Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2006, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold

For more information, look at the link below:

http://www.hyattpressroom.com//nPRDo...ent_type_id=25
Old Nov 1, 2006, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
I received a nice letter from the new GM of the property last week informing me of the new hotel and her new position there, welcoming me to try the property... nice touch!
Old Nov 4, 2006, 7:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
I'll be staying a night at this new hotel during its opening week. I'm really looking forward to it. This is a terrific addition to Hyatt's portfolio in Japan.

Where they classify hotels geographically is a little strange, though. Hyatt.com lists this hotel as being in Tokyo, even though it's a couple of hours outside of the city. But maybe it's because the pre-opening office is in Tokyo.

And they locate the Park Hyatt more precisely in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, but just list the Century Hyatt in Tokyo, together with the Grand Hyatt and now this hotel in Hakone, even though the Century Hyatt and the Park Hyatt are only blocks away from each other.
Old Nov 4, 2006, 8:10 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by c2c&RTW
Where they classify hotels geographically is a little strange, though. Hyatt.com lists this hotel as being in Tokyo, even though it's a couple of hours outside of the city. But maybe it's because the pre-opening office is in Tokyo.
This page correctly refers to the hotel location as Kanagawa Prefecture
http://hakone.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp
(It also shows an address for the pre-opening office in central Tokyo).

FWIW, it is possible to travel away from the city and still be officially "in Tokyo" a couple of hours later. (For example, if you go towards Okutama). Better still, get on a boat to the Ogasawara Islands, and you will arrive at your destination almost 24 hours later... and still be in Tokyo.

And they locate the Park Hyatt more precisely in Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, but just list the Century Hyatt in Tokyo, together with the Grand Hyatt and now this hotel in Hakone, even though the Century Hyatt and the Park Hyatt are only blocks away from each other.
Even though Park Hyatt and Century Hyatt are a short walk apart, they are in different wards. Park Hyatt is in Shinjuku-Ku and Century is in Shibuya-Ku. Japanese addresses are notoriously unhelpful.
Old Nov 5, 2006, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by jib71
This page correctly refers to the hotel location as Kanagawa Prefecture
http://hakone.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/index.jsp
(It also shows an address for the pre-opening office in central Tokyo).
Yes, that's true. But if you do a search for hotels in Japan on Hyatt.com, it's listed as one of the three in "Tokyo," at least for now. (The Park Hyatt is listed as the only one in "Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo.")

Originally Posted by jib71
Even though Park Hyatt and Century Hyatt are a short walk apart, they are in different wards. Park Hyatt is in Shinjuku-Ku and Century is in Shibuya-Ku. Japanese addresses are notoriously unhelpful.
I believe that the Century Hyatt is also in Shinjuku-ku. It's in Nishi-Shinjuku 2-chome and the Park Hyatt is in Nishi-Shinjuku 3-chome. The Park Hyatt is to the South of the Century Hyatt and is actually closer to Shibuya-ku. If you cross the street with the expressway above it immediately to the South of the Shinjuku Park Tower, you're in Yoyogi.

I couldn't agree more about Japanese addresses.
Old Nov 15, 2006, 9:53 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
And how do we get there?

Can someone please offer directions from either Tokyo or Kyoto to the Hakone property? I will have a JR rail pass. Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2006, 12:31 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Can someone please offer directions from either Tokyo or Kyoto to the Hakone property? I will have a JR rail pass. Thanks.
I've obviously never been to this property before, but it's in Gora, so you can just go to that town and ask around. It's a pretty small place. I'll try that in a little over a month, so I guess I'll see how that goes.

If you are using a JR rail pass, you should take a Kodama Shinkansen (i.e., the one that makes all stops) to Odawara. It's on the Tokaido Shinkansen line, so this applies whether you are coming from Tokyo or Kyoto. (It's much closer to Tokyo than Kyoto, though.) From there, you can take the Hakone Tozan train (note: it's not a JR line) all the way to Gora (it's the last stop).

Alternatively, if you are coming from Shinjuku (say, from the Park Hyatt), you can take the Odakyu Odawara line from the Odakyu Shinjuku station (on the side of the JR Shinjuku station closer to the Hyatt hotels). That will take you to Odawara, or even further on to Hakone-Yumoto. From either station, you can transfer to the Hakone Tozan line to Gora.

