, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Globalist updates at Grand Hyatt DFW

Enjoyed another excellent stay here in May 2017 that included a two-level upgrade from entry king to executive suite (the second level of the upgrade required a request to the director of rooms).

Of note, they have slightly updated the T&C of the Globalist benefits as compared to the Diamond days.
Attached Images  
Old Sep 23, 2017, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I'm very fond of the Grand Hyatt DFW, but they're playing some games with C+P availability. I looked up a sample stay from 10/26-10/28 which has rooms with two queen beds for $178 and a king bed for $188. On pure points availability, you can book either two queens, a king, a runway view two queens, or a runway view king for 15,000 points. On cash + points, though, you can only book two queens or an ADA king.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I recently stayed at the Grand Hyatt DFW (one of our favorite hotels) and was surprised to have been upgraded to the Presidential Suite. This suite is unbelievable. I estimate it is approximately 1,400 sq ft with a wet bar and dining room, office area with 27" iMac and printer, living area with TV and Bose sound system, bedroom and extremely large bath area with a 10-head shower. I had reserved a traditional room. I have previously been upgraded to a runway view room but this upgrade was over the top!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 4:11 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: QF, VA, AC, Hyatt, Marriott
With rooms overlooking and seemingly very close to the runway, the Grand Hyatt DFW is my favourite airport hotel.

I used a free night certificate and was assigned an executive suite. These suites are really very nice. There’s a separate sitting area with a large TV, sofa, desk and chair, as well as a separate bedroom with a king bed, a smaller sofa and another large TV. The drapes – blockouts and privacy – are all electronic. There are a number of USB charges and outlets within easy reach next to the bed (there were also USB chargers installed at the bar tables in the bar). The bathroom is quite large with a separate tub and shower with June Jacobs amenities. The downside is the electronic minibar – the bane of the leisure traveller’s existence – but there was no issue having the charges wiped at check-out after I removed a couple of items to put my own in the refrigerator.

I thought it a nice touch that there’s a little trifold brochure in the room that helps you identify aircraft.

Service is great. Checking-in I was offered water and on check-out was offered a bottle by no less than three people. Staff are friendly and happy to assist. On this visit I discovered the Grapevine bus which departs on top of the hour out the front of the hotel and makes a handful of stops, including at the massive Grapevine Mills outlet mall. The cost is just $5 and it’s a short ride.

Breakfast is a $32 credit. I took it via room service and it came to $44 which was wiped at check-out. I think some of this charge was the gratuity and delivery charge so I was probably only a couple of dollars over the $32 allowance. It was delivered promptly and the food was very nice.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
This is one of my favorite hotels, period. On my stay in Dec-Jan, I got a welcome amenity (wine and snacks), had $80-$100 worth of breakfast waived every morning between two adults and one kid, was always offered water when I stood in the lobby more than 5 seconds, was personally welcomed by the manager one morning in the elevator, had all simple requests for items honored within 5 minutes (toothbrush, humidifier, towels, etc) and the free parking (for all guests) makes the hotel accessible even if you aren't doing anything at the airport but simply want a full service hotel in the middle of the metroplex. I had a fridge and microwave placed in my room without asking (I stayed 5 days), so no need to mess with the minibar fridge.

There was a few service flaws though -- I was told the business center was in the ballroom floor, but when I was down there, there wasn't a business center - just a place to print boarding passes (what appeared to have been the business center was under some sort of renovation work, not sure if it will return or what), and one afternoon, I wanted to go into the terminal to work at the business center in the admirals club at 1:15PM and was told that they couldn't issue 'temporary' boarding passes between 1-2PM because of a shift change or something. Then at 2:30, I went down and was told by someone else that the time was 2-3 that they couldn't order passes, I made him verify, and he was correct but I should have been able to enter at my original time at 1:15. That was a bit frustrating. I also asked the front desk if the kitchen could prepare some sort of sack lunch for my kid's winter camp program the next day, I was told that if called private dining the night before and made the request, they could evaluate some options and have a sack lunch brought to us at breakfast. But when I called private dining about the request, the person taking the call made it clear she only knew how to take room service orders off the menu and didn't know how to handle a special request, so I gave up and went to a grocer in the morning on the way to the drop off to pack a lunch instead (I wish the concierge would have just taken this request upon himself and made it happen some time instead of directing me elsewhere).
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I just completed another great stay here this week.

