Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2004, 7:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hyatt Regency Dubai mini trip report

After a 5 night stay for a conference, I though some observations might be in order.

The property is one of the oldest 5* hotels in Dubai, and is located on the Deira side of the creek. A convenient location for the fish market and about a 15min walk to the gold souk. Taxis are plentiful and the airport is only USD8 away.

Check in was painfully slow. A wait of 10 minutes seemed pretty typical with much paper shuffling and walking around by the agent. My Platinum card got no recognition.

The lobby is noisy and quite cramped. Style wise think municipal car park with music from competing restaurants blasting out. The lobby lounge has the slowest service I've ever had in a hotel F&B outlet and they got the order wrong.

I was booked in a superior King and was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the room. Nice furniture, well laid out and a very comfy bed. The pillows could be firmer though, and the 2 seater sofa was not that comfortable. Bathroom was pretty standard issue, with a normal-for-the-Middle East bidet.

The revolving restaurant (how '80's) bucked the F&B trend with a good lunchtime buffet spread and speedy, friendly service. Didn't check out any of the other restaurants as Dubai is overwhelmed with good eating options, and always eating in the hotel feels like a failure!

There is an OK bar off the lobby, but this became hooker central by about 10pm. Indeed, one of the most notable points about the hotel was the number of prostitiutes walking around in the evening. Several of the women on the conference complained loudly - I can see why as the whole scene was very overt.

Business centre charges were the ususal extortionate prices - USD15 per hour for internet. There is also an ice rink attached to the hotel, and rather more usefully a small supermarket too.

Check out was marginally faster that check in, but still glacially slow by US or Asian standards.

Overall, a very average experience. Having been disappointed with the old Saudi properties, the Regency HK and the GH Singapore; Sheraton and Hilton's money is safe for the moment. This stay was nothing to get me excited and the lack of any mid-level status recognition was disappointing.
Old Feb 20, 2004, 7:54 pm

I agree with swanhunter's comments, having stayed at the hotel last spring. The property is average at best and should rate no more than 3 stars by Dubai standards. Unless you are a die-hard Hyatt loyalist, I would recommend choosing another hotel (there are numerous other 4 and 5-star hotels in Dubai to choose from). The Grand Hyatt in Dubai (which opened last April or May) is a far nicer Hyatt property, but is located several miles from downtown Dubai.
Old Feb 21, 2004, 1:23 am

Programs: UA GS 2MM
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RMC500:
I agree with swanhunter's comments, having stayed at the hotel last spring. The property is average at best and should rate no more than 3 stars by Dubai standards. Unless you are a die-hard Hyatt loyalist, I would recommend choosing another hotel (there are numerous other 4 and 5-star hotels in Dubai to choose from). The Grand Hyatt in Dubai (which opened last April or May) is a far nicer Hyatt property, but is located several miles from downtown Dubai. </font>
The Grand is located next to Wafi City and is a 5 minute car ride to downtown (no traffic). However after 2 stays at the Grand I can't say that it is anything but an average Hyatt. Rooms are better than average and bathrooms are quite nice but they have their problems. Service at the hotel is sub-par on all accounts.

In the rooms the air conditioning is terrible! It can be either freezing (it turns on full blast when you take your key out to leave) or hot (when it is not one). The digital thermostat is impossible to manage. Keep in mind this problem was not isolated as it happened in two different rooms.

Bed is as hard as a rock, although linens and bedding are comfy. Exec. lounge is large but it is crowded at all times and in some cases there was a queue for a seat in the morning breakfast hours. In room internet will set you back about 30 USD a day.

But food and bars are numerous and great and the campus design is amazing. Overall it is a much better bet than the Regency but if I was staying in the Creek area I would without hesitation recommend the Hilton Dubai Creek. Much smaller, the Grand Hyatt campus has nearly 1000 rooms, better executive lounge, better city view and location, similar room size, faster and more polite service and top tier food. The only thing it lacks is dining/drinking choices.

Either way go to Dubai-it is a great city.

Old Nov 29, 2005, 6:05 pm

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Since the Hyatt Regency Dubai underwent a major remodeling, I'd like to ask if anyone can comment on the suites and the Regency Club after the remodeling.

I have stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Dubai a few times, and generally liked it. Now, I know the Hyatt Regency is much older and the pool area is not nearly as nice, but for an award, how would one of the new suites in the Hyatt Regency compare to a grand club room in the Grand Hyatt? The Hyatt Regency is a cat. 1, so a suite could be had for 8,000 or a regency club room for 5,000 (if you are a diamond).

Does the Hyatt Regency offer a shuttle service to the beach (as the Grand Hyatt does)?

I have reservations at both properties for January and am trying to decide how to split the days between the Regency and the Grand.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Football Fan; Dec 4, 2005 at 6:24 pm
Old Nov 30, 2005, 3:45 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Yes, but for an award, it is category 4, I believe, so a regular room there would be more "expensive" in terms of points than a suite in the Hyatt Regency, and for a FFN, after reading the reviews and having been to the Grand Hyatt, I think I would prefer the Grand Hyatt over the Park Hyatt.
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:45 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador

Preface: Flew into DXB and spent one night at the GH. Need to stay credit so moved to HR DXB.

Rate: Used points to confirm room on Club.

Transportation: Took a cab from GH to HR. I think it was about 14 AED.

Check-in: Totally opposite of the HR. The agent did not seem to know what she was doing. When I asked her about the view from the room she was without at clue. My key was not coded properly so I had to go down to get it keyed for Club floor access. Also only given on key so needed to get another to keep the AC going. Never got a Diamond amenity. It was just the start of a disappointing stay.