It's 2+ hours from Shinjuku to Gora and maybe a bit less than two hours from Tokyo station.
Old Nov 17, 2006, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
Thank you. Later when you have time can you post the cost of the non JR portions. Looking forward to your report.
Hello from Tokyo.
The cost of the non-JR portion is JPY660/ow and will take one hour from Odawara to Gora. Once at JR-Odawara station, take the "Hakone Tozan Tetsudo" to Hakone-Yumoto (last stop), change trains again (same Hakone Tozan Tetsudo) and Gora will be the last stop.
The best option from Gora to the Hyatt Resort is a 5 minute taxi ride. Taxis are available in front of the station and I suggest you to tell the driver that you want to go to the Hyatt Resort which is the former "Granforet Gora Hotel" as I am sure that they have no idea where the "Hyatt" is.

Last edited by ExploreTheWorld; Nov 17, 2006 at 7:43 am Reason: spelling
Old Nov 28, 2006, 11:18 pm
DCW

I'll be staying a night at this new hotel during its opening week. I'm really looking forward to it. This is a terrific addition to Hyatt's portfolio in Japan.

Will also stay there during thier opening week. Want to stay there 17 & 18 but was sold out on 17, so will be there 18 & 19.

This is my first time to Hakone, any tip on how to get there (beside the information provide by the hotel). Will be staying at either Park Hyatt Tokyo or Mandarin Oriental Tokyo.
Old Nov 29, 2006, 12:46 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The train from Hakone-Yumoto onwards is single track and more like a mountain trolley than a train. Has a lot of character but not very fast!
Old Nov 30, 2006, 5:08 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I was talking with E-san at the Grand Hyatt and among other things he mentioned that the HR Hakone is going to be somewhat geared toward people staying at the GH or PH during the week, but want to get away for a weekend in the "country". The PH should have good info on how to get there. As c2c&RTW posted, you should be able to get one of the trains out of Shinjuku Station... enjoy! I wish I was going there sooner than later...

Originally Posted by DCW
Will be staying at either Park Hyatt Tokyo or Mandarin Oriental Tokyo.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 10:43 am

Report on HR Hakone

Just back from Japan, including a brief, one-night stay at the new HR Hakone.

You'll definitely want to take a taxi from Gora station. If you arrive during the daytime, there should be taxis waiting at the station, but if you arrive at night, you may have to go to the taxi garage off the street behind the station (cross the railroad track and make a left; the taxi garage will be on the right). The hotel is not that far from the station, but it's a steep uphill walk. Another option would be to take the funicular cable car (the one that goes to the ropeway) three or four stops to the Naka-Gora or Kami-Gora stations and then walk from there. If you are in a hurry, I suppose you could take a taxi from Hakone-Yumoto station to avoid the slow switchback train from there to Gora station (around 40 minutes), but that would be probably be quite expensive, and you would miss the scenic train ride.

The hotel is pretty big compared to the other hotels in Gora, but it still only has around 80 rooms. The rooms are very large (by Japanese standards) with the usual understated and modern Hyatt style (similar to the HR Kyoto, a notch below the GH Tokyo). They have two beds (like U.S. full-size double beds; smaller than Queen-size) placed right next to each other. No king rooms. I was in a deluxe room with an enclosed balcony area, separated from the room by curtains. There are some nice touches like a huge flat-screen TV, small Bose radio/CD-player (and a CD; a Diana Krall album in my case), and motion sensor-activated lighting for the entry area.

The bathrooms have Japanese-style bathing set-ups, with a small stool, bowl, low faucet, and hand shower, plus a soaking tub. However, the onsen (hot spring-fed public bath) is a much better option (and one of the points of going to a Hakone resort) unless you really don't like public baths (separate male and female baths, of course). The (usual high-tech Japanese) toilet is in a separate room together with a small sink.

The only negative about the room is that the high-speed internet access isn't free (it's easy to get spoiled by the Grand Hyatt Tokyo), but then again, it's a resort and not a business hotel. JPY42/minute, JPY1,575 max per day.

They provide yukata, tanzen (in the winter; these are the jacket-like outer robes that you put on over the yukata), and geta (wooden clogs) to wear around the hotel. The geta are Japanese-sized and not very comfortable if you have wide feet.

The onsen is really nice. It's open from 6a-12 midnight and is included in the hotel charge. I didn't try the spa. (Spa services are extra, of course.) The onsen has a locker room if you want to change there instead of in your room. The bathing area has around seven or eight sit-down faucet/hand shower stalls (with nice wooden stools and bowls) and three or four stand-up shower stalls. The pool itself is quite large, maybe twenty feet by forty feet, with stone tiles. (I am assuming that the lay-out is identical for the separate male and female bathing areas.) The water isn't scalding and the sulphur smell isn't too strong.

