Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Dubai REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2021, 2:23 pm

HR Dubai Creek was quite nice when it first opened, but very quickly went downhill and stayed down. They've never been able to command anything near the room rates that they presumably planned for, and together with Covid, I can only imagine the pressure to cut costs by this point. Hence, no alternative lounge arrangements.

HR Dubai felt very old when I last stayed a couple years back, and it's even further out than the HR Creek, so I can't see myself staying there anytime soon either. The traffic to/from the HR to the rest of Dubai is often terrible during busier hours.

The PH and GH are probably the only two that I actually find to be decent in Dubai (although I haven't tried Andaz yet). For the AED 200s mark, I would prefer a different chain.
Old Feb 8, 2021, 9:58 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by stargold
HR Dubai Creek was quite nice when it first opened, but very quickly went downhill and stayed down. They've never been able to command anything near the room rates that they presumably planned for, and together with Covid, I can only imagine the pressure to cut costs by this point. Hence, no alternative lounge arrangements.

HR Dubai felt very old when I last stayed a couple years back, and it's even further out than the HR Creek, so I can't see myself staying there anytime soon either. The traffic to/from the HR to the rest of Dubai is often terrible during busier hours.

The PH and GH are probably the only two that I actually find to be decent in Dubai (although I haven't tried Andaz yet). For the AED 200s mark, I would prefer a different chain.
I ate at the HR Dubai Creek Heights property a few times in December 2019 and found the food to be quite good, but the interior design of the lobby both architecturally and decoratively struck me as a hodgepodge of knick-knacks thrown together by an amateur. Weird layout and tacky decor. I've also heard reviews of the hotel starting off strong [it was supposed to open as a Jumeirah] but then quickly sliding.

HR Dubai will no doubt be old - I'm more wary of the highways they're throwing up right outside the hotel and I know traffic in the area is a nightmare, but the Gold Souq exit of the Palm Deira Metro is a four hundred meter walk outside the front doors so I'll be using that. 200-odd for a full-service Hyatt with club lounge puts it right up there with the Hyatt Places in the city. This might very well be a case of "you get what you pay for" - we shall see.

I stayed at the Andaz last October and found it quite nice but I will say this - I feel like it was still very much intended to be a Centric. The design was quirky and energetic, but it just felt like being a notch or two below "luxury." I've seen the architectural designs for the upcoming Hyatt Centric at La Mer, which was originally conceived as an Andaz but switched to a Centric when the owners swapped the brands with their Palm property, and it looks like it will be the nicest Centric in the world. Design-wise, definitely steps up from the one on the Palm. I'd like to check that one out when it opens in September.

khabah
Old Sep 25, 2021, 5:47 am

Just wrapped up a five-night stay here - some feedback below, more to follow in a full review:
  • Hotel was only selling base/club rooms, and the Emiri and Royal Suites for my stay. A few email exchanges revealed that "all Regency Suites" [the entry-level suites for Globalists] were sold out for my stay. The night before arrival, I saw that I was upgraded into one of them anyway - a pleasant surprise.
  • Arrival at the hotel was easy - staff very professional, acknowledged my status, gave me the rundown of benefits on property and offered to walk me to my room. I had requested a high-floor room in anticipation of the construction outside the hotel, and was given a room on the 19th floor.
  • My suite was very spacious with a separate living room and bedroom, and in good condition given its age [hotel was last renovated in 2002/3]. Excellent Grand Bed with soft sheets, full-sized Pharamacopia amenities in the bathroom which had a separate tub and spacious shower with bench, TV in the bathroom and double-sided closet. A few criticisms about the room, however:
    • The ceilings are VERY low, common for hotels built in the late 70s and early 80s. I'm 5'10" and felt like they were too low, so anyone over six feet might not appreciate this design characteristic.
    • The combination of low ceilings, not enough lighting, abundant dark wood paneling in the suites and heavy glazing on the windows meant the suite was very dark, even during the height of morning and afternoon.
    • The AC cannot be adjusted below 20 Celsius/68 Fahrenheit, so if you're like me and prefer freezing bedrooms, you're going to run aground here.
  • Breakfast for Globalists in the Regency Club only; I only partook once to-go which they graciously arranged via phone, but they have an egg station, yogurts, cheeses and a fairly decent spread. Be warned: the ventilation is poor so you're going to smell like fried oil no matter where you sit.
  • Happy hour from 6-8 consisted of a spread of hot dishes, salads, cheeses and appetizers that are plated behind a screen.
  • Used the gym once and found it well equipped. There are tennis courts, a running track and a pool, but I didn't use this as the water is a bit murky. The locker rooms are old, and I passed on using the sauna/steam room thanks to the age of the place and the audience of loud, obnoxious guests in the area.
  • Service is fantastic - this was my first stay here but the staff treated me like a regular and quickly memorized my preferences from the first day.
  • On the subject of nearby construction: there is a major flyover being built on the waterside of the hotel mere feet from the building, obstructing views from the Regency Club lounge, The Bar on the first floor and the health club deck. It's an ugly sea of plain concrete with a lot of work done but more to go. I didn't find it noisy thanks to a high-floor room, but beware that it is an active work site.
  • There is a metro station [Gold Souq on the Green Line] in one of the new buildings across the roundabout outside the hotel; it's a short walk of under five minutes, but some of the sidewalks are under construction and you'll have to dart across traffic since the pedestrian walkways aren't ready.
The location in Deira will most definitely not serve everyone but all in all, this hotel is a STEAL - especially at its current rates. I would come back as I don't mind using the metro to get to downtown, and as long as the rates stay where they are given the hotel's age and quirks. I plan to return to Dubai and give the new Centric at La Mer [opening December 15th] a try; I drove by it and saw furniture on the balconies, and the building looks ready for occupancy. Now if only Hyatt can get a hotel in the downtown core of the city... surely there's an Unbound they can convert or a Caption they can build?