Perks: None as far as I was concernced. The Hotel is a total pass.

Room: The rooms are small as compared to the GH. At least 33% smaller if not more. You enter onto carpet and there is a small closet. Following the wall to the right you have a fabric chair (more on him later) and they have this wood single unit that runs along the wall to your TV. Come around and you have your bed and a contemporary desk with chair. The bathroom is small with a very small shower which has a glass rounded door on a metal track. You feel like you are in a rocket ship. The room did not have a hair dryer. That chair was stained with who knows what. The bathroom was so dim with the lights on you would think only a nightlight was on. I went downstairs to get my keys and ended up with the duty manager I believe. He cut new keys, went up to the rooms to see my concerns and said someone would work on the items. When I returned a maintenance person was in the bathroom proud of his work. They had to clean the lenses covering the lights and change some bulbs he explained. How could a maid not notice this? The chair was never cleaned.

Later after no person showed for the chair I asked about a room move. They offered me another room but when I looked on the floor map it was by the service elevators and had a worse view. I think they knew I was disappointed because later in the evening I got a call offering a room move to a suite or dinner at one of the restaurants. I declined for another time. I probably should have taken this up since I will not be returning to the HR. BTW. The elevators for whatever reason smell like fish. And not fresh fish.

Communications: 121 AED all in for 24 hour period. My local calls were not charged as they were at the GH.

Parking: ?

Gym: ?

Spa: ?

Eating venues: I had a club sandwich from room service. It was good and the price was reasonable considering all in.

Local markets: There is a shopping center attached to the Hyatt which has a market. Not much else.

Local: Near the souk.

Negatives: Need anymore?

Closing: Nothing compared to the GH. This Hotel feels dated even if they have recently renovated. They certainly do start trying when they figure out you are disappointed. I've heard the comments about the PH and it does not have a Club. So the GH would be my only logical choice. Back in the area in two months so need to make a res change. Regards from home
Old Sep 10, 2006, 8:46 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
The Club lounge is not much to speak about. In the afternoon you have soft drinks and three types of cookies. Have the chocolate ones.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Take a suite instead...

As some really might be disappointed with the size of the rooms (35 sqm), I suggest booking a regular room and then upgrade to a suite at check-in (was offered to me at 800 AED, roughly 200 USD) incl. limo transfer, internet, club lounge access and breakfast.

The suites are very spacious (at least 70 sqm), have nice views as they are all on the higher floors and you really get recognized.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: SK*B, M&M
Any updated report from Hyatt Regency Dubai? I have a reservation in March for a short layover and a relaxing day at poolside, but I have understand this is not the best property for sunbathing.

comments appreciated,

Intra
Old Feb 18, 2010, 1:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by Intra
Any updated report from Hyatt Regency Dubai? I have a reservation in March for a short layover and a relaxing day at poolside, but I have understand this is not the best property for sunbathing.

comments appreciated,

Intra

If you like to enjoy the sun, I recommend the Grand & Park Dubai. The pool at the Park Hyatt pool is more intimate, but you could also use the spa adjacent to the pool, nice steam rooms.

Grand Hyatt is certainly more a resort than a business hotel, when it comes to the pool area. Hyatt Regency Dubai has a standard pool area for such a hotel located in the city centre.

Considering the often steep rates in the past, I chose not to book a Hyatt for a short layover/first night at DXB in the past.

USD 330 for a 6-7 hour break is simply not worth it...

The Le Meridien Dar al Sondos and the Holiday Inn Express Safa Park are very solid properties and often available 600-800 Dirham cheaper than the cheapest Hyatt, which is normally the Regency.

I also used the pool area of the Grand Hyatt without actually staying there, just parked at the property, went to the pool, ordered lunch at the pool and enjoyed the facilities before heading to the airport for a late departure.
Old May 22, 2010, 3:32 pm

Anyone been the Hyatt Regency Dubai recently, thinking of doing a matress night to get me to diamond, price is very resonable 520 AED right now and I am not looking much since I arrive in DXB around 9.30pm and leave around 2.00pm the next day
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:29 am

Programs: M&M FQT, BA G, Bonvoy LTT, WoH GLOB
would also appreciate any recent updates. The PH charges 1,475 for the daily rate which starts being over the top...the Regency is 800 in comparison, so I am wondering if its worth a try.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 2:44 am

Programs: LH, United, Hyatt, Air France
Originally Posted by banzani
would also appreciate any recent updates. The PH charges 1,475 for the daily rate which starts being over the top...the Regency is 800 in comparison, so I am wondering if its worth a try.
Grand Hyatt Dubai has some 960 - advance purchase rate.
The Hyatt Regency is getting old...and not worth the money you might save. PH has some week end rate and there is also a promotion with AMEX for longer stays in the three properties (but Hyatt rate)
Old Feb 3, 2011, 9:57 am

Does your assessment of the Regency also apply to the suites or only to the regular rooms. Rates for weekend I want are 520/840/1020 for the Regency/Grand/Park, respectively, so the Regency is significantly less. In any case, I would be wanting to use a guaranteed suite upgrade if possible.
Old Feb 5, 2011, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Actually, the rooms at the Regency are newer in comparison to the Grand and the property has been completely renovated about 8-9 years ago, with another soft renovation about two years ago ( new TV sets )

If you only care about saving money, the Regency is the way to go. The Grand is far more upscale ( however the rooms and some suites should be 'modernized' soon ) while a suite at the Park would be ( by far ) your best bet ( probably a Top 3 value for the suite upgrade cert system-wide )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.