Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Regency Santa Clara REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 29, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I am currently staying at Santa Clara, and it seems like some kind of big convention is going on this weekend. As a usual, no upgrade has been granted. However, they let me have in-room dinning for the diamond breakfast because tusca will be pretty busy because of the convention. I was allowed to order up to $50 from the menu including tax, and 18% service charge. It was pleasant stay like always.
Old May 29, 2010, 7:04 pm

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Were there last weekend, and RC was sort of "soft" open. It was closed, and we got the 2500DN GP points, but we could use the coffee machine, drink the beverages in the fridge, etc. on the night of arrival. By later that night and the next day, though, the supplies were painfully low, and the coffee machine was out of milk, etc., and nothing was replenished. Not complaining at all -- just observing. One other time we were here in a weekend, someone came in and emptied the trash and topped off the supplies a few times -- and there were cookies and dry snacks -- but this time it was different. So, YMMV. Restaurant buffet was VERY good, as was breakfast service. We left a $7 tip, and ended up with $1.60 "overage" billed to the room, and the FD said that was due to the $18 allowance per breakfast, plus tax and some gratuity already added in. So, I guess you could leave a $5.40 tip and your server would get a bit more generous tip and you would not have an overage. I would always rather the server got a nice tip if possible, so we'll try $5.40 next time.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:19 pm

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by slocouple
Were there last weekend, and RC was sort of "soft" open. It was closed, and we got the 2500DN GP points, but we could use the coffee machine, drink the beverages in the fridge, etc. on the night of arrival. By later that night and the next day, though, the supplies were painfully low, and the coffee machine was out of milk, etc., and nothing was replenished. Not complaining at all -- just observing. One other time we were here in a weekend, someone came in and emptied the trash and topped off the supplies a few times -- and there were cookies and dry snacks -- but this time it was different. So, YMMV. Restaurant buffet was VERY good, as was breakfast service. We left a $7 tip, and ended up with $1.60 "overage" billed to the room, and the FD said that was due to the $18 allowance per breakfast, plus tax and some gratuity already added in. So, I guess you could leave a $5.40 tip and your server would get a bit more generous tip and you would not have an overage. I would always rather the server got a nice tip if possible, so we'll try $5.40 next time.
My understanding is that the server receives the entire $7 tip but that the voucher only covers 15% tax ($5.40) so the reminder is billed to your room. My experience was similar.
Old May 31, 2010, 9:36 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
This still confuses me...so $18 twice is $36; add 8.75% sales tax is another $3.15, for $39.15. This jibes with my recollection that the pre-tip total (meal and tax) was under $40. So, I added $7 tip. I got conflicting reports about what would have happened had I not left a tip -- server said it was not automatic; FD said a certain tip (I agree here, probably 15%) would have been. I wonder if I do or don't add $5.40 will my server receive the same amount? Maybe it's best to make sure to leave something over the $5.40, just to make sure they have to do the accounting and pay the server?
Originally Posted by benmaller
My understanding is that the server receives the entire $7 tip but that the voucher only covers 15% tax ($5.40) so the reminder is billed to your room. My experience was similar.
Old May 31, 2010, 10:47 am

Programs: HH Dia, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by slocouple
This still confuses me...so $18 twice is $36; add 8.75% sales tax is another $3.15, for $39.15. This jibes with my recollection that the pre-tip total (meal and tax) was under $40. So, I added $7 tip. I got conflicting reports about what would have happened had I not left a tip -- server said it was not automatic; FD said a certain tip (I agree here, probably 15%) would have been. I wonder if I do or don't add $5.40 will my server receive the same amount? Maybe it's best to make sure to leave something over the $5.40, just to make sure they have to do the accounting and pay the server?
My experience has been that the tip is added automatically on vouchers that indicate that gratuity is included. However, the safest method would be as you mention. Add a reasonable tip (on your bill, not in cash) to insure that server receives the tip and any overage from the standard tip will be added to your bill. I do this unless the server specifically tells me that gratuity is included.
Old May 31, 2010, 11:20 am

