Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Hakone, Japan REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2017, 1:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Believe it or not, I have schlepped my bags on the Hakone-Tozan train and somehow managed to get them to fit. The train ride is worth doing at least one way because it is so ancient a train. There are two manually operated switchbacks along the way.

Note that the correct side to get off the Hakone-Tozan cable car going uphill is the left side.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 2:54 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Believe it or not, I have schlepped my bags on the Hakone-Tozan train and somehow managed to get them to fit. The train ride is worth doing at least one way because it is so ancient a train. There are two manually operated switchbacks along the way.
I don't doubt that you could; it must have been a bit of a challenge, though! We rode on a Sunday afternoon and got on when the train pulled into the station so were able to secure seats. By the time we departed, the cars were packed full (imagine Tokyo Metro morning commute full) and while I don't doubt that it is possible to travel the train with luggage, I'd discourage the thought due to the potential discomfort of yourselves and others. YMMV.

For those contemplating riding the train; if you sit on the right side, have your cameras ready. Not soon after departing up the hill, you will pass over the scenic Deyama Bridge and the conductor will slow a bit so you can take pictures of the lush scenery. I was too slow to get a decent photo.

Note that the correct side to get off the Hakone-Tozan cable car going uphill is the left side.
Sorry to be pedantic; if you are going uphill on the cable car, you will want to exit on the *right* side to get to the Hyatt. If you get off on the left, you will be stuck on the wrong side of the track with no easy way to cross.

For those riding up to the top to take the ropeway (or just to sight-see); if you see a classic Airstream Trailer outside that's been converted into a mobile cafe, consider stopping in; the coffee and hot chocolate is excellent and the owner/barista speaks excellent English..

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 1, 2017 at 3:50 pm
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
...Sorry to be pedantic; if you are going uphill on the cable car, you will want to exit on the *right* side to get to the Hyatt. If you get off on the left, you will be stuck on the wrong side of the track with no easy way to cross....
Darn, I thought I had that right for sure!

The time I took my bags on the Hakone-Tozan line, it was an off-peak weekday and the train was practically empty.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 1:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Sorry to be pedantic; if you are going uphill on the cable car, you will want to exit on the *right* side to get to the Hyatt. If you get off on the left, you will be stuck on the wrong side of the track with no easy way to cross.
Personally, I don't see why you'd want to do that. It's not a particularly easy or scenic walk to take. Just check out the shops near Gora station while you wait for the shuttle to arrive.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Personally, I don't see why you'd want to do that. It's not a particularly easy or scenic walk to take. Just check out the shops near Gora station while you wait for the shuttle to arrive.
I did it because I think the cable car is fun!
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I did it because I think the cable car is fun!
Sure, but just make the full round trip.

For such a small mountain town, there sure are a LOT of interesting transportation options.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 1:02 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I know you are a frequent visitor and far more knowledgeable about Hakone than me. It was our first time to Hakone and we took the cable car to get the full experience and maximize the use of our travel passes. We took the cable car up from Gora twice and also up to the top so we could connect to the ropeway. I didn't find the walk from the station to the Hyatt to be particularly difficult (going downhill helps). I'll admit that walking uphill was a little more challenging but not too much so.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:05 pm

I've only seen references for diamond / globalist reviews... I've read earlier that this HR does not offer club lounge. If you apply Explorist club lounge upgrade here, do you still get breakfast etc? Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shingu79
I've only seen references for diamond / globalist reviews... I've read earlier that this HR does not offer club lounge. If you apply Explorist club lounge upgrade here, do you still get breakfast etc?
No. And the answer is not specific to Hakone. This question has been answered many times over in the various World of Hyatt based threads.
Old May 7, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HH G,Hyatt E,*A Gold, OW Emerald.
No. And the answer is not specific to Hakone. This question has been answered many times over in the various World of Hyatt based threads.
I had the same question.....but then, CAN you apply Explorist club lounge upgrade here? What do you get in return?
Old May 7, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Tokyoite
I had the same question.....but then, CAN you apply Explorist club lounge upgrade here? What do you get in return?
Explorist Club Access awards cannot be applied at any property that does not have a club. HR Hakone does not have a club.
Tokyoite likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 7:56 pm
Suspended

Any recent reviews here? Thinking about staying here for a night. How is the onsen?
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by kapooncha
Any recent reviews here? Thinking about staying here for a night. How is the onsen?
Pretty basic compared to other onsens I've been to.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aventine
Pretty basic compared to other onsens I've been to.
That's disappointing.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kapooncha
That's disappointing.
Just a single large rectangular indoor bath. At least the amenities are nice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.