Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt DFW REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Grand Hyatt DFW REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2014, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I've always ordered what I wanted for breakfast via room service and it's been waived. But beyond that, I've never have been disappointed at any meal I've have had at this hotel.... One of the best in the USA!

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Looking forward to my first of probably 4-5 stays at this property this year. Having never stayed here before, and bringing my family on the first of several business trips, raised this question:

Upthread, it appears that Diamonds can opt for room service breakfast in lieu of the restaurant. Could anyone elaborate on how this is handled? Is it one entree and one beverage per person? Can the picky among us opt for a la carte options? How is the service charge/gratuity handled?

Ok, perhaps that is multiple questions. Anyone who could weigh in on the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 16, 2014, 1:53 pm

Is staying at this property worth it if you have a early flight out? It's an extra $80 for me. I have a early flight out of Cancun next week with a 12 hour layover and after some more reading seems like this hotel is right in Terminal D, but curious if I would have to go through the security line again? May be worth it if I'd be saving a significant amount of time.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:48 pm

^ They can give you a priority pass to get through security. Unfortunately, when I used the priority line in Terminal D back in April the line was longer than in the normal security line.
Old May 16, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by dailow
Is staying at this property worth it if you have a early flight out? It's an extra $80 for me. I have a early flight out of Cancun next week with a 12 hour layover and after some more reading seems like this hotel is right in Terminal D, but curious if I would have to go through the security line again? May be worth it if I'd be saving a significant amount of time.
Yes you would have to go through security again, but definitely worth it timewise especially for an early flight out. Every minute saved (like skipping the shuttle bus ride, no matter how short) means that many more minutes in bed. In fact that is why we usually end up choosing that hotel over other choices.
Old May 16, 2014, 10:48 pm

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
When going from the hotel back to your outbound flight, yes you need to clear security again.

What airline do you depart DFW from and will you have bags to check ?
If your airline does not serve Terminal D ...AND... if you have bags to check, then you'll need to ride a curbside shuttle to your departure terminal. If that's the case then if the Hyatt Regency is $80 cheaper than Hyatt Grand you'll need to decide if the nicer hotel is worth $80 as both will require a shuttle bus in the morning. Technically, if flying AA then the Regency doesn't require a shuttle since you can walk to terminal C. But if you're not familiar with the route, it's probably best to take the shuttle.

On the other hand, if your airline serves Terminal D ...OR... you don't have bags to check, then the Grand is super easy to get started in the morning. From the lobby take the escalators down, they drop off at the ticketing/gate level. You can now check your bags at the airline serving D, or if carry-on only go straight to security. Once passed security, if your flight doesn't depart Terminal D then follow the signs to Skylink, the monorail between terminals. Trains run every 2 minutes so much better than a shuttle. The traind run in circles both directions so once in the station (an escalator ride above gate level) just follow the signs for your gate. If after riding thru a stop or 2 you determine you're going the wrong direction, it's probably best to stay on and ride it out since the routes are circular.

Note that DFW's largest airline, AA, does have ticket counters in Terminal D. It makes no difference if your AA flight leaves Terminal D or not, you may check your bags and clear security in D.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:44 am

Thanks for all the info everyone. I am flying into AA and most likely will be flying out of Terminal D for Cancun. I am checking in a bag when I depart and since it is under 24 hours I hope that AA can hang onto it and check the bag through. Sounds like the GH might be worth the difference in price!
Old May 19, 2014, 3:48 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Hey guys,
I'm planning a trip to DFW for a weekend getaway. Is this hotel worth staying for the weekend or am I better off with a hyatt off airport? We will have no car, so I guess public transportation is not the best option here.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt globalist, Alaska mvp gold, Marriott platinum, ihg diamond
Thanks for all the info everyone. I am flying into AA and most likely will be flying out of Terminal D for Cancun. I am checking in a bag when I depart and since it is under 24 hours I hope that AA can hang onto it and check the bag through. Sounds like the GH might be worth the difference in price!
We arrived about 8:30 pm into DFW and the GH on AA and had a 10:15 am AA flight to Cozumel. AA made us retrieve the bags (4 bags of dive gear!) in DFW and recheck in the morning.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:52 pm

That sucks! I only have one bag, but was really hoping I wouldn't have to check in any bags.

Originally Posted by wilma
We arrived about 8:30 pm into DFW and the GH on AA and had a 10:15 am AA flight to Cozumel. AA made us retrieve the bags (4 bags of dive gear!) in DFW and recheck in the morning.
Old May 19, 2014, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
AA will only check through if the layover is less than 12 hours.
Old May 20, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
FYI, there is now even more of a reason to stay at this hotel. I saw that there's new rail service to and from the DFW airport to downtown starting August 2014! Now, a car is no longer needed to make trips to the city.
Old May 20, 2014, 8:37 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by doss1
FYI, there is now even more of a reason to stay at this hotel. I saw that there's new rail service to and from the DFW airport to downtown starting August 2014! Now, a car is no longer needed to make trips to the city.
that's big news indeed ^ August 18th
Looks like its out of Terminal A

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/trans...ming-along.ece

http://transportationblog.dallasnews...w-aug-18.html/
Old May 21, 2014, 2:26 pm

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by doss1
Hey guys,
I'm planning a trip to DFW for a weekend getaway. Is this hotel worth staying for the weekend or am I better off with a hyatt off airport? We will have no car, so I guess public transportation is not the best option here.
This is a horrific hotel to stay at if you're looking to explore dallas or ft worth if you don't have a car, IMHO.
Old May 31, 2014, 11:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Best Hotels to get Stuck at Overnight

Grand Hyatt DFW #1

http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...night/9618753/
Old Jul 10, 2014, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
haha nice... will be stuck at Grand Hyatt DFW for one night (then off to maui!).

Recommendations on the diamond breakfast? Should I do the in-room?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.