Programs: UA,AA
Checked with FD they are saying the tips go to server, on my last stays, I had extra $5 on my Costco Vouchers, I asked the FD to add it on my tips for the room cleaner.
Old May 31, 2010, 1:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium,Delta LT Sky Club,Hertz Presidential Circle
Originally Posted by Dodoldurian
Checked with FD they are saying the tips go to server, on my last stays, I had extra $5 on my Costco Vouchers, I asked the FD to add it on my tips for the room cleaner.
I've had an small $5 to $10 extra balance using the Costco certificates....so at check out, should I just request the front desk to credit it to the housekeeper as a tip? Would it go directly to the housekeeper that serviced my room or would it just go to the "pool" for all the housekeepers to share?
Old May 31, 2010, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA,AA
Originally Posted by lswcih
I've had an small $5 to $10 extra balance using the Costco certificates....so at check out, should I just request the front desk to credit it to the housekeeper as a tip? Would it go directly to the housekeeper that serviced my room or would it just go to the "pool" for all the housekeepers to share?
You need to tell FD to put the reminding money for house keeping, othwise it went to Hyatt's General Funds.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:08 am

Is it possible to get both the A1 double airline base miles and get the 2500 gp points for club closure.

If not, what do people think is the better value - 500 + 500 +3000 AA miles = 4000 + 1000 diamond amneity points (using the AA promotion)

or 2500 closure + 1000 diamond amentity points? = 3500 gp points?
Old Jun 5, 2010, 11:58 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by FatB
Is it possible to get both the A1 double airline base miles and get the 2500 gp points for club closure.
According to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14077712-post20.html you can still get DN (2500 club closure) if you choose miles. What's better - only you can decide that.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA:PLT&3MM, HGP:DIA, SPG:GOLD
Originally Posted by peteropny
According to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/14077712-post20.html you can still get DN (2500 club closure) if you choose miles. What's better - only you can decide that.
Choose Miles: 500 miles + 500 A1 miles + 3,000 AA25K miles + potentially 10,000 AA25K bonus miles after 5th stay + 1,000 points Diamond amenity + 2,500 points DN lounge closed

Choose Points: Base points + 30% Diamond Bonus points + 1,000 points Diamond amenity + 2,500 points DN lounge closed

Boils down to: 500 miles + 500 miles + 3,000 miles + potentially 10,000 miles after 5th stay >? Base points + 30% Diamond Bonus points

I think that's a no-brainer.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by bp888
Choose Miles: 500 miles + 500 A1 miles + 3,000 AA25K miles + potentially 10,000 AA25K bonus miles after 5th stay + 1,000 points Diamond amenity + 2,500 points DN lounge closed

Choose Points: Base points + 30% Diamond Bonus points + 1,000 points Diamond amenity + 2,500 points DN lounge closed

Boils down to: 500 miles + 500 miles + 3,000 miles + potentially 10,000 miles after 5th stay >? Base points + 30% Diamond Bonus points

I think that's a no-brainer.

wasn't sure if A1 (double miles) stacked with DN (2500 points) or if they somehow cancelled each other.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:20 am

Originally Posted by xuni4everx
I am currently staying at Santa Clara, and it seems like some kind of big convention is going on this weekend. As a usual, no upgrade has been granted. However, they let me have in-room dinning for the diamond breakfast because tusca will be pretty busy because of the convention. I was allowed to order up to $50 from the menu including tax, and 18% service charge. It was pleasant stay like always.
Sorry, am a little confused. You were allowed $50 total (after all taxes and 19% service charge added in) or $50 before taxes and service charge?
Old Jun 6, 2010, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by FatB
wasn't sure if A1 (double miles) stacked with DN (2500 points) or if they somehow cancelled each other.
You will get both A1 and DN on this property, that is what I got today.
Old Jun 6, 2010, 7:51 am

On my last stay here, I asked about the availability of suites since they don't even list them on the main site. I was told the hotel has 6 suites. However, this hotel is attached to the convention center and the groups that come in routinely get the suites added to their contract. Since there is always something going on at the convention center, suites are hard to come by for normal guests.

Hope this helps anyone looking for complimentary and/or diamond suite upgrades.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.