If you feel self-concious walking around in yukata and plan to make use of the onsen or spa, you may want to ask to stay in the east/west wing instead of the north wing so you won't have to walk across the public areas.

The lobby overlooks a lounge (unimaginatively called "the living room") that is built around a wood-burning fireplace (that you can smell pratically all over the hotel). There's another area (called "the drawing room") with a big TV, a small library, and some comfortable chairs. I didn't try the restaurant (called "the dining room"; no, I'm not kidding), but it's very modern-looking, with an open-kitchen design and a decently-sized, glass-walled wine "cellar" out front. There's a small garden area and a terrace-like walkway between the two wings.

Don't expect too much as a Diamond member. No amenity, no Regency lounge, no free breakfast (although there is free coffee or tea for everyone in the hotel's main lounge area). I was upgraded from a regular room to a deluxe room with a balcony and a nice view of the mountains.

My stay was too short to make the most of the hotel, but I enjoyed my time there (especially the onsen). This is a nice addition to the already excellent set of Hyatt properties in Japan. I'm definitely going back for a longer stay.
Old Dec 20, 2006, 9:03 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
That's a great review. But I thought the complimentary breakfast is the standard Diamond benefit. Did you complain about it with the hotel management or GP CS?
Old Dec 21, 2006, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by jimmychang
But I thought the complimentary breakfast is the standard Diamond benefit. Did you complain about it with the hotel management or GP CS?
No, but then I'm not really one to complain about that sort of thing. In any case, my stay was just for the one night and I had an early start the next day. If I had been on a multi-night stay, I might have asked about it.

Also, it seemed like the staff were a mix of experienced people brought in from other Japanese Hyatts (including at least one from Kyoto) and new people who may be less familiar with the details of the GP program. I'm not making excuses for them. That was just an observation.
Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:59 am
trd

Programs: DL Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
I spent last night at the new Hakone property. To fill in and comment on C2C 's report. I also was upgraded to a deluxe twin room. Very large by Japanese standards -- certainly a lovely view, VERY NICE. I had dinner -- you only have two choices: French or Japanese. I had the french @Y10000 -- choice of either lamb or beef as entre but rest of meal was "set". Fine food, tho the service was a bit "eager". As a diamond I inquired about the breakfast and was told that the Continental was included for diamonds, I then asked if I should just sign for it or if I should have a "dining certificate" (Japanese hotels seem to like those). I was then given a dining certificate saying "breakfast C". When I presented this this morning I tried to just order the continental but the server insisted that I order either the French or Japanese full breakfast -- so I did. The continental was listed at Y2200 or so and the French was Y3200 or so. The French was a very formal breakfast: yogurt with fresh fruit; then a plate of two cheeses and ham; 4 kinds of bread; then I ordered two eggs over easy which came with bacon, sausages, potatoes and mushrooms; coffee. Excellent breakfast.

As to no RC lounge, that may be true but everyone in the hotel gets 3 hours of complementary beverages (it was either 4-7 or 5-8) in the "living room". I am not sure if cocktails are included but beer, wine and soft drinks definitely are.

When I checked out I asked for a taxi to be called to take me to Gora Station -- the front desk arranged for the hotel shuttle to take me -- saving Y700 or so. I would imagine that if I had a Japanese cell phone and spoke Japanese that they would pick you up from the station also. I had taken a taxi on arrival. If you have vitually no luggage, say only a backpack, you could just take the funicular to the Kami-Gora station; get off on the right hand side, walk straight for about a block then bear to your right on the bigger road for another 2-3 blocks and you're at the hotel . . . but the road is not terribly smooth and down quite a hill, so roller boards won't be real easy.

and I received a note from the manager and a plate of "perfect" strawberries (as the amenity?).

I inquired about the history of the hotel. Apparently it was built and opened 3 years or so ago as an independent property -- it only lasted for 4-6 months and then closed. Hyatt then did further "renovations" and just reopened it.

All in all a very pleasant stay. I had also just stayed at the HR Kyoto (and had been upgraded to a Deluxe Balcony King room --wow was that NICE!). Apparently run by the same management -- cross promotions, same toiletries, etc. Both excellent properties.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.