1. I made a points reservation last minute for one night (Had some AA IRROPs and found out I needed a room in the DFW area at 6PM day of arrival -- this being a cat 4, it was a bit of a splurge points wise for the DFW area, but the cash rate was over $500, and the DFW HP and DFW HR was booked up. These are the times where having fixed point redemptions make a program have that much more value). The only points booking or cash booking allowed was for the ADA-Queens.
2. I emailed a front desk agent who had emailed me welcome messages on previous stays and told her I didn't need an ADA room, any room would do and a suite would always be nice if available.
3. We Arrived near 9:30 PM. Front desk gave a wine voucher for the bar and said they needed about 30 minutes to finish the room. We asked for a pull-away bed for the kid.
4. We got a (or the?) presidential suite on the 8th floor, as described above. Smack center of the floor facing the runways. Had a living area, dining area, "kitchen" area with a stocked wet bar, separate bedroom with a king, bose sound system, computer/printer set up. The pull away was made up. Very nice.
5. Talked to the desk agent the morning we emailed after breakfast about late check out. She mentioned she was glad we got set up, she was home when we emailed her and so she called the front desk for us but didn't know if they were able to get something set up or not. I figured my email went to a general front desk email box, so that made me feel inconsiderate on my behalf bothering an employee off work, but still, taking the time to help out is what great service looks like.
6. Breakfast was great - the menu had a few minor changes since I was there last time (a month ago).
7. Late check out (4PM) was no problem. Spent most of the day with the kid at the pool on the roof taking the day off (I didn't have my work stuff with me). Wife made good use of the suite getting some work done. I still don't tire of the runway views.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
I love this hotel, but they're still playing games with points - most of their typical entry-level rooms are classified as Runway View, so you either have to book an ADA room or catch a rare day with standard availability.

Last edited by steveholt; Aug 8, 2018 at 12:30 pm Reason: correction
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by steveholt
I love this hotel, but they're still playing games with points - most of their typical entry-level rooms are classified as Runway View, so you either have to book an ADA room or catch a rare day with standard availability.
I've never had a problem using points (and certificates) here, and even when all that is 'left' on the points is an ADA room they have been very happy (in my experience) to set you up in whatever you want/need.
This is the only hotel in my experience that very consistently and proactively upgrades globalists to their 'best room available", including suites.
controller1 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by MarkOK
This is the only hotel in my experience that very consistently and proactively upgrades globalists to their 'best room available", including suites.
I have found more recently that I have to ask for the Globalist upgrade (either in the reservation notes, or in reply to a pre-arrival GM email, or at check in), but yes they typically accommodate if possible.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 7:29 pm

Well I hit the motherlode upgrade jackpot tonight at the GH DFW. Needed to book a 1-night stay on points, but the hotel was fully booked for days in advance. Finally on the afternoon of my arrival in town, an entry-level 2-queen room opened up which I grabbed. Ended up being upgraded to one of the three Presidential Suites, Room 840, which I was advised at check-in is the best of the three.

Phenomenal upgrade. No property treats this Globalist better, consistently.

59Impala likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by dpb132
Well I hit the motherlode upgrade jackpot tonight at the GH DFW. Needed to book a 1-night stay on points, but the hotel was fully booked for days in advance. Finally on the afternoon of my arrival in town, an entry-level 2-queen room opened up which I grabbed. Ended up being upgraded to one of the three Presidential Suites, Room 840, which I was advised at check-in is the best of the three.

Phenomenal upgrade. No property treats this Globalist better, consistently.
Wow... that shower! Nice going.

I like this place but have been disappointed that twice recently when I've wanted to stay it has also been fully booked well in advance!
Old Jan 17, 2019, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

A shower fit for a king!
Old Jan 18, 2019, 7:45 am

Yesssss, that is just like the suite I got last April too (more detailed post above) when the hotel was nearly sold out and I needed a room at the last minute. I don't think it was 840 (the whole place in your pictures seems 'inversed' compared to the suite I got) but like it in every other way. To my delight, they didn't seem to mind at all honoring my late checkout privileges when I decided to stay until 4PM that day. I also enjoyed one of the wines in the wine fridge in the room -- I never got charged for it either.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Yesssss, that is just like the suite I got last April too (more detailed post above) when the hotel was nearly sold out and I needed a room at the last minute. I don't think it was 840 (the whole place in your pictures seems 'inversed' compared to the suite I got) but like it in every other way. To my delight, they didn't seem to mind at all honoring my late checkout privileges when I decided to stay until 4PM that day. I also enjoyed one of the wines in the wine fridge in the room -- I never got charged for it either.
Best part of the presidential suite upgrade is that the wine and minibar are complimentary (even on award stays and upgrades). No liquor, but still a decent variety of beer, sodas, juice and a couple bottles of acceptable wine.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Best part of the presidential suite upgrade is that the wine and minibar are complimentary (even on award stays and upgrades). No liquor, but still a decent variety of beer, sodas, juice and a couple bottles of acceptable wine.
Sadly my suite was not stocked with any alcoholic beverages (although the check-in agent said it was, so there was a mix-up one way or the other). I decided not to investigate further.

There was waiting for me a welcome amenity of snacks and highbrow bottled water, and the mini fridge had a few sodas and juices in it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.