khabah
Old Sep 26, 2021, 2:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
khabah I have a 18 night reservation there in November. If it's ok I'll stay additional nights. Otherwise, I'll stay in the Al Seef area. I try to book hotels in and around old Dubai. Not into all the tourists and skyscrapers further west. I'll come back and post a short overview of my stay then. I'm not on business, just an annual winter getaway.
khabah likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:12 am

Global Adventurer 18 nights is a commitment, but you might enjoy it; the hotel is really a bargain for what you get, and the staff are great. We're similar in that the skyscrapers and tourists don't appeal to me in the slightest; Deira isn't poster beautiful but the personality it has as the original core of Dubai is something they can never build or recreate elsewhere.

I actually had coffee at the Canopy by Hilton in Al Seef, and while Al Seef is infuriating in that it's a Disneyfied new-build designed to look like old Dubai, the three Hiltons there are amazingly cheap [usually even cheaper than this Hyatt - I've often seen the Canopy for 45 USD!], relatively new and the pedestrian access to the long promenade along the Creek is delightful. You can take the little abra boats across the Creek over to the Deira side for just 2 AED; I did that after my coffee date and wandered through Baniyas Square and the surrounding streets back up to the Hyatt, and I love the energy.

Keep us posted on your trip!

khabah
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold, IHG Silver, Choice Platinum, Wyndham Gold
khabah Thank you. I'll keep you posted. I've stayed at the heritage hotel at Al seef for 20 nights and liked it because the buildings are spread out and I had a creek and souk view. Wasn't bad even though it's all made to look like it's from yesteryear. 18 nights is actually short for me because I usually stay a month at a time. I'll be in Dubai for almost 3 months. Did the same thing before there at other hotels, couldn't be worse than Hampton airport. Russians were fighting there 😀 That place was a zoo.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:46 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Great Hotel - Lots of construction!

Hyatt Regency Dubai

2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Hyatt Regency Dubai

Deira Corniche Alkhaleej Road Dubai, AE

Great Hotel - Lots of construction! (14 Photos)

Hyatt Regency Dubai

Check In

The Hyatt Regency Dubai is selling rooms at a ridiculously cheap rate at the moment considering it is seen as a 4.5 star hotel. I got my room, with Club access for £65 a night – so I arrived with trepidation to see what I might have been missing….. I arrived at 0003 and check in was a breeze – the chap was super friendly, very informative and I felt welcomed.  The foyer was nice and modern and still quite busy despite the time of night! 9A531BCE-1565-4670-B492-3711FDFF6D25.jpegBD8EA3F8-F28E-497D-A896-E14EF7109E28.jpeg

Room

My room was large and while it was a tad dated, or possibly to be fairer, not to my taste it was well equipped.  The bed was firm – not quite to my liking but I did have 2 great nights sleep.  The hotel was quiet – my room was on the 16th floor which has great views over the bay towards the cruise ships and the construction....

The bathroom was nice and big with a separate tub and a round shower which is not something you see everyday and felt like a spa. Overall, while the furniture looked a little dated, I could not fault the amenities in the room.  The bathroom amenities were by Hyatt and a company called La Dentente which I had never heard of but they were plentiful and replenished every day. There was also lots of big towels and dental kits and loofahs – actually it was a pretty well stocked bathroom.

1CDDB60C-1BE3-4368-AD8B-E25F91CFD6E1.jpeg06EB6BC7-6650-4F62-8B2F-FF685AF3B0F5.jpeg97A64653-D9D2-4EAE-AB30-1B500D10CF5A.jpegE0372730-BB20-497D-9744-C1117A7B7E04.jpeg64F73447-EF37-49AE-BC54-8177DCC03502.jpeg8B401ED9-8593-4FC6-98AE-F5607AFC5AE0.jpeg

Service

Service was very friendly wherever I went - couldn't fault it actually. 

Dining

My room came with Regency Club access which had views of a lovely highway – I think the hotel must be livid with the construction, and I now see why the prices are very low for Dubai in Oct.  The Club was very well stocked for the 2 hr cocktail hour – nice white wine, bubbly should you wish, with beer etc.  The food area was served by the chef in this COVID era but had plenty of good choices – one of the better lounges I have been to for food and drink out the world so a definite plus. Also it was not packed and quite civilised in this place.

The hotel has a buffet restaurant where I did breakfast – very much like a scrum and I didn’t last long. There is also a well renowned Japanese restaurant and a Greek.  Now the Greek (Helios) is hard to find but boy is it delightful – great views, quiet (cause no one can find it!), and a lovely place to sit and drink cocktails. Within the complex there is also a pizza place (the pizzas looked delicious), a coffee shop and an ice rink.  Yup a full blown ice rink. There is also a small mall with a 7-11 so you can get snacks or sun tan cream if you have forgotten to pack yours……!!  

34C87F02-0EEA-4A53-9C6F-461693FC0BBE.jpeg4F7B660D-F7E7-42A6-9B1C-D50A6CCE174C.jpeg638AF2BD-A0EC-4A54-A920-9359586D6142.jpegCF0974F1-F7AF-465F-B073-CE73E106B931.jpeg7CABB239-A31A-4D5E-AE43-8B70C74727EC.jpeg1BA8C633-4D05-4CFD-9C1D-F3821CDC7C5C.jpeg

Overall

The pool area is small and well I cant hide it….. right next to a new highway being built – and when I say next to, I mean the highway is about 10ft away from the hotel!!!  It is also on the extended flight path to Dubai International which I actually loved…..! There was not much noise from the building but no view at all which is a shame as I think it used t be nice looking out over the port.  A pool bar which had modern dance music playing, and served good cocktails. 

Overall I thought I would be disappointed with this hotel as it is a little older looking in the pictures and stuck in the midst of some major construction, but you know, I wasn’t.  I actually quite liked it.  The staff were super friendly.  I got a late check out without evening asking, and it had everything you need in a hotel – great amenities, great lounge, a pool that has sun and cover, and lots of food choices.  I think if you want to come to Dubai, and don’t mind getting an Uber/taxi to the sights, this is a great choice for value for money.  It is walking distance to the gold souk but that is about it.  However the hotel puts a bus onto to the Dubai Mall and a few other places, including a public beach.

The hotel is a bit far away from the main sights other than the gold souk - however taxis are plentiful.  What is poor is the construction around the hotel, and while I didnt find it noisy at all, it is unpleasant to look at!

Great Hotel - Lots of construction!

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Dubai?

No, thank you.
Yes
Stewie Mac likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:02 pm

@aks120

Thanks a bunch for your review. I actually like older hotels. Can't stand new ones. I'm old school. As long as everything works and it doesn't smell old. I'm staight. That general area is where I like. I like to walk so walking to metro and seeing the cruise ships is up my alley. I'll only get taxis to/from the airport.

Is that spread with the salads and pasta for the cocktail hour? Or was that breakfast buffet?

I'm looking forward to my stay and since i'm a globalist now, I hope to be given complimentary club lounge access. Thanks for the tip about the Greek restaurant. I'll probably get food from there daily

My rate including all tax/fees was $100 per night.
aks120 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:15 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
@aks120

Is that spread with the salads and pasta for the cocktail hour? Or was that breakfast buffet?
The salad and pasta, plus the other side (not in picture unfortunately) had a few hot dishes that were really tasty - were all in the Regency Club cocktail hour.

No ‘old smell’ at this hotel at all.

The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was a bit chaotic for me to see all on offer but there was a big variety.

aks120
Old Oct 6, 2021, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by aks120
The salad and pasta, plus the other side (not in picture unfortunately) had a few hot dishes that were really tasty - were all in the Regency Club cocktail hour.

No ‘old smell’ at this hotel at all.

The breakfast buffet in the restaurant was a bit chaotic for me to see all on offer but there was a big variety.

aks120
Thanks for replying! Wow, that's like having free dinner So, for folks that eat twice per day, they can save some serious money, and FREE beer too? Which is mainly what I drink anyway. If they allow you to drink two beers per visit, this hotel will work out fantastically and more for me Thanks again!
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:34 pm

Global Adventurer Happy hour is free pour and the staff are very generous, so even if you've had the two beers you're after you'll most likely have staff walking towards you with a third, fourth or more! The evening spread was enough to build dinner out of, so added onto the amazingly low rates here, I'll say it again: HR Dubai is a STEAL.

khabah
Global Adventurer and aks120 like this.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 12:54 am

Programs: Qatar Plat OW*E, HH Diamond, Hyatt Exp, Marriott Titanium
Where are you all seeing sub $50 prices for this. I'm looking at October and November and base rooms are starting at $105 pn.
Old Oct 7, 2021, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by GratefulSmile
Where are you all seeing sub $50 prices for this. I'm looking at October and November and base rooms are starting at $105 pn.
I haven't seen prices that low recently. But they did have some really low prices last month and the month before. If you're staying for a week, maybe buy the entertainer coupon app. Hyatt regency Dubai diera is listed. Book one night get one night free. There's 3 of those coupons in there. You can use 3 on a total of 6 nights. So pay for 3 nights and get 3 nights free. You present the app at check-in and they discount it by entering their code in your entertainer app. You get buy one get one free offers too and percentage off total bill. That's what I plan to use to make my booking even cheaper.
https://www.theentertainerme.com/en-ae/dubai-n-emirates
Old Dec 19, 2021, 2:48 am

I was there for 26 nights over a couple of bookings in Nov/Dec. I have to say, my experience was excellent contrary to what I was expecting. The hotel and the next door galleria residence was pretty much full my entire stay.

As a globalist, you can't beat the complimentary breakfast buffet, afternoon snacks/soft drinks/tea/coffee, and the dinner buffet with unlimited alcoholic beverages including spirits.

They have an outdoor terrace for folks trying to avoid covid where you can eat and drink.

Of all the places I've stayed so far in Dubai, I like this location (even though most people don't), because it's walkable to all of diera which I prefer over the concrete and steel buildings downtown.

The staff is amazing. And what I like the most is the fact that inside this hotel there's an actual grocery store with regular prices and a pharmacy, so you can buy just about anything you need on-site without walking into town. Also, several restaurants on site. I also like that the windows open up as I don't use hotel central air conditioning anymore since the pandemic. I like fresh air.

I've already booked this hotel for next year for almost a month. And I'm going back there in two weeks. Very satisfied. However, unfortunately it's hard to get a suite upgrade right now due to the influx of people in Dubai for the Expo, Shopping Festival, and Peak travel season there. But, I was upgraded to a Sea View room.

The sea view rooms are very nice, because of the comings and goings of the cruise ships and merchant boats. Very nice indeed. So nice, I tipped every service employee there before I left.

Last edited by Global Adventurer; Dec 19, 2021 at 2:53 am
Old Dec 19, 2021, 6:49 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Global Adventurer
I was there for 26 nights over a couple of bookings in Nov/Dec. I have to say, my experience was excellent contrary to what I was expecting. The hotel and the next door galleria residence was pretty much full my entire stay.

As a globalist, you can't beat the complimentary breakfast buffet, afternoon snacks/soft drinks/tea/coffee, and the dinner buffet with unlimited alcoholic beverages including spirits.

They have an outdoor terrace for folks trying to avoid covid where you can eat and drink.

Of all the places I've stayed so far in Dubai, I like this location (even though most people don't), because it's walkable to all of diera which I prefer over the concrete and steel buildings downtown.

The staff is amazing. And what I like the most is the fact that inside this hotel there's an actual grocery store with regular prices and a pharmacy, so you can buy just about anything you need on-site without walking into town. Also, several restaurants on site. I also like that the windows open up as I don't use hotel central air conditioning anymore since the pandemic. I like fresh air.

I've already booked this hotel for next year for almost a month. And I'm going back there in two weeks. Very satisfied. However, unfortunately it's hard to get a suite upgrade right now due to the influx of people in Dubai for the Expo, Shopping Festival, and Peak travel season there. But, I was upgraded to a Sea View room.

The sea view rooms are very nice, because of the comings and goings of the cruise ships and merchant boats. Very nice indeed. So nice, I tipped every service employee there before I left.
this was my go-to hotel in the late 90s. Monthly basis. No other Hyatts then obviously, but loved the hotel.
Global Adventurer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.